• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Essentially what's in the thread title.
I've so far seen every stream related to games announcements/reveals (aside from the last few minutes of the Guerrilla Collective day 2 because i felt asleep), and the main reason why they had a ton of negative reception to me is mostly because of the game selection. It's painfully obvious there was no curation at all, and that they just picked up everything devs sent them.

You wouldn't believe the amount of games that were Dark Souls clone/doom-like FPS/survival games/roguelike/any of the aforementioned genres mixed with another shown in those shows. But the worst part is that the variety was extremely lacking despite featuring hundreds of games, because 1. you'd immediately forget about most of the games due to them being copypaste of formulas beaten to death by better looking games 2. the multiple streams kept sharing and showcasing multiple times the same games. Haven has been shown in all of the mentioned streams. Paradise Killer has been in all of the same streams with the same trailer each time. I'm absolutely sick of having a 10 minute gameplay demo of Metal Hellslinger in each of their stream because it feels like I've already seen everything about it and have no desire anymore to play it.

Because those streams clearly didn't care about curating the selection of games they've got, ensuring they have only stuff that the other streams didn't already showcase, and most importantly highlight a diverse range of games, they all ended up boring, and didn't paint a positive impression on those games. By watching these streams you'd think every indie game in existence has to be one of the only four canvas that exist. And that results in drastically low viewers retainships between those streams, like 5k people on average saw the Day 2 of Guerrilla Collective stream due to setting a bad precedent.

Some like/dislike stats:
PC Gaming Show
C9J0MRt.png

Future Game Show (that one was probably the most dreadful)
hD0Edio.png

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm disappointed there's not links and info in the game trailer descriptions.

if websites are gonna try and be games PR they need to give us more info.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I felt the same. Lots of stuff that felt extremely derivative and ended up drowning out more interesting stuff. Just proves once again that putting together a good show is extremely difficult and that you have to be a bit selective.

Compare it to the PS5 reveal which felt rather snappy and had really good software variety.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see any difference between this PC Gaming Show and the previous ones. It's always about tons and tons of indie games.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I tuned into day two of the Guerilla Collective stream and couldn't believe how few people were watching. Watched a bit and understood why.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It isn't a new problem, they always had that issue with the PC Gaming Show and similar.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Following like/dislike counts is stupid because gamers are petty as hell, and will dislike it for any dumb reason.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The most annoying thing for me is the same games showing up multiple times with the same trailers. What's the point of that?

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The commentary on w/e show IGN was doing was the worst. I watched for about 10 minutes before I threw in the towel

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Good on them for trying to throw stuff together, imo. I'm sure the Manager of Advertising will take these complaints into consideration.

Metallia

May 31, 2018
I don't understand what peoples issue with the PC Gaming Show could even be. I watched it and all I saw was a fun collection of random PC games. Was it an expectation thing?

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Wait you mean people are actually not enjoying getting a 5 minutes segment of a game already shown 3 times in the previous shows of the SAME event ?

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
my main issue with some those shows was just the pacing

I think the day 2 Guerilla Collective had some glaring issues in that regards, especially with the Hellsinger segment which felt like forever especially with one dude being like half asleep while talking about random bullshit.

Meanwhile some other really interesting games (and probably smaller too) barely get any chance to get their names out there.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about the other two, but the PC Gaming Show has always been like that. This year's wasn't really any different from previous years in that regard.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what peoples issue with the PC Gaming Show could even be. I watched it and all I saw was a fun collection of random PC games. Was it an expectation thing?

I watched it because I appreciated past years but this one was dreadful. It focused too much on a specific kind of games and lacked the variety of past years.

And the biggest announcement of the thing was a PSVita port. That leaked a week before.

you realize that there's still a pandemic going on, right

is this supposed to be funny?

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I agree that there are too many repeats but using the PC Gaming Show as an example on the like/dislike ration is a bit weird as it was barely any different to how it was last year.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
As I said, the PC shows unfortunately looked pretty much just like indie game showcases. Good for anyone who gets excited about them, but that's not me.

So far the only things shown that peaked my interest were Persona 4 and the free DLC for Divinity 2.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
There absolutely is curation for these streams, yes. If you think there isn't, then maybe you don't know how this stuff works as much as you may think you do. The whole benefit of these smaller shows is to help showcase some of the games that would not make it into a Sony or MS conference. Of course there are "better looking" games in the same genres- they are after all indie games, with indie budgets. Of course Metal Hellsinger is gonna look less impressive and polished than DOOM Eternal (it does look very fun though). That is to be expected, and totally fine.

It is great that these shows give smaller games a shot at being on a bigger stage, and i say this as someone who mostly plays AAA himself.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
Still glad I watched Part 1 of the Collective. Gestalt: Steam and Cinder is now on my radar. Game looks sweeeeet.

