• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Brings back the memories mang.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I should move to Alaska. I miss having to put a little effort into watching a movie I really want to watch. Everything just feels so thin anymore.

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
e546762483cfa658872ee631ee6e5909--jack-nicklaus-chicken-nuggets.jpg

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
I can confirm this, I drive by one all the time and ask myself how the hell they stay open. Didn't know there were only 10 left lol.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe that's why the Alaskan government pays people a few grand a year to live there. Compensate for all those late fees

farmland

Oct 30, 2017
There's nothing like going to a rental store and browsing. I love streaming but I do miss it.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
We had a video store nearby a few years back. Loved it. Then came Redbox. I'd beg my wife to stop with the fucking redbox but no. Eventually the video store is shuttered. Now her complaint? Not enough choices in the god damned Redbox!

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so they don't even have new movies? Just whatever they had over a decade ago?
This actually sounds like hell.
No, they have new movies. It's just that it's controlled locally using resources/systems left over from the old days, the 6 Alaska Blockbusters likely don't have the same ownership as the other 4.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of the first jobs I had out of high school was Blockbuster. Just a CSR. Before I got hired at my most recent job last year, I put down CSR at Blockbuster on my resume. My background check was in jeopardy for a couple days because they couldn't verify my employment at Blockbuster, as basically it was so completely dissolved by this point. I'm also unsure why they got hung up on what was basically the least impressive bullet point of my resume. Why would anyone lie about being a CSR at Blockbuster?

Ludono

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm part of a whole generation that grew up with going to the local video store on Fridays to pick the rentals for the weekend. I really miss it sometimes because it was a family activity and something as simple as going to the store to decide on one or two movies for the weekend felt more social to me that whipping on Netflix and just browsing a screen.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Live in Alaska.

Don't visit blockbuster, but I hit redbox often.

Bandwidth caps are terrible up here.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Family Video, at least in the midwest, holds up the video rental mantle as all the small stores died a long slow death. Never rented at Blockbuster, as the rentals were always too expensive there compared to smaller chains.

Taurus Silver

Big ol' Nerd
Oct 29, 2017
I miss video stores. I wonder why Blockbuster didn't go the Netflix route and start a streaming service?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I miss being to go to one with parents and renting a game for the weekend. One of the best things to look forward to in elementary.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can confirm, am from there and have been to many of them recently. More of a curiousity thing though don't think I bought anything

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
The feeling when seeing the game you want is there but there were also copies behind the display case was amazing. Was also able to rent weird games like Eternal Ring for the PS2.

I miss video stores. I wonder why Blockbuster didn't go the Netflix route and start a streaming service?

Distinctly remember them digging in their heels and then attempting to move to mail based rentals... As Netflix was on to streaming.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Family Video, at least in the midwest, holds up the video rental mantle as all the small stores died a long slow death. Never rented at Blockbuster, as the rentals were always too expensive there compared to smaller chains.

Yes, they're doing pretty well and own the land their stores sit on, so they should be around for the next decade or so.

Very similar to walking into a Blockbuster.