• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I've never reached a soft ending and thought 'I'm good". If I end up dropping a game it usually happens before then because I'm just not enjoying it.

Even if the soft ending is only a couple hours in? Kid Icarus: Uprising comes to mind. You can easily reach the soft ending in a single play session on your first playthrough if you play on the default difficulty and don;t replay stages.

Yup probably. I will probably just look up what happens after that - I love Undertale but once I got the neutral ending I just looked up what happens in true pacifist

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I did the same thing with Sekiro: after 30h of gameplay i felt that i was done with the game and decided to "beat it" quickly, because i wanted to play other games.

And i did this too with Nier Automata: no way i'm going to replay the same missions just to see true ending. Nope.

I guess i didn't enjoy them enough to keep playing.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. That was me, too. Played a little past that point but just put it down because I had gotten my fill. I really enjoyed the game, though!

I said this above but I was just burned out, and the idea of a whole new country area was offputting.

I came back years later when it came to XB1 BC and loved finishing it off.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Catherine's Rapunzel side content. The last thing I wanted to do after scaling some brain-busting blocks was to scale some more brain-busting blocks, especially since the main narrative already did a good enough job of communicating its seedy underbelly.

Nov 17, 2019
Days Gone once you get to the new area. I was just done with the game.

Finished God of War but I really didn't want to do any of the sidequests or the valkyries

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I think I'm there with AC Odyssey.
I have 135 hours played and the last 15 have me near the end doing sidequests and searching for things I missed in various locales.
I think I'm going to beat it but I own all the Fate of Atlantis DLC and just don't know if I have it in me to play it....is the DLC amazing? I loved my time with the game but I'm sort of burned out lol
I think doing the main quests and killing all the cultists was enough of a completion for me. xD The DLC i will come back to later after a break.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Alien Isolation

10 hours in and
Ejected the Xenomorph into space via the air lock

Then I kept going for a few minutes, very confused, and decided to google how much of the game is left and found that there was still about 15 hours of game left. That was 2 & 1/2 years ago. It just felt "complete" the moment that scene ended and, while I was initially genuinely frustrated to find out I was only actually around 35% of the way through the game, I've had no interest in going back to complete it. Everything prior to that moment just screamed: "THIS IS THE END! HERE COMES THE FINALE!" and then it goes "fooled you!" lol

I still have it installed as I do wanna see the actual ending... but I'm in absolutely no rush to get back into playing that Reset button simulator :\

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
RDR2 at the epilogue.

same for me. i had it spoiled for me accidentally, so i knew what to expect, & after the hours i put in that game i was just like, "nah, ill dive into the multiplayer for awhile". dove into the multiplayer for awhile. finally bought myself some nice cold weather clothes with some accumulated gold... & never logged back in.

there arent very many other games that i just sort of give up on, though. in fact, im at a loss to think of any others off the top of my head.

OP
OP
Araujo

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I did the same thing with Sekiro: after 30h of gameplay i felt that i was done with the game and decided to "beat it" quickly, because i wanted to play other games.

And i did this too with Nier Automata: no way i'm going to replay the same missions just to see true ending. Nope.

I guess i didn't enjoy them enough to keep playing.

Just in case you don't already have this information...

Nier Automata has Routes A, B, C, D and E which gives you the final conclusive ending.

Route B is a variant of route A, it's a bit quicker, but overall the same. But you get constant new content throughout.
Route C is Lightning fast, Abridged version that moves forward the story. Shorter.
Route D and E you can finish in 15 minutes . both.

So, if you have had your fill and are done, that's fine. Some people simply don't enjoy the pacing, combat and/or story .

But if you like what you had in A, just know that the game is made to allow you to breeze through B to E . Very little new gameplay, but a LOT of plot.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Batman Arkham Knight

Fuck that Riddler nonsense

Spiderman alllllmost made me not bother with the post game completion stuff as it was padding and a tad repetitive, but I followed through with it

Arkham Knight for damn sure. I had 99% completion but those stupid damn Riddler trophies were too annoying.

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
Mario and Luigi dream team...clever mechanics and engaging story and then it just drags and drags...just dropped it and never looked back. I am going to sound like a heretic but the same thing happened to me with Dark souls and Dishonoured...liked both a lot for like 20 hours each and then my interest just faded...not so much because they dragged but because it was hard to know how much progress I was making relative to the size of the game...and in the case of Dark souls...the hydra made it seem like the task was impossible...

