• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
c85b60a3203176a14b6efzjkog.jpg

Gematsu: Experience to crowdfund third entry in Spirit Hunter series

Gematsu said:
Experience will crowdfund a third entry in its Spirit Hunter series, which currently consists of Death Mark and NG, the company announced during its latest EXP Channel broadcast.

The company is aiming to release the game around summer 2021 in Japan. However, since the release timing depends on the game's content, that window may not be change. While the platform is likely to be PlayStation 4, Experience would ideally like to simultaneously release a Switch version. A PS Vita version is not planned as there is no further support from the manufacturer.

Gematsu said:
The setting will be decided by the time the crowdfunding campaign begins, and introduced again through trailers and such.

The first illustration shows a city with an air of suspense drifting about. After the Little Red Riding Hood saga from Death Mark came to an end, H City was to have finally been at peace. But there is a feeling of discomfort among its residents. Things like, "Hasn't the air felt muggy lately?" and "Isn't it kind of cold out?"

More details on Gematsu

original sources: Gamestalk, YT EXP Channel

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Will be interested to see more information, as i'm assuming a crowdfunding route would need to have localization already confirmed if it passes the goal.
I'd actually be interested if they offer up an Xbox Version of some kind. Since the original was already on the platform, Asksys just didn't bother to localize it.

cover_orig.jpg

Last edited:

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing through Death Mark again before Spirit Hunter NG drops. Glad to know they're aiming for another game.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they avoid fangamers, Deep Silver and Epic for their crowdfunding because crowdfunding is not a 0% interest free loan and free viral marketing..

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Why NG wasn't released on Switch in Japan
I don't get it.
It will probably get a release in Japan as well. Death Mark and NG both had staggered releases over the course of multiple years.

I imagine it's more important to have both versions ready for the Western release and their resources are just limited. Death Mark appears to have done well for them worldwide and NG had a quicker turnaround than Death Mark with its international release, so it's curious that they are doing crowdfunding for the third game.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Yomi wo Saku Hana is still happening. I loooooved the art they showed off when they rebooted it.

Also the whole having to crowdfund thing makes me remember this:
"The company that the main characters belong to is EXP, a company on the verge of bankruptcy looking to make a turnaround."

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like EXP has started to share concept art that shows some of their design process. I don't think this is directly related to the final Spirit Hunter 3 (yet), but follow them on Twitter if you're interested.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like EXP has started to share concept art that shows some of their design process. I don't think this is directly related to the final Spirit Hunter 3 (yet), but follow them on Twitter if you're interested.

Hope they stick with first-person exploration, it's much better for horror than those concept arts are trying to portray.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
EXP released a new video with more details about the third Spirit Hunter game and their crowdfunding campaign:

I only had time to skim through the two hour video and there will probably be another write-up on Gamestalk soon.

It sounds like the campaign will be run on Campfire (Nov 25 - Jan 15).

The game will be a direct sequel to Death Mark but with more RPG elements. Genres mentioned are "RPG" and "Adventure Game"

Target platforms are PS4 and Switch

Release planned for 2021

Backers will receive rewards like a thank you email, a digital soundtrack and additional DLC depending on the amount they pledge.

It appears you'll get a digital version of the new game starting from the 8000 Yen tier.

They are currently planning a Campfire goal of 15 million Yen (about 140k USD).

I'm not sure if "Shibito Magire" is the name of the game, a chapter or just a working title for the game and/or campaign.

1l5kl6.jpg

2ilj5z.jpg

496k41.jpg

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Hope they stick with first-person exploration, it's much better for horror than those concept arts are trying to portray.
The sidescrolling stuff is probably just for your home base, ala Danganronpa 2.

8000 yen for a digital copy is pretty steep, but I'll pitch in for sure.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a Japanese crowdfunding site. Seems short-sighted not to do a simultaneous campaign on an English language equivalent.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the Gamestalk follow-up article, quick summary of the new information:

- EXP see the crowdfunding campaign as a test case

-They refer to the version of the game as a "limited edition" that backers can purchase in advance in both digital and physical form

- RPG x Adventure Game

- RPG stats and parameters that will influence your options during gameplay

- Side view during investigations (note: looks a bit like the Syndrome games and it sounds like this will be the default POV during traversal)

- One companion character who will follow you around like in previous games

- The game is set in a prestigious private school (Konoe-gakuen) that was established over 100 years ago.

- Rumors say that every 10 years, the dead mix in among the students at Konoe-gakuen and curse them to death. (note: That likely explains the title of the game, a combination of Shibito (The Dead) and Magirekomu (to slip into, to be lost in, to be mixed up with) or Magire (confusion))

- The protagonist from Death Mark and his team at the mansion are hired by the chairman of the private school to investigate those rumors after multiple reports of ghost sightings from students. The ghosts of students who passed away at school continue to live at Konoe-gakuen and bring about terrible things.

- The "monster of the week"-like chapter structure is gone. There's an overarching story centered around one big bad spirit and monsters you encounter along the way. The new game will feel like a longer version of the Red Riding Hood chapter from Death Mark with more content.

