• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Sword and Shield have paid Pokemon DLC?

• Yes

Votes: 474 31.0%
  • No

Votes: 1,055 69.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
If they want to proceed with this, then better drop all the older Pokemon and just let you find and capture the regional Pokemon.

80-100 isn't enough to sustain an interesting, modern game. Arguably, 150 isn't enough either. SMT games have had way, way more satisfying catch/breed mechanics when they've sat in the 200-350 range than when they are sub-100.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't think they will but if they do I definitely don't think it's a dick move. I just wanna play this game. Give it to me. I have no issue with companies charging for additional content after release. I personally don't buy it usually but it's new work and they have to pay to operate so why wouldn't they charge for it?

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New editions of games coming out a year or two later are not DLC by definition and its not being applied to other games doing something similar. This just reads like more of the whole bitch eating crackers phenomenon that's off the rails regarding these games now.

"worse and more scummy than other companies" for something that's been the fucking norm in the industry for decades.
It's DLC no matter what way you want to frame it. "New editions", games that are 95% exactly the same as the previous version with such little differences that it could easily be implemented as a simple $10 story dlc.

Your post reads like the usual defense this company gets whenever people call them out on shady things they always pull off.

"worse and more scummy than other companies" for something that's been the fucking norm in the industry for decades.
So you admit it is scummy. It's the norm because Gamefreak is one of the few that created it and continues to abuse it. How many games released after Red and Blue that took advantage of the two version double dip model that gamefreak popularized? They literally released 4 games within the span of one year that is 95% the same game for $40 a piece ( SM/USUM).

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
It's DLC no matter what way you want to frame it. "New editions", games that are 95% exactly the same as the previous version with such little differences that it could easily be implemented as a simple $10 story dlc.

Your post reads like the usual defense this company gets whenever people call them out on shady things they always pull off.
You do realize DLC stands for Downloadable content right? he said it isn't DLC by definition which is right since it's not downladable content for the game it's a new release, before calling out someone's post please undersand what it actually means first lol.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I'm ok with paid DLC as far as post-game content, it seems a pretty common thing in games these days, and is a vastly superior option to their age-old practice of releasing "third" games. Gating the national dex behind a paywall though would be pretty horrible, although I guess in a sense that's what they may be doing with Pokemon Home more or less...

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
Super Sword and Ultra Shield will have all the missing Pokemon but feature none of the Pokemon from Sword and Shield.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Do people rally against "GOTY editions" of games as much as they do against Pokémon "3rd versions?" I don't really have a problem with either tbh, but I can understand how early adopters could feel a tad slighted.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Do people rally against "GOTY editions" of games as much as they do against Pokémon "3rd versions?" I don't really see a problem with either tbh, but I can understand how early adopters could feel a tad slighted.
The "goty edition" content is usually purchasable as dlc for the base version of the game, not requiring you to buy an entire full priced game, unlike pokemon.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
No but attitudes and management can change, decisions can be reversed. With the huge backlash and the rumours of low morale, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see an effort to include all Pokemon in a future game.

Gamefreak is also getting a lot of flak that may be better aimed at their publisher, like what would happen if it was an EA game. It wouldn't surprised if PMC is pushing for yearly games and short generations for example.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
People seem awfully optimistic that they're going to reverse this decision relatively soon.

I think unless sales take a massive hit (and they probably won't), this is how things will be.

Nov 15, 2018
The sad part is, the only way for me to buy Sword and Shield is if they patch/add dlc for content that should have been there from the start. Like the exp.share toggle and Battle Frontier. If this was paid dlc, I would be paying an additional 20 for the game, 20 for online, probably 5-10 for home, and then the dlc price, making the game cost 3x or more than what I used to spend on a pokemon game when they were just $40. And on hardware that was double the price of past handhelds.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
User Banned (3 days): Trolling
Nintendo should pull their dick out and remove even more pokemons to piss off the people making a tantrum for something so inconsequential.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why bother adding the Pokémon in when you could also just... not add them at all and people will grumble and buy the game anyway :taps temple:

If anything, they could do it in true GF fashion and just finish/adjust the dex in a future Switch installment.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
If they were going to do it at all, it would either be in the initial release, or they'd have announced it by now.

Ain't happening. Maybe next installment.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Aside from the fact that they've already gone on record saying that this exact scenario isn't happening (yeah I guess they could just flat-out lie about it but given all the heat they've taken for the decision you'd think if there was any internal planning that could lead to the full dex being in they'd have mentioned as much to quell the mob), it would defeat what I believe is part of the purpose of going through with the cuts in the first place.

Yes there's their talk of the work needed to put in all the models and animations, there's the efforts to update stats and movelists and hopefully some attempts to balance the games slightly better around a smaller roster, but I also view this as a long-term plan that will ease development of generational leaps in future games as well as a marketing strategy. Now every future generation comes along with inbuilt "look who's back!" that can drum up support and introducing scarcity to pokemon can be leveraged as a way to tempt people away from skipping a generation, since you can't necessarily be sure when that particular favorite of yours might come around again (unless your favorite is Pikachu I guess). Keeping the dex rotating gives them some advantages that the full dex doesn't, and if you ever brought the full dex back in a game, they'd never be able to get away with cutting it back again after this attempt "fails." This is just how pokemon is gonna be now.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Haha god no. Not even Gamefreak would waste their time with this. They got a schedule to keep. Once a game is done, they move onto the next. If you want your favorites, hope they make the cut next game and debate about who got cut in the next installment.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I'd call it a dick move based on the work required. And quite frankly, if it was wrapped up with maybe something fun added in the post game I'd plunk down for it in a heartbeat...I probably would if it was just a national dex by itself. I like my living Pokedex and I like bringing it with me.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamefreak did this and never followed through on it

xjlmv0erxx8o6rpyzjpw.png
My heart!

