• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
The hobbyist emulator(dolphin) seems to run Wii pretty well on the Shield so I'd imagine the multi billion dollar creator of the platform could knock it out of the park when it comes to emulation. The joy cons are also advanced enough to emulate the Wii mote plus even. And why not 3DS as well? Just port the games that don't rely on the the stylus over.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Would they also release a special cradle for the joycons so you can play in handheld mode with the screen rotated 90° for optimum dual screen screen estate?

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
My guess is no. As close as the Joy-Con's motion control can get, the Wii Remote's pointing functionality can't be 100% accurately replicated. As for 3DS, each game would require a lot of work to be playable on one screen to a Nintendo-level of design/quality that it's more likely those games would just get remade from the ground up.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point is there any chance for NES and SNES to be virtual console platforms?

EDIT: But assuming that the Virtual Console does end up existing, I don't think there's any chance 3DS will be on there. Any 3DS games that end up on Switch - which frankly I'm not sure will actually happen - will be a la carte remasters.

Spritchard

Oct 29, 2017
With the joycon I'm sure you could pull off Wii vc. The button configuration may be an issue, would a single joycon be able to function like a Wii remote? Trying to envision it in my head, you could certainly pull it off with both joycons though. I would like to think it's only a matter of time.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played the Wii so I should probably defer to those players for that, but the 3DS's dual screen seems like it'd mess up any decent presentation as much as the stylus so I can't see it happening there. . .

. . .And the only 3DS game I'd actually want brought over used the stylus super heavily anyway.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Wii depends on if the CPU can handle it. Might be pushing things a bit, but who knows.

3DS is interesting because the Switch CPU should be binary compatible with the 3DS one (and even if it wasn't the 3DS CPU (at least for the Old 3DS) is sloooooow). Graphics would be substantially more challenging, though, since the 3DS GPU is decidedly exotic. It definitely seems plausible, but I think that if it happens on Switch, it will be more likely presented as BC than VC.

OP
OP
Chief Malik
Wii depends on if the CPU can handle it. Might be pushing things a bit, but who knows.

3DS is interesting because the Switch CPU should be binary compatible with the 3DS one (and even if it wasn't the 3DS CPU (at least for the Old 3DS) is sloooooow). Graphics would be substantially more challenging, though, since the 3DS GPU is decidedly exotic. It definitely seems plausible, but I think that if it happens on Switch, it will be more likely presented as BC than VC.
Wait no, wouldn't they want you to buy it again or at least pay to update?

Dunban

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't DF or some similar outfit determine that GC emulation was pushing the upper limits of the Tegra X1? Though I suppose the Wii is only two Gamecubes strapped together, after all.

As others have said, input is an issue. Even if Nintendo could work around those, the solutions would surely be somewhat janky... would that not be contrary to Nintendo's entire design philosophy?

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Wait no, wouldn't they want you to buy it again or at least pay to update?
Nintendo has never required that before. They actually have a pretty good history regarding bringing digital purchases forward.

The charge you're thinking of was for upgrading Wii VC purchases into Wii U VC purchases. You could still transfer and play the Wii VC games at no additional cost.

OP
OP
Chief Malik
Didn't DF or some similar outfit determine that GC emulation was pushing the upper limits of the Tegra X1? Though I suppose the Wii is only two Gamecubes strapped together, after all.

As others have said, input is an issue. Even if Nintendo could work around those, the solutions would surely be somewhat janky... would that not be contrary to Nintendo's entire design philosophy?
Hobbyist emulators never compare to official ones for obvious reasons.

OP
OP
Chief Malik
Nintendo has never required that before. They actually have a pretty good history regarding bringing digital purchases forward.

The charge you're thinking of was for upgrading Wii VC purchases into Wii U VC purchases. You could still transfer and play the Wii VC games at no additional cost.
Well yeah but isn't it free because the Wii U literally transformed into a Wii?

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
If they do Gamecube VC, they have to do complementary GC joycons with button placements and analog triggers.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's been on every platform that can run it for the past 11 years.Nintendo also supposed to be giving out retro games every month when their online subscription launches.
The free games are part of Nintendo's Online subscription, and are referred to as the "Classic Game Selection". As far as we know, there's nothing to suggest this will offer anything other than NES games, or that there will actually be a way to purchase them outside of the subscription, ala Virtual Console. It is true that VC has been a standard feature of recent Nintendo systems... but that was before the release of NES and SNES Classic. These systems have been a huge success for Nintendo, and they have referred to them as "a form of Virtual Console" , meaning Nintendo could very well see them as a VC replacement, especially since they now plan to make both available (with N64 and Game Boy Classic heavily rumored) throughout 2018.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah but isn't it free because the Wii U literally transformed into a Wii?
The point is that all Wii purchases were transferrable to Wii U for free. How they were played is immaterial. DSi to 3DS was the same.

If Nintendo adds 3DS compatibility to the Switch, I suspect it will be similar. One could even argue they might even use a similar approach with Wii, though that one is less certain.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we will se 3DS Virtual Console this gen, at the very least because the 3DS itself is still alive.

As for Wii, we may see it for games that don't depend heavily on pointer controls. Motion is compatible with the joycons, but I don't know if it can reach the level of precision it needs for games like Trauma Center.

OP
OP
Chief Malik
I don't think we will se 3DS Virtual Console this gen, at the very least because the 3DS itself is still alive.

As for Wii, we may see it for games that don't depend heavily on pointer controls. Motion is compatible with the joycons, but I don't know if it can reach the level of precision it needs for games like Trauma Center.
World of goo is on switch, I wonder how good it is.