• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
gutshot

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
OK, people still seem to be confused about our plans, especially as it pertains to visas, so I'm going to try and lay it out more clearly.

1.) Find a job in the US that allows me to work remotely with flexible hours.
2.) Sell or rent out our current house (Leaning towards selling, but many have made good cases for renting out instead).
3.) Fly to a country with a 90-day tourist visa; stay there for 30-90 days. Income provided by my remote job, education for the kids provided by my wife.
4.) Move on to another country and start the 90 days again.
5.) Near the end of the year (or however long we ultimately decide to do this), look for permanent jobs in the country we want to settle down in. Most likely Canada. Once I find one, begin the process of immigrating there.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
OK, people still seem to be confused about our plans, especially as it pertains to visas, so I'm going to try and lay it out more clearly.

2.) Sell or rent out our current house (Leaning towards selling, but many have made good cases for renting out instead).
3.) Fly to a country with a 90-day tourist visa; stay there for 30-90 days. Income provided by my remote job, education for the kids provided by my wife.
5.) Near the end of the year (or however long we ultimately decide to do this), look for permanent jobs in the country we want to settle down in. Most likely Canada. Once I find one, begin the process of immigrating there.

Maybe get to step 1 first before you make this thread.

I mean you realistic option is become a youtuber.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I do too, but I also think it can be a good thing. I was moving around the world because of my dad's job, so my friends were temporary for the most part. It's hard as hell when you're younger, but by the time you hit later high school years friendships become less temporary and more "I got friends around the world!" which is a good feeling. Once I came to university, it all settled well and my past experiences helped a lot.

One thing that I realized is that I'm really bad at staying in one place though. Never spent more than two years in the same country since I was born, so when I was in university for the full time I felt almost like jittery wanting to move lol but my fiancee taught me to grow roots somewhere, which has been an interesting feeling.

That said yeah it's harsh. But I personally liked my experience in hindsight, much as I hated it at the time.

Honestly, our children were one of the main reasons why we decided to travel. We believe that seeing the world when they're young, combined with a carefully designed home school curriculum, and free time to work on projects that interest them will help them develop empathy & creativity more than sitting in an underfunded California school all day would be AND be much more enjoyable for them as well. Goodness knows I hated my time in the public school system and feel like it was a huge waste of time that in no way prepared me for college or adult life.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
That's what I was advising him to do, first find that amazing international work (based in the US) with great pay and a ton of flexibility. But someone pointed out to me that the OP's plan seemed to be to find work locally.

On a tourist Visa.

He doesn't say find a new job in every time he moves country. He is saying that once they are done traveling and if they like a country to live in he would try and get a job at whatever country they would like to immigrate to :-/

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, our children were one of the main reasons why we decided to travel. We believe that seeing the world when they're young, combined with a carefully designed home school curriculum, and free time to work on projects that interest them will help them develop empathy & creativity more than sitting in an underfunded California school all day would be AND be much more enjoyable for them as well. Goodness knows I hated my time in the public school system and feel like it was a huge waste of time that in no way prepared me for college or adult life.

I feel like children are the reason I wouldn't do it. As someone whose black, and on the current trajectory would have kids who are black and Mexican - there's not many countries I'd want to subject my kids to out of fear of racism.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
They are talking about working remotely, not working for the country in question.

If they were to find a job in the country, than their visa would be changed.

That is still working, so either he will be evading taxes and still doing things against the law, or will have to register himself as a self employed person, which is not possible on a tourist visa.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019

Seeing the world as a kid definitely gave me some perspective that I carry to this day, so I agree there. The biggest issue I had--heck, the biggest issue I still have--is that I guess the perspective was so...overwhelming I guess that it made it very hard for me to see issues as "my" issues. Like even when people say, hated immigrants or foreigners in a country I was in my default reaction was to be very detached and be like "Well, I'll leave soon." Even now that I've been in Canada for like 6 years I still find myself having to actively work to force myself to be invested in local politics because nothing feels like it's actually relative to me lol

Overall though, yeah a childhood of living around the world was amazing and I wouldn't trade it for the world, so I'm sure your kids will look back on it fondly when they are older and thank you for it. I sure as hell thank my dad every time I see him.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't say find a new job in every time he moves country. He is saying that once they are done traveling and if they like a country to live in he would try and get a job at whatever country they would like to immigrate to :-/
It's funny people keep telling -me- that, instead of the person who told me OP planned to work local due to what he said.

