• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shogmaster

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
This is crazy. You can buy a decent unlocked mid range phone with 6+" 1080p OLED 3/32GB for $200. $250ish will get you 4/64GB upgrade.Couple years ago I was happy to get a 720p 5.7" IPS with 2/16GB and quad A53 SoC for under $200. It's crazy town.

I just picked up Samsung Galaxy A30 with 4/64GB, 6.4" 1080x2340 OLED for $220 before tax last week. Today I find out that Blu launched a new brand (BOLD) with a 4/128GB storage and same OLED screen (with pop up selfy cam) and slightly faster SoC phone for $250.

bold-n1_01.jpg

Seriously, other than top of the line camera, water resistance and marginally faster SoC and RAM that you rarely feel the difference in if you don't play high end games, why would you spend 4~5x more on a phone these days?

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but how many of them have notches and lack headphone jacks? Those are the REAL premium features.

Deleted member 1722

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's very cool. Phones have truly arrived in the sense they're all good enough and they can last for years. The accessories are getting wild too. I bought 10$ (10$!!!!) Bluetooth earbuds from Target today and they work perfectly fine. I was thinking of the 100+$ Jabra headsets from what seems like yesterday.

Red XIII

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NY
I was looking into the A50 as a gift but it's missing some lte bands for dominican republic everything else on it looks good.
not sure which to get now lol

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
I think the camera is a huge factor in why many people buy a more expensive phone. I know it's one of my top considerations. While budget phones really stepped it up in many other areas, the camera was still always lacking. The Pixel 3a is changing that premise a bit. It's not as cheap as some budget phones, but is still half the price (or less) of the flagships while having a great camera. Hopefully it will push other phones forward in that area.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
My cheapo Samsung phone from 2016 (Galaxy J3) that I briefly used had an AMOLED screen, granted it was 720p. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
This is crazy. You can buy a decent unlocked mid range phone with 6+" 1080p OLED 3/32GB for $200. $250ish will get you 4/64GB upgrade.Couple years ago I was happy to get a 720p 5.7" IPS with 2/16GB and quad A53 SoC for under $200. It's crazy town.

I just picked up Samsung Galaxy A30 with 4/64GB, 6.4" 1080x2340 OLED for $220 before tax last week. Today I find out that Blu launched a new brand (BOLD) with a 4/128GB storage and same OLED screen (with pop up selfy cam) and slightly faster SoC phone for $250.

bold-n1_01.jpg

Seriously, other than top of the line camera, water resistance and marginally faster SoC and RAM that you rarely feel the difference in if you don't play high end games, why would you spend 4~5x more on a phone these days?

Yah, but you gotta buy a BLU phone :(

Cdammen

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
How common is burn-in on modern OLED phones?
There's retention, but it's only temporary, and slight. Most people won't notice it unless they put on a solid 25% grey image in fullscreen mode and crank the brightness after hiding all the "static" UI.

I have it on my high-end Android phone on the little navigation pill at the bottom. It goes away after just looking at a short fullscreen YouTube video. The pixels get moving and wipe the retention.

You won't care.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
They're tempting, but they all seem to have flaws that are a deal-breaker for me. Some look nice, but are not a reputable brand. Some lack the headphone jack or wireless charging or have a notch, or don't have a fingerprint reader. These "premium" anti-features are bleeding into the mid-range too, unfortunately. But also, even my current phone's LCD burns in, so at this point I'll even consider OLED since burn-in is now seemingly unavoidable across any price range.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
What's the best phone around with dual SIM slots? My wife can never go back to just one, apparently, but I think our OnePlus 3's are due to be replaced.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, it's crazy that we're seeing cutting edge features like (almost) all-screen front, and in-screen fingerprint reader in affordable phones. At those prices, who cares if they lag or fail in a year or two. Just change to another one by then. You might even get one with a under-screen selfie cam by then.

I'll still stick to my iphone though... *baaa* *baaa*

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Yeah, I'm with you. The only reason why I recently got the Note 10+ 5g is because it was a free upgrade from my Note 5. If it were up to me I'd probably would've gotten a Xaiomi or Huawei, especially since they have headphone jacks. But, hey, can't beat a free upgrade.

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best phone around with dual SIM slots? My wife can never go back to just one, apparently, but I think our OnePlus 3's are due to be replaced.

I'm in the same boat, mine is not only sluggish on most apps (though tbf that's probably half because my storage is maxed) but my charging and headphone ports are both broke, which also means I can't do any file transfers, and charging is a massive arse.

Is the Pixel 3A the way to go? Gonna wait til black Friday to see what the offers are.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got my XR for $599 CND. I feel like it will last me at least 3 years. It's not like you have to spend $1000 USD to get a recent iPhone.

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate to go against the trend and want decent specs and camera with smaller screen. Say 5" - 5.5".

I don't know what I'll do when my Sony Compact XZ1 eventually dies :/

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I'd don't, how many of them will last more than couple years before support is dropped and can be sold for a few hundred towards a new phone?

When the cost of entry is so low, does it really matter if support is dropped after two years and they can't be traded in for more than $50?

You can just buy another one, probably with better specs, camera, etc for the same price after those two years.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
When the cost of entry is so low, does it really matter if support is dropped after two years and they can't be traded in for more than $50?

You can just buy another one, probably with better specs, camera, etc for the same price after those two years.

I suppose not but I guess I'd rather have a product that will last and won't end up in a landfill in a few years.

Shadow-Link

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have an A50 and coming from an S9 it really is a great phone for the price. The screen is really good.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Phones peaked around 2 years ago. Xiaomi brought the whoopass. There are some insane phones even under $200.