• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
"An election or referendum would solve little"? Why? Seems like another ref would definitely solve this.
You think the gammons and the ERG would accept it if a 2nd ref swung to remain?

Despite what is going on I still believe it would be a tight result. 55-45 at most for the winning side

Oct 26, 2017
What if Leave wins again

Then that's it.

The ref needs to be presented with clear and decisive options. For example, since the current (and only) deal has been rejected by parliament the options could be:

1) Leave the EU with no deal, defaulting to WTO rules
2) Revoke A50 and remain a member of the EU.

(One of) the problems with the previous referendum was that you had one "clear" option (Remain), and one that was open to interpretation (Leave), which is why parliament can't come to a consensus on what to do, as those that voted leave did not all vote leave with the same intended outcome (i.e Some would have voted with the intent on leaving with a deal, and others without)

By giving the public the final say, it clears a lot up. If people want to foolishly vote for oblivion, then so be it.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Then that's it.

The ref needs to be presented with clear and decisive options. For example, since the current (and only) deal has been rejected by parliament the options could be:

(One of) the problems with the previous referendum was that you had one "clear" option (Remain), and one that was open to interpretation (Leave), which is why parliament can't come to a consensus on what to do, as those that voted leave did not all vote leave with the same intended outcome (i.e Some would have voted with the intent on leaving with a deal, and others without)

By giving the public the final say, it clears a lot up. If people want to foolishly vote for oblivion, then so be it.
Yeah, the only issue is how will they agree what the leave option on the ballot is.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Then that's it.

If you got agreement to put those exact options on the ballot, sure.

But any call for another referendum would instantly precipitate another round of conflict over what goes on the ballot (May would never allow her deal not to be an option), which is why I can't see a second referendum as a concept being a silver bullet.

The underlying issue is the UK is so fundamentally divided it can't move in any direction.

OnkelC

Oct 27, 2017
Considering the upcoming EU Parliament elections in late May (teh Month!!!), the timeframe for an Extension would be 2 monthsmax. maybe three months before the first session of the then-elected EU Parliament on July 2nd. What could be accomplished on the GB side in that timeframe remains unclear. My hopes arn't very high for a substantial change in politics.

Oct 26, 2017

But any call for another referendum would instantly precipitate another round of conflict over what goes on the ballot (May would never allow her deal not to be an option), which is why I can't see a second referendum as a concept being a silver bullet.

The underlying issue is the UK is so fundamentally divided it can't move in any direction.
f0rk too:

Yep, I have no doubt that would be a shitshow too. They could propose to use STV, but thats doubtful since it runs the risk of the public realising it's actually a good idea.

For those who don't know, STV is where rather than people voting for a single option, they mark their votes in order of preference. The votes are then counted in "rounds", starting with adding up all the "first preference" options. If none of the options end up with more than 50% of the overall total, then the worst performing option is eliminated, and all ballots that had voted for that option are added to the totals of the remaining options, based on what was marked as "second preference" on those ballots. This process is repeated again and again until one of the options has an overall majority.

In that scenario "Deal", "No Deal", and "Remain" could all be placed on the ballot.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Corbyn would probably stick his oar in and ask for his magic deal to be on there as well somehow.

Oct 25, 2017
Then that's it.

To hold such a referendum the EU would have to grant an A50 extension. I find it unlikely they would agree to one if that's what the referendum would say.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Some quality shitposting and the snowflakes are offended. How about said teasing wouldn't be on show if May, the Tories and the UK weren't an absolute shambles?

Oct 26, 2017
I love this hypothetical doomsday scenario that every fucking politician in the UK always conjures about the public losing trust in democracy if they'd show some fucking backbone... Like fuck off as if anyone still trusts these incompetent irresponsible hacks. To them this is nothing but another step in their career. None of them care for anyones life they ruin. They will never have to face the reality of their little game.
If nothing else this situation goes to show that British democracy doesn't work. Because it's institutions are filled with heel dragging spineless career politicians that will never face any consequences.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Considering the upcoming EU Parliament elections in late May (teh Month!!!), the timeframe for an Extension would be 2 monthsmax. maybe three months before the first session of the then-elected EU Parliament on July 2nd. What could be accomplished on the GB side in that timeframe remains unclear. My hopes arn't very high for a substantial change in politics.
So if they want a second referendum or re-elections they have to take part in the EU parliament elections.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
The fact that even defenders of this shit need to put it in an apocalyptic context says alot. The fact that the sun will still rise the day after shouldn't be your base expectations.
I'd throw the lot of them in power-less Venezuela for a couple of weeks just to get a taste of actual dystopic scarcity happening right now, in the 21th century.

