• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I have a bad back and am unable to work and am going to have major surgery soon so I'm receiving food stamps. It's not a lot, but every little bit helps. I just got a phone call from the DTA telling me I will be receiving my Feb food stamps in a few days (2-3 weeks early)and that will be the end of it.

I wonder if this will be the thing that causes Trump to declare a national emergency regarding the wall, being that so many of his supporters are lower middle class/poor whites who are receiving food stamps?

Oct 26, 2017
I have a bad back and am unable to work and am going to have major surgery soon so I'm receiving food stamps. It's not a lot, but every little bit helps. I just got a phone call from the DTA telling me I will be receiving my Feb food stamps in a few days (2-3 weeks early)and that will be the end of it.

I wonder if this will be the thing that causes Trump to declare a national emergency regarding the wall, being that so many of his supporters are lower middle class/poor whites who are receiving food stamps?
Ya, snap is issuing funds early because they fear if it was the normal release time theyd be out of funding.

Shit is terrifying

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

What makes you think he gives two shits about his supporters? He doesn't. He'll starve them and blame the Dems and his base will believe him

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Lol I got a chuckle out that last paragraph too
Yeah, people's pain is hilarious.

That said, he can reopen the government and say that he's going To solve a problem that's of the Dem's making (which he's done before). This looks like exactly what he's going to do.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did a quick Google search and didn't find any official info saying food stamps would be cut off after February. I'd double check on that before panicking. I dont think the shutdown will go another month anyway but even so I believe they'll find a way to get food stamps out.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck on affording food OP. Hopefully the shutdown comes to an end soon for you and everyone else hurting from this.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
It's all he cares about. Hes been governing exclusively to his base.

The thing about his base is that no matter what he does to them, what are they going to do? Vote Democrat?

It's how the GOP gets away with what it does in red states. Sometimes they find the bottom (as the fact that Kansas and Louisiana currently have Democratic governors can attest), but sometimes there is no bottom and you just keep digging, like in Mississippi or Arkansas.

Oct 28, 2017
He's been governing exclusively to himself you mean

GOP has done a great trick. Theyve convinced their base what's good for the elite is good for the poor. That somehow the benefits will trickle down.

But the one thing that may trump (pun not intended) is their disgust for anyone who isnt a white heterosexual man.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Think of it this way. The gov't will start saving tons of money if it stays shut down for much longer. If the wall's the national emergency, then this is great news! Your food stamps will soon be wall stamps.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
I did a quick Google search and didn't find any official info saying food stamps would be cut off after February. I'd double check on that before panicking. I dont think the shutdown will go another month anyway but even so I believe they'll find a way to get food stamps out.
Tomorrow is the cutoff. There's no money after the 20th so money for March will have to come from the government reopening or from Mitch McConnell letting the senate vote to fund the USDA.

When will I get my next food stamp deposit?
After your early deposit, we expect that your next benefit will be on your regular deposit date in March. However, that will only happen if the government shutdown ends by then.

https://www.freshebt.com/government-shutdown-ebt-food-stamp-benefits/

The USDA is asking states to issue February's benefits on Jan. 20, earlier than usual, to take advantage of a 2018 continuing resolution that kept the government funded temporarily as Congress unsuccessfully tried to pass an appropriations bill for fiscal 2019. The CR expired Dec. 21 but allows the government to make payments for 30 days after it expires. SNAP is fully funded for January.

With the partial shutdown in its 19th day Wednesday, SNAP funding for March was uncertain.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/09/usd...anteed-through-february-despite-shutdown.html

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
It's all he cares about. Hes been governing exclusively to his base.

Republicans have been fucking their base over for as long as I've been alive (I'm 36). Actions speak louder then words. They say they care about their base, but then do everything in their power to screw said base over, and the people just bend over and take it.

Trump isn't doing anything new, it's GOP playbook 101.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so sorry, OP.

The approach that USDA announced on January 8 to fund SNAP in February will not be available for March benefits. A month from now, and possibly sooner, USDA will need to inform states about whether sufficient funding is available for March. If it isn't, USDA will need to instruct states on how to implement a cut in SNAP benefits.[6] At that time, less than $3 billion in funding will likely be available in March because some of the "contingency reserve" will probably need to be used in February, as discussed above.

SNAP benefits currently amount to about $4.8 billion a month,[7] so even the full $3 billion reserve could not fully fund March benefits. If USDA determines it has a shortfall of approximately $1.8 billion and directs that the partial funding be spread evenly across all 19 million SNAP households, the average cut per household would be at least $90, or close to 40 percent. If USDA needs to tap the contingency reserve in February, the cuts required for March would be larger.

Moreover, some households would see substantially larger cuts if the Administration either protected some households but not others from cuts, or if it shut down the entire program after the amount left in the contingency reserve is redeemed in March, which would leave some households with no SNAP benefits at all if their date to receive benefits comes after the reserve is depleted (most states issue benefits to different households on different days of the month).

Finally, larger households and those with lower incomes would likely be subject to larger cuts in dollar terms. For example, the typical household of four receives about $450 a month in SNAP benefits; if its SNAP in February were cut in proportion to the total cut needed to stay within the appropriation, it would face about a $170 cut.

What will happen in the next two to six weeks is cause for great concern. USDA, states, and their EBT partners face a substantial implementation challenge to carry out the Administration's plan to have states issue February SNAP benefits by January 20.