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Didn't watch any of the lesser shows. The timing of these shows is very awkward for me, and I'm not staying up to two in the night just for cardbased roguelike #27. If a great game is shown, it will rise through the noise at Era and other places, and I'll simply watch the trailer for that on youtube.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This Summer of Games thing is proving exactly why the "X game would sell well if people were aware of it" excuse always causes me to roll my eyes. It is used way too often. A lot of games are ignored for a reason and reaching a certain level of quality just isnt enough for people to care if there are 50 other similar games that have reached the same bar.

I dont need the Steam storefront in stream form.

Following like/dislike counts is stupid because gamers are petty as hell, and will dislike it for any dumb reason.
The reason this time seems pretty specific and is reflected outside the likes/dislikes. Is that reason dumb or something that needs to be addressed?

Last edited:

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
The most annoying thing for me is the same games showing up multiple times with the same trailers. What's the point of that?
Yeah this was a bit annoying to me.

I think the dislike ratio though is more about people only wanting big announcements for a new generation. I wouldn't look into it too much. People are bored and for the most part Sony and MS have dropped the excitement ball.

Not to mention nobody can keep track of all of the shows and times.

We didn't get this stuff last generation or before because streaming wasn't as big, covid wasn't a thing, and only the most hardcore fans tuned into e3 and these shows. Making those numbers not comparable.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tarkov map aside, the PC show was the most dreadful experience I've ever had watching a live game stream and I've followed the industry since the first E3. 95% of the games were absolutely terrible looking.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
The problem is, no one watched the first (and best) show last week, The Escapist Indie Showcase.

Which featured good variety of genres and showed off most of those "multiple showings" games first.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Personally, I have trouble keeping up with the announcements, and I'm an enthusiast. I can't imagine how the average person is expected to keep up. Also, I'd love it if first-parties would use their YT channels or other means to show us which games are coming to their platforms.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Of course there was curation.

These (Guerilla, FGS) are small projects by people that had to organize this during a pandemic.

Most of those down votes are from people that disagree with the mentions of BLM or diverse content on show.

Why did you vote them down, OP? You could just stop watching.

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
I think both the Guerrilla Collective 1st stream and the Pc Gaming Show were pretty great but after that I did get a bit burned out, mainly of seeing a lot of games that looked samey and even the same games appearing over and over again.

But maybe that was because I was already expecting Guerrilla Collective stream to be pretty similar to the KF Showcase of last year and PC gaming show doing the same thing they have been doing for a few years now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course there was curation.

These (Guerilla, FGS) are small projects by people that had to organize this during a pandemic.

Most of those down votes are from people that disagree with the mentions of BLM or diverse content on show.

Why did you vote them down, OP? You could just stop watching.

Because I disliked the show? It's called a dislike button for that reason
Pretending that people disliked the shows because of the BLM mentions when the Future Game Show had none of them is disingenuous.

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
I think people expect more show stoppers, more Horizons, Spider-Mans, Cyberpunks, etc. The indies are always a segment in a conference, and that's it.

I think the more space we give to indie developers, the better. With the cost of development rising as always in each generation, if only these AAA games were showed, we would have 20 minutes shows.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Of course there was curation. You think they had a script that just uploaded trailers from whomever sent them a video file?

You just don't like a lot of what indie games are offering. Which is fine I guess. Some people have bad taste or think everything needs to be tailored to them and can't let others have things they enjoy.

Oct 25, 2017
That's just the result of having 12 different shows + people not understanding what to expect from them.
I guarantee you 50% of the dislikes come from the BLM message, and 35% because they didn't announce Bloodborne.
Most of the shows were pretty bad but, I mean, it's not like you should have expected big announcements from them. It was always about smaller indie games.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I enjoyed the PC Gaming show although it was a bit too long for my taste.

After all these years people should know by now what to expect: a large amount of indie games and AA titles, several interviews and in general a much more laid back atmosphere than your average large publisher conference.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because I disliked the show? It's called a dislike button for that reason
Pretending that people disliked the shows because of the BLM mentions when the Future Game Show had none of them is disingenuous.

No it is not disingenuous. Thats what happened.

I'm sorry you dislike indie games, or think producing these shows was easy. Or that all shows highlighting what is important these days was worthy of a downvote.

And again, of course there was curation.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's just the result of having 12 different shows + people not understanding what to expect from them.
I guarantee you 50% of the dislikes come from the BLM message, and 35% because they didn't announce Bloodborne.
Most of the shows were pretty bad but, I mean, it's not like you should have expected big announcements from them. It was always about smaller indie games.

How come people keep thinking that the OP is about having AAA announcements when it's said nowhere? Please read it in its entirety, it's just a few lines.
The issue isn't that they were indie games. It's that the selection was very poor and lacked variety.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Didn't watch any of the lesser shows. The timing of these shows is very awkward for me, and I'm not staying up to two in the night just for cardbased roguelike #27. If a great game is shown, it will rise through the noise at Era and other places, and I'll simply watch the trailer for that on youtube.

Yeah it does feel like the best way to consume these shows is second hand; basically let the community do the curation for you.

I've got no interest in sitting through a 2 hour barrage of 100+ game trailer and it's easy enough to see from the community response which games are actually worth paying attention to.