• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, why would there be? Steam doesn't allow storefronts within their storefront, so the miniscule amount of people who might want such a thing would never be worth the effort.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Lutris gives you access to basically all relevant storefronts afaik

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
There is no official Xbox support for PlayStation 5.

This misses the point, the PS5 isn't an open system you can install whatever software you want on. GOG could release a Linux build of GOG Galaxy if they wanted to, and anyone with a Steam Deck could download and use it. It's not that surprising that they're not doing so, but there's nothing stopping them from supporting Steam Deck.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
if gog doesn't have a linux client, how/why would they support the steam deck?
even if they were to put out a linux client, they would be supporting linux, not the steam deck specifically

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of the replies here don't realise that GOG sell DRM free games which support Windows, Linux and Mac so the idea of asking them whether they will be listing games as supported on the deck doesn't seem that unreasonable given that as far as I'm aware the Steam OS version that the deck will be running isn't restricted to running software installed from the Steam store (ie. it's just a PC so do what you want).

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
its not an unreasonable question, given GOG's position on DRM - their capacity to allow their library to be played on an open platform would be congruent with their vision.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
I think a lot of the replies here don't realise that GOG sell DRM free games which support Windows, Linux and Mac so the idea of asking them whether they will be listing games as supported on the deck doesn't seem that unreasonable given that as far as I'm aware the Steam OS version that the deck will be running isn't restricted to running software installed from the Steam store (ie. it's just a PC so do what you want).

So couldn't you just load the site via your browser and then download games that way?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
An unsurprisingly different vibe to when Epic said they weren't supporting

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
This misses the point, the PS5 isn't an open system you can install whatever software you want on. GOG could release a Linux build of GOG Galaxy if they wanted to, and anyone with a Steam Deck could download and use it. It's not that surprising that they're not doing so, but there's nothing stopping them from supporting Steam Deck.
Sure but at the end of the day it's not your platform. Why invest the resources into helping sell somebody else's product? Maybe if Steam Deck gets big enough it'd be worth it.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Sure but at the end of the day it's not your platform. Why invest the resources into helping sell somebody else's product? Maybe if Steam Deck gets big enough it'd be worth it.

it won't cost them anything in terms of store fees, and its another avenue for sales - but like you said, it might just be a case of seeing how many users end up adopting this thing.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
Windows ships with a built-in store that sells games and competes with GOG. Should they not support Microsoft products either?

AOL Power User

alt account
Banned
Oct 4, 2021
Seattle, WA
I see people bringing up Lutris. I haven't heard of it, and it looks really awesome. Two questions:

1) How would you install this within the SteamOS? It looks like a standalone tool. (I'm not very well educated on the workings of SteamOS)
2) Is there a Windows equivalent? Seems like this is only for Linux.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Its expected.
Windows ships with a built-in store that sells games and competes with GOG. Should they not support Microsoft products either?
Now compare the install base of PCs with windows installed and SteamOS.

They arent gonna start supporting the Deck/SteamOS until the marketshare footprint of that OS is a lot bigger than it is right now.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
The difference is these stores need Windows to survive, they don't need Linux. That can change if the Steam Deck is wildly popular though but as of right now none of these platforms are going to invest a bunch of money into getting their stores going for another store's platform.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Development isn't a free action, and alot of companies will tell you Linux is rarely worth the return on investment
I know. I couldn't help but notice what seemed like some bias or double standards occurring.

Anyway, support simply means if you send them an email saying you can't get XYZ to work via steamdeck, they have no obligation to help you.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
Its expected.

Now compare the install base of PCs with windows installed and SteamOS.

They arent gonna start supporting the Deck/SteamOS until the marketshare footprint of that OS is a lot bigger than it is right now.

I'm not saying they should definitely support Linux, and I have no problem with them not supporting it because they feel it's not a big enough market. I'm just pointing out that the argument that "Valve is a competitor, therefore they obviously won't support it" doesn't make sense. You could say the same about literally any device GOG supports with GOG Galaxy.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Steam deck comes with a specific, proprietary branch of Linux. Even if they had a Linux version of GoG it wouldn't officially support the Steam deck branch.

So the lede is buried here. There should be a push for GoG to support Linux but this is a relatively bad venue to begin that discussion.

I don't know that Steam deck officially supports windows but I don't think it's a secret that it can run windows.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying they should definitely support Linux, and I have no problem with them not supporting it because they feel it's not a big enough market. I'm just pointing out that the argument that "Valve is a competitor, therefore they obviously won't support it" doesn't make sense. You could say the same about literally any device GOG supports with GOG Galaxy.
Oh sure, you are right about that. Valve being seen as some kind of competition isnt the reason for the absence of official SteamOS/Deck support.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
You can also just download the linux version of games directly from the website and run the installer, there's no registry bullshit like on windows, so you can just install the game to a SD card if you want and add the non-steam game as you would normally. GOG does have a decent installer that's a giant bash script developed by Ryan Gordon (Icculus) (i think).

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
The question that caused the specific outrage was "will it run on proton".

The Epic "outrage" on them excusing Fortnite not being on the Deck because of Easy Anti-Cheat, which they now own, which was updated in such a way where it's supposedly super easy to add Linux compatibility (as in dropping a file in, not even needing to recompile anything).

Fortnite doesn't have a Linux version afaik so they could've used that as the reasoning but instead cited themselves not trusting their own anti cheat to function well enough on a now (supposedly) supported platform.

Unless this is a different outrage. I mean, I can also understand people being pissed at Tim Sweeny for his wishy-washy flip-flopping where he's all "open platforms are great and need support" while simultaneously not supporting open platforms (like Linux) because the money isn't there.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
GOG has hosted linux versions of games for a long time. I don't want to call it half-ass because they were onm board early and that's great, but their idea of support is practically unrecognizable compared to what steam does.

1) How would you install this within the SteamOS? It looks like a standalone tool. (I'm not very well educated on the workings of SteamOS)

The reccomended method of installing non-sream apps is FlatPak. You can look up FlatPak and FlatHub. You download FlatPaks from FlatHub and run them with a little app that lets you add and remove them. There are many ways to install apps on Linux, but this is almost assuredly the way new users should go.

Lutris is a launcher where you link your account to GOG or whatever, and it pulls in your library from there. Then it does a one-click install and tries top install the game with Proton. Like steam, not everything is going to work. In my experience, almost all old games work except for ones with proprietary video codecs.

Steam deck comes with a specific, proprietary branch of Linux. Even if they had a Linux version of GoG it wouldn't officially support the Steam deck branch.

That's false and false.

Seikca

Feb 21, 2022
Honestly, they could at least encourage the use of Lutris installers or other projects that make their games work on Linux instead of suggest people to install Windows.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
You're saying SteamOS isn't a proprietary branch of Linux? How so?

Proprietary mean a closed source release, that is protected by a traidtional liscense and very much belongs to the company that created it. Open source means it more or less belongs to noone and the uncompiled code must be provided so anyone can inspect or modify it. For steamos, the Kernal, userland, display server, gamescope compositor, desktop environment, wine, proton, are all open source.

When you build something based on an open source project, you are legally obliged to release whatever your result is as another open source project. Steamos and proton are 99% built on existing open projects with just the last bit being more open source contributions by valve. In other words, the fork is not very far down the tree. It's a very slightly deviant fork and even then, anyone anywhere can tear into it and see what the differences are, and how it works. More or less anything that runs on common linux distros will work on steamos.