• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Probably not just a 90s thing, and has likely been going on in UK schools since forever, but that the UK "won" WWII.

Now while technically true, it was only when watching The World At War that I discovered the crucial role that Russia played, and that in many ways, the UK was the biggest loser of the war, because we went completely bankrupt and gained very little from it, as opposed to the US and Russia.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I hate the way they taught cursive capital G. I was reading the Declaration of Independence one day and saw that it used to look better, and more G-like. I promptly adopted it.

Shitty G and š¯’¢odlike š¯’¢, respectively.

cursive-G21.jpg
iu

what the fuck is that G on the left? I never learned that, lol

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
Probably not just a 90s thing, and has likely been going on in UK schools since forever, but that the UK "won" WWII.

Now while technically true, it was only when watching The World At War that I discovered the crucial role that Russia played, and that in many ways, the UK was the biggest loser of the war, because we went completely bankrupt and gained very little from it, as opposed to the US and Russia.

well we had to pay back the money other countries "loaned" to us

Jan 4, 2018
They really thought the real world would hit me when I didn't have a calculator on hand but the real world hit them by giving me a calculator that I always have on hand.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
"Everyone is a winner! You get a trophy and you get a trophy and you get a trophy. TROPHIES FOR EVERYONE!!!"

"But our little league team didn't even make the playoffs..."

"KID! I said you're a winner... Take your trophy..."

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
That U.S. presidents would always be held accountable for things such as a blow job from a consenting adult.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
I won the DARE essay contest. 1st place, took a vow I would never do drugs.

Lmao...... Bruh where the trees?! Lmao

Damn I did too, did they let take the stupid lion thing home with you?
That was my reward, I got to take a stuffed animal home. I think I was in the 2nd grade?

Lets just say DARE had the opposite effect on me than they intended...

Oct 30, 2017
"Everyone is a winner! You get a trophy and you get a trophy and you get a trophy. TROPHIES FOR EVERYONE!!!"

I love how millennials get blamed for this when it's the people laying the blame that gave out the trophies.

Fucking boomers.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
This was canada. I think the example they used was an animal stretching its neck to eat leaves from a tree.

Which was the exactly exemple Darwin work was against. The same example/drawing was used in my classes to show the debate in XIX century between Darwin and other theories, and that were wrong and Darwin right. Aren't you sure that it is not what you are remembering? Because orthogenesis was disproved by modern genetics and DNA, so I found it hard to believe a school teaching it as "cannon" in the 80s. It would be easier to teach Creationism.

Oh my God, that's Lamarckism. Your text books were wildly out of date.

Thanks. I was trying to remember the name of the Darwin competing theory, having a blank and did not want to google it.

Yeah, if it was the case that text books must be a 100 years outdated.

Last edited:

Denali

Mar 20, 2018

Yeah I played baseball growing up, and we had award ceremonies after every season. I remember one year we were awful, and one of the kids on the team was just not very athletic and didn't really seem like he wanted to be there at all. His mom was in charge of all that stuff for the team that year, and she got us these MASSIVE trophies. I'm talking like the triple deckers.

Now that I'm older it was kind of sweet of her to do that for her kid, but man.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I had a sociology professor in college like that. Really hammered down hard on it, as though it couldn't ever be important even in context. Like if you wrote "a white cop shot an unarmed black man" you were racist for bringing up the races.

He thought of himself as very progressive. Even at the time, I thought his stance was baffling, and I had very uninformed views back then.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm going to toss out one more I learned in my Wednesday Youth Group.

"If you stop seeing color, racism will go away."

This was after we were asked to describe Tiger Woods, and when someone said black, the pastor/teacher went into "gotcha" mode calling my friend racist.

I didn't have any "gotcha" moments, but this attempt at building a post racial society through children was extremely prevalent in my childhood. It came from good intentions in that the aim was to eliminate prejudice, but looking back on it was fucked up in my predominantly POC inner city school.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Anyone who went to K-12 in the 90s remembers this:

USDA_Food_Pyramid.gif

Well, to make a very long story short, it was all bullshit. For non-US people, know that the meat and dairy industries in the states has a VAST lobbying industry, rivaling and surpassing at times the gun lobby. When the US Gov proposed a food guide, they lobbied hard to make sure they each got their own section, which is the result you see above. Fats and oils are essential for a healthy diet, eating meat and drinking milk 2-3 times a day is not only not necessary, it could actually be bad for your health depending on which kinds you consume. Now the US Gov switched to the "My Plate"
Didn't read the thread so forgive me if the following as already been said

