• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Sword and Shield have paid Pokemon DLC?

• Yes

Votes: 474 31.0%
  • No

Votes: 1,055 69.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not going to happen that way. They'd rather sell you annual Pokémon entries instead, where seeing your favorite Pokémon reappear after several years of absence becomes a feature instead of an annoyance

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
It has different content. Not necessarily less. We haven't played it yet as far as I know. Less pokemans doesn't necessarily mean less content.
From the leaks, the main game seems to be fairly short (10 routes+Wild Area), and the postgame is severely lacking (apparently, it comprises of a 1-2 hour post-game episode, as well as Gym Leader rematches which may or may not be included in said 1-2 hour episode) to the point that the best-case scenario would have it be on the level of X/Y's postgame.
Unless there is something huge that the leakers haven't found after a week of playing it, Sword and Shield will probably have less content then even the 3DS titles.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From the leaks, the main game seems to be fairly short (10 routes+Wild Area), and the postgame is severely lacking (apparently, it comprises of a 1-2 hour post-game episode, as well as Gym Leader rematches which may or may not be included in said 1-2 hour episode) to the point that the best-case scenario would have it be on the level of X/Y's postgame.
Unless there is something huge that the leakers haven't found after a week of playing it, Sword and Shield will probably have less content then even the 3DS titles.

More dynomax though lol so that makes more content? I mean, I don't know. Don't really follow it but it's their first mainline HD game it's not really the same as creating a ds game every year. If the game is good then it's good, amount of content isn't really important imo. I'd rather a good game with less content than a bad game with tons of it... so wait for reviews.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
I thought it was either to focus on animations, balancing the meta, problems with the models not transferring over, or a design choice.
LMAO, this tickled me :)

And no, what it seems like they're gonna do is this ...

"HEY, you want your Pokemon from old games? Take part in our ominous sounding service ... POKEMON HOME! We keep telling you it's gonna be there and link up to our micro transaction mobile shit and it's gonna be a different way to interact with your Pokemon! Is it just gonna be Pokemon Camp (Curry and old Amie animations and ALL) but with all Pokemon? Is it gonna be a monthly or yearly service you gotta pay for? IDK, but put all your Pokemon in this fucking jail and take care of them (Pay me) and maybe just maybe some day you will be able to bring over your Lopunny ... and your Haxorus can take it's place in home cause we're never making another game where you can dump em all"

I really just want them to come out and say wtf Pokemon Home is and how it's gonna be monetized. If it is what I think all signs point to it being then maybe some people sucking GF's butt will see what I'm seeing.

Maybe. :/

Last edited:

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
They will, just not in the way you're thinking - Ultra Sword and Ultra Shield: out next November. Play the same game but with more pokemon! £49.99

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
No. They're too stubborn to go back on this.

I don't think theyre wrong (maintaining the pokedex to infinity was an impossible dream), but even if they doubt themselves they won't go back on it.

However in the next gen they may include whatever pokemon top the list that people complain about being omitted.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
They won't do it until Gen 9 arrives and they cheer that every Pokémon is back

But if they do it I'd buy SwSh in a heartbeat because I'm a certified sucker

Deleted member 15457

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game Freak

Post launch support

nope

edit: I am still mad at:
Gamefreak did this and never followed through on it

xjlmv0erxx8o6rpyzjpw.png

llLeonhart

Oct 21, 2019
I think they'll slowly bring them back with future entries, then they come out as the good guys because the next pokemon brings back some of the classics, and then again and again.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
DLC would be a blessing. They've been having you pay full price for game re-releases so that you can have the same amount of content and features as a GBA title(Emerald) for over a decade.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
No. They already said Pokemon were cut due to the work load. Adding back the work they were trying to cut down on defeats the purpose of the cut Pokemon in the first place.

Jan 10, 2018
OP, you are just taking the piss, aren't you?

Here is my asspull, please discuss is a weird way to start a discussion. Also Pokemon Company is calling the shots, which is just in parts Nintendo.

Last edited:

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I dunno. They charged me $50 for a shitty controller and a Mew. So I could see it happening. They'll probably just make Pokémon Gun and sell it as a $60 brand new game tho.

Deleted member 38050

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
lmao why would they do that when they could just make a third version of the game and charge you full price all over again?

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
If they really held back all of the mons due to stuff like pokemon amie or w/e the latest pet your mon thing is because they don't have animations for everyone (that's what the excuse is I've heard from my friend) and they're just using the 3DS models anyway why not just put them all in but not everyone can have petting since there's no animations yet and make that the dlc.

Otherwise what would be missing? Don't they all have their attack animations for the ported models in previous gens?

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO DLC.

What they'll actually do is release Ultra Sword/Shield with the full dex and that's how they'll do the third version re-releases from now on.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Do some people really think they, as "real" Pokemon fans, have the right to have all Pokemon in the game and because Gamefreak put "only" 400+ in the game they are evil and liers and lazy and the worst company ever?

Do some people even think about their attitude? This is so bizarre, funny and hilarious I can not resist reading every Pokemon thread here, and I don't even like the games very much.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Well, physical DLC already exist with the pokeball Mew thing, and Gigantamax Eevee and Pikacha are being locked behind the Let's Go games.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there is a reality in which Smash Ultimate and BotW DLC did the numbers they did, and this company not cave to post-release expansions. Best argument I see against it is third version but they haven't done one of those since Platinum. The more I think about it the more I predict no third version, and instead a straight up expansion pack to the game.

Agreed. Absolutely it was money in the end. There should not have been any compromises to content, period. There's no way it was a director suggestion, it was a product management decision based on limited resources, which can only have been set by TPC, certainly the market didn't ask for a smaller roster of Pokemon. This isn't a mobile game with a minimum viable product, there should not have been any compromises on what to put into the final product unless they planned on doing DLC from the start, justifying leaving some things out (like managing a mobile release), or are blatantly fine with giving consumers as little as possible for as big a short term ROI as possible, which would be incredibly greedy and shortsighted, and I don't believe.

Idk , so much to unpack , it's honestly a bit worrying.
Called it. In one gen I predicted multiple Pokemon Directs and the dawn of DLC. Call muh patterns. Tell them to suck it. I am in sync with the Pokemon universe.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this is still not true as Pokemon are still tradable into the base game without the DLC.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I voted no, because Masuda promised to never do DLC.
Time for me to eat crows I guess.
No is the correct answer though... this isn't all pokemon, it's not the national dex, and you don't even need to buy the dlc to have the added mons in your game.

Edit: just noticed the poll asks a different question than the thread title (wtf who does that?)?

Status
Not open for further replies.