• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
A small thing the modding community has found when digging into Resident Evil 7 again (with new advances in them trying to mod REmake 2, looking back into modding RE7 retroactively). So in RE7 there's a newspaper for the Dulvey Daily that appears multiple times in the game. Here's it's direct texture though you can find this same newspaper page at a few points during RE7:

tg.jpg

Now this is from RE7, but if you zoom in you may notice the shot in the newspaper is actually an early build of REmake 2:

unknown_1.png

Resident Evil 2 Remake fiddled with fixed camera and first-person during development, they must've decided just to use an internal early first-person test as a picture for the newspaper, but this is kinda' a cool look at an earlier REmake 2 build and a neat little easter egg in retrospective (since no one noticed or really put it together until now).

Fun how many little tidbits like these can go right under people's noses.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love RE2 remake having it in first person would have been awesome too. I hope VR/first person RE isn't gone forever, even if it has to be another spinoff series.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I really wish Remake 2 was FPS, ever since i saw that fan made demo of RE1 where Jill opened the door in first person & there was no loading screen, i was like "yes, i want this for 2"

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of this from Uncharted 3.

Lastofusuncharted.jpg

From what I recall that was supposed to be removed. TLoU was originally supposed to be unveiled at E3, but ND ended up pushing the reveal date back until December, which was after U3's release. The artist that included that newspaper simply forgot that he'd put the teaser in.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 7 was released 2 years ago, and while it was widely praised by many it didn't interest the modding community very much which resulted in not only very little modding, but even lack of interest of looking through the games files. With the release of Resident Evil 2 remake the Resident Evil modding community has once again been invigorated. The return of beloved characters, a third-person perspective and being a re-telling of a classic entry has seen the RE modding community come back in full-swing. Model swapping, texture mods, and of course peering through all the files the game has to offer. One such modder is ZombieAli who as of yesterday found a very interesting texture.

The texture is that of the newspaper from RE7, detailing ghost sightings in the Dulvey bayou. The texture was found in the files of REmake 2 as a leftover, much like Chris Redfield's model found the other day. While the texture didn't get looked at in RE7 due to the aforementioned lack of interest in the game by the modding community, its presence in REmake 2 resulted in actually being looked at. ZombieAli confirms that the texture file has the exact same name that it does in RE7, and most likely has not been altered for its inclusive in REmake 2 files.

What's interesting about the texture, as you can guess from the title of this thread, is we can now view a part of the texture that was not visible in-game in RE7. This includes some, let's just say OBVIOUS, placeholder text and... an image. An image showing what very much appears to be an early build of Resident Evil 2 remake, but in the first-person perspective of RE7. It features multiple of the zombie models (including Capcom dev heartthrob Matt Walker!) featured in the final version REmake 2 along with a clear city-like environment.

tggzkd5.jpg

And a zoom-crop for ya.

unknown12rkzj.png

This shouldn't come as a surprise, as Capcom has stated they tinkered with different camera styles for the remake and the game was in development during RE7's development as well. The craziest thing about this; is that our first (tho completely different) look at REmake 2 was just sitting there in RE7 for the last two years waiting to be discovered.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
This is rad but I feel like the game sold better for being in third person. But still rad.

I'm kinda glad we didn't get Mr. X in VR because the memes woulda been even more outta control than they are now

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Is there something about that image that implies its RE2? Looks like it could be anything. Resembles a House of the Dead screenshot more lol.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Dusk Golem You just gonna jump ahead of the guy who shared this with you and was already writing the thread then merge into yours?
Hhv0GZE.png

(just in case someone misunderstands, I'm only taking the piss outta Dusk here and already joked about it on discord)

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
A first person mode would be fucking dope and would easily make me want to replay it again

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
I had always assumed RE2 was first person at some point. The success of RE7 definitely made it a possibility. Even now, a lot of the item use animations would look right at home in a first person game.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
The most interesting thing about this isn't the fact REmake 2 was first-person at one point; afterall we already knew Capcom fiddled with that. What is interesting is it shows that REmake 2 was already in the RE Engine by, at least, late 2016 before the release of RE7. We knew that when development started in 2015 they were building off Revelations 2 and at some point that build got scrapped and they started over in RE Engine, but we weren't sure of a time-frame of that. Now we roughly do.

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
Glad it didn't end being FP perspective as I can't get used to that type of games, the only one I have cleared is RE7 lol

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Coincidentally a first-person mod is being worked on, and it's ridiculous smooth looking! Almost like it was official. Only thing that it needs to address is the camera bobbing.

Oct 27, 2017
This is really interesting, I wonder what it means.

Was the REmake 2 meant to be FPS?
If it was, why was it abandoned?
And what does that say for the FPS genre being used for the rest of the mainline RE franchise?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Why are the newspaper textures in RE2 not this good? Easily the most disappointing thing about the remake imo. The textures, even on high settings are just intentionally blurred out so that there's nothing interesting to find in them.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
This is really interesting, I wonder what it means.

Was the REmake 2 meant to be FPS?
If it was, why was it abandoned?
And what does that say for the FPS genre being used for the rest of the mainline RE franchise?
Capcom experimented with first-person and fixed camera perspectives for REmake 2, before deciding on third-person.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Coincidentally a first-person mod is being worked on, and it's ridiculous smooth looking! Almost like it was official. Only thing that it needs to address is the camera bobbing.

Wow. It even cuts seamlessly to third person when she was grabbed, neat. Only thing is the red dot sight seems to have a noticeable delay when moving the aim.

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly that looks so good I think I'd prefer to play the game that way as long as they can make the camera a little more stable and maybe widen the fov.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

Seeing stuff like this makes me happy I went with PC, so uh, thanks Capcom for making the X version look muddier lol.

Hopefully this mod gets a release soon, looks great so far. I don't mind a little camera bob in first person, sometimes I think it can enhance immersion somewhat (for non VR obviously). IIRC Stalker had some subtle camera bob to it that I felt helped cement you to the world more. Zero bob is fine but can elevate that 'floating camera' feel some people have issue with.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Please Capcom, make a first person FLC (throw in fixed camera for people who want it), didn't Evil Within 2 do that?

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Feel the same way about Fixed Camera angles like the original :P
I thought about that while playing the remake. Being a longtime fan of the series, fixed camera angles would be very nostalgic for me, but I honestly don't miss them. Being able to see what my character is seeing makes the game much more immersive than being forced to watch the scene from whatever angle somebody thought was best.
The freedom of movement given by the third person view also made the boss battles more engaging and interesting, and turned every single enemy into a very real threat. Fixed camera angles would instantly make the combat less engaging by reducing (or completely eliminating) the need to aim and make your shots count. The zombies' erratic movement would be nullified if all you had to do was hold R1 and turn your character in their general direction. In first person, though, there's virtually no need to change gameplay aspects.

So, fixed camera angles would be cool as an option, maybe an unlockable for finishing the game, but I'm very glad Capcom didn't follow that direction in the remake.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, honestly I think I'd be more excited for a Resident Evil that was first person...at least a horror themed one.