Sep 14, 2018
No, Pokemon is a mostly yearly series now. They get the games out and then move on, other than the giveaways where you have to go to GameStop or Target or somewhere else to get a code. The next games are very likely to be gen 4 remakes, which is part of the reason why gen 4 got the fewest amount of Pokemon in Sword and Shield. They're not going to undo that by releasing DLC.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Well, they are the publisher. The publisherS are the ones that force developers to make business decisions like this. Developers passion is to make the video game, publishers are there to get money back from investing in the game.

Game Freak makes the game with Nintendo's money? Where is your source on this?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Is it thread-whining to say I'm looking forward to when the game is out and these bizarrely hostile, hand-wringing SwSh threads stop?

Deleted member 51306

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
I don't think they will. And there would be some backlash if they would, but if I was them I would. It's no different than if Street Fighter 6 leaves out an original cast member then brings them back as dlc later

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
We should learn to differentiate between Nintendo, Game Freak and Pokémon Company. Most of the decisions behind the management of the Pokémon franchise came from Pokémon Co., Nintendo barely has a direct influence in that regard.
Pokemon is not Nintendo
Good old blame Nintendoism. You're not entitled to a full Pokédex, PKC and the actual developers Game Freak are the ones who make these decisions. They would need to literally spend months longer creating models and logic and weaving these into the story - at what cost? They don't owe you shit, and if they could have added them they would have. It's posts like this that bring down the mood and reputation of the fandom.

Those Pokemon still exist they're just not in this particular game. Do you want every Pokemon ever made to be retroactively added to older games too?

https://www.polygon.com/interviews/...res-and-leek-size-of-pokemon-sword-and-shield

XnjCPyM.jpg

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2019-...hield-junichi-masuda-shigeru-ohmori-interview

3hm60gv.jpg

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/events/101029/05.html

dMbQ9AZ.jpg

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/en/outline/index.html

ynVBEil.jpg

Last edited:

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I guess not.

NO NATIONAL DEX IN THE FUTURE
The missing National Dex is of course also discussed, of which we mainly want to know whether it will return in the future. Will there be an update or a third game? According to Masuda, Game Freak wants to continue the approach for Sword and Shield:

"We now have no plans to make the pokémon that are missing in the Galar pokédex in-game available. That is an approach that we want to continue in the future with Pokémon games. Of course, up to now it has not been possible to encounter every pokémon in every game, so people had to transfer it from old games via Pokémon Bank to the new game, for example."

On the one hand, that is understandable, because Masuda previously indicated that Game Freak does not have the manpower to animate all pokémon if it also wants to introduce new game play features. On the other hand, Pokémon is pretty much the largest franchise in the world and it is not unreasonable to expect a complete Pokédex from the new parts. As a compromise, however, Junichi Masuda claims that the Pokémon Home app, which will be released in 2020, will be the place to collect pokémon from all games.

"Currently the Pokémon Home app is under development, where players can collect their different pokémon, and only pokémon in the Galar-Pokédex can be transferred from there to Sword and Shield," he says. "But the way of playing is actually not very different from before with Pokémon Bank: until now you have always been able to meet only the pokémon of a certain region."

He continues: "We encourage people to use Pokémon Home to collect their pokémon from old games there. From there, they might be able to take it to other games in the future. So take good care of your old pokémon, because you might be able to go out with them again in the future. "

Plans change, but...

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
If they add them back in, it won't be paid. I'm sure they notice how adding gens to GO rejuvenates the game every time. It'd pay for itself.

IF they add them back in.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they do that when they can sell you Ultra Sword and Ultra Shield for full price in a year?

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You aren't entitled to all the characters forever for free. If they put in the work it's not a dick move to charge for it. Is it a dick move to charge for cosmetics in other games? Those are a lot less work, but it seems to be ok to most people.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Haha god no. Not even Gamefreak would waste their time with this. They got a schedule to keep. Once a game is done, they move onto the next. If you want your favorites, hope they make the cut next game and debate about who got cut in the next installment.

Why would they do that when they can sell you Ultra Sword and Ultra Shield for full price in a year?

This. They won't change. They'll just keep on doing what they do. More money to be made doing it the Gamefreak way anyway.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
"Currently, the Pokémon Home app is under development, where players can collect their different pokémon"
Just got an idea: Why not implement online trading directly into Pokémon Home instead then? Since it will become the "home base" of Pokémon in the future.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
You aren't entitled to all the characters forever for free. If they put in the work it's not a dick move to charge for it. Is it a dick move to charge for cosmetics in other games? Those are a lot less work, but it seems to be ok to most people.
For free? Uh, Sword and Shield costs $60 ($20 more than the previous Pokemon games), so I would think that given the higher price point, the game at the very least shouldn't have less content in it than previous games.

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
No chance. It'll be blasphemy... The only comparison I can draw is if Blizzard had the audacity to have cosmetic micro transactions in a Diablo game. It's just not going to happen!

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For free? Uh, Sword and Shield costs $60 ($20 more than the previous Pokemon games), so I would think that given the higher price point, the game at the very least shouldn't have less content in it than previous games.
It has different content. Not necessarily less. We haven't played it yet as far as I know. Less pokemans doesn't necessarily mean less content.

Status
Not open for further replies.