• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

Thanks to /u/DrOwkword

In Japan the Consumption Tax, or national tax of Japan, will be increased from 8% to 10% on October 1, 2019.

Brief history:

The country's tax had been 5% since 1997. In April of 2014, the tax increased to 8%. The plan was to continue the tax increase to 10% in October 2015, however after the initial increase to 8%, Japan's economy took a hard hit because consumers stopped buying things. This lead the government to hold off the increase to 10% out of fears of another economic market dip. The increase to 10% sales tax will happen on October first of next month. Even if Nintendo can't push all of their games out before October, expect a huge autumn/Xmas season as it will be the last chance to make big sales before the expected lull in consumerism during 2020 in Japan.
Recent big game prices in the eShop now:

• Astral Chain ¥8618 [$88.65 with tax from Oct]
  • DxM ¥8424 [$86.65]
  • DQXI ¥8618 [$88.65]

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
"Oh no. How are we going to make up revenue in 2020 a stagnent Japanese consumer market?"

"We need more money from the west. But how...?"

And that kids is the story about how Fighter Pass 2 and it's subsequent Amiibo came to be.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What's with all of the sales tax hikes in Japan? You know, if you wanted to create higher tax revenue, I've got an idea... More tax brackets and higher rates for the bigger brackets. But then again this is the conservative government we're talking about.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
But this happened last year too. Don't remember if it was Sept specifically but there was a whole month that was loaded with titles.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if this is part of why the vouchers are still being sold in Japan too.

Urfe

Oct 25, 2017
Once in 2014 and now in 2019, both since 2012 when the LDP came back to power.

It was originally planned to be a graduate thing over a short period, but the second increase to 10% kept on getting delayed because it was not popular. The Abe used the last upper house election win as justification to not delay the increase again this October.

I agree with you, income tax over consumption tax all the way.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, there could've been more. Things that are ready to preload now like TW3 or TMS Encore could've also released this month.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I would guess it's also to beat the holiday rush, when all the stupid publishers release their biggest titles all at the same time, generally November or late October. Nintendo on the other hand is releasing Zelda in September (don't forget, Pokemon isn't really Nintendo but GameFreak, they chose November).