• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
This is another of those "is it just my family?" kind of situations.

So we are usually pretty busy. Sometimes dinner is "every man/woman for him/herself". This usually means microwaving, whether it's leftovers or something in the freezer that can be heated quic while doing schoolwork or taking business calls or taking care of the kid or walking the dog or a thousand other things.

ERA, sometimes you microwave something and you wait a few minutes to go grab it.

PEOPLE FREAK THE FUCK OUT IF THEY SEE SOMETHING IN THE MICROWAVE. I swear, a very casual but constant "there's something in the microwave" happens if someone does not STARE AT THE SPINNING GLASS PLATE and take the food out immediately. Someone will walk by to get a glass of water or grab a cookie from the counter and WHO'S FOOD IS THIS IN THE MICROWAVE HEY DID YOU KNOW YOUR FOOD IS DONE IN THE MICROWAVE.

YES, I KNOW, I HAVE TO FINISH THIS EMAIL QUICK. THANK YOU FOR LOOKING OUT FOR ME.

Someone else walks by.

HEY DID YOU KNOW ---

YES.

Sometimes people get shitty. "DON'T LEAVE THAT IN THE MICROWAVE". Why? Is the vaper going to stain it? Will it malfunction and explode like Shreck's store in Batman Returns?!

HAVE YOU EVER EATEN FOOD FRESH FROM THE MICROWAVE.

IT WILL BURN YOUR TONGUE AND SOUL.

It needs to rest. My god, the tupperware has scars from chili heated up ten years ago.

Shit's hot.

ResetERA, it's been a long week. I'm so sorry.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
The beeping gets pretty annoying. Otherwise, it's whatever. I've definitely left stuff in the microwave while I let the dog out.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Can't say I've experienced this.

My family always just put shit on the counter if they want to use it and someone else's shit is in there. Worst thing that's happened is someone eventually comes back and their food needed to continue cooking (like a cook, stir, cook type deal) and I'm just like "oh well, my stuff's in there now, just add more time when you throw it back in"

If it's just the excessive beeping, I just open and close the door to make it stop. They know they were cooking stuff, and if they forget, oh well

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Can I sell you a microwave that leaves the light on and has a speaker with a WHHHR sound for like 5ish minutes after it is done as a cooling cycle? Get the deluxe model and it will even keep the timer cycling.

I am an expert in marketing placebo.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah mine keeps beeping to remind you and I hate it.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
My dumbass room mate wakes up, microwaves his sausage and pancake corndog and gets back into bed. After a minute the microwave is beeping and then it never shuts the fuck up.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
There are a lot of "things" in the microwave.

e4LS8UY.jpg

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Reasons I have had to do this...

- I need to use the microwave
- That beeping is fucking annoying
- At my nephews because they start something in there and then go off to play. A few hours later, we have to just dump that shit into the bin.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
Guys, the beeping can almost always be turned off in the settings. Google the manual for your microwave model and figure out how.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
get your fucking popcorn out of the way, i got a meatball hot pocket i need to nuke

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
This is another of those "is it just my family?" kind of situations.

So we are usually pretty busy. Sometimes dinner is "every man/woman for him/herself". This usually means microwaving, whether it's leftovers or something in the freezer that can be heated quic while doing schoolwork or taking business calls or taking care of the kid or walking the dog or a thousand other things.

ERA, sometimes you microwave something and you wait a few minutes to go grab it.

PEOPLE FREAK THE FUCK OUT IF THEY SEE SOMETHING IN THE MICROWAVE. I swear, a very casual but constant "there's something in the microwave" happens if someone does not STARE AT THE SPINNING GLASS PLATE and take the food out immediately. Someone will walk by to get a glass of water or grab a cookie from the counter and WHO'S FOOD IS THIS IN THE MICROWAVE HEY DID YOU KNOW YOUR FOOD IS DONE IN THE MICROWAVE.

YES, I KNOW, I HAVE TO FINISH THIS EMAIL QUICK. THANK YOU FOR LOOKING OUT FOR ME.

Someone else walks by.

HEY DID YOU KNOW ---

YES.

Sometimes people get shitty. "DON'T LEAVE THAT IN THE MICROWAVE". Why? Is the vaper going to stain it? Will it malfunction and explode like Shreck's store in Batman Returns?!

HAVE YOU EVER EATEN FOOD FRESH FROM THE MICROWAVE.

IT WILL BURN YOUR TONGUE AND SOUL.

