• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
"Will somebody PLEASE think of the gamers? They're being prosecuted online just for using mods ;_;"

Calm down, this isn't that serious.
Who said I wasn't calm?

If people can come in here and complain about people using mods, then I can come in here and complain about them.
Lol

I wonder where you got this "general consensus" from.
From reading various threads about RE2, and specifically Mr. X. I've seen this sentiment frequently, and often expressed in the same breath in which that poster admonishes other players for disliking Mr. X.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Gosh, how entitled people are to want to play a game. Those monsters.
Also what does that actually have to do with this thread? Devs didnt "cave" on anything here? You're just spouting nonsense shit for the sake of it.

It's kinda hilarious how upset the gatekeeping hypocrites like yourself get about this kind of thing. No, giving a game options to allow more people to play it isn't going to take away your precious Dark Souls. That's nonsense and you know it.

Dark Souls became popular because you had no choice but to play by the rules of the dev. And even popular is an understatement. Dark Souls ran counter to every AAA game in the late 00s, that required constant handholding and streamlined systems. It sparked a movement and the industry is better off for it. I don't think that happens had From let the gamer play at their own pace.

As for the rest of your post, enjoy your handholding if that's how you want to play. I'll still be here to tell you you're wrong.

id.

Oct 27, 2017
There was nothing passive about my post thanks very much.

"Why bother" is easily answered with "It adds an extra level of anxiety that those with anxiety issues can't handle, so removing it allows people to play the game that otherwise would not have been able to."

Yeah. And I imagine to some people removing Mr. X is on the same level as raising or removing the carry weight limit in Fallout. To them it's just an obstacle that's unnecessary to enjoying their game experience.

Either way it doesn't really matter, and mocking someone for using this mod is silly.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls became popular because you had no choice but to play by the rules of the dev. And even popular is an understatement. Dark Souls ran counter to every AAA game in the late 00s, that required constant handholding and streamlined systems. It sparked a movement and the industry is better off for it. I don't think that happens had From let the gamer play at their own pace.

As for the rest of your post, enjoy your handholding if that's how you want to play. I'll still be here to tell you you're wrong.
Dark Souls became popular because it was a really well crafted game, with a good challenge to it.

A mod that removes Mr X from Resident Evil 2 doesn't change that at all. Your inability to feel empathy for people is honestly genuinely worrying.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
If you're gonna mod the difficulty out of games and brag about it on the internet, then we get to poke fun at you. Sorry, those are the rules. I don't make them, I just play by them.

(Great avatar by the way, ours are late 90s lo-fi album friends.)

Ha! I didn't catch your NMH until I looked closer and saw past the sailor hat.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
"Why bother" is easily answered with "It adds an extra level of anxiety that those with anxiety issues can't handle, so removing it allows people to play the game that otherwise would not have been able to."
But they can handle being relentlessly stalked by everything else in the game? At the end of the day, I think most people who use this mod are just people who don't want to be rushed. Again, do as you will, but I don't feel the game is better for it.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
You can't compare playing on easy mode with this, easy mode is at least still playing the game the way it was meant, this is kinda a weird choice for a mod.
Surely this rationale means that any mod is "a weird choice for a mod," as all of them modify the game contrary to how it was made. New textures, models, sounds: they are all not what the developers put in or meant for the players to experience.

Fedeuy

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"It adds an extra level of anxiety that those with anxiety issues can't handle, so removing it allows people to play the game that otherwise would not have been able to."
Oh ffs, thats your answer?, ok, better get to mod the shit out of every game with a pursuing enemy then, anything before trying to overcome obstacles right?.
Not every game is for everyone, sorry that this is so hard to accept.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
But they can handle being relentlessly stalked by everything else in the game? At the end of the day, I think most people who use this mod are just people who don't want to be rushed. Again, do as you will, but I don't feel the game is better for it.
You aren't relentlessly stalked by other things in the game to the level of Mr X though. He's a giant foreboding presence, designed to get your pulse racing when you hear those footsteps no matter where you are. That's definitely fun for you an I, but people with anxiety issues? That thing can be too much in a way that the regular enemies are not.