Oct 30, 2017

It would have to be like this:

Do you want to leave Europe

- No

or

- Yes

With a subsection below it of
if Leave wins

- No Deal
- May Deal

So one final vote on leave or remain
And one vote on the deal regardless of result

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
That's what you get, when you ask the people such a simple question like "Out: yay or nay" and then don't follow it up a couple of years later with a question like : "Out without a deal, with deal No. 1 or No. 2 or you know what, I was just being silly I'd rather stay in the EU?!".

What a monumental mess this is, damn.

Deleted member 50454

Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Then that's it.

The problem with that is your average cunt doesn't know what "no deal, defaulting to WTO rules" actually means because they're stupid; or they don't care because they're a selfish cunt, or both.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god the full thing is even more damning

"Off to Austria on their travels"
"We've managed before"
"They've treated our PM disgustingly"

wCFaRdk.png

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I love this hypothetical doomsday scenario that every fucking politician in the UK always conjures about the public losing trust in democracy if they'd show some fucking backbone... Like fuck off as if anyone still trusts these incompetent irresponsible hacks. To them this is nothing but another step in their career. None of them care for anyones life they ruin. They will never have to face the reality of their little game.
If nothing else this situation goes to show that British democracy doesn't work. Because it's institutions are filled with heel dragging spineless career politicians that will never face any consequences.

Exactly our so called Democracy is broken, any idiot can see that with their hypocrisy. Their allowed to vote over the exact same thing after a few weeks, while the public's say over 2 years is somehow final even though things have changed alot. Their ignoring their own rules have been found in contempt. I don't know how anyone can believe in the validity of the UK's democracy after these so called chumps games.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Oh my god the full thing is even more damning

"Off to Austria on their travels"
"We've managed before"
"They've treated our PM disgustingly"

And we want to give these people a vote in a 2nd ref...

I wish for nothing more than a 2nd ref to deliver a landslide victory for remain but with people like this a 2nd ref is still going to be close and will solve nothing....

Revoke A50 and deal with fallout... Have another ref in 10 years when most of these idiots have died off.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
It would have to be like this:

Do you want to leave Europe

- No

or

- Yes

With a subsection below it of
if Leave wins

- No Deal
- May Deal

So one final vote on leave or remain
And one vote on the deal regardless of result

Why even have "no deal" as an option? Too dangerous to put that on there.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
If the UK applies for an extension with the prospect of a second referendum of (at best) unclear result, I would put my money on the EU saying NO/NON/NEIN.

I bloody hope so.
It's time the EU says 'Get fucked. You're in or out. Pasta'.
What a giant kindergarten. Unbelievable that this shitfest is going on since 2 years straight without any hint of a plan or even an outcome.
One would think if the EU isn't better off without a country run by completly incompetent fuckwits.

Oct 27, 2017
London
We should pay for long, 3 month holidays to Caracas, Venezuela for anyone who still wants to leave, especially with no deal at this point. They can witness what "we can survive, we have food in our gardens" truly means.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I hope I don't get banned for saying this but maybe there's a possibility that Brexit is not a very good idea? Maybe?

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
If Parliament can't decide then having all options on there is the only viable solution if it goes to vote

I doubt it will though
Nah, it would be fucking irresponsible to put that as an option, considering the intelligence of the average voter. I don't ask my kid if she'd like a) jelly b) gelato c) the guillotine. I mean, she's more intelligent than literally any Brexiter, but I don't like to leave things to chance.

Oct 30, 2017
Nah, it would be fucking irresponsible to put that as an option, considering the intelligence of the average voter. I don't ask my kid if she'd like a) jelly b) gelato c) the guillotine. I mean, she's more intelligent than literally any Brexiter, but I don't like to leave things to chance.

It was mental to have the 50/50 vote in the first place
And if it wasn't an option I can only imagine it causing uproar amongst the idiots.

Tbh - between the Remain voters and the sensible leave voters I don't see it as winning anyway even if it was an option

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Where can I put my name down to be an MEP candidate since they've likely not put anyone forward yet.

Might as well attempt a chance of winning by default.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
This malthouse compromise just sounds a different flavoured cake that the ERG and Rees Moog want to eat...

Just more fantasy brexit wet dreams from hard Brexiteers...

What a fucking joke

sorry for nasty mental images this post may bring