• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
To this day I don't know how to write in cursive. I bullshitted those stupid teachers all through elementary school.
?

It's literally just print where you round the edges and don't lift your pencil between letters. It's not exactly difficult to learn or read.

Print is something you learned by yourself by the time you go to middle or high school because you needed to write faster.

But print is slower than cursive, that's like the whole conceit of it!

OP
OP
El Bombastico

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's velociraptors, specifically. I have no idea why Jurassic Park called their raptors by that name. Other members of the dromaeosaur family, such as dakotaraptor and utahraptor, are big.

At the time Jurassic Park the NOVEL came out, some paleontologists had suggested that Deinonychus (which is almost but not quite the size of the raptors in the book/film) be reclassified as a type of Velociraptor. By the time the film came out the debate had ended and Deinonychus remained a separate species, but for whatever reason Spielberg kept them as Velociraptors.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
That's velociraptors, specifically. I have no idea why Jurassic Park called their raptors by that name. Other members of the dromaeosaur family, such as dakotaraptor and utahraptor, are big.

1024px-Utahraptor_scale.png
1024px-Dakota_raptor_scale_mmartyniuk.png

They were based on the Deinonychus (Utahraptor wasn't classified until the year after the original Jurassic Park novel was written), and at the time Deinonychus was also called velociraptor antirrhopus. Crichton thought Velociraptor was a cooler name.

As for other things we were taught that were bullshit:

Five senses.

OP
OP
El Bombastico

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's funny to read about you guys relationship with cursive.

When I was a kid in France, we all started by learning cursive for non capital letters since we're 4. Not print. For capital we still start by print and then we learn cursive when we re about 5 or 6

Print is something you learned by yourself by the time you go to middle or high school because you needed to write faster. A lot of people still write in cursive when they're 13-15

Now I'm all messed up and I write in a combination of both, I'd sometimes write the same letter - like s or r - in the two modes within the same sentence because of how I unintentionally priveleges a form above the other based on following or preceding letters.

Would this explain why my French teacher (born and raised in France and 70 years old) had such HORRIBLE handwriting which was some unholy mix of cursive and print?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
?

It's literally just print where you round the edges and don't lift your pencil between letters. It's not exactly difficult to learn or read.
Nice try, Mrs. Wilson.

It's literally not that simple, because I do round my edges when I write quickly and it doesn't look anything like cursive. Certain letters are written completely different. Especially capitals. I absolutely can't read it either, looks like a foreign language.

Useless writing technique. Literally never needed it after elementary school cursive assignments.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
Cursive is kinda important for reading historical documents and as for the rest of that, I'm not too keen on over reliance on technology. Watching people unable to count change without the register telling them exactly what to do is pretty pathetic. Most education should be teaching you how to think. Computers just tell you what to think.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I found out the food pyramid was made by the USDA in 6th grade.

Why the fuck is the DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE telling the entire country to eat a shit ton of MOTHERFUCKING BREAD.

It blew my mind that no one realized that. And this was back in 2006.

Oct 25, 2017
China
The reason you need to do homework is becuse when you get a job most nights you'll need to take your work home to finish it. Might be true for teachers having to mark assignments for students, big bit of projection there.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't seen anyone mention D'Nealian handwriting yet. I was taught that in first grade instead of print and pretty much abandoned it for print within a year or two.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
That fashion repeats. That grunge look, those baggy-ass suits with stupid long ties, corduroys, JNCO jeans, frosted tips, people, they are never coming back. That shit died in the 90's like they deserved to.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
That fashion repeats. That grunge look, those baggy-ass suits with stupid long ties, corduroys, JNCO jeans, frosted tips, people, they are never coming back. That shit died in the 90's like they deserved to.
Grunge fashion came back in early 00's. It was a slimmer more refined look, but it came back. The mods style and 80's geometric suits also came back, not to mention the whole indie-rock era of mid 00's that based its entire look on 60's mick jagger.

Fashion does repeat but it's always mutated and refined into something new. Repeat is probably a bad word for it, but fashion looks back into history all the time.

