• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Sword and Shield have paid Pokemon DLC?

• Yes

Votes: 474 31.0%
  • No

Votes: 1,055 69.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Majadamus

Jun 3, 2019
Connecticut
Nintendo may have or may not have spoken on this, but they can lie. It's the way of the future for Pokemon. Nintendo may be holding out on completing the national Pokedex up front so they can milk Pokefanatics for as much as they can. Maybe they'll charge like 50 cents to a dollar for single Pokemons, and then they'll of course have bundles for like 100 Pokemon for $20. If Nintendo hasn't thought of this, I hope I'm not giving them any ideas.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Honestly I'd pay 20 bucks is a heartbeat for a complete Dex and I won't feel ripped at all.

Still, it's not happening. Too much effort required.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Pokemon is the only game series that gets away with selling two versions of the game so I don't know, maybe?

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I mean if it requires that much extra work and if it will appease people I say yes and have no issues

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
GameFreak has always been extremely against DLC since they want everyone to have the same experience, so there is no chance of this happening.

They will make another game reusing the same assets with additional Pokemon, patch the old Pokemon to sword and shield so you can trade and battle between them but make the Pokemon inaccessible otherwise without buying a new game or interacting with people who bought a new game.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Given the team size and the strict schedule Pokémon games are on, dlc doesn't seem in the cards.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They'll do worse, and sell you $60 expansions of Sword and Shield next year.

Phillips455

Oct 31, 2017
Scotland
No, simply because I dont believe Game Freak will even be able to make proper DLC for a game. They would rather make an enhanced version for everyone else to buy later on.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, but I do expect them to pull a dick move and release Pokémon Giga Sword / Giga Shield next year with the ability to transfer in the entire Pokédex.

Ashflow

Feb 13, 2018
US
GF makes a lot of stupid decisions but pokemon pack DLC will not be one of them. They just don't do standard DLC period.

Dec 2, 2017
Gamefreak did this and never followed through on it

xjlmv0erxx8o6rpyzjpw.png

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Doubt it, they aren't holding back Pokémon because they choose to. Perhaps they'll manage to implement them all by a third version but DLC would be a bad move

Deleted member 14313

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. They won't even have the time (never mind the inclination) as it has to be an annual or near annual franchise for some reason.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Just because the fans are bitching about it doesn't mean it should be added free

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Game Freak doesn't want more than 400 Pokémon in a game ever again. It's a philosophy thing, not a scheme for nickel 'n' diming.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe. I think they might ditch the 3rd version in favour of DLC that maybe includes some new areas with additional new and returning Pokémon for a price. Ideally though, those additional returning creatures would/should be free to transfer from HOME with a simultaneous free update.

I would be more than OK with this.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I'm still annoyed that Mew in Pokémon Let's Go is locked behind a $60 accessory..

But as for this? Nah, probably not.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Would that really be more of a dick move than releasing another version of the games a year later at full price retail with an expanded Dex?

Having the additions and improvements in that inevitable Ultra Sword/Shield or whatever as DLC along with a retail release would actually be an improvement for the series.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
We should learn to differentiate between Nintendo, Game Freak and Pokémon Company. Most of the decisions behind the management of the Pokémon franchise came from Pokémon Co., Nintendo barely has a direct influence in that regard.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I would say there's literally a 0% chance of this happening. GameFreak, Nintendo, and TPC will not splinter the userbase made up primarily of school age children playing and trading with their friends like that.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
GameFreak's answer to DLC has always been their pre-planned director's cut 3rd releases, and arguably the remakes. Why sell DLC and story expansions when they can sell standalone releases at full price?

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think Game Freak are technically capable of updating a game like that.

If they do bring back full compatibility it will be with a future game not an update to an old one.

Jan 11, 2018
Nintendo may have or may not have spoken on this, but they can lie. It's the way of the future for Pokemon. Nintendo may be holding out on completing the national Pokedex up front so they can milk Pokefanatics for as much as they can. Maybe they'll charge like 50 cents to a dollar for single Pokemons, and then they'll of course have bundles for like 100 Pokemon for $20. If Nintendo hasn't thought of this, I hope I'm not giving them any ideas.
No, they'll pull their ususal dick move and sell you Uktra Sword and Ultra Shield next year with the other half of the dex

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe. I think they might ditch the 3rd version in favour of DLC that maybe includes some new areas with additional new and returning Pokémon for a price. Ideally though, those additional returning creatures would/should be free to transfer from HOME with a simultaneous free update.

I would be more than OK with this.

Why would they ditch third versions for DLC when GF makes more money by selling you it for $60.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It defeats the point of why they weren't included in the first place. The amount of work required isn't worth it when they have games to put out next year presumably.

Sahasrahla

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kakariko
Nope, reasons have been already stated.

Do long term fans think GameFreak might make special events to appease the fans, like "only from date x to date y you can catch Bulbasaur in SwSh!" or something like that?

Oct 26, 2017
Nope, reasons have been already stated.

Do long term fans think GameFreak might make special events to appease the fans, like "only from date x to date y you can catch Bulbasaur in SwSh!" or something like that?

For that to be the case the Pokemon would probably already be in the game's data.
There has been no data mine yet so at this point we can't really say.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I do not think Nintendo will do anything for these games except publish them.

Status
Not open for further replies.