• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Sword and Shield have paid Pokemon DLC?

• Yes

Votes: 474 31.0%
  • No

Votes: 1,055 69.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If doing a lot of extra unbudgetted work and then charging it is a dick move... I don't know what to say.

But also they won't do it, mainline Pokémon games just don't get DLC.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
That wouldn't be the worst if they did, I'd just be glad I could complete the dex even if it was costing significantly more.

What I'd fear is a higher price per pokemon and a trickle release that never completes the dex, I think that'd be the end of my interest in the series if it happened.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
No

But I could see specific events for Pokémon not featured currently on the game via Raid Battles

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Game Freak doesn't do DLC or post-launch updates, so no.

I would pay a reasonable amount (~$20) for DLC that included the other Pokemon and additional story content/new areas though.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
No way they'll do DLC, they have a game to release next year also.

Anything even remotely considered for DLC just gets chucked into next years game and sold again for full price.

Just imagine the 'hype' they'll do, coming 2020! You wanted it, you GOT IT! Your fav Pokemon is BACK! Everyone is here! etc etc. They'll turn the missing Pokemon thing into a reason to buy the next game.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
People really acting like this is some kind of on- disc DLC that is already avaible bit they chose not to release because they wanna be dicks a out it.

The content isn't there and won't be added for this game.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
We're talking about Game Freak not Nintendo.

So a big NO.

Because they are cutting the dex because they don't have enough time (or manpower) and they have a deadline to meet. When they finish releasing S&S they have to start thinking in the new Pokémon game.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
People really acting like this is some kind of on- disc DLC that is already avaible bit they chose not to release because they wanna be dicks a out it.

The content isn't there and won't be added for this game.
I mean we won't know until they're datamined, but the data for every Pokemon existed in Let's Go's code minus their models. I'd be more surprised if the data for them wasn't there honestly. Obviously adding the models/animations back in is the hardest part though.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Just imagine the 'hype' they'll do, coming 2020! You wanted it, you GOT IT! Your fav Pokemon is BACK! Everyone is here! etc etc. They'll turn the missing Pokemon thing into a reason to buy the next game.
Why make everyone come back in the next game when bringing back old pokemon can be used as a selling point over the span of the next 3-4 games ?

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Nope

I think they really did cut all those Pokémon and that none of them will show up up til the next mainline games.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Now it's "philosophy" and a hard cap at 400? Both of those are news to me. I thought it was either to focus on animations, balancing the meta, problems with the models not transferring over, or a design choice.
Not a hard cap, perhaps, but a general guide.

I never bought the other arguments, not least because they discussed doing it for Sun and Moon- Game Freak just don't want their games to have more than that number of Pokémon in them going forwards.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
Not a hard cap, perhaps, but a general guide.

I never bought the other arguments, not least because they discussed doing it for Sun and Moon- Game Freak just don't want their games to have more than that number of Pokémon in them going forwards.
So you expect the Sinnoh remakes to have fewer Pokémon than the original games?

Oct 29, 2017
Your only hope is a 3rd version released in 2021; when they've actually been given enough time to finish Sword/Shield.

Pray that the D/P remake in 2020 is feature complete... considering that they're still recovering from the course correction away from mobiles though? Don't bet on it...

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
I think we all know those are just excuses. Game Freak are not going to come out and say "the development schedule dictated by TPC does not allow us to satisfy the demands of players". Because that's all it is.
Oh I get that it's all excuses, which is why I listed some of the different excuses they have provided so far.

I think TPC is also interested in monetizing Pokémon Home and collecting money from the diehard fans that will transfer their favorites over and have to keep paying the (anticipated) annual fee until a game comes out that supports them.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
No, because the explicit reason they don't want to do it - game balancing - isn't going to get any easier if it's paid DLC.

they don't want to have to determine what move sets need to be available to going on 1,000 Pokémon every single game

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I would pay for that. No problem.

but they will release a new game next years focusing on the missing pokemon. And the game after that will have all the pokemon.

and they will start this over in 5 years.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, I think they will add more Pokémon to Ultra Sword and Ultra Shield, and, maybe, add them to Sword and Shield as free DLC.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This poll indicates to me that 25% of Pokémon fans on this forum are part of the Game Freak hate club.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Home has the national dex, so if it comes with a sub you are already paying for it. Like the 3DS. But no, they won't charge extra for all the Pokemon to be in game and it won't happen ever. Home is truly going to be a hub for all your Pokemon with each game being its own contained ecosystem. And there is worse DLC they can come up with, just not in SwSh.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I think they will just move on to the next game

Having an updated and patched pokemon game would be a first for the series though right?

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
Multiple extra years of accumulated work hours performed to get people their biggest demand post launch?

A dick move.

No. They will slowly increase the size as they make more games. I bet the next game has everything.
My assumption. Sort of like Monster Hunter's shift into the World line.

Pimienta

Oct 25, 2017
No. The amount of work to include all the Pokémons is too arduous for dlc. You can expect them in the next game (Super SW or Sinnoh remakes).

SoftTaur

Oct 25, 2017
1) They already said they're not doing this
2) The reason the whole dex isnt there is that its become an unreasonable amount of work

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. The NEXT game (Sinnoh remakes or the next gen) should have all Pokémon, but I'm not sure if they'll do it or not.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
No chance they would risk a or disaster like this. At most you will see some Pokemon gifts that end up being Pokémon, but we won't see large scale Pokémon drops chargeable or otherwise.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
At this point it wouldn't be a dick move.

It's what everyone is asking for. To have the full dex in any capacity.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I said 'no'

Not because they wouldn't, but because they aren't able to do it now.

Expect an Ultra Sword or Ultra Shield next year or so though.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
I think the best way to do it would be to release monthly batches of 10 new Pokémon in the Wild Area up until the next game releases. They don't have to update the entire missing dex, but slowly make missing Pokémon available in a way that they can keep the game's balance and the workload is not too much. Then the next games could feature a different set of Pokémon, with all of the Gen 8 Switch games making every Pokémon available for Home.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
If they keep the engine exactly as is for the D/P remakes, we might just have a near full Pokédex by then if they aim the dex to be on par with the original game. They can just take the work already done in Sword/Shield and continue from there then.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
If they keep the engine exactly as is for the D/P remakes, we might just have a near full Pokédex by then if they aim the dex to be on par with the original game. They can just take the work already done in Sword/Shield and continue from there then.

Yeah, but they said they don't wanna.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
No, they'll release an updated version of SwSh with QoL updates, slightly more challenge, more postgame, and like 100 extra pokemon for $60 next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.