• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Only reason to get the delay is to postpone brexit after the european election so their friends (Le Pen, Salvini, and the other wannabe dictators) can avoid the immediate backlash once people understand what it means to have a °no deal° and exiting the union. Elections in EU are coming very soon. Probably that's why.
Proponents of a delay include people like Donald Tusk and Angela Merkel, so not exactly people who'd be considered to sympathize with people like Le Pen.

As long as Brexit happens by the end of June, there's not really a problem with an extension. The EU is not interested in a hard Brexit nor do they want the British press or politicians to somehow be able to put the blame on the EU ("We'd have figured a deal out if they just gave us more time!").

It's only if Brexit gets delayed past June that severe problems would arise due to the upcoming elections (which Britain would need to take part in). Would be still possible, but there would be strings attached (like a GE or another referendum).

Oct 27, 2017
London
What the fuck is parliament even talking about at this point? It is completely unclear what they actually want or expect!

Each single elected official needs to go back to their constituency and hold an open forum to actually answer for this mess and wake up and read the room

Yeah, well, the results may not be to our liking if they did that. Imagine the hordes of angry old people demanding that they LEAVE NOW

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Yeah, well, the results may not be to our liking if they did that. Imagine the hordes of angry old people demanding that they LEAVE NOW
If there is still overwhelming support, as in the majority of people, to leave then at least that MP can go back to parliament and vote that way.

There is nothing stopping any of them from asking for a vote from their constituency on the current preference. It doesn't need to be a referendum, but at least offer us a voice. I already had my MP leave labour, and we voted remain.

Shit is infuriating

Shiny Pokemon Hunter

Alt-account
Banned
Mar 5, 2019
I don't live in the UK but from all the news and articles I read, for the sake of stability they would be better off abandoning their Brexit.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
While I appreciate it was a free vote, the very fact that the Brexit secretary voted against the government's own Motion tonight is really quite extraordinary. The minister that should be responsible for the government's Brexit policy just voted against the government's Brexit policy.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
While I appreciate it was a free vote, the very fact that the Brexit secretary voted against the government's own Motion tonight is really quite extraordinary. The minister that should be responsible for the government's Brexit policy just voted against the government's Brexit policy.
The minister that will have to go an negotiate the extension just voted against the extension.

The fact that MPs are more scared of the backlash for revoking a50 than the obvious hell of a no deal brexit is the stupidest shit going
Politicians putting their own interests over the nations? Unheard of.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
The minister that will have to go an negotiate the extension just voted against the extension.

Politicians putting their own interests over the nations? Unheard of.
In my lifetime this is the most transparent action of incompetence and misguided self-preservation.

They simultaneously don't trust the population to have a say in the current situation whilst enacting a decision made by a population who were even less informed than they currently are...do they think we aren't watching all this? If they don't think enough people care then just revoke already, if they think we are watching then they need to stop tiptoeing about and actually make some decisions

It's baffling they believe anyone with even a quarter of a brain respects any of them at this point

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
Theresa May's deal(s): Against
No deal: Against
Second Referendum: Against

So what the fuck do they want?

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So what the fuck do they want?

JeHeWbC.gif

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
The EU would likely not want to delay because the EU elections are coming up, right? A delay means that UK will get to have representation in the European Parliament even though they want to leave.

Oct 27, 2017
London
Any citizens from any of the following countries want to marry me and therefore get me a visa:
Sweden
Germany
Norway
Netherlands

Help a brother out, pls, if you are one of those anti anime people do not panic about my avatar, RWBY is all American and therefore hyper patriotic. Notice meh senpais, b-baka

Oct 27, 2017
London
They don't have the balls to vote for a 2nd referendum let alone revoke article 50, that would require career politicians to not care about their careers. Too scared of that potential backlash next election cycle, instead of being scared of long term effects.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Markets and industries love long term and short term uncertainty

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Proponents of a delay include people like Donald Tusk and Angela Merkel, so not exactly people who'd be considered to sympathize with people like Le Pen.

As long as Brexit happens by the end of June, there's not really a problem with an extension. The EU is not interested in a hard Brexit nor do they want the British press or politicians to somehow be able to put the blame on the EU ("We'd have figured a deal out if they just gave us more time!").

It's only if Brexit gets delayed past June that severe problems would arise due to the upcoming elections (which Britain would need to take part in). Would be still possible, but there would be strings attached (like a GE or another referendum).
It's giving populist forces time to cut losses and win the most seats as possible this May, so they can control the European Union. Conservatives may be "conservative" and allow the status quo for as long as possible but their confidence in stopping the alt right by themselves is wrong AF. This might give Britain some air and avoid populists blaming Europe for the no deal. By the time brexit (without a deal, rest assured) comes, damage will already be done.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
So is the current plan to just keep delaying it? I mean, Brexit means Brexit, will of the people etc will still happen, just... eventually. Some other time... In the future...

Like, the UK WILL leave the EU, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but someday*!

*Someday in the globally warmed desert hellscape future.

Oct 27, 2017
London
If the deal doesn't pass the "meaningful vote" number 3 May will ask for a long extension for unspecified reasons, which may not even be accepted, if it does pass May will ask for a short extension to implement the withdrawal agreement. That's all we know.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
So is the current plan to just keep delaying it? I mean, Brexit means Brexit, will of the people etc will still happen, just... eventually. Some other time... In the future...

Like, the UK WILL leave the EU, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but someday*!

*Someday in the globally warmed desert hellscape future.
Feels like a cousin to Trump's Wall. It exists and don't at the same time

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Expect the next development (rightly) to be

EU': 'Alright lads, extension. What's the plan'

Number 10: 'New phone, who dis'

Arrgghhhhhhhhhh

Just fucking leave already, Jesus Christ. This is really getting tiresome.

I appreciate it's a shitshow, but lives and livelihoods are literally at stake here

I'm sorry it's tiresome. It's tiresome following it, but just saying leave for the sake of it, please have empathy for those of us who will bear the consequence

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Assuming May's deal doesn't go through we'll probably end up with some Norway type deal, it's probably the only thing that can creep over the line. Give it 20 years and we'll apply to rejoin.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Honestly why doesn't the EU just kick your asses to the curb, UK? They gain nothing by continuing to entertain this shit-show, and I think it's well proven that you're never going to agree on a deal.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly why doesn't the EU just kick your asses to the curb, UK? They gain nothing by continuing to entertain this shit-show, and I think it's well proven that you're never going to agree on a deal.

When you say "you" and "your", who exactly are you referring to?

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
When you say "you" and "your", who exactly are you referring to?
Sorry, I meant to the UKers in this thread/on this forum, who I assume know most about Brexit, thus the clarifying "UK" in that question

I really want to know why the EU "in theory" should honor this extension when there doesn't seem to be any evidence suggesting it will help anything

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
there needs to be a 3rd party to suggest a resolution to have a vote to do away with Brexit. Prince Charles on a horse, wielding Excalibur could ride into Parliament and order a new referendum by writ of the will of the people.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Because they don't want to see an entire country of 60+ million people thrown to the shit based on 52% of the voting populace being duped into chopping their own arms off?