• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Mike Tyson is one of the most talented boxers of all time.

I think he was both a very gentle person who cared about animals.

But he also beat his wife, raped a woman and was a horrible person. Sure, he was surrounded by enablers, but fuck him.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Threads like this is why I laugh when the hypocrites on this forum call for changing prisons from punishment to rehabilitation.

It's such a farce. Same ppl ride that "A person can't change" shit.
was thinking the same. ask many and they will tell you they are for rehabilitation but only because that's what a lot of liberals are supposed to say.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
When people get old, they change. A lot of them realise all the shit they've done in their life and realise how little left is there. Many people turn around when they get to his age. Of course it doesn't excuse anything.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
was thinking the same. ask many and they will tell you they are for rehabilitation but only because that's what a lot of liberals are supposed to say.
It's not that people can't change, it's that every individual has their own personal threshold for what they are willing to forgive. Not everyone is willing to forgive rape, and that is entirely their prerogative and I don't see how that position can be argued against.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
yeah he's a changed man. He's now a very humble, spiritual guy. He talked about this a little on Joe Rogan's show about acknowledging how terrible he used to be.

Oh man. Tyson on Rogan. Now I'm wondering if my general antipathy for both of these fellows outweighs my interest in investigating what will probably be an intellectually-void trainwreck

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you can't blame people for not wanting to forgive rape. It's good the dude has changed and is no longer a danger to anyone but still, you don't know any one individual's relationship to things like that and them having that judgement.
I'm just a big fan of forgiveness. Especially when it comes to hating someone in their 50s because of what they did in their early 20s. That's 30 fucking years.
You harm no one but yourself.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Imagine going into a thread talking about how great Mike Tyson is and being upset when someone points out that he's a convicted rapist.

Is this what's happening? Are people upset that other people are pointing out his troubled history? What thread are you reading that I'm not? So far as I can tell, there are people who are a little bothered with folks coming to the conclusion that OP is a rape apologist of sorts. Maybe a few people who are upset that there's a little hypocrisy afloat...but I see no one upset that anyone brought up Mike Tysons troubled and terrible past.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just a big fan of forgiveness. Especially when it comes to hating someone in their 50s because of what they did in their early 20s. You harm no one but yourself.

lol "he was in his early twenties"

You know, I know a lot of men in their twenties who have managed not to rape women, but maybe you have a different threshold for, uh, "locker room talk" than the rest of us.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really weird that some of ya'll are going in on the "era doesn't forgive/is so negative" shit over a convicted rapist.

Like, choose a better hill.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm just a big fan of forgiveness. Especially when it comes to hating someone in their 50s because of what they did in their early 20s. That's 30 fucking years.
You harm no one but yourself.
That's fine, that's your prerogative. You wouldn't say that to the victim though, or any rape victim, or anyone who knows a rape victim, or advocates against rape/domestic violence, right?

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody done this? Did anybody enter this thread intending to talk about how great Mike Tyson is?
Unless I really misinterpreted what people were saying (which is entirely possible and if so I apologize) there's a couple right on page 1 complaining about people coming in and shitting up a thread

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol "he was in his early twenties"

You know, I know a lot of men in their twenties who have managed not to rape women, but maybe you have a different threshold for, uh, "locker room talk" than the rest of us.

You can't do anything about that but you can do something about the way you feel about it. I'm not religious or a hippie but I don't enjoy hating or resenting people.

And for the record I'm not a Tyson fan. It's not stanning on my part.

Oct 27, 2017
and because of a 30 second clip you now think he's not?
He really isn't anymore. On multiple occasions he's acknowledged he pretty much only cares about his kids now and that the stuff he did before when he was a boxer was because he was young, desperate and stupid. Doesn't absolve all the bad things he did, but he very much recognizes that as a part of his life that no longer is who he is

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Threads like this is why I laugh when the hypocrites on this forum call for changing prisons from punishment to rehabilitation.

It's such a farce. Same ppl ride that "A person can't change" shit.

Literally what I was going to type.

Era: Death penalty should be abolished and we should focus on rehabilitation through prison reform.

Also Era: So what if the dude served his time, genuinely feels remorse, and seems to have rehabilitated? Fuck him, he should die for what he did.

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you are asserting people enjoy hating or resenting you would have to provide proof that that is their motivation.

