• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If he'd have met, she'd have just said it wasn't positive and Corbyn wasn't constructive

Which is not the same as

On Wednesday night the PM met the SNP, Lib Dem and Plaid Cymru leaders but not Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn.

She said: "I am disappointed that the leader of the Labour Party has not so far chosen to take part, but our door remains open."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46900367

You're dealing with the general public here. The narrative of hey look, Corbyn's the only one who won't meet the PM, is worse to damage control than what you said.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are far louder, far more influential and far more numerous voices arguing for a second referendum in the UK than there are arguing for Impeachment in the US. it's not even close.

Several minor opposition parties, and 70+ of the official opposition's MPs have called for a second referendum, as well as multiple former Ministers and Prime Ministers. Outside of politics Ian McEwan, Patrick Stewart and JK Rowling also back a second referendum.

Who the fuck has seriously mooted Impeachment over in the US? Dan Savage? Some other "celebrities?" Call us when Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are calling for Impeachment.

Um several congress people have directly called for it including a couple of leaked backroom calls (motherf****) but the lack of the use of the word impeach is perfectly explicable as a politic. And Dan Savage? Eh? There are dozens and dozens of more current pundits and celebrities demanding it.

So you're right that Schumer and Pelosi are breaking their backs to avoid saying what they think is a politically toxic trap phrase.

But the majority of congress and senate Dems are directly calling for the underlying investigations, testimony and even legal protections of the Mueller probe in order to have a slam dunk case for immediate impeachment or resignation (their preferred choice outside of elections) when the report is finished.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
A what point can we legit start setting shit on fire? Jezza might as well resign, the idiot is invisible, we are in the midst of the worst government pretty much ever and he can't even make himself relevent.
Invisible? I'm not sure you saw earlier when he tabled a vote of no confidence. How can he do anymore? He is only the leader of the opposition.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
He said meet for substantial talks. So he should have followed suit with the others and went and formally stated his "red lines".

Now the optics are Corbyn is the only one who hasn't met the PM, the deadlock is Corbyn's fault.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46900367

Why should Corbyn be seen to be helping May's deal in anyway? That's just opening up bigger problems. He stated his one precondition immediately, an eminently reasonable one that Hammond promised business leaders yesterday (he should have brought that up tbh). Now he's joined by the others saying the same thing.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why should Corbyn be seen to be helping May's deal in anyway? That's just opening up bigger problems. He stated his one precondition immediately, an eminently reasonable one that Hammond promised business leaders yesterday (he should have brought that up tbh). Now he's joined by the others saying the same thing.

So the others meeting for 10~15 minutes with May to conclude on the formality of her public "my door is open for talks and I invite you", is helping May? The SNPs red lines go even further than Corbyns bringing up the single market and customs union.

SNP, "no deal taken off table before talks can begin", same SNP, met with May tonight

I'm going to drop this as I actually feel I'm in some sort of Twilight Zone where Corbyn can do no wrong.

Yes, he's joined by the others, but the others had the sense to, even just for the sake of optics, meet with May tonight. It didn't give her an easy win out of the gate to say they are refusing to even meet her. They handled it better than Corbyn. Which is not good enough, because the small parties are not the main opposition of the Tories trying to get the general public in predominantly England conflicted in their support of May/Tories/Brexit.

Last edited:

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
not really no, wales has several of the poorest areas in northern europe, they've seen no benefits of EU membership, yes, it's mostly the fault of our government but it's more of a vote for change. misguided, sure.
I live in Wales, and the blue signs all over the fucking place say otherwise.

We've had a damn sight more investment in deprived areas from the EU than we have from Westminster.

Nov 23, 2017
Um several congress people have directly called for it including a couple of leaked backroom calls (motherf****) but the lack of the use of the word impeach is perfectly explicable as a politic. And Dan Savage? Eh? There are dozens and dozens of more current pundits and celebrities demanding it.

So you're right that Schumer and Pelosi are breaking their backs to avoid saying what they think is a politically toxic trap phrase.

But the majority of congress and senate Dems are directly calling for the underlying investigations, testimony and even legal protections of the Mueller probe in order to have a slam dunk case for immediate impeachment or resignation (their preferred choice outside of elections) when the report is finished.
You're both right, but impeachment in the US is not really comparable to a second referendum. There can not be a second trump Hillary election but you can vote on brexit again. The breaking of norms of referendum redo is not going to shake the political core and process of the UK like impeachment would here. Remember no president has actually ever been removed due to impeachment.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017

We've had a damn sight more investment in deprived areas from the EU than we have from Westminster.
Nick Cleggs did a short BBC doc on this topic. The Welsh people he interviewed were upset all the money was spent on training facilities, infrastructure, some art etc instead of jobs.

They claim they don't want handouts, but they're also resistant to retraining - so because the EU can't magically bring back old industry, fuck em for helping I guess?

Plum

May 31, 2018

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
An awful lot of comments on Twitter along the lines of 'I don't like Gove but wow what a speech! Future PM material!'. In fact i've read it so much it's strange. I guess that's the hive mind opinion today. I thought it was typical Tory bullshit but with more theatrics than usual. He paced about a bit and got all hot and bothered.

If that snivelling little shit is ever PM i'm out of here and done.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An awful lot of comments on Twitter along the lines of 'I don't like Gove but wow what a speech! Future PM material!'. In fact i've read it so much it's strange. I guess that's the hive mind opinion today. I thought it was typical Tory bullshit but with more theatrics than usual. He paced about a bit and got all hot and bothered.

Parts of Britain want their Donald Trump.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017

Yeah we have done well out of EU investment. Never felt like the Tory government ever gave a shit about Wales. The Lagoon being a prime example of this and now the power station etc.

Oct 26, 2017

Huge chunks of the UK voted for Brexit. Most of them are a lost cause that hate the responsibility of choice that comes with free will. They want a master to dictate to them how to live, and if that means a half-wit who'll send them back to the workhouses of the 19th century then so be it.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Is this like "oh shit, that's a terrible fckng deal", now let's see who wants to be in charge to take us out of this mess? hmmmmm, noone. Ok May, we "trust" in you...

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's not exactly a secret she is like that, she was just as bad at the home office.

It's frustrating as it's the cowards in the bushes who'll vote her through a no confidence vote and then vote the party through a no confidence not to trigger a GE and rid of her that way.

So if you have a Tory leader who doesn't do a runner like Cameron they're pretty much invincible until the next ordinary GE.

But then again imagine Rees-Mogg, Boris or Gove as the leader. Jesus Christ. A party utterly devoid of even a begrudgingly decent choice for leader.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Corbyn won't talk to May because she refuses to take no deal off the table meanwhile Hammond promises business leaders that MPs won't allow a no deal brexit. I fucking hate the lot of them no wonder nothing has been done in two and a half years.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017

There is a good portion of people who just want empty rhetoric with a fiery delivery. That's it. They wanted people who feel as angry as they do. To them, it was a great speech. These are also the most likely folks to go to twitter and spout about how awesome it was. This is all bullshit and his speech was just empty, garbage spewing rhetoric. The ability to speak and throw mud at your opposition doesn't make you a leader. It's just whataboutism and that doesn't solve anything.

Keep in mind I'm from America and while I'll watch parliamentary hearings because they're entertaining, I do not have anything other than opinions on Brexit (which may or may not be completely misguided because it's not my country). With that said, I felt like Ian Blackford was someone who, when he spoke, showed real leadership. He seemed to have the desires of his constituents in mind and actually made points about what needed to be done to prevent this from being a disaster.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
Brexit has become one of those medication ads that offers benefits and then a long list of quickly listed possible horrible side effects :-)

Stale mate, with no likely winners. Leader with some nerve / direction needed....please report to 10 Downing St.

Only 2 options imo, leave (hard) or remain....half pie solutuons dont cut it....just need the Government and opposition to offer clear choices.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If May had any sense she would realise that her own party can't get rid of her for a year and if she actually worked with the opposition she could get stuff done because she's basically untouchable by the hard brexit types.

but she's thick and useless.

Jul 24, 2018
Why does the English, and the Welsh want to leave the EU so badly? We love you guys, love the music that has come out of them, the culture and everything. My impression of the Welsh is some genuinely cool people. Why do you wanna leave the club? ;__;

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Why does the English, and the Welsh want to leave the EU so badly? We love you guys, love the music that has come out of them, the culture and everything. My impression of the Welsh is some genuinely cool people. Why do you wanna leave the club? ;__;
Thier whiteness are being threatened because of those damn immigrants. It's the same reason why the USA has Trump.

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
Never going to happen, but would love. Sinn Féin to wander into parliament in the next 30 mins and vote May out

When the vote of no confidence was announced, the exact same thought went through my mind, even looked up the number of MP's Sinn Féin had. Only seven so it wouldn't have made a difference, I wonder how hard it would have been to resist there policy of not taking thier seats if their votes could have triggered an election giving them a chance at some DUP seats.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Because a lot of people are struggling, and it's easy to put the blame on Others. There's a massive cultural divide between the big cities (esp. London) and working class towns/rural areas, not helped by the government always putting the former first. People are resentful and frustrated, and the right-wing press (and Russia, lol) have capitalised on that.

Some will claim it's a Left v Right thing, or Progressives v Bigots, or Old vs Young, but it's sadly not that simple. I know, because I was born and raised in a Brexit heartland and this whole palaver has helped rend my family in two.

In the end, the real villains in all this are the fatcat businessmen screwing over the common folk while pointing their fingers at Those Bloody Foreigners.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
Speaking for us Welsh I will say we are cool people. Sadly though there are a lot of people here who like to blame immigrants for the shite that Tory governments have put Wales through. This despite the fact that labour is easily the biggest party in Wales. So we vote left but there's that little part of people that likes to think things are the EU's fault. Don't ask me why but it's just like Northern England, vote Labour and also voted leave. We are a weird lot.
Also old people. Lot's of old people. And those fuckers vote in their droves.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think Corbyn is making a mess of this. It's time to get behind another referendum. Get with the lib dems and SNP and demand another referendum.

After March 29th Scotland need to have another independence referendum. They can still get out of this madness.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Because a lot of people are struggling, and it's easy to put the blame on Others. There's a massive cultural divide between the big cities (esp. London) and working class towns/rural areas, not helped by the government always putting the former first. People are resentful and frustrated, and the right-wing press (and Russia, lol) have capitalised on that.

Some will claim it's a Left v Right thing, or Progressives v Bigots, or Old vs Young, but it's sadly not that simple. I know, because I was born and raised in a Brexit heartland and this whole palaver has helped rend my family in two.

In the end, the real villains in all this are the fatcat businessmen screwing over the common folk while pointing their fingers at Those Bloody Foreigners.
After Grenfell, how can anyone argue that cities are put first?

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Because some who don't live in cities have very warped perceptions of those who do. I've known people to assume that everyone who lives in London is a tax-evading millionaire, or that Birmingham is run by some kind of ISIS cartel.

Just as it's easy for people to presume everyone who voted Leave a racist bigot, so too can others presume Remainers rich, upper-class toffs looking to screw over the common working man.

And that's what got us into this mess: ignorance. On both sides.

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
not really no, wales has several of the poorest areas in northern europe, they've seen no benefits of EU membership, yes, it's mostly the fault of our government but it's more of a vote for change. misguided, sure.

I disagree, it was definitely a case of turkeys voting for christmas.

Far too many people who want things to return back to the old days of heavy industry and dont want to reskill.

People who are "concerned about immigration" when the closest they've come to a "foreigner" is someone from England.

Link83

Dec 12, 2017
I'm not sure how Grenfell is an example that the government doesn't put London first for investment? From what I recall wasn't the cladding put on because the rich locals considered the building an eyesore?

A better example would be to look at the state of the rail network In London and then elsewhere. Heck in my area we still have diesel Pacer tains from the 1980's (Which were based on converted buses and have a number of issues)

Then you find posts like this on this very forum:-
As a Londoner, I'm thoroughly sick of these cunts in rural England and places like Stoke and Barnsley. London is too good to be stuck with this lot. We should demand independence.
I bet you also wonder why people from elsewhere in the UK think Londoners are stuck up cunts who couldn't give a shit about anything that happens outwith a 10 mile radius of their front door.
They'd be right. I don't give two shits about anywhere outside London. I'm sick of London subsidising the whole country and getting nothing in return.
In case you were genuinely wondering, we didn't ask you to drop the dog turds of Brexit and consecutive Tory governments on our doorstep, and that's what the rest of England has done. We don't get consulted on the rest of the country trousering 1/5th of our tax revenue, but trouser our money the rest of the country does.

Go on, humour me. Name a single thing the rest of the England offers London in return. Name one. Something that makes up for the avalanche of shit I have just mentioned.
Is it any wonder people feel resentment over London?

Last edited:

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I am not going to lie, a no deal Brexit is so batshit insane that some part of me is curious to see it happen.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Watching from across the pond and I have to say this is a fantastic thread overall, for both its density of information and entertainment value. I hope no Brexit happens in the end, as farfetched as it is.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
So all the car companies are going to transfer their work to Europe, and a trillion GBP is leaving city of london to get reallocated along with jobs in frankfurt/paris/dublin. I imagine agriculture/fishing is pretty fucked too. Pharma insutry has zero confidence in post brexit.

Is there actually any benefit to any industry because of brexit?

Deleted member 21431

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We are sadly heading for a no deal Brexit. However, this is what this country needs. Those who voted for it (and I'm not one of them), need to suffer more economic hardship, lost jobs, food shortages etc in order to learn. I know there's a danger that the right will blame Europe for all of it, but it might wake some people out of their beliefs on Britain being an Empire and centre of the world etc. Once this country's ego is totally crushed, we can approach Europe again with a proper view of our place in the world. Anything other than hard Brexit will store up anger that will explode further down the line.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Listening to Brandon Lewis this morning, the talks are all aimed at technical fixes to get May's deal over the line.

I think they forgot about the 0 in the defeat on Tuesday.

Oct 25, 2017
We are sadly heading for a no deal Brexit. However, this is what this country needs. Those who voted for it (and I'm not one of them), need to suffer more economic hardship, lost jobs, food shortages etc in order to learn. I know there's a danger that the right will blame Europe for all of it, but it might wake some people out of their beliefs on Britain being an Empire and centre of the world etc. Once this country's ego is totally crushed, we can approach Europe again with a proper view of our place in the world. Anything other than hard Brexit will store up anger that will explode further down the line.

When are people going to get it, IT'S NOT GOING TO BE A LEARNING EXPERIENCE.

Hardship is always, always, twisted by those in power to push their agenda, through nationalistic ideology and scapegoating. It's how we got here in the first place and you're deluded if you're thinking the truth will click with people after brexit, especially when human pride and stubbornness will make Leavers rufuse to acknowledge any fault.