• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who went to K-12 in the 90s remembers this:

USDA_Food_Pyramid.gif
I saw that pyramid in my Dutch textbooks as well, never trusted it though. It always seemed like some form of scheme to me.

Nov 9, 2017
Being told that the work force is even harder and more time consuming than high school and even college put together.

Graduated college and am WAY less stressed and calmer. Oh and I have money.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
Marilyn Manson had to be get his stomach pumped at the hospital because he swallowed a quart of semen

why was everyone at my Catholic School so obsessed with Marilyn Manson
When I was at Catholic school in the pre MM days, the semen thing was Marc Almond from Soft Cell, and it was Prince who had his ribs removed.
I wonder who this generations self fellating cum drinkers are?

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
At primary school I was told on a couple of occasions that being left handed was wrong.

In the UK at the time I seemed to catch the last gasp of Christian teaching, meaning it only became secular around half way through primary school (it would be replaced with the more balanced religious studies / R.E.)

It was rubbish, and the expectation to pray in assembly was uncomfortable (it was thankfully chucked out when R.E. came in).

They did at least provide the option for anyone who didn't wish to participate in prayer to leave the room, which I think I did at least once, joining the one Muslim lad in the school.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Looking at the computer screen will ruin your eyes. Now I have to look at screen 10 hours a day and no one bats an eyelid.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
To this day i still write in cursive (i'm 30), i was too lazy to learn an other way and honestly never saw the need to write an other way... It's simple and quick

And i never met anyone who said it was bad outside the internet... Oh sure it's definitely not necessary to learn it, but why people act like it's the worst thing ever? lol

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That hip hop was a fad and wouldn't be musical genre that would have any legacy.

Y2K would cause the world to stop.

Star Wars Episode I would be the movie event of modern cinema.

No one would want to play 2D video games after 3D gaming took over.

A black president of the US will never actually happen, only in Hollywood movies.

Apple (the company) is dead and nothing will ever challenge Microsoft's OS monopoly in any kind of computer.

Last edited:

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
"You'll need cursive when you're a grownup!"

And a lot of bullshit about college, such as:

"You won't get accepted into college without good grades!" My classmates with straight Cs had a fun time in high school, and they still went to college. And graduated.

"You better study hard now, because college only gets harder!" Getting my bachelors was ten times easier than high school.

Along the same lines, whenever papers and essays were assigned in high school: "When you get to college they'll expect you to know how to do this without any help!"

I got to college and the entire first year of mandatory classes was centered around teaching people how to write a basic essay. Granted it wasn't an Ivy League or anything but goddamn that was nonsense. I was able to test out of it but my friends made them sound absolutely remedial.

Dec 2, 2017
This is more early 2000s but in secondary school we were taught we live in a 'post racial' society and that racism ended after American and British civil rights protests in the 1960s.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Guys Y2K was an issue that was mainly mitigated due to knowing the issue would prop up on the year roll over.

It wasn't a hoax, companies and governments spent ~100 billion to fix it before it happened. (150 billion if you factor in inflation)

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What's the deal with Americans hating cursive?

It's like everything, you force kids to write in a style that is outdated and needlessly difficult for like two years of their early childhood education, and then drop it and never touch it again negating the entire point of cramming it down their throats

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
It's like everything, you force kids to write in a style that is outdated and needlessly difficult for like two years of their early childhood education, and then drop it and never touch it again negating the entire point of cramming it down their throats

That thing is so easy and fast to learn. Like stuff you do in the second class and be done with it.

I can't imagine to write more than two sentences in anything than cursive.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That thing is so easy and fast to learn. Like stuff you do in the second class and be done with it.

I can't imagine to write more than two sentences in anything than cursive.

We're talking about 2nd and 3rd grade kids who are taught cursive, when they are still being taught how to write in print.

If they actually kept it going through all of a persons education it wouldn't be difficult, but when you just drop it like a rock why would you expect people to remember it? At that point it just becomes an annoyance considering almost nobody under the age of 65 even writes in cursive anymore.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
That politics were pointless and all sides were the same. In some ways, it was actually better when people believed that because they didn't feel the need to drop their politically charged hot takes every second.

Another one, not exclusively from the 90s, was how all fat should be avoided and how juice was good for you.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The millennium bug wasn't a hoax, it was something that people spent years and years preparing and mitigating for so things wouldn't go to shit.
I worked my ass off patching everything under the sun to prevent a problem just so people 20 years later could claim it was all a hoax. Such a good feeling.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
We're talking about 2nd and 3rd grade kids who are taught cursive, when they are still being taught how to write in print.

If they actually kept it going through all of a persons education it wouldn't be difficult, but when you just drop it like a rock why would you expect people to remember it? At that point it just becomes an annoyance considering almost nobody under the age of 65 even writes in cursive anymore.