Oct 27, 2017
I have friends who did something similar, took their 4 kids out of school and home schooled them while they traveled around the Caribbean for a year on a sailboat. Do it OP, his kids are amazing, they grew up so much during that time and have a world view that most people on here would envy. I wish I was in your position, don't listen to all the negativity on Era.

leehom

Nov 30, 2017
A friend told me about this thread.

Do it, no regrets. Your kids will be much more cultured and have great stories to tell their friends when they're older.

I would do the same, but prefer my kids to go to a public school.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
On one hand this sounds really cool, but on the other it also sounds terrifying. I'm sure you're researching everything to make sure there's safety nets for safety nets but it really does sound like a lot to do in one year.

If this is being done because you didn't travel before you had kids and regret it, it might still best to wait until they're older and you have more financial security.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
its doable but like suggested you should find a home base abroad vs traveling to a shitload of countries in such a short amount of time

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Obv rent your house lol wtf

This sounds overly complicated for a case of wanderlust. Just take a 10 day vacay then 6 months later do it again.

Woody

Mar 5, 2018
Family-oriented expat blogs are a dime a dozen OP, you'll get more useful info googling. I just tried finding my old co-worker's blog, who sold everything to move to Central America with his family, but there were too many similar hits. They're back in the states after a couple years(?), and I haven't kept in touch but they seemed pretty happy at the time, despite a lot of crazy stories. It seems you might not have a lot of international travel experience, so you might want to start with some family trips first before you ditch everything. Living abroad is something that everyone with the means should try, so I'd say go for it when you're ready.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really wanted this thread to focus more on the trip and not what happens after, lol.

I understand the visa process and will not literally just stay somewhere as illegal immigrants. We would be going through the proper channels and finding a permanent job in that country, if that is where we decide to live.

Uhhh, you're asking for advice in the form of upending your families life for a year long trip and not expecting people to ask what the hell you're gonna do after the trip end?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Don't do it. Start saving now and go do that with your wife once your 3 kids are independent and both of you can afford to take a whole year off no problem. Yeah, by then you'll be old af or something like that, but you won't be doing something reckless. The fact that you still have 3 kids who need to be schooled while having no idea of what you'll do after your whole trip is over isn't reassuring at all.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Something's wrong with this picture. So many questions...

1) Why not spread out your vacations? Why blow your wad in one year?

2) Why sell your home? Surely the equity you would build renting is of more value than any interest generated by keeping the proceeds of the sale in a savings account. Have you consulted a property management company?

3) Why are you planning on financing this trip with income from a job you don't even have with perks that may never be on the table?

4) Do you or anyone in your family have any kind of social life outside of, well, the family? Surely you guys have friends and extended family you would miss going on some indefinite trip that may or may not end with your emigration?

This hypothetical trip sounds fun and romantic in many ways, but also half-baked, isolating, and financially irresponsible. I would revisist it with your family once you are pretty established in a job that you are happy with that allows for the work from home arrangement you would require.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I know someone who did this, except they were uber rich and had many houses + didn't work for that year they traveled. Was a great experience for them, but ironically it made him love the US even more lmao

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll just say that some people are a hell of a lot less risk averse than I am. The thought of selling a house to create a financial safety net for me, my wife, and three young kids to travel for a year? Wouldn't even enter my head.

Yeah, I don't even have kids and this thread is stressing me out. I'm not gonna give a recommendation OP, you're gonna do what you're gonna do I just hope you and your family are able to make this work, stay safe and not end up in financial ruin.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds great OP and the biggest things are taken care of. Do it OP. Your Kids will be grow up to be even more awesome with all those experiences. Never thought homeschooling could help like this hmmm change a lot for me now that I think about it. Also if you make a Blog please send it to me. Also dont let the down talk of Americans get to you to much. Most of them dont even have a Passport so they dont know what they could be missing out on

Oct 27, 2017
Dropping your old life and travelling the world with your family sounds romantic and exciting, but I suspect the reality will be a bit different.

My first reaction is "Hell no", but you already home school your kids and if you can get a job where you work remote then I guess it doesn't matter where you are in the world. For what it's worth though;

- Don't sell your house. Rent it out. It gives you easy options to return after a year and I have to assume it will make more money than interest on sale proceeds. Of course renting your house brings a whole level of work and rules that you'd need to be aware of.