The food pyramid you are presenting isn't wrong. The problem is your take from it. This is also why i prefer the food wheel instead of a pyramid so it is less confusing.
So what are you misunderstanding about the food pyramid:
  • Drink milk 2-3 times /day; meat everyday
    • This isn't how you interpret the categories of the food pyramid. you are supposed to eat 3 portions of different components inside that category. For example you should eat a slice of cheese at breakfast, 1 cup of milk at tea and a yugurt before bed.
    • Meat is the same thing. You are not supposed to eat meat everyday, just 2-3 times per week. For example : monday you could eat fish at lunch, beans at dinner. Thursday could be grilled chicken at lunch and peanuts at dinner.
  • Fats and oils are essential for a healthy diet.
    • First-> the word essential in nutrition means that your body can't produce them. For most fats and oils your body can produced them, the only fats it can't produce are usually found in fish (this means that it isn't in that fat oil sweets category). This means that everything that is essential is needed for healthy diet and if you don't ingest them normally there is some sort of repercussion. This also means that the fats and oils you are thing about are not essential!
    • While fats and oils are needed for a healthy diet there are 2 problems: On one hand most people prefer fats and oils that ara heavily processed (margarine, vegetal oils, cakes,etc) thus are extremely associated with metabolic disease. On the other hand these types of food give a lot of pleasure to eat so revoking the "right" for people to eat them will make people have less compliance with the healthy diet.
  • Understanding what fats oil and sweets means
    • This category is for vegetal oils, cakes as well as dressings like mayo. Not for the "healthy fats" for fish, olive oil and meat liver.
  • Seeing drinking milk every day as bad
    • In this forum (assuming ages between 16-30) are the right group to actually drink milk every day. It is in these ages that we build peak bone concentration that will prevent diseases in life. This is specially important for the ladies. If any lady isn't drinking milk everyday during 13-30 they are missing their biggest chance to evade osteopenia .
In short the food pyramid by itself isn't wrong it is the lack of knowledge that stops people from understanding it. Just like most things in the medical world it is distorted by common knowledge instead of being read like the "scientific document" it is.

Side note that my plate is an aberration and needs to be destroyed from the face of the earth. If i had 15 mins to explain that plate I'd quit my job and go back to a different specialty. No way am i ever deal with that thing.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Which was the exactly exemple Darwin work was against. The same example/drawing was used in my classes to show the debate in XIX century between Darwin and other theories, and that were wrong and Darwin right. Aren't you sure that it is not what you are remembering? Because orthogenesis was disproved by modern genetics and DNA, so I found it hard to believe a school teaching it as "cannon" in the 80s. It would be easier to teach Creationism.
That could be it. Just teaching the competing theories.

Mar 29, 2018
I had a sociology professor in college like that. Really hammered down hard on it, as though it couldn't ever be important even in context. Like if you wrote "a white cop shot an unarmed black man" you were racist for bringing up the races.

He thought of himself as very progressive. Even at the time, I thought his stance was baffling, and I had very uninformed views back then.
It's so dumb. Like, it prevents you from checking your privilege if you're white.

Admittedly, I used to think the same thing when I was a teenager.

When I was a teenager.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis

The food pyramid you are presenting isn't wrong. The problem is your take from it. This is also why i prefer the food wheel instead of a pyramid so it is less confusing.
    • This isn't how you interpret the categories of the food pyramid. you are supposed to eat 3 portions of different components inside that category. For example you should eat a slice of cheese at breakfast, 1 cup of milk at tea and a yugurt before bed.
    • Meat is the same thing. You are not supposed to eat meat everyday, just 2-3 times per week. For example : monday you could eat fish at lunch, beans at dinner. Thursday could be grilled chicken at lunch and peanuts at dinner.
    • First-> the word essential in nutrition means that your body can't produce them. For most fats and oils your body can produced them, the only fats it can't produce are usually found in fish (this means that it isn't in that fat oil sweets category). This means that everything that is essential is needed for healthy diet and if you don't ingest them normally there is some sort of repercussion. This also means that the fats and oils you are thing about are not essential!
    • While fats and oils are needed for a healthy diet there are 2 problems: On one hand most people prefer fats and oils that ara heavily processed (margarine, vegetal oils, cakes,etc) thus are extremely associated with metabolic disease. On the other hand these types of food give a lot of pleasure to eat so revoking the "right" for people to eat them will make people have less compliance with the healthy diet.
    • This category is for vegetal oils, cakes as well as dressings like mayo. Not for the "healthy fats" for fish, olive oil and meat liver.
    • In this forum (assuming ages between 16-30) are the right group to actually drink milk every day. It is in these ages that we build peak bone concentration that will prevent diseases in life. This is specially important for the ladies. If any lady isn't drinking milk everyday during 13-30 they are missing their biggest chance to evade osteopenia .
In short the food pyramid by itself isn't wrong it is the lack of knowledge that stops people from understanding it. Just like most things in the medical world it is distorted by common knowledge instead of being read like the "scientific document" it is.