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
Odin's Sphere. After I played through the first like 2 characters I had had my fill.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Octopath Traveler. I loved the look of the game, but felt that having eight different paths playable in any order would hurt its character building and story. So I dropped it before I would start hating it. Wish I had done the same with DQXI and RDR2s 'epilogues', lol.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is the same, but I never did the main game in Skyrim. I've picked up the game a few times since release and always did a guild quest or two, some long side things, and said alright I'm done. Maybe next time

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Batman Arkham Knight. I just beat it. I played through everything except the final few Deathstroke stuff and basically all of the Riddler shit. I rescued Catwoman and he ran away until I find all 200+ of his trophies. No thanks dude. I beat the game and got everything else so I'm good.

I may consider getting the DLC but I don't know.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
The End is Nigh. I love the infinite try "single screen level" type of platformer (such as Celeste) and this game nailed it. It was a practically perfect game to me until it reveals there are more levels and
suddenly your collectibles are now your lives. This style of game does not feel designed around having lives and I went from adoring the game to despising it as a result of my frustration.

And then even after beating those, there's ANOTHER even more difficult level if you want the ACTUAL actual ending. It was too much for me, I'm good.

OrigamiPirate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
San Francisco
I don't finish all that many games anymore and I'm ok with that. I have no problem leaving a game mid-story or what have you because I'm not enjoying my time with it. My time is the only resource I can't replace, and gaming is something I do because I enjoy it- once I'm done enjoy a game (be it at hour 5 or 500) I usually just stop, so I can move on. Life's too short to let an arbitrary thing like "that's not the actual end" get me sinking hours into something I don't wanna

projectmayhem

Oct 27, 2017
Sleeping Dogs. Played it twice and stopped after the wedding both times, then bought the definitive edition a few years later and stopped at the same place again.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm a couple of recent examples for me were Astral Chain and Danganronpa. Both had postgame stuff you could do but I was just like nah I'm good, time to move on

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Glad I'm not the only one saying Dragon Quest XI Switch. Loved the game, got the ending. I only did a few 2D level Quests and I was good.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
I did the exact same thing with Sekiro, tbh. I just did it to be a shitheel, though. I didn't know it was the bad ending or missing content. I tried rushing through to get the "real" ending and just lost interest around the 2nd Monk fight.

Those saying DQXI: You didn't really miss much. You could google 2 minutes of cutscenes and save yourself 20 hours.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
For me Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate was kinda this. I loved it and played a ton, got to some of the HRs and then just... stopped and ran out of time to dedicate to it despite not fighting every monsters.

Similarly, Dragon's Dogma. I loved it and played some of the post-game, but never beat it all and just sometimes go back to it as a fun playground.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Odyssey for me. After the "soft ending" I lost all interest in playing the game. A shame because people say the best content comes after it.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
Dragon Quest XI's "Post-Game" (or Act 3)
I'm not invested in the franchise so I didn't care for how it apparently would tie back into previous entries and the characters I was with basically weren't the characters I had grown to love because time travel and the quest wasn't the one I had come to care for so after seeing the difficulty spike, I just decided to stop and keep my basic, regular ass ending instead of going for the true ending. Not out of spite for the game, I love what I played through and it was one of my favorites of that year, but it really was just "I respect where you're going but nah I'm good".
I usually finish almost all games I put a significant amount of time into, but same thing happened to me here. Also, after 40 hours of Persona 5, felt like I get why people like this, but I think I've had enough.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Skyrim. Any time I play that game I end up following a few city hub storylines and then feeling like I'm done. The furthest I've ever gotten into the main quest line is infiltrating that party.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just did this with Fire Emblem Three Houses, did all the routes and DLC except for Golden Deer, I'm done lol

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Just in case you don't already have this information...
It seems to be better than i thought, but still, not enough for me to push through it if B is just a slight variation of A (which i already played 19h).

(I actually played a little of B, but the repetition killed the game for me at that point)

Thanks for the information, appreciate it.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Middle-earth: Shadow of War

Fuck that noise. I stopped prior to the BS grind chapter and just looked up the second ending. I'm very glad I never bothered because what I saw wasn't worth that time investment.

