• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
So i stopped sekiro at the Shura ending.

You see, i like sekiro just fine. And i dont like to drop games. Im either in or out.
Sekiro is the best tenchu i played, but not an amazing souls games. I struggled , i lamed it out a lot and i made it to credits all on My own.

I hate the mentality of "you played wrong" or "you didnt really played until you made the secret super ending that you couldnt know without a guide happen" mentality.

On some games like nier automata credits can be deceiving. Indeed you didnt see the story if you stop at ending A. But the game accounts for that... Making each wu sequent play faster... Older games ofcourse, dont do that... And quite a few modern ones dont either.

But with sekiro i just... Had my fill. I felt like keeping on would just made me dislike it. So ... I finished it.

I was fully aware i was picking the short route and the "bad ending" . The game is pretty clear on that if you read up on lore as you play, easedrop and pay attention to conversations... So i was never deceived by it. I just choose to end on good terms with it, and if i ever pick it back up i have ng+ waiting for me.

So... What about you? Games you didnt really drop, but made you go "im good thanks"

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Zelda BotW

I was supposed to be lost and was. But surprisingly had my fill way earlier than compared to other hames.I came to know I didn't even scratched the surface.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I do that quite a lot. I don;t feel the need to complete the game if the story didn't grab me and I've had my fill of the gameplay. Life is too short, I don't want my games to feel like work. Last game I did that on was Death Stranding. I loved chapters 3, 4 and 5 and I spent way longer than needed on these chapters, creating roads, bridges and zip lines everywhere and taking on a lot of side missions but when the game decided to change gears, I was happy to just leave it at that and switch to other games in my backlog.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest XI's "Post-Game" (or Act 3)
I'm not invested in the franchise so I didn't care for how it apparently would tie back into previous entries and the characters I was with basically weren't the characters I had grown to love because time travel and the quest wasn't the one I had come to care for so after seeing the difficulty spike, I just decided to stop and keep my basic, regular ass ending instead of going for the true ending. Not out of spite for the game, I love what I played through and it was one of my favorites of that year, but it really was just "I respect where you're going but nah I'm good".

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls 3. I didn't bother with The Ringed City or Ashes of Ariandel because I felt the game ended on a perfect note with Soul of Cinder.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I play most games to credits. Then I promptly quit the game and uninstall it. I note in a document title, platform, when I played it and how long it took (and rarely also additional notes). If/When I play Nier, I'll most likely play through all endings (if the first playthrough is good enough)

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Batman Arkham Knight

Fuck that Riddler nonsense

Spiderman alllllmost made me not bother with the post game completion stuff as it was padding and a tad repetitive, but I followed through with it

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I had this feeling with Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. The final credits rolled, but then I found out I owned a DLC which had the real ending to the game.

I was done with the game at that point already, so I just watched this ending on YT and proceeded to uninstall the game from my PC.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I have to admit, a couple of the answers in this thread already hurt me >.> Almost makes me feel bad for developers who use 'soft endings' for artistic license, ones that you're definitely not meant to stop at.

I liked Ni No Kuni 2 and platinumed it. I bought it with the season pass at launch just because I loved the original so much. Wasn't interested enough to ever give the DLC a shot.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not invested in the franchise so I didn't care for how it apparently would tie back into previous entries and the characters I was with basically weren't the characters I had grown to love because time travel and the quest wasn't the one I had come to care for so after seeing the difficulty spike, I just decided to stop and keep my basic, regular ass ending instead of going for the true ending. Not out of spite for the game, I love what I played through and it was one of my favorites of that year, but it really was just "I respect where you're going but nah I'm good".

Yep. Came here to post this.

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe
Planescape: Torment when
a wall gives birth
basically "hey you think it's over? You're only at 30%". The main plot of who you are was barely ever touched upon, but it was a decent enough ending for me.

Enjoyed the first 10 hours out of my 20 hour playtime, didn't want 40 more. All of the quests with multiple approaches boiled down to choosing which kind of alignment points you wanted.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Bioshock 1 and Infinite both had points where I would've been happy to wrap the game up, but then it insisted on lasting another 2-4 hours...