It needs to rest. My god, the tupperware has scars from chili heated up ten years ago.

Shit's hot.

ResetERA, it's been a long week. I'm so sorry.
here's some ammo for you OP: the reason that a lot of frozen or otherwise microwaveable food says to let food rest in the microwave is to let it finish cooking (especially on the inside iirc)

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't you supposed to leave things in the microwave for a minute or two after it finishes to properly evenly distribute the heat throughout the food, though?

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
OP popped this thread in the microwave and then ran off to write a very important email.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
only thing i can think of is that people want to heat up their food and its impolite for them to take your food out of the microwave. for instance at work you better get your shit as soon as its done because people are waiting to use it.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
nah bro you have to sit there and watch it spin AND hit stop when it gets to 1 second to avoid unnecessary beeping.

V23

Oct 27, 2017
Someone's got a hankering for vapourised spicy candy and needs to use the microwave.

OP
OP
Bengraven

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Maybe someone wants to you to get your shit out so they can use the microwave.

Even if they just ate. Just seeing something in there through the foggy window is a trigger.

It's like they want to be helpful ("oh your food finished! Quick, eat it before it goes cold!") but they express it through anger and screaming

here's some ammo for you OP: the reason that a lot of frozen or otherwise microwaveable food says to let food rest in the microwave is to let it finish cooking (especially on the inside iirc)
Aren't you supposed to leave things in the microwave for a minute or two after it finishes to properly evenly distribute the heat throughout the food, though?

okay I'm using this shit.

ITS RESTING. ITS FINE. GO FINISH JOHN WICK 2

OP popped this thread in the microwave and then ran off to write a very important email.

Its funny because I'm at work and I just realized one of the worst offenders left his re-heated cup of coffee in the microwave when he left for work this morning.

I wish I got home before him so...

nah bro you have to sit there and watch it spin AND hit stop when it gets to 1 second to avoid unnecessary beeping.

Nah that was the old days when I was heating up three Mac and cheese single serving packs at 1 am. Not wanting my wife to know the reason I was getting fatter. My pre-keto days of shame.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

- At my nephews because they start something in there and then go off to play. A few hours later, we have to just dump that shit into the bin.
...what was put into the microwave that requires going into the trash after a mere few hours of sitting in the microwave?

Hey Bengraven check the microwave, theres probably something in it.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have not lived a life where the microwave is so frequently used that this is ever an issue.

Can't you just open and close the microwave to stop the beeping. And if you really need to use it, just remove it from the microwave until you're done then put it back in.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
...what was put into the microwave that requires going into the trash after a mere few hours of sitting in the microwave?

They were going through a pop-tart phase. It was more a close-to-dinner-time decision than a food safety decision.

Can't you just open and close the microwave to stop the beeping. And if you really need to use it, just remove it from the microwave until you're done then put it back in.

Yeah, I usually do a quick open/close if it is left too long.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Even if they just ate. Just seeing something in there through the foggy window is a trigger.

It's like they want to be helpful ("oh your food finished! Quick, eat it before it goes cold!") but they express it through anger and screaming

I don't have issues with sharing a microwave since I live by myself, but I do live in a building with shared laundry machines. And it's really annoying that people leave their crap in there and I have to take their stuff out (after its been there for hours) so I can use the machines. Maybe I'm not fully understanding the dynamics of your situation, but it seems similar and I can see why someone would get annoyed. I mean, you should know exactly when your stuff is done.

Oct 27, 2017
fl
well.. i had a housemate that nuked something to a hockey puck. destroyed the microwave smelled like plastic. im all for the loudest most annoying beep to be implemented in all microwaves

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I have not lived a life where the microwave is so frequently used that this is ever an issue.

Sure, but it sounds like OP is too busy writing emails to even get up and do that. If I have to come from the living room just to open and shut the microwave to stop the beeping (edit: for somebody else's food), you bet your ass I'm going to give a dirty look.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but it sounds like OP is too busy writing emails to even get up and do that. If I have to come from the living room just to open and shut the microwave to stop the beeping, you bet your ass I'm going to give a dirty look.

Well, I'm mostly talking about whoever is complaining about the beeping.

OP
OP
Bengraven

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida

Hey Bengraven check the microwave, theres probably something in it.

TRUE STORY...

Came home from work yesterday and there was a plate of reheated KFC in the microwave. Must have been cooked for five minutes.

The drumstick looked like she was pulled from a pear big in Scotland.