- The game has a branching story line; monster encounters and story beats will change depending on your choices

- Some kind of flowchart will help you with the branching story (note: \o/)

- New System: "Suspensive Act". It's an evolution of the old Deadly Choice system that adds RPG elements like probabilities of success based on certain parameters to your choices

-Companion characters now have different stats and parameters that will influence those probabilities, so it's more important than ever who you pick to go along with you. Some items will also affect those success rates.

- A large returning cast from Death Mark that is split into two camps: Some of them will accompany the protagonist during his investigations, the others will stay behind at the mansion and support him in other ways (e.g. digging up information as a the editor of the occult magazine Ōpparts or finding background information online)

- Confirmed returning characters thus far: 長嶋 翔 (Nagashima Shō) 、柏木愛 (Kashiwagi Ai)、大門修治 (Daimon Shūji)、広尾まどか (Hirō Madoka)、渡辺萌 (Watanabe Moe)、真下悟 (Mashita Satoru)、中松栄太 (Nakamatsu Eita)

- Companions will be: Nagashima Shō, Kashiwagi Ai, Daimon Shūji, Hirō Madoka, Mashita Satoru

- Shō and Ai will infiltrate the school as students (note: 21 Spook Street!?)

- There will be a new cast of NPCs that includes the chairman of the private school and his daughter. Different high school girls will help you navigate the building and some of them will be among the victims (note: sigh, here we (probably) go again …)

- Shibito Magire is still a working title. Other options like "Shibito Kakushi", "Shinin Gakuen", etc. have been considered

edit: Also check out this Gematsu summary of the different backer tiers:

8,000 yen – Includes a digital copy of the game, "thank you" and seasonal greeting e-mails, a PC and smartphone wallpaper set, "thank you" voice clips (full collection), and your choice of either the digital soundtrack (background music only) or your name in the credits and live streaming rights (top visual).

30,000 yen – Includes a physical copy of the game, add-on downloadable content, the physical soundtrack (background music and voices), physical art book, special box, premiere event invitation, Red Riding Hood digital novel, "thank you" and seasonal greeting e-mails, PC and smartphone wallpaper set, "thank you" voice clips (full collection), your name in the credits, and live streaming rights (top visual).

Last edited:
OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
from the Q&A section:

Q:海外からの支援は可能ですか?
Is it possible to support from overseas?

A:大変申し訳ございませんが、CAMPFIREは国内限定プロジェクトとなりますので海外への発送は行っておりません。
Sorry. This project is only for people living in Japan.

Guess it will be a while before we hear anything in terms of localization or Western release from Aksys.

The latest EXP stream:

and a Famitsu write-up of the stream and campaign:

y_5ddb9e9010478a7klv.jpg

I know it's early, but I'm not really feeling the new side-scrolling perspective. They seem to be going for something closer to Suda's Syndrome games or Yuuyami Doori instead of their own DRPG past, but I never had a problem with the first person exploration in DM or NG.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Translation of the additional stretch goals, courtesy of Gematsu:

20 million yen
  • Additional costume for the protagonist (from the voice drama Death Mark: Blue Demise)
  • Voice-overs increased by 50 percent
  • Additional horror scene visuals (event CG)
25 million yen
  • Theme song production
  • Implementation of a death scene expression change system
  • Addition of former marked characters that do not appear (Towako Yasuoka, Suzu Morimiya, Tsukasa Yoshida, etc.)
30 million yen
  • Additional downloadable content production (series collaboration story)
  • Spirit Hunter series event (concert? collaboration cafe? etc.)
  • Novelization

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
The previous two Spirit Hunter games are on sale right now:

eshop US & EU: Death Mark is currently $19.99 instead of $49.99 and NG is on sale for the first time ever (50% off, $24.99 instead of $49.99)

Same on US PSN for both PS4 & Vita: Death Mark 60% off, NG 50% off

Dec 2, 2017
I bought Deathmark on the eShop on Boxing Day, it's really cool. It's totally something the 999/VLR and survival horror crowds should check out. It's pretty low profile though, I only found out about it from going out of my way to research Switch virtual novels.

It's really more of an old school adventure game than a VN, though they made the searching as painless as possible, no emphasis on pixel hunting. But the atmosphere is fantastic, and the enemies are truly creepy.

Hope the crowdfunding is a success for them.

The previous two Spirit Hunter games are on sale right now:

eshop US & EU: Death Mark is currently $19.99 instead of $49.99 and NG is on sale for the first time ever (50% off, $24.99 instead of $49.99)

Same on US PSN for both PS4 & Vita: Death Mark 60% off, NG 50% off

Thanks for the update. Haven't even finished Deathmark yet, but I'm already sold on a sequel. Consider it bought.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
The crowdfunding campaign is over and they reached all three stretch goals with the help of 1471 backers, congrats to Exp!

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
So is this new game going to have combat? That's the one thing I wish Deathmark had. It felt like a dungeon crawler but without any dungeon crawling.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NG on switch is getting a physical release in japan, and the cover is pretty great.

evjidbhwoaakiwy11zkke.jpeg

the cover for death mark was really good too

deathmarkswitch111djkl.jpg