• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
To suggest 6 to 11 daily slices of bread is healthy for the average American is a bit ludicrous.
Read my previous post again.
you are suposed to eat as varied as possible inside each category. so those 6 portions should be:
  • Breakfast - 2 portions of bread
  • Lunch - 2 portions of rice
  • Tea- 1 portion of bread
  • Dinner - 2 portions of potato
That should be a healthy diet, obviously if you are someone that does a lot of exercise you can push to the 11 portions. You are not suposed to eat just one part of each category.
Also do note that bread there is actually bread (no added sugar/salt). I am an european but from my understanding a lot of american "breads" have added sugar. Those are added to the sweets category
The USDA didn't interpret the food pyramid like this, and it wasn't taught like this. The food pyramid was for daily consumption. You can easily look up any presentation from the 90's and find this information. I was also in elementary school when it was popular, and it was a daily consumption guideline.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=2r4cAAAAIBAJ&pg=4658,6907219

And the closer readings of their 90's advice was meat was the maximum recommended amount, and fruits was considered a minimum. Which still results in a really jacked up diet, because who is eating 6+ servings a fruit per day?
That is a really weird way to present the pyramid. As a portuguese we were taught 3 versions: food wheel, food pyramid, by categories. As a child food wheel was the easiest to understand.
In Portugal (and I assume most of europe) were taught this about food pyramid/wheel:
  • Eat from each category every day
  • Eat varied inside each category everyday
  • Eat just the portions needed (don't repeat/refill the plate)
I did not know that in the USA you saw it differently.

The problems with the food pyramid are:
  • doesn't consider water
  • Considers grains more healthy then vegetables
  • Don't differentiate between quick absorption carbohydrates and slow absorption of carbohydrates ("white" grains vs whole grains)
  • Doesn't differentiate between fats (olive oil is better then vegetable oil; fats from nuts are healthy then margarine)
  • Doesn't differentiate quality of protein (eggs, red meat provide much better protein then nuts/beans)
That said it is still better to follow (correctly) the food pyramid then eating whatever you feel like (as generally our body prefers high sugar, high salt and high calorie density foods)

Also the 6 portions of fruit isn't bad. It is from assuming you eat 1 piece of fruit at every meal. Most people do 5 meals every day. Also do note that 1 portion of fruit is, if my memory doesn't fail me, 80g of fruit. Most fruits sold in hyper/supermarkets are very big and probably count for 2-3 portions. In your local markets you should find smaller fruits that would probably be similar to the portion mentioned.

Before anyone asks where i get m,y information (source Direção Geral de Saúde - portuguese NHS)

Oct 31, 2017
Seems like the cyberpunk and apocalyptic media of the 80's is turning out be more truthful than the "society is going to be OK" feelings of the 90's.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
That's a great one. We have one around here named LLC for short. Just about everyone in school called it, "Loser's Last Chance" because it was a community college. Except the people who went there spent half as much on tuition, got a degree, and still have great jobs.

Oh yeah. We even had a deal where if you hit a really basic standard for grades (like a C average) you got an automatic scholarship to the local CC that would easily cover tuition AND books, plus a bit extra for housing.

We all laughed about it and dismissed the scholarship out of hand.

A few years later, I talked to a couple of guys who had delayed college and taken the scholarship after a year. After 2 years, the CC counselors helped them transfer to a 4-year state school, and they got their degrees, an AA cert, and virtually no debt from school.

I'm still incredibly bitter at my high school teachers and counselors about this.

killdatninja

Oct 26, 2017
Not specific to 90's but in American history, referring to native americans as "Indians", I can't believe that racist ass term stayed for centuries. A term used identify people from India... except the people they were calling Indians weren't from India. It only stayed in the history books because I guess people just got used to referring to them as Indians. The truest American's in the right sense of the word... and we knowingly called them Indians for centuries... up until the past couple decades where it feels like there was a turning point.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
My school was poor enough that well past the mid-90s some of our global maps had the USSR on them. I remember being very confused when some maps had this gigantic country on it and others didn't.

Nov 9, 2017
Nah Work life is waayyyyyyyy more stressful that high school or university. Like I feel like I have lived 2 lives. Everything then is just soo tiny in comparison.
I guess it depends person to person and circumstance. In college you're part of a ton of groups (frat,sorority,clubs, associations, etc.) That come with responsibilites, full time student and full time work to pay the bills, studying, projects, social life, scholarship applications/programs, mid terms, finals.
The majority that goes away when you leave and that's just the basic stuff.