Side note that my plate is an aberration and needs to be destroyed from the face of the earth. If i had 15 mins to explain that plate I'd quit my job and go back to a different specialty. No way am i ever deal with that thing.

To suggest 6 to 11 daily slices of bread is healthy for the average American is a bit ludicrous.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Top Tip : every single diet fad has later turned out to be harmful or bullshit. Decades of them from the F-Plan to Keto. The only thing that has survived intact is "eat a healthy balanced diet low on sugar and fat and high in protein and nutrients and exercise to stay healthy and fit"

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Marilyn Manson had to be get his stomach pumped at the hospital because he swallowed a quart of semen

why was everyone at my Catholic School so obsessed with Marilyn Manson
Wasn't it also Marilyn Manson in that playground rumor that he removed his lower ribs so he could suck his own dick?

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm completely missing the point why writing and learning cursive is such a miserable experience for some people here.

We have learned the print letters in first grade, and started cursive in thr second grade. I don't remember for anyone being especially hard.
It was particularly annoying because teachers were sticklers about it, and would often say "When you're an adult this is all you'll be able to use.", which is clearly bullshit.

Also for many people (especially myself) their cursive is a lot harder to read than print.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017

The USDA didn't interpret the food pyramid like this, and it wasn't taught like this. The food pyramid was for daily consumption. You can easily look up any presentation from the 90's and find this information. I was also in elementary school when it was popular, and it was a daily consumption guideline.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=2r4cAAAAIBAJ&pg=4658,6907219

And the closer readings of their 90's advice was meat was the maximum recommended amount, and fruits was considered a minimum. Which still results in a really jacked up diet, because who is eating 6+ servings a fruit per day?

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
It's so dumb. Like, it prevents you from checking your privilege if you're white.

Admittedly, I used to think the same thing when I was a teenager.

When I was a teenager.
I agree with you completely about the privilege thing. On top of that, I also think about the quote that Jane Elliott always says:
When you say to a person of color, 'When I see you, I don't see you Black; I just see everybody the same' think about that. You don't have the right to say to a person, 'I do not see you as you are; I want to see you as I would be more comfortable seeing you.'

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
The tongue taste map is a big one for me. Even as little kids, a friend and I suspected it to be BS, because we tried it over and over, and every single time were able to taste anything, no matter where we place it on a tongue.

Mar 29, 2018
I agree with you completely about the privilege thing. On top of that, I also think about the quote that Jane Elliott always says:
Interesting. I do think it comes from a place of sincerity, so I wouldn't necessarily agree with her quote. At least "'I do not see you as you are; I want to see you as I would be more comfortable seeing you".

I'm thinking more like... "'I do not see you as you are; I want to see you as society should [but doesn't] see you"

At least that's where I used to come from when I thought about it this way. The quote is still great and clearly true of how many see it/feel.

(Either way I'm white asf so have no right or place to correct/dictate this lol)

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
"The power is yours!"

Fuck off Captain Planet, it never was. The environment was fucked before I was old enough to have a say in anything, and the overwhelming consumption and greed of nations saw to it that my efforts mean nothing.

Last edited:

mancan

Banned
Mar 29, 2018
Being told that the work force is even harder and more time consuming than high school and even college put together.

Graduated college and am WAY less stressed and calmer. Oh and I have money.

Nah Work life is waayyyyyyyy more stressful that high school or university. Like I feel like I have lived 2 lives. Everything then is just soo tiny in comparison.