• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I've been seeing it more since JK Rowling has been viral lately
Examples:

It's a damned double negative! If nobody is silent, then it implies everyone is talking.
And besides that, I keep seeing people use it where it doesn't make sense as just a "oh hey this is so random lol!" prefix
eia5wjt01xm21.jpg

Ok I feel better now.

Edit: Just to be clear, I get the joke. It's sometimes funny too. I'm just whining about the syntax

Last edited:

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody:

RowdyReverb:
I've been seeing it more since JK Rowling has been viral lately
Examples:

It's a damned double negative! If nobody is silent, then it implies everyone is talking.
And besides that, I keep seeing people use it where it doesn't make sense as just a "oh hey this is so random lol!" prefix
eia5wjt01xm21.jpg

Ok I feel better now.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really a fan of memes in general, but this one in particular is pretty extra.

Not only that but I've begun to notice that like Facebook is becoming just memes and memes and memes.

Last edited:

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
Memes and their nature derive from memetic thinking, the idea that 2 conversers understand something completely without the context being present and shared knowledge being important to the joke (I think).

There's no need for some to be grammatically correct based on memetic thinking.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I get the JK Rowling ones, and I've seen plenty of fun "must fill awkward silences" ones (double negative aside).

But that last example is where people don't get it, I think.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I started seeing this a few days ago, and immediately thought, "Hmm. That doesn't make sense, must be another dumb meme."

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I saw this one and it bugged me a little. So nobody else agrees with what is being said by the person quoted?

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're overthinking it, it simply means that nobody is talking about the subject that the other person interjects with.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
ok

so

nobody said anything
and then
JK Rowling said: Wizards and house elves commonly have sugar daddy relationships, and that's why they live together.

it does have a logic to it.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
The implication is that nobody asked the question being answered; writing out the question is redundant as the answer is in the meme.

OP
OP
RowdyReverb

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Would you rather it be

Nobody: Anything
Person: Thing

or

Everyone:

because those suck more. Maybe
How about
"Not Nobody: "
Then we have a triple negative and it balances out
The implication is that nobody asked the question being answered; writing out the question is redundant as the answer is in the meme.
I get the joke, and I still think it's funny (when used correctly), it's just an observation I made. It's my fault for investing any thought into memes

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but the format makes it imply that nobody is not not saying anything. Like, the proper format would be Everbody: ____ and then the single person saying something.

No, the format is saying that nobody is talking about the subject that the second person interjects.

But you said right there, "nobody is asking", not "nobody is saying nothing".
This is my point. It's petty and ridiculous, I know, but I just had to say something

I think you are interpreting the blank as a statement rather than the absence of a statement entirely.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's just implying that nobody is saying anything or asking, hence the dialogue format, and then JK Rowling bursts in and gives more information because she just fucking has to

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No, the format is saying that nobody is talking about the subject that the second person interjects.

I think you are interpreting the blank as a statement rather than the absence of a statement entirely.

It's the colon that fucks it up. The way it reads literally is that nobody is being silent about something.

With that said, what riotous said above makes sense, that you're just supposed to imagine the question being asked within that blank.

Limit

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
ok

so

nobody said anything
and then
JK Rowling said: Wizards and house elves commonly have sugar daddy relationships, and that's why they live together.

it does have a logic to it.

Nobody is silent = Everyone is saying something.

That is what OP is taking umbrage with. It's a valid point.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
OP is the sort of person who reads a book where someone says "he ain't never coming back" and just shakes their head.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thing is, most people use it incorrectly nowadays. How it was born made sense it was funny: it made legit fun of people who repeatedly bring up certain themes, have certain reactions, etc. based on very little input. Eg. the good old "I'm not racist but..." coming from the usual suspects when anybody mentions anything related to minorities. There it makes sense to point out that nobody said a thing, and then this guy goes for his tangent.

The current mainstream use of this meme is just people slapping "Nobody: " on top of regular memes. It adds nothing of value to the humor, it's just an extra piece of redundant content.

Mar 29, 2018
I think it's pretty funny when it's not "Nobody:" but a unique group or person and the follow-up is an actual joke, be it an image or whathaveyou

The "Nobody:" ones are pretty phoned in

Edit: I don't think it's really a double negative because it's the same as "nobody says anything" rather than "nobody speaks"

ZmillA

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the point that the "somebody" is saying something super specific out of nowhere, unprovoked.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with it because it gets across that the particular thing the 2nd subject in the meme is doing or saying is something nobody else was asking or talking about but that subject felt the need to do or tell everyone about.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I think the OP may have put into words was was throwing me off about parsing this meme.

If it had been

Everyone:

then it would have made sense instantly and I'd probably have thought it was funny.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is silent = Everyone is saying something.

That is what OP is taking umbrage with. It's a valid point.
where does this "nobody is silent" mess come from?
'nobody is talking' makes 500% more sense in English.

"valid" point based on a clumsy/deliberately awkward choice of wording