Last edited:

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Quite a bit. Weed is bad, you should abstain from sex (thanks, the South), you need to know all kinds of ridiculous math because you'll never have a calculator with you, cursive is useful, Christopher Columbus was a hero, and you need to double space after every sentence.

Those are some of the usual suspects, but I'd also like to add that in the '90s, it was drilled into our heads that we could save the planet by doing things like picking up litter, saving the turtles, and recycling. But as it turns out, late-stage capitalism and rampant corporatism were like, haha, gotcha fuckers, it's over and there's nothing you can do about it.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marilyn Manson had his bottom ribs removed so that he could suck his own ding dong

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marilyn Manson had to be get his stomach pumped at the hospital because he swallowed a quart of semen

why was everyone at my Catholic School so obsessed with Marilyn Manson

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
American History

Did anyone else say that?
I was in school all throughout the 90's (born in 86) and my schools taught

Trail of Tears
US Japanese internment camps
The cruelty of early settlers including Christopher Columbus
Actually used the term "slavery" instead of "workers brought from Africa" which apparently some text books use today?

Maybe it's just I spent most of my school life in California? It wasn't nearly as sanitized and "AMERICA DOES NO WRONG" as so many others seem to have had.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
My answer is dumb as fuck teaching ofBen Franklin discovering electricity.
Anyone who went to K-12 in the 90s remembers this:

USDA_Food_Pyramid.gif

Well, to make a very long story short, it was all bullshit. For non-US people, know that the meat and dairy industries in the states has a VAST lobbying industry, rivaling and surpassing at times the gun lobby. When the US Gov proposed a food guide, they lobbied hard to make sure they each got their own section, which is the result you see above. Fats and oils are essential for a healthy diet, eating meat and drinking milk 2-3 times a day is not only not necessary, it could actually be bad for your health depending on which kinds you consume.
Idk. I still think the food pyramid is fine. American portions are just too large. Japanese people are pretty much the healthiest and are the least obese people in the word and their food pyramid is pretty much the same (they swap the locations of meat and fruit) as our old one.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017

Trail of Tears
Actually used the term "slavery" instead of "workers brought from Africa" which apparently some text books use today?

Maybe it's just I spent most of my school life in California? It wasn't nearly as sanitized and "AMERICA DOES NO WRONG" as so many others seem to have had.
I learned most of this in Mississippi as well (Definitely not Columbus though). Then again, I remember hearing our school was one of the better public ones in the state.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I learned most of this in Mississippi as well (Definitely not Columbus though).
It was a bit odd, because they played it both ways. The schools still celebrated the day and would have us do schoolwork on him praising his founding of "the new world" but definitely by highschool they were adding in the treatment that natives faced. Heck, even in middle school they were talking about how the US would force natives to sign away their rights for next to nothing, and intentionally trading blankets infected with small pox.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY

Trail of Tears

Class of 04 here as well we got all of that except the Christopher Columbus stuff here in NY.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
"The end of history" narrative that pervaded western society during the 90s turned out to be the biggest lie of all.

Magni

That's funny to read about you guys relationship with cursive.

When I was a kid in France, we all started by learning cursive for non capital letters since we're 4. Not print. For capital we still start by print and then we learn cursive when we re about 5 or 6

Print is something you learned by yourself by the time you go to middle or high school because you needed to write faster. A lot of people still write in cursive when they're 13-15

Now I'm all messed up and I write in a combination of both, I'd sometimes write the same letter - like s or r - in the two modes within the same sentence because of how I unintentionally priveleges a form above the other based on following or preceding letters.

Same. I was in the US for elementary/middle school, but I don't remember my class learning cursive. It might just not have made an impact on me since I could already write in cursive by then (I was at the same time also taking all my classes by mail from France, yay going to two schools at once...). And yes at this point my handwriting is the same hybrid mess as yours.

Would this explain why my French teacher (born and raised in France and 70 years old) had such HORRIBLE handwriting which was some unholy mix of cursive and print?

Probably?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
90s action movies told me that American stands for justice, freedom, liberty and is the world arbiter for peace.

If this is not the biggest lie (especially for those outside of USA), i don't know what is.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Diesel cars are better for the environment.

I'd love to see my old school textbook which had a map projecting many countries being underwater by now due to rising sea levels.