• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
Thread was originally started yesterday about the vote on May's Brexit deal. That vote was lost by a dramatic margin. She now faces a vote of no confidence tonight, due to take place in the House of Commons at 19:00.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46887852

Theresa May's government faces a vote of no confidence later after MPs rejected the PM's Brexit deal.

Labour launched the bid to trigger a general election after the deal setting out the terms of Britain's exit from the EU was rejected by 230 votes.

However, one senior party figure has suggested it is unlikely to succeed, with Northern Ireland's DUP and Tory rebels saying they will back the PM.

The confidence vote is expected to be held at about 19:00 GMT.

Mrs May has told MPs she will return to the Commons with an alternative plan next week, provided she survives the confidence vote.

For yesterday's events, see:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46885828

PM Theresa May loses MPs' vote on Brexit deal by 432 votes to 202 - the biggest government defeat in history

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Today is one of those days in British politics when all eyes are on the House of Commons as they decide, or not as the case may be, where the country heads next. There will likely be updates and speculation all day and the general threads on these events outside of the Brexit OT are always lively, so let it all begin!

Implications of the vote range from the dramatic to the mundane, but a large defeat for the government will almost certainly spark a seismic chain of events.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46868194

One of the first big pieces of news of the day is Hilary Benn withdrawing his amendment to the motion, that tried to rule out a 'no deal' at this stage.

Hadn't caught that Benn backed down, should make the vote quite clear cut. It's what happens after we have no idea about.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Spoiler, nothing will change.

May to lose by 200+ and bring her deal back to the house next week.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Nov 14, 2017
Today is one of those days in British politics when all eyes are on the House of Commons as they decide, or not as the case may be, where the country heads next. There will likely be updates and speculation all day and the general threads on these events outside of the Brexit OT are always lively, so let it all begin!

Implications of the vote range from the dramatic to the mundane, but a large defeat for the government will almost certainly spark a seismic chain of events.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46868194

One of the first big pieces of news of the day is Hilary Benn withdrawing his amendment to the motion, that tried to rule out a 'no deal' at this stage.

Fucking centrists. Hilary Benn is such an awful character; so utterly spineless. That whole crowd has spent ages criticising Corbyn for not being pro-Remain enough, and now he goes and withdraws his amendment but will pursue opposition at a later date? We leave in a few months; the time to have an amendment is now with this bill! Sure. It's not just that the polling indicated that his seat was only narrow pro-Remain

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Fucking centrists. Hilary Benn is such an awful character; so utterly spineless. That whole crowd has spent ages criticising Corbyn for not being pro-Remain enough, and now he goes and withdraws his amendment but will pursue opposition at a later date? We leave in a few months; the time to have an amendment is now with this bill! Sure. It's not just that the polling indicated that his seat was only narrow pro-Remain

Keeping the amendment would lessen the defeat of May's vote.

Theresa May deserves to have this vote come back as a massive defeat because of the way shes handled everything about these negotiations.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never met as fatalistic a people as the British.

OP
OP
MassiveNights

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
Astounding that Theresa May appears to be as stubborn and arrogant as ever in the face of enormous defeat.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Donald Trump: My stubbornness and refusal to concede will lead my country to ruin worse than any other leader!

Theresa May: Hold my tea...

OMEGALUL

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I don't understand what's the big deal, take your no deal and suffer. The English voters WANTED this.

Chas Hodges

Nov 7, 2017
Cameron and May are the worst back to back PMs this country has ever seen.

Cameron irrevocably damaging the UK for THE REST OF TIME because he couldn't control his party / was afraid of Nigel 'walking leatherette sofa' Farage then bottling it the day he had to actually acknowledge and deal with his fuck up, followed by May, a character so desperate for power she'd sell the entire British people out on a deal she herself knows is utterly flawed.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, if they vote no today Theresa can let them vote next week and the week after that till they realise they have no other choice?

killer_clank

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what's the big deal, take your no deal and suffer. The English voters WANTED this.

Only a tiny amount of hardcore Eurosceptic voters actually voted for no deal. No deal was barely mentioned during the referendum, even if granted that was down to the Brexit elite lies. It's unfair to say most regular voters wanted that.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Cameron and May are the worst back to back PMs this country has ever seen.

Cameron irrevocably damaging the UK for THE REST OF TIME because he couldn't control his party / was afraid of Nigel 'walking leatherette sofa' Farage then bottling it the day he had to actually acknowledge and deal with his fuck up, followed by May, a character so desperate for power she'd sell the entire British people out on a deal she herself knows is utterly flawed.
This is the desperation that happens when a party's voterbase is dying off and, thanks to their own fucking policies, have no future generation to replace them with.

