• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
30 minutes should be more than enough to test your connection and see if you like how it plays through the cloud.
That sounds like something for newcomers though (who haven't tested yet), and this doesn't really change much for them, since it still requires you to get an account first, which still puts you up against the 'Sign up for Pro to play' page and anyone taking them up on that will already have the free month of Pro to try out games. And even if you know how to skip the Pro trial you already have the 2hr refund for any game you'd buy so there's no risk trying out the game already.

For people who already use Stadia it could be decent to check out the quality/performance of the game on Stadia (like the Pixelcounters to confirm if the game's running 4k60 or not). For actually trialing a game it feels a bit short (especially without pauses), though it sounds like that might vary by title.

OP
OP

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
That sounds like something for newcomers though (who haven't tested yet), and this doesn't really change much for them, since it still requires you to get an account first, which still puts you up against the 'Sign up for Pro to play' page and anyone taking them up on that will already have the free month of Pro to try out games.
Just to be clear, the 30 minute trial does not require a Stadia account, just a regular Google account.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I think the biggest problem for Google and Amazon is conceptual - like, who is it for? You can definitely find people that it suits, but can you find enough that it is going to be a notable and profitable service? Everyone has a phone and everyone has their phone on them all day long, so the only games that the cloud service can meaningfully entice you with are ones that feasibly cannot exist on a phone. And who is thirsty for those types of games? People who already play those types of games, largely. And these people typically already own consoles. Maybe you can snag a few lapsed hardcore gamers here and there, but that feels like a rounding error in the margins of the market.

It seems like a similar use case that Nintendo has been pushing with Wii U and Switch. People may want to play games on their TV some of the time, but have the flexibility to play on other devices if they are traveling or the TV is already in use.

"Cannot feasibly exist on a phone" is probably too narrow of a view. There are lots of games that could feasibly exist on phones that have never been ported to them. Developing for phones can be challenging due to the wide array of hardware and different development environments. I think the appeal for developers of these cloud platforms is that they are PC-like (albeit Linux) and have a small number of target hardware configurations. It probably doesn't require much work to port a build between the different cloud services or Steam for Linux. There are also business issues, since there is a perception that it is difficult to get phone users to pay more than a few dollars for a game.

We probably also shouldn't ignore that there has been a major shortage in gaming hardware going on for a while now. So people who might want to buy a console or graphics card may not be able to do so at a reasonable price.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Nintendo also try something like this with Smash Bros. Brawl? You could play the opening few minutes of a bunch of their older games.

(Though of course being emulation, the full games were actually there sitting on the disc waiting to be unlocked or speed-run)

Apr 21, 2018
I think the biggest problem for Google and Amazon is conceptual - like, who is it for? You can definitely find people that it suits, but can you find enough that it is going to be a notable and profitable service? Everyone has a phone and everyone has their phone on them all day long, so the only games that the cloud service can meaningfully entice you with are ones that feasibly cannot exist on a phone. And who is thirsty for those types of games? People who already play those types of games, largely. And these people typically already own consoles. Maybe you can snag a few lapsed hardcore gamers here and there, but that feels like a rounding error in the margins of the market.

You can posit a future where the console is no longer required as an entry point, which is what Stadia and Luna are attempting to be. No hardware required, just get up and go! But if you're competing with Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo to attract their customers, and they can simply turn around and offer cloud services with full integration with their existing (massive) ecosystem of games and exclusive content, I think that's a daunting prospect and one that I cannot see being a winner. When we heard about Google getting spooked by Microsoft buying Bethesda, I can understand why, because Cloud isn't actually an entirely seperate blue ocean for gaming like they might have sometimes envisioned it as being 8 years ago on a drawing board when these big ideas were getting started internally. It's a very, very red ocean, where they need to go head to head with Microsoft and Sony (and to some extent Nintendo) to try and attract their customers.

The tech for Stadia is not something I'll critique, it's better than what Microsoft and Sony have, but I don't think it has much life in it as a platform. And the advantages of ecosystem integration from them are kind of killer when comparing business models, imo.

Completely agree. Stadia is hard to justify in the west for most current consoles owners... for now (lazzy ports, no exclusives, data caps in the US)

Nonetheless, Google must keep going because Stadia would be soon very convenient for:

√ Merging countries with many gamers, good internet, mediocre salaries.

√Switch players who don't want to pay another expensive console for only 2 AAA games.
√Abandoned Mac Players.
√Gamers who want to play next gen games without paying 500 bucks.(Next Gen Ubi Games will arrive in 2022)
√other scenarios.

Conclusion: The west is not ready for cloud gaming yet. (a vocal minority)Stadia could basically survive as a Ubisoft console/service.(nothing more if Google gives up the fight)

Well advertised, merging countries could be a paradise for cloud gaming services.(millions of gamers with low incomes but decent internet speed) The situation is crazy in brazil and could be even more nuts in India...

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This was always the most interesting part of the original concept, being able to see an ad for a game and try a demo in your browser immediately. A shame it took them this long to finally implement it

OP
OP

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
The Verge updated their article after talking to a Stadia rep. It seems like more trials are coming within the next few weeks and they can vary in time. So who knows, maybe for a long, single-player focused game you might get an hour trial. Not sure what they mean by "you may not see the same games as everyone else" though. Region specific? Library specific? Interesting to see how that works out:

A Stadia rep tells The Verge this is an experiment Google's running over the next couple of months, and it'll come to other select titles in the weeks to come. It won't always be 30-minute sessions, and you may not see the same games as everyone else, though.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Just tried it. The lag was almost OK but the visual quality was not great. Looked like a 720p YouTube video.

Apr 21, 2018
Just tried it. The lag was almost OK but the visual quality was not great. Looked like a 720p YouTube video.
Yeah IQ could be a weak point with cloud gaming. It also greatly vary from game to game (Edge also has a better IQ than Chrome)

Finally you can upgrade the IQ with AI machine learning of Nvidia Shield Pro if you want.(4K upscaling)

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah IQ could be a weak point with cloud gaming. It also greatly vary from game to game (Edge also has a better IQ than Chrome)

Finally you can upgrade the IQ with AI machine learning of Nvidia Shield Pro if you want.(4K upscaling)
Or I'll just buy games on something like steam and use my 3080 and 77" OLED to their maximum abilities. Hahah. Yeah I don't see streaming games in my near or even distant future.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I had thought this was always part of the value prop for Stadia. Imagine popping in to a AAA game from Chrome, seeing if you like it, then pulling the trigger. Probably wouldn't happen much in reality, of course.
Yep, this should have been there day one to sell the platform. It would have gotten ahead of the press about how easy/hard it is to use and latency/graphics discussions by being able to say "try it for yourself with any of these 10 games".