• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
  • Columbus discovered America (You can't discover a place that is already inhabited).
  • To become a post-racial society we need to "stop seeing color".
  • Video games are a terrible ill that have to be curbed.
  • Drug Addicts deserve to be blamed because they lack self-control.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Tongue taste map.

Tongue.gif
I came in here to post this. I remember it still being taught in 1997 in my school, and even then it seemed like bullshit.
They also taught us with that bogus food pyramid, which we all accepted as being "balanced" back then.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean sure he started, but he didnt become successful or known until the 2000s. Nobody knew who he was in the 90s because he was just some kid doing club shows. He didn't release his first special until the 2000s and that's when he became popular.
Stop trying to dodge responsibility for Dane Cook, 90's

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Bigger slammers will flip more pogs. Bullshit, I ran junior high with a regular ass slammer and all those big slammer punks went home crying to mommy and daddy for more pogs.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I ALWAYS knew the food pyramid was bullshit. You expect me to believe Im suppose to eat all that shit every day??? Fuck off.

Also my 7th grade teacher insisting that we write in cursive for all our assignments because we would need to do that when we were in college/adults. That shit was bullshit, you fucking dumb bitch.
That I wouldn't carry a calculator at all times in my pocket. lol where those idiot teachers at now
Fucking dumb asses!

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every school tier the teachers would threaten us by saying how <next tier> was going to be so much harder and we wouldn't be able to get away with stuff. Like "enjoy middle school because your high school teachers won't be as lenient on homework"

but nah, teachers were pretty easy all the way through.

Food pyramid and vastly overstating how necessary cursive would be were two huge ones tho.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was there ever a time in the later half of the 1900's where cursive was important, because these teachers born in the 50's fucking swore by that useless shit.

I remember how much anxiety it gave me because teachers slammed us over and over with how important it would be, they legitimately made it seem like we had one more year of being allowed to write in print before the rest of our lives would be in cursive. Cursive was for adults, print was for children, and once we learned cursive we'd never use print again. I struggled with cursive and expected to be an academic failure going forward.

Needless to say I didn't have to use cursive a single time and can't remember the last time I used it. Even my signature is just the letter of my first name with some vague squiggles.

I'm really curious if schools still do that when teaching it.

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
Elementary teachers: "When you're in high school they'll make you write all your papers in cursive!"

High school teachers: "Print, do not write in cursive."

ohhh man was that drilled into me during 2nd grade

Middle school- no cursive

High school - everything needed to be typed(unless it was test, in which, I just had to write in print)

The only cursive used is when I'm signing stuff

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I was in college, when someone says 90's I think of Green Day and weed.

My kid is still having to learn cursive. I told her to wait till high school then print everything freely.

Nov 17, 2017
Honestly did ANYONE follow or even attempt to follow the food pyramid?

It always just seemed like one of those bullshit things you had to memorize for testing and nothing else.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
That going into the 2000s the Minnesota Vikings would be a dynasty and win multiple Super Bowls in the coming decades.

OOPS. It was actually the fucking Patriots! :(

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That gender and racial equality were going to thrive beyond old world borders in a new world redefined by technology that allowed us to communicate unfettered the joy of living, aware and awake, instantaneously, like digital telepathy.

Sigh.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
That the internet would help spell the end of nationalism and racism, break down corporate control of information and our lives, and bring people together.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That the internet would destroy ideas of nationalism, break down corporate control of information and our lives and bring people together.
I remember distinctly huddling on the playground with friends, talking about the internet, and discussing how people "were gonna be so fucking free, they can't stop everyone from learning the greatest works of humanity in any language, at any time, at all hours! Imagine how much smarter everyone will be, how much of the old bullshit we'll cast aside as we share the best we have to offer with each other"?

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
the whole push for college/university. trying to figure all that shit out at 16/17 was insane in retrospect

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Christopher Columbus discovered America, proved the earth was round, and was a swell guy who was friends with the Indians.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
We had the best cartoons, but the rest of it they can keep*. I have zero nostalgia for the 90's

* besides Jurassic Park

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
My understanding of the situation is that the reason it didn't happen is because of the widespread fear/knowledge of it. This led us to be totally prepared and for it to end up as not a big deal.
This. It's like when people say "Hurricanes aren't really a big problem" without realizing that every building in hurricane country is built to code, every road is designed to have water flow quickly off it into reservoirs, and that every major service (electricity, water, road workers) deploy for each storm to handle repairs quickly.

There were years of warning for Y2K, and billions spent modernizing systems. One of these days I'll compile everything and make a thread or something as it's all pretty interesting read...

For anyone doubting it, think of it this way. You almost certainly at your office, home, school, or place of work a computer that runs on Windows XP that's still being used for something at least somewhat important. That means that a 15+ year old system... Now imagine that back in 1999 and realize it was happening then too... So you had things like traffic lights, radar towers at airports and yes even missile control systems being run on systems that were on par with a commodore 64 or even worse!

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
A fair bit of that pre-dates the 90s.

Sex Ed in Junior High we were told that condoms don't work in preventing or reducing the risk of contracting HIV/AIDS because the virus can pass through the latex, ignoring now the virus works.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
Our elementary/middle school teachers use to tell us that if we didn't turn papers in using cursive in high school/college that we'd fail, so it was the most important thing we'd learn.

This was, like, mid-late 90s. Computers existed.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To this day I don't know how to write in cursive. I bullshitted those stupid teachers all through elementary school.

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco
That's funny to read about you guys relationship with cursive.

When I was a kid in France, we all started by learning cursive for non capital letters since we're 4. Not print. For capital we still start by print and then we learn cursive when we re about 5 or 6

Print is something you learned by yourself by the time you go to middle or high school because you needed to write faster. A lot of people still write in cursive when they're 13-15

Now I'm all messed up and I write in a combination of both, I'd sometimes write the same letter - like s or r - in the two modes within the same sentence because of how I unintentionally priveleges a form above the other based on following or preceding letters.