OP
OP
MassiveNights

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
So, if they vote no today Theresa can let them vote next week and the week after that till they realise they have no other choice?

The reality is that parliament will 'take back control' of proceedings in some way or instigate a way for the public to intervene on the deadlock, either in a general election or a second referendum, rather than career recklessly towards no deal.

But it's also true that even the most seasoned political reporters don't really know what is going to happen next. The vote is the culmination of years of tensions.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Only a tiny amount of hardcore Eurosceptic voters actually voted for no deal. No deal was barely mentioned during the referendum, even if granted that was down to the Brexit elite lies. It's unfair to say most regular voters wanted that.
Indeed. The thing people voted for was so poorly defined that it's impossible to say what people actually voted for. Everyone had their own idea of Brexit. Whether or not those ideas were realistic or good is a whole separate matter though.

Can she delay Article 50 though?
She can withdraw, and hypothetically trigger it again at a later date. That wouldn't remove any of the complications and complexities of a Brexit however, so I'm not sure what good it would do for her. The EU is also open to allowing a delay if they can show meaningful progress can be made, like with for instance a new general election or referendum, but I don't think May's keen on those options.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I may have missed developments, but the latest I had heard was that the EU would be open to extending article 50, but only if there was to be a general election or second referendum that could substantially change proceedings.

She can withdraw, and hypothetically trigger it again at a later date. That wouldn't remove any of the complications and complexities of a Brexit however, so I'm not sure what good it would do for her.

And wouldn't she need Parliament to go along with that, which I don't know that they would given they are likely going to torpedo her first deal?

What a mess.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fail to get it through the Commons
Return to the EU for a better deal
The EU ain't gonna throw her a bone
Returns with a tail between her legs
Scream bloody murder about the people's will
Rise and repeat

bandersnatch_logo.jpg

> Hard Brexit
> New referendum

Exciting times ahead.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017

Not without the consent of the other EU nations. And unlikely if she doesnt have a solid plan in place. Which makes the next few days more interesting than today IMO.

She's going to lose this vote, and massively (over 200+). It's what she does after today which will define this whole process IMO.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard it on good authority that Brexit means Brexit.

EGM92

Nov 16, 2017
Does anyone know of any projections of how much this is going to cost the UK if there's no deal vs no brexit?

OP
OP
MassiveNights

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
Is possible when she's voted down, to cancel Article 50, step aside as PM and say "Someone else give this a shot"?

She could and should resign, but this is Theresa May and she has already stubbornly refused to do so up to this point despite there being two or three similar 'resign moments'.

Re: Article 50, the posts above explain that part.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
7pm! Jesus christ. I was hoping it would be earlier in the day than that. Going to be a productive day for me.......

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Only with the consent of the EU, and they've suggested they'll only do that to give time for a democratic solution (i.e. a general election or referendum). If it's just to attempt to renegotiate or spend more time on internal squabbling then no, probably not.

The UK can withdraw the Article 50 notification completely. But that causes problems if it's not done in good faith, such as withdrawing it to reset the clock and then triggering it again.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so fucking tired of Brexit and also Theresa May. Whenever her stupid mug pops up on the news spouting bullshit I start yelling at the TV to shut up. I really hate that woman. God I hope we don't leave

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Astounding that Theresa May appears to be as stubborn and arrogant as ever in the face of enormous defeat.

What other response could she give other than call off Brexit. If the deal fails, we're likely to see Parliament take control of Brexit from the government. It's a complete rewrite of the governments powers. If Mays deal doesn't go through, she might have weakened PMs position forever.

I mean today could be the day that the government falls. The total defeat of this bill, will be the best opportunity Corbyn will get to call a vote of no confidence. The longer he delays, the worse his position will become. If that happens, who knows what happens next?

I think May is playing for the eyes of history, not the present. She sees herself as the PM who got Brexit done. Anything else is a failure. I mean she didn't just drink from the poison chalice, she drank the whole stinking lot and asked for seconds.

The way I see it. Her career is over, her legacy is probably going to be failure, at this point, she might as well go down with the sinking ship.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Only with the consent of the EU, and they've suggested they'll only do that to give time for a democratic solution (i.e. a general election or referendum). If it's just to attempt to renegotiate or spend more time on internal squabbling then no, probably not.

The UK can withdraw the Article 50 notification completely. But that causes problems if it's not done in good faith, such as withdrawing it to reset the clock and then triggering it again.

Yep. Likely to see the rules change on that. Gentlemen and Ladies, we have entered the End Game.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know of any projections of how much this is going to cost the UK if there's no deal vs no brexit?
Currently it has cost the country £500 million a week (£26 billion a year), and that's before any of the other shit has hit the fan, so I think it's far to say A LOT