If the shutdown continues and USDA determines it does not have the authority to extend SNAP in March without congressional action, many low-income households would be at risk of serious hunger and hardship. Emergency food assistance providers such as food banks and food pantries, as well as other local community service providers, would likely see dramatic increases in demand as families and individuals scrambled to fill the hole in their monthly food budgets. In addition, the more than 250,000 supermarkets, grocery stores, and other retailers that participate in SNAP would see a substantial drop in SNAP redemptions, which in many cases constitute a significant share of their sales.

The appropriate solution to this problem is to end the shutdown and fund Agriculture Department (and other) programs and governmental functions. The House has passed legislation to reopen the government that is virtually identical to bills that the Senate Appropriations Committee earlier approved on a broad bipartisan basis, but Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has declined to allow a vote on that measure. In the days ahead, the House will try another approach — to consider and pass four major appropriations bills that the full Senate earlier passed, as a package, by a 92-6 vote, including appropriations for the Department of Agriculture. Senator McConnell has indicated, however, that he will not allow votes on these bills either. Congressional leaders have a responsibility to step up, re-open the government, and ensure that millions of people, including 38 million SNAP recipients, are not at risk of unnecessary hunger and hardship.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/food-...ruary-2019-but-millions-face-cuts-if-shutdown

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

The funding for SNAP is only through February. That's why recipients are getting an advance now because they don't know when it'll be funded next.

The GOP love this though, unfortunately. I hope it gets funded soon and you don't have to worry, OP.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
The thing about his base is that no matter what he does to them, what are they going to do? Vote Democrat?

This! This is what people still blindly believe. They're not going to vote Democrat. They would rather die than vote Democrat. They don't live in the same reality as the rest of us.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I got the same call, and the money is already loaded. I hope people can find ways to make it stretch since there doesn't seem to be much movement from the White House on the shutdown.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The idea that he is doing something wrong that his base will hold home accountable for is not a thought that will ever enter Trump's skull.

The only ways this plays out is that McConnell caves and we can flip some Republicans or the Dems cave and Trump gets his wall money.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Little sympathy here for those who are most in need.

What's the difference if people are stupid enough to vote for Trump? People in need have no political affiliation. Sad that some here would rather let those with a different opinion to their own suffer. That's not what charity is about. Luckily most Americans know this. Local charities and supports will have to pick up the slack where the Federal government does not.

Sad.

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017

I think everyone you know on food stamps should encourage any federal workers they know to go on strike.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Do y'all really think this is the topic to make jokes about this shit

Hope you can make it through, OP

Deleted member 9197

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OP, I'm sorry this is affecting you, and I really hope we find a way to resolve this before you have to suffer the consequences. Do you have access to a local food bank or any other way to get food while this plays itself out?

ScandiNavy

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Norway
Food stamps, as a concept, would be deemed as degrading in my country.
Just give people money and let them cope however they see fit.

Last edited:

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
The fuck...are we back to 1789 or what...helping programs suspended because of the ego of that orange moron?

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's probably not but people often use humor to cope with tragedy.
They should probably remember that there are actually other people in the world who don't have the same coping mechanism of black humor. It's such a shitty, myopic thing to laugh at generalized misfortune because it makes you feel better.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Little sympathy here for those who are most in need.

What's the difference if people are stupid enough to vote for Trump? People in need have no political affiliation. Sad that some here would rather let those with a different opinion to their own suffer. That's not what charity is about. Luckily most Americans know this. Local charities and supports will have to pick up the slack where the Federal government does not.

Sad.

I have all the sympathy in the world for those affected by this. I just hope the victims recognize who's doing this to them instead of getting all Stockholm syndromey.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If it gets to the point at which food stamps are no longer available, that is the point at which American society will start to revolt. As long as bellies are fed, people can be controlled.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
This really sucks. I run a pantry at the organization I work at and so many of our clients are getting nervous that they won't have the resources they need to get through the coming days and months. The winter weather only makes things 10x worse.

I really hope you find a solution OP. I don't know what sort of resources you have in your area but I know some of the providers in my area have emergency nutrition services and with your injury you might qualify for delivery.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Do y'all really think this is the topic to make jokes about this shit

Hope you can make it through, OP
If you're referring to my post (since it's the one of the few I see that seems possible to construe as a joke), it was a satirical attack on the notion that Trump'll be coming to the rescue with a declaration of national emergency for his wall (which is the reason we're in this situation in the first place). If the point of it wasn't clear and it just came across as a lame attempt at being a wiseguy, I apologize. And perhaps there's another time and place for those criticisms, or I at least could've prefaced it by expressing my sympathy so it didn't sound so cynical and cold-hearted.

People affected by this absolutely have 100% of my sympathy, and if I weren't just barely staying afloat financially myself, I'd strongly consider donating to a food bank or something to help those in need.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
If you're referring to my post (since it's the one of the few I see that seems possible to construe as a joke), it was a satirical attack on the notion that Trump'll be coming to the rescue with a declaration of national emergency for his wall (which is the reason we're in this situation in the first place). If the point of it wasn't clear and it just came across as a lame attempt at being a wiseguy, I apologize. And perhaps there's another time and place for those criticisms, or I at least could've prefaced it by expressing my sympathy so it didn't sound so cynical and cold-hearted.

People affected by this absolutely have 100% of my sympathy, and if I weren't just barely staying afloat financially myself, I'd strongly consider donating to a food bank or something to help those in need.

If it takes longer for you to explain your joke than to tell the joke then don't tell it