Oh ffs, thats your answer?, ok, better get to mod the shit out of every game with a pursuing enemy then, anything before trying to overcome obstacles right?.
Sure, that'd certainly be great for a lot of players for a lot of games. Wouldn't make a lot of sense in something like Alien Isolation where it's the core mechanic, but something like RE2 where it's an enemy that's not even in the game that much? Sure why not?
Not every game is for everyone, but allowing people to remove a small part of it so that more people can play it is a thing that
a) Doesn't impact your experience in literally any way at all.
b) Allows people who would not have been able to play the game to play the game.

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
Then maybe they shouldnt be playing a horror game?

And yes while this doesnt effect us personally, that doesnt make it any less laughable

It's pretty cringy that you care this much lmao maybe they can play the game however they want? We all beat it normally. who cares if someone wants to remove Mr. X?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Why would anyone want to deliberately take out one of the best parts of the game..

Might as well just stream it on YouTube instead.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

people are modding the game into a game that they want, creating a game variant for themselves. why can't you accept this? why does their variant have to be for you?

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
This is great news for anyone finding those portions of the game too difficult or too stressful. Though I gotta say, for all the trouble, you may be better served just watching a playthrough in 4K with headphones on.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Nobody is trying to prevent them. It's a discussion thread, and the responses are a mix between "Great" and "I think it's to the detriment of / would ruin the experience".
I know you've been posting in the thread regularly, but you've missed how the spectrum of responses ranges from "Great" to "Don't play the game."

And even the ones that don't go that far are often patronizing and condescending to those who'd choose to use the mod, which is also not cool. (Not yours, specifically.)

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody is trying to prevent them. It's a discussion thread, and the responses are a mix between "Great" and "I think it's to the detriment of / would ruin the experience".

Some of the posts in here are ahsolutely saying people who play like this are wrong and shouldn't be anywhere near their precious game. It's utter arrogance and gamer gatekeeping that i thought would be less acceptable here.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I think in this case it has value. This fundamentlaly changes the way you experience the game. Maybe you download this mod since it's available and have that experience. But maybe if it wasn't available you'd still the game out anyway and find yourself appreciating it in a better way.
Personally I used to always play games on easy mode. After playing some hard games without an easy mode I found myself discovering something I truly enjoy that I otherwise would not have experienced had I the option of an easy mode.

But even still, I don't understand how criticising people for playing the game in a different way has value?

It might fundamentally change the way the game is experienced, many mods do that but surely the way people want to experience the game is a personal decision? Especially when mods are involved.

Even selecting difficulty is a personal decision, I just don't see the value in being critical of how others choose to do things unless it's actively harming others.

I don't wish to try and make people feel bad for playing something the way they choose to play it, I personally just want everyone to be happy, what they do isn't having an impact on me and my life or my happiness.

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
"Gamers" these days are soft I tell ya lol. Imagine taking out a big component of the game because they suck at it. He's not even hard to avoid...

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
I personally find no reason for me to do it but I guess if you find him way too stressful than it could help you continue the game.

Fedeuy

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Antagonistic behaviour
Do you get angry because people choose to play that way ?
nah, i do find the stupid justifications, well, stupid and overblown.
But clearly im in the minority here, so, lets remove the challenge from every single game out there, no effort required, its 2019 after all.

people are modding the game into a game that they want, creating a game variant for themselves. why can't you accept this? why does their variant have to be for you?
I accept it, i also accept its nonsensical and stupid, but you do you.
Congrats on being so woke.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
If Mario were on PC someone would make a mod to remove the ability to fall off of platforms

id.

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody from what I can tell is upset that anyone is criticizing the mod.

But there is more criticism of the people who want to use the mod more than the actual mod itself, and that's why we are saying this thread reeks of gatekeeping bullshit.

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ruining the gameplay design the developers made for the game. The creators of this should be ashamed of themselves.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

hahahhah

I used a trainer/godmode for both Dark Souls 3 and RE2R and it was an awesome better way for me to play. definitely could not care less what anyone thinks

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the posts in here are ahsolutely saying people who play like this are wrong and shouldn't be anywhere near their precious game. It's utter arrogance and gamer gatekeeping that i thought would be less acceptable here.

I can understand someone saying "people who play like this are wrong", as for "[they] shouldn't be anywhere near their precious game" I'm seeing it more as people saying 'You're missing the point of an experience like Resident Evil 2 if you remove Mr. X'. I could see people responding similarly to an auto-save mod for Dark Souls, for instance.

