• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between calling out a straight white male for their behavior and just talking down to them in general.

Being able to point towards your own discrimination doesn't give you a free pass. It's not an excuse.

Nah, I'm not going to apologize for being tired of straight white males. It's exhausting dealing with the bigotry and intolerance here.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
From what I've seen of the game so far I feel like body dysmorphia will be a major talking point of the game. They may not have responded as people would have liked, but you can't demand they comment everytime someone sees something they may not agree with. While the voiceovers have not been good i'd say to keep that issue separated from this one; I'd wager it may be viewed differently were you to hear the VO's in Polish and the English casting or translations may not be final as of yet.

I'm hopeful that CDPR will be able to tackle these issues in an intelligent manner, especially considering the world they are trying to build. I don't find the image here offensive personally, as it may be trying to show how people can pick and choose how they look 100%. Instead I find it sort of comical as it's uh.. Very big.

As for the handling of other cultures.. That does seem a little off the more I read into it. Hopefully a different gameplay slice will be better? It's hard to say with only one vid to go off of.

Last edited:

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So for all of you still bending over backwards trying to give CDPR the benefit of the doubt here's how they handle non-white culture in the game

`I'm also increasingly concerned about Cyberpunk's handling of non-white cultures. Last year's Gamescom demo drew criticism for its clumsy and inauthentic presentation of a Latino character, and I'm not convinced the Voodoo Boys are a step in the right direction. At one point V, the player character, mockingly says "and who are dem" in response to Placide's pronunciation. I asked Tomaskiewicz if he was concerned they weren't treating certain cultures with enough respect.`

`Then – because again, we're very strong – we rip the turret off its base and turn it on the Animals. At this point, I feel increasingly uncomfortable that we're shooting at predominantly black people labelled as animals.`

`The population is now largely black, and the major language is largely Haitian Creole. We're here to meet a man called Placide, of the Voodoo Boys gang, for a mission. We search for him in a nearby church, and an NPC, named as "Poor Man", comes up to us. There is some questionable dialogue - or rather, questionable subtitling - where the man's thick Creole accent is also written out in the subtitles, "they" as "dey" and "the" as "da" or "de". This is the same for nearly all of the Voodoo Boys and people of this area, and actully after you unlock a chip in-game that translates launguage for you, your software presents it as such - "la" in a foreign language still "da" in English. Later on, Placide mentions "they are coming", or something of that ilk, and our white male character asks "who is "dey"?".`

Finalrush

Dec 7, 2017
There's a difference between calling out a straight white male for their behavior and just talking down to them in general.

Being able to point towards your own discrimination doesn't give you a free pass. It's not an excuse.
If you are discriminated against yes, you are allowed to fight back. Oppressed people know what the alternative is. This imaginary world where oppressed groups are nice to their oppressors and don't speak out and still escape from oppression does not now nor has it ever existed.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I'm in this boat. It took me a second to figure out what was going on in that image, at which point I brushed it off as being a little odd and out of place, not realizing how offensive such an image (especially given the context) is to some.

Real talk, this game is going to come out and people are going to be ANGRY by a LOT of the stuff in it, and are going to be forced to learn about how "harmless imagery I saw on an image board" can have repercussions.

Either that or they'll just continue to ignore minority voices.

Naw, they'll just continue to ignore minority voices.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
"I'm tired of straight white men"

*People lose their shit.*

As said before, it's the equivalent of a woman sighing, rolling her eyes and saying "urgh, men". Especially in the topic you're in, about what it's about and with some of the responses we've had.

Why are y'all acting like you've had a target painted on your back and having abuse hurled at you. You're not actually offended though, right? You'd just rather have a conversation about yourselves and your plight in the thread about transphobic issues.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being straight white male isn't always roses and rainbows though, let me tell ya. People can be discriminated based on lots of things - like looks, personality, class. I didn't have a very good childhood, teen years were pretty rough, so for me I'd say I'd last more than a day.

Such sweeping generalizations really fascinate me.

And it would have been even harder if you weren't straight, white, and male.

That's the fucking point.

Amazing that you people managed to hijack this thread and make it about perceived slights instead of actual damage to the trans community. Like you always do.

accx

Oct 28, 2017
"let's take a thread about the negative depiction of trans people and make it all about us straight white males and our struggles."

Finalrush

Dec 7, 2017
Being straight white male isn't always roses and rainbows though, let me tell ya. People can be discriminated based on lots of things - like looks, personality, class. I didn't have a very good childhood, teen years were pretty rough, so for me I'd say I'd last more than a day.

