• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
My wife and I have always wanted to travel the world so we are thinking of selling our house and spending a year doing just that.

We have three kids and they are already on-board with the plan as long as we visit Japan and Italy in our travels. We homeschool so taking the kids out of school isn't an issue. They will still be able to do their schooling while we travel (most of it is online) and spending time immersed in different countries and cultures will only enhance their education. As for income, I'm a web developer so my plan is to find a job that will let me work remotely and work on the road. We're also thinking of starting a blog and/or vlog of our journey, for fun and possibly some extra income. We will have a good chunk of money after selling our house too, so we will have a safety net of savings to fallback on, if needed.

The current list of countries we would like to visit:

Ireland
Scotland
England
Portugal
Spain
France
Italy
Switzerland
Austria
Germany
Netherlands
Belgium
Croatia
Greece
Japan
South Korea
Australia
New Zealand

The plan is to stay in a country for one month and then move on. For some countries we would stay in one and visit others from there. For example, we could stay in Germany and visit Austria or Switzerland for a week/weekend. Airbnb prices are fairly reasonable in most places (around $1500-$2000 a month), provided you don't mind staying an hour or two drive outside of the major cities. Considering utilities and such are included in that price, it might actually end being cheaper than our current monthly expenses. The big issue would be getting around town once we are at our Airbnb. We obviously can't bring our car with us and I'm guessing public transportation isn't an option in the more rural areas.

But overall, it seems very doable. Has anyone else ever done something like this before? Any tips from people who have gone on long trips or people who live in these places would be super helpful!

EDIT: Our plans have changed a bit. Check out my update here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...d-asia-for-a-year.129721/page-5#post-27483280

Last edited:

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Homeschooling three kids online while presumably moving elsewhere after this year sounds like trouble.

Yeah, we still might end up in Canada. But if we like one of these countries a lot, we may end up staying there instead.
Please, please, please do a ton of research about this before trying to go on this journey. I really don't think you'd want to end up having to return to the US, without a place to stay nor the assets to use to move to another country.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Man, a little envious that you are in a position that you can do that. Glad you were successful in life though to be able to do these amazing experiences!

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
working remotely, traveling to a different country 12 times in a year and schooling 3 kids seems extremely UNdoable but i'd be interested in that vlog if you do it.

Oct 25, 2017
I've looked at places a few times, you do realize it isn't exactly easy to start over in a new country. I hope you speak the language, have some immense experience, education, money, etc.

I have a bad feeling you would end up back in the US broke and in dire straights. Seriously, do some real research on the difficulties of relocating on a permanent basis.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do it. I don't have kids but I've been traveling for the past year since I quit my job. It's fun and fulfilling. I feel like you are not seeing enough asia though.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Yeah, we still might end up in Canada. But if we like one of these countries a lot, we may end up staying there instead.

What kind of visa are you hoping to travel on that will just allow you to relocate?

I'd suggest keeping the house and renting it out whilst your gone, it's always nice to have a property to fall back on.

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds difficult, but then again homeschool-ing 3 kids here sounds difficult as hell to me. So go for it, OP. I'm rooting for you, as long as the family is good with it.

CaptSpaulding

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Sounds like a really bad idea to be honest. This is something you do when you are single not married with 3 kids.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds like an absolute nightmare, honestly. There are just way too many variables that can go wrong.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's awesome! What other countries in Asia would you recommend?

With family definitely Taiwan, HK could be an exciting place too but maybe too overwhelming. I'd say Laos for a nice cheap place to chill with some awesome friendly people or Thailand for something similar but a bit more expensive and crowded, but with some nice beaches if that's your thing.

I know on era recommending mainland China for anything is enough to get me shit on, but China is the future (whether you like it or not) and a place like shenzhen or shanghai will open your eyes to so many incredible things.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
Are you forced to sell the house to do this? Would be much safer without that part. Rent the house for the duration. If you lack the funds then work few more years and save.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I am not a big world traveler by any means, but I am pretty sure there are rules in place for being a US Citizen and wanting to move to another country.
Like you cannot just visit a place and decide "I like it here lets stay," I imagine there may be a few places and countries this is okay, but I also am pretty damn sure there are a whole lot of other places you need paperwork, approval, visas, etc. etc.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly no. Don't do it especially with 3 kids..