I suppose there is some weird language being used around this, like 'cowardly', but I do understand a negative reaction to people modifying (and subjectively seeing it as ultimately damaging) the experience in that way.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
But even still, I don't understand how criticising people for playing the game in a different way has value?

It might fundamentally change the way the game is experienced, many mods do that but surely the way people want to experience the game is a personal decision? Especially when mods are involved.

Even selecting difficulty is a personal decision, I just don't see the value in being critical of how others choose to do things unless it's actively harming others.

I don't wish to try and make people feel bad for playing something the way they choose to play it, I personally just want everyone to be happy, what they do isn't having an impact on me and my life or my happiness.

I do see what you mean. "Criticism" is too much of a strong word I think.
I think we can discuss this without being insulting or rude to peoples playing preferences.
Some people take it too far.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Surely this rationale means that any mod is "a weird choice for a mod," as all of them modify the game contrary to how it was made. New textures, models, sounds: they are all not what the developers put in or meant for the players to experience.

Texture mods, visual mods, gameplay tweaks and such are mods that are supposed to adjust the experience without significantly changing the core gameplay, removing a whole core feature such as Mr. X is not comparable.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
As someone who does cope with anxiety on a serious level I can understand how his presence in the game can suck but I chose to approach it as making the game more of a challenge. If people feel the need to have him removed that is their choice and their right and we should respect that.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Texture mods, visual mods, gameplay tweaks and such are mods that are supposed to adjust the experience without significantly changing the core gameplay, removing a whole core feature such as Mr. X is not comparable.
Surely the degree to which a mod affects the player's experience is something only the designers of the game could determine? Seems strange to me, especially with the value placed on visual and audio design, to dismiss one as acceptable and the other as not. Whole teams at studios exist to create art and sound for a game, but why is their contribution less valuable and able to be replaced?

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Whole teams at studios exist to create art and sound for a game, but why is their contribution less valuable and able to be replaced?

What the hell are you talking about? How does any of this has anything to do with the conversation at hand?

What's so hard to understand that some mods impact the the game more than others?

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think the fact that some people needed to mod him out is a testament to how damn good he is at being a horror LOL

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Surely the degree to which a mod affects the player's experience is something only the designers of the game could determine? Seems strange to me, especially with the value placed on visual and audio design, to dismiss one as acceptable and the other as not. Whole teams at studios exist to create art and sound for a game, but why is their contribution less valuable and able to be replaced?

Visuals and audio are made in support of gameplay, so it's not like all aspects are equivalent to the final experience. I can certainly see how someone would think removing Mr. X would result in a player cheating themselves out of the 'real' RE2 Experience to a much higher degree than changing the colour of the chairs, for instance.

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
I don't necessarily agree with this mod and how it changes the game but if you really need it to experience RE2 go for it I guess. I would just reiterate that Mr.X is nowhere near as bad as you think after you run into him a few times, blast him in the face with some handgun rounds and he drops like a sack of potatoes.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
What the hell are you talking about? How does any of this has anything to do with the conversation at hand?

What's so hard to understand that some modes impact the the game more than others?
What's so hard to understand about your own statement that this mod is not "playing the game as it was meant," but apparently other kind of mods are? Nothing you claimed that I responded to concerned to what degree the game is changed; it was an unqualified statement made at the start of this conversation.

Visuals and audio are made in support of gameplay, so it's not like all aspects are equivalent to the final experience. I can certainly see how someone would think removing Mr. X would result in a player cheating themselves out of the 'real' RE2 Experience to a much higher degree than changing the colour of the chairs, for instance.
This is more of a debate on game design, but I would think visual and audio is extremely important to the construction of good horror, and mods that change those have the potential to significantly impact the experience. I agree with your example, but some of the existing Mr. X mods that make him an object of humor seem quite significant in terms of a player's time with the game.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I want a mod that lets him go to every room.
Same here, I'd looove that. I was really wishing Capcom would release a new difficulty where that's a thing. Mr X is an absolute joke of an obstacle after your first playthrough (which is prob why this thread has taken off the way it has) so I'm all for making him more dangerous.

ethranes

A King's Landing
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting to see support for modding him to make him harder, will being up in arms about modding to make him easier.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Uhh okay. Apparently there's no difference between swapping some textures and literally removing entire enemies from a game. The more you know.