Outside of that, I guess most big open world games. I'll play story missions, side missions, explore a bit, get a few collectibles if they're near me for XP, but I'll never 100% complete them. The only open world game I tried to do that in was GTA4 but it glitched out on me on the 360 during the Pigeon hunt and I never finished that either. There are too many other games to play and I don't care about 100% completions or achievements, so I just move on.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Pac Man World.

In order to unlock the final boss, you need to rescue every friend across the levels which requires solving a little puzzle to unlock a key and bring it back to their respective cages. But tbh, the boss fights in Pac Man World just arent fun at all and I even gave up on gathering all the collectibles in the stages because they routinely relied on "activate switch, now backtrack for the rewards" which made the levels feel like busywork. Whats fun about Pacman World is the linear A-B platforming, and when i reached a point where there were no more platforming levels I felt satisfied to drop it.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest XI's "Post-Game" (or Act 3)
I'm not invested in the franchise so I didn't care for how it apparently would tie back into previous entries and the characters I was with basically weren't the characters I had grown to love because time travel and the quest wasn't the one I had come to care for so after seeing the difficulty spike, I just decided to stop and keep my basic, regular ass ending instead of going for the true ending. Not out of spite for the game, I love what I played through and it was one of my favorites of that year, but it really was just "I respect where you're going but nah I'm good".

I just moved into the post-game content this week. Im feeling this exact way. Reading up on what Im expected to do with the trials and whatnot and I have so little urge to keep going.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Nier Automata, I had my fill with ending A, didn't want to deal with the others down to E.

Tales of Vesperia is another one. I enjoyed the main game enough despite not really enjoying the Symphonia combat. Then I found out there was a bunch of postgame content, and I decided to hang it up.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Furi. There's a ... Good End about halfway through. You have to go the long way for the bad end. I stopped there.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
This is like every game for me. Play till I've had my fill and then move on. Can't even remember the last game that I've beaten.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Final Fantasy X has something like 100 hours of postgame, which sounds unbelievable to me because I was done with the game ('s main story) in 50 hours and 6-8 of that was grinding before the final boss

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
I do this with every game basically. Once you roll the credits, I'm done. The only exceptions would be games where it drops you immediately into some kind of "post-game" content. But if you send me back to the menu(or back to a checkpoint, or a hub town, or w/e), I'm good with dropping the game and considering it "finished". I've already got too much to play and not enough time, I dont need to eke out every possible ending or hidden collectibles or w/e.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
Octopath Travellers
All eight stories came to their own satisfying ending. I felt no desire to complete the secret side quest which are said to somewhat tight their narrative together.

I just felt that the endings are great, and I am done with it.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Outer Wilds.

I spent like two hours trying to navigate Dark Bramble, one inch of of a mistake on your part and you damage your ship or you get swallowed. I get that death is the idea of the game but when I just want to continue with the story and see the game through I'm good. I spent several days mutiple hours trying to get passed it but I just lost all my patience for it. The frustration and wasted hours wasn't worth it.

Booya_base

Oct 31, 2017
Jersey
Yeah I do this now, Sekiro, DQ11 after main game. The one i would recommend people do this with the most is Tales of Legendia. Once you finish the main story, DO NOT bother with the post game, its one of the longest of all time (around 40hrs IIRC) and it so not worth it.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
FE3H my 1st switch game and I stopped after CF ending. I started GD and I own the DLC but I just realized I'd never go back to it since the 1st half is super boring.

I still look at fanart and promo though.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You cheated not only the game, but yourself.

You didn't grow.
You didn't improve.
You took a shortcut and gained nothing.

You experienced a hollow victory.
Nothing was risked and nothing was gained.

It's sad that you don't know the difference.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Wilds.

I spent like two hours trying to navigate Dark Bramble, one inch of of a mistake on your part and you damage your ship or you get swallowed. I get that death is the idea of the game but when I just want to continue with the story and see the game through I'm good. I spent several days mutiple hours trying to get passed it but I just lost all my patience for it. The frustration and wasted hours wasn't worth it.
Outer Wilds is one of those games where progression is limited by your knowledge; there's always a trick to going somewhere or doing something, so at times like that, it's sometimes just best to go somewhere else. (Even when I knew the "trick", though, I left Dark Bramble until the very end.)