Like how long can you sustain yourself /family without a job. Also how well off are you? It's gonna be a nightmare when you do return

Oct 28, 2017

Er, how? Unless you have a local employer (i.e. a large company) willing to sponsor you, you won't get a long-term visa in most places - and that doesn't even account for the rest of your family. Things are a little easier in places like Germany with job-seeking visas and the like, but getting a Tier 2 in the UK is not easy. Most companies won't look at you unless you already have working rights.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Fuck it, yolo. Post your photos and stories on Instagram and you can probably make a business out of it. "The Traveling Family" or something. If the kids are cute you've got a winning business model.

OP
OP
gutshot

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
I really wanted this thread to focus more on the trip and not what happens after, lol.

I understand the visa process and will not literally just stay somewhere as illegal immigrants. We would be going through the proper channels and finding a permanent job in that country, if that is where we decide to live.

Nov 8, 2017
This sounds nuts to me. Where in the U.S. do you live OP? The country is very different from place to place. I've been to most states and lived in a few for extended periods of time. Being "tired" of the entire country seems a little disingenuous to me. And selling your house because of it seems bonkers. That's a ton of capital to just throw away on a year vacation...

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
You will need to find a miracle job that pretty much everyone in the field would want to have a chance of making this financially work out.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As an American with an education it's not that hard to get a long term visa in a lot of places. I think you guys are fixated too much on that part of the "plan" anyway, he doesn't even know if they will settle in a foreign country, he's just gonna travel for a year first. If they find a place they love and want to stay then they can look into that specific places immigration laws.

Oct 28, 2017
I really wanted this thread to focus more on the trip and not what happens after, lol.

I understand the visa process and will not literally just stay somewhere without going through the proper channels and finding a permanent job in that country.

I'm not sure you do. There's usually a 90-day limit on tourism visas for the Schengen region alone. Nevermind work visas and residency permits.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Absolutely.

FUCKING.

Do it.

Your kids will thank you when they are older.

Source, me, 32, currently traveling in Italy with my wife. From Kentucky, USA.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
public transport should be fine if you stick to being in or near bigger cities in most of Europe. But I would use a 'hub' whenever you can in Europe (as in, a place where you can stay for a month or 2 or more), and check out the surrounding or specific countries as 'away trips'.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped when I saw 3 kids.

This kind of thing works for a couple of years for DINKs traveling around one country, but it's very risky with kids and across multiple countries. And put the education aside--what's going to happen to their social development?

Oct 30, 2017
Sounds great. OP can use tourist visas for the year since he only plans to stay for 30 days or so in these places. You may want to look into credit cards and bank accounts that give you good rates on exchanges. Also, as mentioned above, if you can do this while renting your house, that would be a better option.

OP
OP
gutshot

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
As an American with an education it's not that hard to get a long term visa in a lot of places. I think you guys are fixated too much on that part of the "plan" anyway, he doesn't even know if they will settle in a foreign country, he's just gonna travel for a year first. If they find a place they love and want to stay then they can look into that specific places immigration laws.

Exactly. This was what we discovered while researching moving to another country. And most places we looked, web developer was high on the list of desired jobs for immigrants.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
A more reasonable option that is actually something folks do, go cruising around the world for a year. Cruises are affordable and you are provided with room service, included food, etc. Lot of people go on extended cruises for periods of 6+ months and just jump cruise ship to cruise ship if needed.

It's actually cheaper than renting in many places to just stay on a cruise ship cause you don't have any bills to worry about

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
Why not a single northern European country? Just curious since you are looking for a country to live in. Finland/Sweden/Denmark/Norway always tops the lists when living conditions are measured.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Um..this sounds like an awesome venture if you had the funds to do it, but to literally sell your house with no plan after the trip sounds ridiculously reckless, especially when you have three kids.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
If you're a web developer and can work remotely why not just get a decently high paying job now, sublet your house, travel for however long you want with your family and work while traveling?

rafiki

Alt account
Banned
May 18, 2019
with 3 kids? it sure will be fun but man i don't think you have thought this through enough.

what are you degrees in? will it be easy to find job?

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd recommend staying at just 2-3 places for four-to-six months at a time and making occasional week/weekend trips elsewhere. You're not going to get much immersion by visiting a place for one month.