• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Sword and Shield have paid Pokemon DLC?

• Yes

Votes: 474 31.0%
  • No

Votes: 1,055 69.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
No I think people will be lucky to get some balance patches. They seem to immediately start on a new project after they release a game.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
No, but honestly after the nonstop backlash, I can see GameFreak adding in like an extra 150 Pokemon in the months following launch. Include past starters, cut fan-favorites, maybe one or two legendaries, etc.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
GameFreak are jerks, USUM and third editions have always been overpriced DLC, but nah they wouldn't do this.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
DLC? No. They're gonna charge you 60 bucks in a year or two for another chunk of the Dex and ask you to buy another full game.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
I think it would be part of the new direction GameFreak are heading towards, yes. I think that was their plan at first.
At least in form of updates, they are able to continue working on bringing older Pokémon to make the game better. This is in line with modern game development techniques they are slowly integrating.

I don't know if they will ask for money for it after the PR backlash though.

[need a third option "Free Pokémon DLC" as that's how we call updates nowadays apparently]

No DLC, but maybe an "Ultra/Third" version.
In this scenario they will still have to update the original games to be compatible, since Pokémon data are not self-contained.
While latecomers get the new game with the updated dex included, the owners of the original games could only access the content of the update by mass online trading or by buying the extended version of the game.
I'm not sure they'd be able to spawn all the missing Pokémon in the span of one game though. This seems more like a 3~4 games effort.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Doubt it, they aren't holding back Pokémon because they choose to. Perhaps they'll manage to implement them all by a third version but DLC would be a bad move
wut

Do you want to wait for the data miners to confirm that they are the 3DS models? Just like in Pokémon Let's Go?

I don't believe the dev lied. I believe he misspoke, or was misinterpreted. But the game is fucking out in the wild. They are the same high poly models Gamefreak specifically made to last for a long time.

Why, because I'm telling you the truth?
GF didnt make the models. Creatures Inc. did.

WEGGLES

Oct 30, 2017
T they won't, but it wouldn't be a dick move if they did. They're not just arbitrarily holding back pokemon to spite the fans. It's a ton of work to put them all in the game and balance then etc etc. That work should be paid for.

Game fans need help if they take stuff like this personally...

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They already do paid dlc and its worse and more scummy than other companies do. You'll get your full national dex in next years shiny sword and shiny shield dlc for $60 a piece.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
People still don't get the why they cut pokemons. We will never see all the pokemons in one game again except if it is a huge celebratory ocasion, so there is no way that either as DLC or as a second version they put them all back because that would provide once again the expectation of all Pokemons being in every game which is a shackle they are finally breaking throu. It would be pointless to end their commitment to that toxic expectation just to backtrack which would make it even more mandatory for the future.

It is pretty funny the overlap between people that complained that pokemon games did not evolve enough and people complaining about the game not having all pokemons when the expectation of having all pokemons in the game is what made it harder for gamefreak to evolve more the game the last iterations.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
They already do paid dlc and its worse and more scummy than other companies do. You'll get your full national dex in next years shiny sword and shiny shield dlc for $60 a piece.

New editions of games coming out a year or two later are not DLC by definition and its not being applied to other games doing something similar. This just reads like more of the whole bitch eating crackers phenomenon that's off the rails regarding these games now.

"worse and more scummy than other companies" for something that's been the fucking norm in the industry for decades.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fully expect Pokemon Steal Sword and Iron Shield in 18 months with the cut Pokemon

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It is pretty funny the overlap between people that complained that pokemon games did not evolve enough and people complaining about the game not having all pokemons when the expectation of having all pokemons in the game is what made it harder for gamefreak to evolve more the game the last iterations.
I think the key controversy of Sword and Shield isn't even really the national dex, but rather that nothing seems to have come from excluding it.

Sword and Shield are very much in line with previous games.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
The Pokemon Company is super shitty, obsessed with profits and KPIs at all costs. While I don't think they would, it wouldn't surprise me any bit if they did just as OP describes.

They really need to go, though: they are the cause of every problem this franchise has, from constantly popping out mobile F2P games, to pressure the manga, anime and main series games output continuously. Hell, that Galarian Ponyta reeks of TPC demanding a design to make more toys for girls from Game Freak.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Game Freak doesn't want more than 400 Pokémon in a game ever again. It's a philosophy thing, not a scheme for nickel 'n' diming.
If they want to proceed with this, then better drop all the older Pokemon and just let you find and capture the regional Pokemon.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New editions of games coming out a year or two later are not DLC by definition and its not being applied to other games doing something similar. This just reads like more of the whole bitch eating crackers phenomenon that's off the rails regarding these games now.

"worse and more scummy than other companies" for something that's been the fucking norm in the industry for decades.
People complained when Persona 5 Royal wasn't available as DLC too, it's not people picking on Gamefreak don't worry. If gamefreak release suped up $60 versions including cut features, in this age of GOTY and expanded special editions they'll rightly get called out. They should do what most companies do which is a DLC upgrade pack, as well as a retail release of the new version.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
...I'm not seeing the sudden jump in evolution in Sword and Shield.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game freak is against DLC because they can just release a third version of the same games for full price.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
Sword and Shield are very much in line with previous games.

I really loved the wild area in SuMo and finding my friends going around along with a multitude of pokemons, i loved to fight in raids with my friends or de HD graphics without major dps drops. Seeing pokemon in the overworld also has been one of my fav features since red and blue.

Beyond the obviously new content that they have included but people like to ignore as something non major, it is important to realize that the decisions probably did not come the first days of producing the game but probably mid-late develompent. What is encouragin is that this will be their philosophy going forward so they will probably be able to make use of the limited dex for future generations.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The entire "Gamefreak is against DLC" thing is kinda weird when that's exactly what the various mystery gift events were.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Where is the "evolution" in Sword and Shield lol

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I'd take that over having to wait god knows how many years to wait for Gamefreak to bother to bring back some of my favorites.

Oct 25, 2017
People really need to have a sense of perspective. What other games have DLC to introduce over 500 new playable characters? Like... what?

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
While that specifically is not going to happen, I think it's time Pokemon starts getting DLC of some kind. Almost every Nintendo game on the Switch has received free or paid content after release.

Maybe Mystery Gifts will actually be content again instead of just "hey, have this legendary Pokemon"

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
If they add DLC, what would probably happen is that you have an area with old Pokémon but people with the patch but not the DLC can trade, battle or transfer them.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
From their current statements I don't think they want every Pokemon in any game. Would go against their new design philosophy. Frankly I don't care whether this policy is reversed with a free update, paid DLC, or by adding onto what they have in future games ad long as it is reversed.

Status
Not open for further replies.