You know that's impossible just like it's impossible to prove that Tyson has changed into a better person. It's up to each individual to feel what they feel. It's a choice.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
He really isn't anymore. On multiple occasions he's acknowledged he pretty much only cares about his kids now and that the stuff he did before when he was a boxer was because he was young, desperate and stupid. Doesn't absolve all the bad things he did, but he very much recognizes that as a part of his life that no longer is who he is

I think the thread would have went differently had OP framed it this way rather than changing their mind after watching a 35 second video.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mike Tyson was a complete monster who committed one of the most heinous offenses a person can, with damages that probably never have, nor will, completely heal for the victims. There's no way to undo that or make up for it.

And he knows this himself.

I don't know the guy, or his victims. I won't necessarily say he's a good person, since his harm still lingers. But if he can act in the best, most humane way possible from now on, that's literally the most we can expect out of him.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

My boxing coach went to prison for some very bad things, was a drug addict and fell into bare knuckle street fighting for money in the 80s. Been to prison a ton.

He's a good person today. He wasn't back then. I'm all for rehabilitation and people becoming better humans, but I don't think you can ever completely erase who you were.

I don't think Mike Tyson can't have changed. But I also don't know that PR firm produced versions are anything to go by. And I don't think the current narrative of Mike Tyson as a sympathetic figure is a great way to look at a man who was so damaging to other people's lives. We can talk about someone having changed, but I don't think anyone who did the things Mike did could be called sympathetic. Allow for change and improvement, but he can't undo what he did and he'll always have been the man who did some horrible stuff.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I feel like there are probably people who actually would want to have those belts and would pay a pretty sum for them. Imagine if he sold them off and used the money to fund, say, organizations working to end domestic violence and sexual assault.

I think that would matter more to someone like me wondering if he really understands the gravity of his previous actions vs. just looking sad on camera for half a minute

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
Mike Tyson Mysteries is an awesome show and many eps have me dying of laughter. Probably my fav of the 15 min Adult Swim shows at the moment.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I mean, this is a scientifically documented thing. Hatred/anger actually cause dopamine releases in the brain.
Come on now, you're basically saying your argument is the reason anyone hates anything is because of dopamine.
Also Era: So what if the dude served his time, genuinely feels remorse, and seems to have rehabilitated? Fuck him, he should die for what he did
Oh shit, who said that?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Unless I really misinterpreted what people were saying (which is entirely possible and if so I apologize) there's a couple right on page 1 complaining about people coming in and shitting up a thread

I got the impression that the "shitting up the thread" complaints were directed to people saying things like "wtf OP?" or suggesting that this thread was on some "we forgive you king" BS. Not that people were upset that his past was brought up. I mean, I was one of those people, wondering why people were concluding that OP was a rape apologist, since that's not indicated in any of his posts.

More or less reductionist reactions to OPs reaction thread to a 35 second video...yea this was destined to be a shit thread.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Come on now, you're basically saying your argument is the reason anyone hates anything is because of dopamine.

No, this is an inaccurate extrapolation of what I posted. I'm just specifically addressing your earlier statement I quoted, that yes, there is an actual biological reason that people "enjoy" negative emotions like anger and hatred.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My boxing coach went to prison for some very bad things, was a drug addict and fell into bare knuckle street fighting for money in the 80s. Been to prison a ton.

He's a good person today. He wasn't back then. I'm all for rehabilitation and people becoming better humans, but I don't think you can ever completely erase who you were.

I don't think Mike Tyson can't have changed. But I also don't know that PR firm produced versions are anything to go by. And I don't think the current narrative of Mike Tyson as a sympathetic figure is a great way to look at a man who was so damaging to other people's lives. We can talk about someone having changed, but I don't think anyone who did the things Mike did could be called sympathetic. Allow for change and improvement, but he can't undo what he did and he'll always have been the man who did some horrible stuff.
Mike tyson Mysteries shows him as angry brute who beats anything in his path. His PR firm is doing shit job if they trying to change his image.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Lol, it's fairly obvious you have no idea what you're talking about. I don't know if you even watched the clip in the OP

I spend about 8 hours a week in a boxing gym with a fair-share of Mike Tyson truthers who think he didn't even commit crimes. I am well aware of most of the arguments for/against him being a good person today or not.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Man you guys that are railing on the OP can fuck right off. It is okay to see some worth in any human being. People change, opinions change, there is a path to moral redemption.

Assholes.

It must be miserable to keep this rolodex of hate for your entire of life. People make mistakes, and can suck for a good portion of their lives and still turn out to be a better version of themselves with time and effort.
well stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.