There's still graduate school, some people have kids, and the regular adult life stuff like errands, car maintenance, and maintaining yourself (food, health, etc.) is thrown on top of all of that.

Of course, unless you come from a privileged household some of that stuff is not something to worry about.

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
I won the DARE essay contest. 1st place, took a vow I would never do drugs.

Lmao...... Bruh where the trees?! Lmao
Lol. Real talk though, I was legit scared to try marijuana because of the bad press its gotten because it's a "gateway drug". I tried it in college and I survived. It's great and I don't think I'd want to try anything stronger. And it's not addictive either. In fact, it's easier to call quit than coffee or sugar.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watching people unable to count change without the register telling them exactly what to do is pretty pathetic.
A lot of the time that's because those people are working retail and are pretty tired.

This reminds me of those "gotcha" on the spot interviews where they try to prove how dumb Americans are by shoving a mic in their faces and suddenly asking them questions about geography or civil studies.

OP
OP
El Bombastico

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No wonder the adults didn't want us watching it back then

Man, you just reminded me of another big one my parents and a bunch of other parents use to spout.

"THE SIMPSONS IS AN AWFUL SHOW AND YOU SHOULDNT WATCH IT! IT ROTS YOUR BRAIN AND YOU WON'T LEARN ANYTHING!"

I literally learned more from The Simpsons about politics, geography, history, and basic sciences than I did from pretty much all of grade school until maybe high school...

Googleplex

Oct 25, 2017
Tongue taste map.

Tongue.gif
Came to post this! I can't believe I actually believed This bull shit th first half of my life.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That capitalism is sustainable and the bootstraps myth.

That the USA would survive the next century.

The dinosaurs in Jurassic Park are all inaccurate now, but they were actually pretty well researched portrayals for the time.

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
I remember as a kid I had a health teacher who scared the shit out of the class and myself when she said that drugs like cocaine and heroin can kill you if you do it even once. Then later my brother, who was a big fan of the red hot chilli peppers, would tell me about all the heroin and drugs they took, and I kept thinking shouldn't they all be dead even by the first use?

Later grow up knowing that's all bs and the teacher was a smoker herself even though she preached to us never to do it.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That capitalism is sustainable and the bootstraps myth.

That the USA would survive the next century.

The dinosaurs in Jurassic Park are all inaccurate now, but they were actually pretty well researched portrayals for the time.

Are you saying the USA will not survive to see 2100?

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you saying the USA will not survive to see 2100?

Hell no. This country is gonna collapse within our lifetimes. It's a fundamentally broken country on all levels and will never survive the pressures of climate change and automation. That's if the GOP doesn't just straight up destroy healthcare, education and the economy if they stay in power in 2020 and do it much faster. You'll see the territory formerly known as the USA divide into several regional countries eventually after the collapse and global depression it will cause.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Im pretty sure the bottom of the food pyramid was structured that way to benefit the makers of said products.

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
- There is no class in America, everyone is equal

I remember hearing this more than once in the 90s/early 00s, or at least that it was debatable if America had economic classes

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That aids was a randomly occuring thing, like cancer. So, there was no such thing as safe sex. Two totally clean virgins could fuck for the first time, and if they have shit luck, aids.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
I knew this was bullshit pretty early on as i went home and tested it myself. Same coverage on the tongue, not even localized one iota.
I don't know how long I bought this, but I'm certain I thought it was true for as long as I did because of positive bias, i.e., put sugar on the tip of my tongue and thought, "Wow. I really can taste sweet flavors on this spot."

Edit: Also because authority figures told me it was true.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Marilyn Manson thing had to come from something popular, because it was way too widespread a rumor. Maybe it was an early Stern thing?

Two spaces after every period. Now I'm being called a dinosaur when I do this out of habit.

That, and to not use the Oxford comma. (Actually, got super-conflicting messages about that.)

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I mentioned this in another thread recently:

Everyone I know was taught that the three primary colors are red, yellow, and blue. But there's not true at all.

The primary colors are actually cyan, magenta, and yellow when drawing on paper (i.e. subtractive color). When making pictures with light (i.e. additive color), the primary colors are instead red, green, and blue.