I'm completely missing the point why writing and learning cursive is such a miserable experience for some people here.

We have learned the print letters in first grade, and started cursive in thr second grade. I don't remember for anyone being especially hard.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I worked my ass off patching everything under the sun to prevent a problem just so people 20 years later could claim it was all a hoax. Such a good feeling.
Even better, it's now used as an example of overblown fearmongering to dismiss warnings about everything from climate change to Brexit.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
Guys Y2K was an issue that was mainly mitigated due to knowing the issue would prop up on the year roll over.

It wasn't a hoax, companies and governments spent ~100 billion to fix it before it happened. (150 billion if you factor in inflation)
I imagine most people are thinking of the crazies like Alex Jones and co. who said Y2K would cause countries to collapse and martial law would be enacted, SO BUY MY Y2K SURVIVAL KIT!

I can't really say though, I was like 5 at the time.

Oct 30, 2017
American History

Did anyone else say that?
That's what I was looking for, because so much of it is either wrong or put in the wrong context. It also leaves out so much that's incredibly important, because it doesn't reflect well on America.

For instance, why is Helen Keller important? Lots of people are deaf and blind that go on to communicate, so what is it about Helen Keller that she gets her own movie? It's because she became a leader in feminist and labor movements later in life. Schools just talk about "wa...wa...water" though, not "The majority of mankind is ground down by industrial oppression in order that the small remnant may live in ease."

Or you know all of those times the US military opened fire on labor strikers and their families.

Weird that they gloss over so much of the 1900s labor movements in school.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I imagine most people are thinking of the crazies like Alex Jones and co. who said Y2K would cause countries to collapse and martial law would be enacted, SO BUY MY Y2K SURVIVAL KIT!

I can't really say though, I was like 5 at the time.

Countries wouldn't collapse per-say

But the ramifications of the majority of computer systems around the world becoming unusable or throwing unknown errors and behaviors, all within a single day, would have been rather catastrophic.

Banking, transportation, energy, military... just imagine a day where all of that suddenly doesn't really work anymore.

That's what Y2K could have been.

Miles Iz Ded

Oct 28, 2017
That you should drink 8 glasses of water a day. This still pervades to this day, my colleagues at work insist on drinking about 3 litres a day and won't be persuaded otherwise

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Capitalism is good, Communism is bad.

Not really a lie considering communism literally died out in 1989-1990

That you should drink 8 glasses of water a day. This still pervades to this day, my colleagues at work insist on drinking about 3 litres a day and won't be persuaded otherwise

If people didn't drink soda and other shit throughout the day, eight glasses of water wouldn't even be considered that much.

Oct 26, 2017

I use a scrawly mix of it and standard today. I suppose the advent of computers negated the need to be able to write quickly.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
I hate the way they taught cursive capital G. I was reading the Declaration of Independence one day and saw that it used to look better, and more G-like. I promptly adopted it.

Shitty G and đť’˘odlike đť’˘, respectively.

cursive-G21.jpg
iu

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Also my 7th grade teacher insisting that we write in cursive for all our assignments because we would need to do that when we were in college/adults. That shit was bullshit, you fucking dumb bitch.

I was a child of 70s/80s but all our teachers insisted our assignments to be handwritten in cursive, we are forbidden to use computers (very few were actually available at that time) or typing machines. However it was clear that their intentions were to be sure we did your homework and not copy it or let someone else do it. Which could be the main reason for all the teachers describe in this thread, "you will need cursive" was just an excuse.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I was in school all throughout the 90's (born in 86) and my schools taught

Trail of Tears
US Japanese internment camps
The cruelty of early settlers including Christopher Columbus
Actually used the term "slavery" instead of "workers brought from Africa" which apparently some text books use today?

Maybe it's just I spent most of my school life in California? It wasn't nearly as sanitized and "AMERICA DOES NO WRONG" as so many others seem to have had.
This is accurate to my high school experience (but that was in the mid-late 2000's).

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
that big push for diversity in the media made it seem like racism was dead.
This one makes me super sad because I grew up thinking we "won" over racism with the Civil Rights Movement. I grew up watching multi-cultural, diverse teams of heroes in Captain Planet, Power Rangers, and X-men all working together in harmony for the greater good, while bigotry and intolerance were obvious, cartoony villains out of time.

... It's SUPER depressing to me to see the people in the highest offices right now, because they're the very people these shows clearly spelled out were the VILLAINS of their respective shows.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
Stranger Danger I think ranks up there with D.A.R.E. as the most misguided bullshit that actually made things worse. It taught you to fear everyone around you, while ignoring that far more likely threat from inside the home. It basically enabled society to blind itself to in-family abuse for decades.