- Get this job first (obviously) that pays enough to travel the world and lets you work remote.

- Make sure all the myriad visa issues are complied with. That sounds like it'll be a full time job by itself.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
We moved to Asia a few years ago with kids. We have jobs here though, and the kids are just in private schools. I love it. The kids... I have no idea. They're too young really for it to matter (under 6). I'm curious how it affects them. They see/learn a lot, but I grew up on a farm. Its really hard for me to even compare their childhood to mine.

We sold our house. I hated being a home owner, and we wouldn't have made enough renting it to cover the mortgage/upkeep. I'm fine not having to worry about it anymore. Also, we went back to visit once and I never want to live in the Bay area again, so... I'm good with it.

Hardest thing might be never seeing extended family. I'm not attached at all, and could really care less about seeing my siblings. I don't hate them or nothing. Just... ambivolent. But my kids don't get to see their cousins or grandparents much which makes me kinda sad.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018

Ah, I was under the impression that you already had a job that would allow you to make this move.

If I were you I wouldn't even look any further into this until you at least find a job that flexible, I remote work a lot but time zone differences can be a killer for a lot of roles.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
I've met a few families traveling long-term, no idea how they manage when I can just about get myself around but they seem to cope.

I suppose the trouble comes if anyone, especially the earner, falls ill or gets injured, you need a contingency plan.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Something no one has brought up is how you're going to handle healthcare during the year for a family of 5. If there's an emergency plus their usual checkups, how are you going to handle that abroad?

I've visited 10 countries in 8 weeks before. That wasn't as difficult as people might think. But I think being abroad for a year could be quite exhausting just because you want to move your entire family to a new country every month. That's way different than backpacking.

Mar 29, 2018
Ever heard "it's about the journey, not the destination"?

I'd recommend staying at just 2-3 places for four-to-six months at a time and making occasional week/weekend trips elsewhere. You're not going to get much immersion by visiting a place for one month.
Yeah, this is very good advice.

Something no one has brought up is how you're going to handle healthcare during the year for a family of 5. If there's an emergency plus their usual checkups, how are you going to handle that abroad?

I've visited 10 countries in 8 weeks before. That wasn't as difficult as people might think. But I think being abroad for a year could be quite exhausting just because you want to move your entire family to a new country every month. That's way different than backpacking.
Most countries in OPs list have free healthcare, and if you're there more than a couple of weeks it's easy to sign up for a GP usually

The outlook for emergency scenarios is a fair bit more grim, however

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I haven't read the whole thread, but isn't this going to be a problem if you want to homeschool your kids while staying in different countries.
A lot if not all European countries are pretty strict when it comes to that. There are usually very very few exceptions.

I have no experience whatsoever but this thought occurred to me when thinking about living in a country for a month or so with children.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I haven't read the whole thread, but isn't this going to be a problem if you want to homeschool your kids while staying in different countries.
A lot if not all European countries are pretty strict when it comes to that. There are usually very very few exceptions.

I have no experience whatsoever but this thought occurred to me when thinking about living in a country for a month or so with children.

There is no way that they can know that he is doing that. They are just regular tourists, as far as the government know.

Btw, the idea of homeschooling is absurd for me. But that deserve its own thread.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Careful about your children.

They need to go to school. I'm not sure if homeschooling is a option on many countries

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
3-DC12404-30-DE-48-CF-AC19-45-F7-C2-ECA4-F2.jpg

0872-E8-A1-40-A0-4-F1-C-8623-27-E00-E8-B68-EF.jpg

I look forward to your writeup in the NYT.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Most countries in OPs list have free healthcare, and if you're there more than a couple of weeks it's easy to sign up for a GP usually

Most (if not all) of the Schengenstaaten dont offer free healthcare for people on a tourist visa. For a tourist visa before I married my wife she has to provide a travel insurance (that doesnt really cover much especially not smaller stuff).

Besides that what is important are all the vaccine shots the OP and his children should take if they travel to that many countries.

My general view on the topic: If its OP and the wife I would fully support it. With 3 kids though to get to that many countries, where a lot of people dont even speak english, how would kids even "live" inside the culture? They are just tourists, cant even speak to locals, mostly wont have friends and if then mostly other expat kids.

Last edited: