• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is ridiculous. Lost a post because of it. It won't even let me back to the previous page and just assumes that's the page I was at the entire time.

It's so random when it happens, like I just had a huge wave of em.

Please god fix this.

Edit: Canada, Chrome on Android

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's been out of hand for a while now but admins insist they are getting it fixed over and over and over and over and over again

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This has literally never happened to me. I'm using chrome on iOS, if that matters.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
From what I understand, individual sites can't control individual ads like that. They have to report them to the ad company who can then remove them. In the meantime, affected sites are at the mercy of the ad company. I'm sure it is extremely annoying for everybody involved.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Been getting these Verizon ones all morning and it's so irritating. Took 6 attempts to open a thread on the gaming side.

🙄🙄🙄

Xbro

Oct 25, 2017
Came to this side to mention this as well. I can hardly scroll without being redirected to some ad ware

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Had this happen on DESKTOP yesterday. Terrible.

Oct 27, 2017
This is happening nonstop to me this morning. I open a page and I get redirected to some spam site without clicking a button. I hope admin team can fix this quick.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From what I understand, individual sites can't control individual ads like that. They have to report them to the ad company who can then remove them. In the meantime, affected sites are at the mercy of the ad company. I'm sure it is extremely annoying for everybody involved.

They can ditch the ad server though.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I know forum staff get irritated when there's open threads all the time about this rather than using the ad reporting thread. Maybe they could sticky that thread in the etcetera forum for visibility rather than having people go find it on some other part of the site nobody really goes to on purpose?

might help if all I'm saying.

Also I've been getting it a bit lately as well. Safari on iOS mobile

Crispy

Oct 27, 2017
For reference: never had this happen to me using Firefox on Android and I exclusively browse ResetEra on mobile.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Happened to me a while ago but after two days or so everything was fine again. Guess the ads got reported by the team. It's almost certainly region-depenent. I'm in Germany and currently have no issues at all.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
I have never had this happen to me on my iphone, and I'm here via that phone multiple times per day.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I was getting them on chrome on Android, Firefox was fine. I'm just going to keep my vpn connected to my pi-hole at home and not have to worry about it.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Amazing to me internet ads are still as festering and exploitative as they were nearly 10 years ago when I was dealing with them at my job.

Ugh. I thought there'd be a huge demand for clean simple ads by now.

Svearik

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta
I know forum staff get irritated when there's open threads all the time about this rather than using the ad reporting thread. Maybe they could sticky that thread in the etcetera forum for visibility rather than having people go find it on some other part of the site nobody really goes to on purpose?

might help if all I'm saying.

Also I've been getting it a bit lately as well. Safari on iOS mobile

They need to do something about it then. It's been happening for months and when one of the ads picks someone to do this with - the site becomes literally unusable on mobile.

OP - just use an ad blocker and rest easy knowing the issue has been reported and largely ignored.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Maybe they should get a different fucking ad company then.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
This is not true. How many times have you been full page redirected to a scam site when browsing Gamespot. Kotaku. CNN, The Guardian, etc?

Plenty of times... Dozens and dozens of times in my life. Never to a volume like people report here, though.

Like, I don't have numbers for all the times it's ever happened on every site but I've had them on basically every site I use that relies on banners. Usually on those sites I'm only on 2-3 pages per visit though, unlike a site like this where I'm on continuously throughout the entire day loading hundreds of pages, so obviously it's that much more bothersome on a site like ours. It sucks, it's awful, obviously.

Last edited:

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Exactly. This happens with Era, not other mainstream sites. It's not the new norm that we should be content with.

To be clear, here, I never said anybody should be content with it. It's obviously a huge frustration and sucks. I don't know what the actual options are. I was just saying that this is why there is a gap between it being acknowledged and when it's able to be dealt with.

Oct 25, 2017
I've cut out my mobile browsing to a huge degree due to this. Removing Era from my bookmarks so I don't check out of habit and get my shit all fucked. Sucks, but I'm sticking with desktops (how ancient)

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is ridiculous. Lost a post because of it. It won't even let me back to the previous page and just assumes that's the page I was at the entire time.

It's so random when it happens, like I just had a huge wave of em.

Please god fix this.

Edit: Canada, Chrome on Android

Canada, Chrome and Android here, can confirm. How is ths still going on.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I got a bunch on Safari last night on my MacBook Pro. Kept telling me I had to download chrome or a flash update. It was sketchy as fuck and same behaviour as the OP described.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I've had it happen 2 or 3 times? Once I had to literally shut down my browser to escape whatever demon loop I was trapped in.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Happened a few times on mobile (Android/Chrome), but it was absolutely horrible yesterday on my laptop (PC/Chrome)...completely unusable

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
It's fucking annoying and if it keeps happening I'm going to stop looking at Era for a while.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, about to just stop browsing the site until this is fixed, it's getting so fucking annoying and feels like NOTHING is being done about it

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Sites can control their ads by not using whatever an ad company feeds them

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I started counting and I have now lost five posts just in the last two weeks. That is just the number of posts I have lost, not the number of times these ads have popped up. I didn't get a single one of these before that.

Android 10.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Just got another one. I'm browsing reddit more because of it. Please don't make me browse Reddit.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I just pay the $39 a year. Even when the ads are working normally I hate them. I figure the $40 is worth it as much as i use the forum.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I've had it happen two times so far when I'm on mobile. Chrome on Android. I don't browse Chrome on Desktop but Firefox hasn't had issues so far but I might just be very lucky at the moment.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Their ad company is literally lowering ERA's future revenue potential as more and more of its users get fed up and start blocking ads. I don't know if they signed a contract or whatever, but they need to consider switching providers. It's currently a terrible mobile experience.

zeox

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
This happens to me every once in a while on desktop and it's infuriating. Makes me want to quit browsing the site altogether :(

Status
Not open for further replies.