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
It's okay to be satisfied with a game and stop playing it. A lot of people (me included sometimes) feel like you *have* to finish a game.

Or what? It doesn't count? When you learn to let that feeling go, you're then able to stop and go, "I had a good time with that game, but I'm moving on."

It's liberating

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
theres a part like 15 hours into Okami where it kind of feels like the game is over but not really, i never felt like picking it back up after that

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I'm on the opposite end with Sekiro and most other games as well. I finished Sekiro just 2 days ago and jumped back in with NG+ immediately. I don't play a ton of DLC despite buying it more often than I should but for the vanilla game I'll play what I can.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I skip or don't interact with content I'm not interested in all the time. Which is why I'm always surprised by poroole complaining of bloat or games being too long. This shit is for entertainment. If you don't want to do extra stuff, or even play it to completion, just don't. It's not your job.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate was this for me

I had put about 30 hours in and on chapter 4 of 8 the game ends

I looked it up and the ultimate edition added a ton more story content to the post game

I had a good time with the game, but I think 30 hours was enough for me to get my fill, and I beat the story and saw the credits so it felt like a good stopping point

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
You wrote my post for me, thanks.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
One more vote for DQXI (except I actually did it all but by the end it was a real chore).

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Okami actually does this twice, it's basically a trilogy in one game

It does do this twice, but I feel like Okami gets unfairly maligned for this

I've beaten the game twice on Wii and once on PS3, and both Wii playthroughs took me 36 hours and the PS3 one took me 27 hours

For a 3D Zelda game (Which Okami takes influence from) this is pretty much par for the course. That's not too far off Wind Waker, Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
It does do this twice, but I feel like Okami gets unfairly maligned for this

I've beaten the game twice on Wii and once on PS3, and both Wii playthroughs took me 36 hours and the PS3 one took me 27 hours

For a 3D Zelda game (Which Okami takes influence from) this is pretty much par for the course. That's not too far off Wind Waker, Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess
Agreed. I honestly didn't even feel like Okami took me that long to complete, and I didn't rush through it either. I remember reading that apparently the game is infamous for being too long, with multiple endings or whatever yet I never remember feeling like the game dragged or outstayed its welcome. With an ending like that, I actually didn't want the game to end.

oldzac

Jan 22, 2020
RDR once I got to Mexico.
Oh now this one makes me sad.

I do this with "definitive editions" of games all the time. I'll beat the game, and even if I enjoy it, I almost never dive into the DLC afterwards. My most recent example is Dishonored. I actually loved that game, but I find if I force myself to play I end up hating games that I originally liked.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Agreed. I honestly didn't even feel like Okami took me that long to complete, and I didn't rush through it either. I remember reading that apparently the game is infamous for being too long, with multiple endings or whatever yet I never remember feeling like the game dragged or outstayed its welcome. With an ending like that, I actually didn't want the game to end.

It because the game tricks you by going against the grain in terms of how games normally structure their story

The game tells you the aim of the game, and then 10 hours later you complete that task. Years of playing games have taught us that the credits should now roll, but Okami doesn't do that, it reveals that didn't save the world and sends you off to find another way

The opening is paced in a way that leads you to believe the game is about to end, then it doesn't, and then it does that again later on, so it can feel like an epic

It's a 40 hour long game if you take your time, but it can feel longer because of the pacing

I don't think it outstays its welcome though. New abilities and locations are introduced all the way through the game

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Zelda BOTW for sure.
"Well, that was alright I guess."
— See all of the things I missed
"...Nah, I'm good."
— Sold the game.

Assassins Creed Odyssey too. Loved the game, the modern time things were beyond stupid, but the rest was lovely. I bought the edition with all the dlc but I just couldn't care less. Feels like content for the sake of content

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What benefit will you gain in 20-30 years from recording this information?

I record what I play too, but you could argue there is no benefit to having this information now, never mind in 20-30 years

There is no benefit to knowing how long your save file is either, but people love stats

I just like having a record of my games played by year, and its an easy way to keep tabs on my backlog

It takes 10 seconds to update anyway, so it's not like it's causing me any issues

FanceeLadd

Jan 17, 2020
Another vote for Dragon Quest XI S. Loved the game, was happy with the ending, didn't want to play another minute of it.

Oct 30, 2017
Soul Sacrifice Delta. Halfway through the game I decided I didn't care for it, but finished anyway because I was flying and that was the only game I had downloaded. I beat the main campaign and then the Delta stuff opened up, I noped outta there so fast

Jurassic579

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2
Found no joy at all in starting to take care of cow shit and fixing fences on a guy that looked like Dave Navaro in the 90s.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
I had this feeling with Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. The final credits rolled, but then I found out I owned a DLC which had the real ending to the game.

I was done with the game at that point already, so I just watched this ending on YT and proceeded to uninstall the game from my PC.
I've usually done this specially with moderately short dlc which tend to become time/nerve wrecking. Just finish the main game and if anything mildly interesting which needs few more hours would add, just youtube it. All is out there somewhere somebody uploaded it.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Blaster Master Zero actually did this and I'm still a little chaffed about it. If you don't collect literally all of the items/upgrades in the game you are given this passive aggressive ending that's super unfulfilling, and that's your only hint. There's a whole level and different, full ending if you go ahead, but I only know because a friend told me that I didn't actually beat it. I almost didn't bother but then shrugged and did it.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I've got Roosevelt Island and the Capitol Building in The Division 2 before I start the Endgame.

I dunno if I'm ready, considering the savage ass beating I recieved going after a couple of those masks last night.

Buenoblue

Banned
May 5, 2018
Yeah I just play what I like for how long I like now. There seems to be to many games and they get cheaper and cheaper. I own so many games I haven't even started but I've give in now and just play what I feel.

Jun 5, 2018
I did this with rdr2 enjoyed the game well enough and planned on finishing it but just shy of half way through I'd had enough. Da:i is the game I've played halfway through three times and stop at the same point. I like the series allot but it's poorly designed for a rpg so If you do all the side quests it's easy to burn yourself out.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i'll give up on a game when i feel ready to.

i recently finished Sekiro and it just didn't feel right to go for the Shura ending. but yeah i guess i'd probably have got that if i didn't read a guide. still, i was really enjoying the game so kept going knowing there was more.

for the souls games...i actually never played any of the DLC for those games. i just wanted to beat the main game. i said i'd go back and do DLC but i can't be bothered. Bloodborne is the only one i played the DLC. maybe because i played it last and i was enjoying it. however, after the Kos boss i was so over it and wanted it to end.

when i finished BOTW i just done the divine beasts, defeated ganon, then done the champions ballad quest. i can't be assed hunting down the 20 or so shrines + however many hundred korok seeds i didn't find. maybe i'll load it up and play for a bit again but i'm not bothered in the slightest if i never 100% it.

i just started RDR2 and i feel overwhelmed with the hunting/crafting. i'm never gonna hunt every animal and get perfect pelts. i'll play until i'm done the main story. anything else i do is just a bonus. i'm not wanting to see + do everything.

Oct 28, 2017
I also chose the Shura ending my first time and had no idea it would cut me off from certain content. I was pretty pissed, but I immediately started over again and got the other endings as well. It feel it was worth it just for that last boss fight alone.

ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
I did something similar with Super Mario Sunshine. I had 104 shines and I was going for all 120. But then, I had to do the Yoshi bs for the pipe in Delfino Plaza. And down the pipe was this bullshit ass lily pad minigame that I knew would take ages for me to get right. Tried it until I got a game over and saw that the game will make you go through the whole Yoshi thing again. So I just went into Corona Mountain and beat the game. No regrets.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I have to admit, a couple of the answers in this thread already hurt me >.> Almost makes me feel bad for developers who use 'soft endings' for artistic license, ones that you're definitely not meant to stop at.

To be fair, that's always a gamble that we are taking willingly; nobody forces us to do this, and we know some people will just stop there.

I'm making a roguelite, which is obviously meant to be played through multiple times; the way I try to hook the player into doing so with different characters is, I put artwork of the characters you've finished it with on the Main Menu screen; once you have finished the game with all of them, it will look a bit like the cover artwork. Finishing it with just one character intentionally gives it an "incomplete" feel, hopefully OCDing them into doing so with the others. >:)