So did you realize while you were typing this that all of those things people can be discriminated for can be even worse if you're a minority? Yes every human has hardships. That is however an incredibly weak argument against speaking out for marginalized communities.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
A team had to move this asset through the development process (design, implement, approve, and program in that asset among other things). There were plenty of places this could have been flagged and changed. This was a team effort, and because of that CDPR totally deserves to be called out. There are smarter ways to show a world filled with extreme levels of transhumanism that don't include backhanded transphobic "jokes".

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Oh... so now we're saying that white men lives doesnt matter? This is going far...

THIS THREAD ISN'T ABOUT YOU. Smfh

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
the usual ERA ad hominem strategy of pointing to post count to dismiss someone, because apparently new people on the forum are all *burner* accounts
I dunno its pretty accurate, and I'm someone whose been accused of being a burner, ironically for calling out racism
You got folks in double digits going ALL LIVES MATTER in a thread about the shitty representation of transgender people by CDPR

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017

Nothing of that was because you were straight and male.

FJimbonda

Oct 29, 2017
So did you realize while you were typing this that all of those things people can be discriminated for can be even worse if you're a minority? Yes every human has hardships. That is however an incredibly weak argument against speaking out for marginalized communities.
Yes, I realize the concept of "it could be worse".

Tangeroo

Oct 26, 2017

Sure, as a straight white male, you can get discriminated against for looks, personality, and class.
But as an example, a gay black woman can get discriminated against for looks, personality, class, sexuality, race, and gender.

That's how white privilege works. Whatever strife you have in life has a much lower difficulty cap than many other people who aren't white, male, or straight because they are potentially subjected to the same things you are and worse.

Also, have you ever had your church burn down because of your personality? Have you ever had a hate group form over your looks?

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the usual ERA ad hominem strategy of pointing to post count to dismiss someone, because apparently new people on the forum are all *burner* accounts

I'm not going to let you come for me like that, sis.

It IS telling because we've had numerous accounts in this thread banned for this very thing, burner accounts with little posts except to spread alt-right hate. I'm going to call out that shit. I'm not going to let straight males dismiss this serious issue without a fight.

And the fact that they have to hide behind an account to do it, fucking cowards.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
When I saw the image, it didn't really bug me as this is a cyberpunk game where generally in the future gender fluidity is common. However, you have to remember that this is CDPR, and the previous backlash against them. So I can completely understand people not providing them the benefit of the doubt. They've not earned it.

Sharptack

Oct 25, 2017
This is disappointing. I'd expect a company with as wide of an audience as CDPR to be more thoughtful about the messages they are including in their game, whether they be incidental in-game ads or otherwise.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
This ad was in last years demo. Seems like it's of a sexual nature, given the one above it with "All Night Every Night".

7rxYGYW.jpg

HD4QamM.png

thats what i thought, the ad is about the energy drink that makes your dick big like the one of the person in the ad and lets you have a boner all night. the person in the ad is maybe known for having a big chromatic dick in the world of Cyberpunk 2077.

if it plays out like that, i would be fine with it, remember that this is a hyper sexualized world.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Seems fitting for the setting and themes of Cyberpunk that this game should depict fetishized ads of transgender models. I imagine we'll be seeing hyper-sexualized ads depicting cis-genedered women and men as well, though I suspect women will be disproportionately sexualized (as usual). Hopefully this isn't the case as it would surely be more interesting and alien-feeling for this future to subvert this expectation by fetishizing all genders more or less equally.

Of course, should it turn out that women (cis and/or trans) are disproportionately fetishized in the media within the game, whether this would constitute a mere depiction or full-on endorsement of sexism and/or transphobia is ultimately up to how predisposed the individual playing the game is toward charitable interpretations of questionable representation. I'm inclined to judge works of art on their own merits and generally won't concern myself with, say, CDPR's social media presence. That said, the disappointing dialogue and representation in the Spanglish-heavy game demo we saw last year (and everything we're hearing about the Voodoo boys in the new demo) has certainly made me less inclined to be charitable with CDPR, which is a shame as I find stuff like this ad to be very compelling from a world-building perspective. Unfortunately, when that world is full of characters embodying rote stereotypes, what might have been a provocative depiction of the commodification of the trans experience starts to feel more superficial and exploitative in context.

I'm hoping desperately that there will be a meaningful exploration of transhumanism as it relates to gender, sexuality, and ethnicity in this game, but I've been feeling less and less optimistic about that. 😕

Oct 28, 2017

Sure, ok. Social stratification functions along class, appearance, religion, etc.

The point is this. There are certain types of identities that are pushed to the boundaries - that are regarded as abnormal or counter-hegemonic. Pointing out the social effects of white hetero male hegemony is not about individual cases, it's about normalising gender/race relations at a systemic level.

Finalrush

Dec 7, 2017
Yes, I realize the concept of "it could be worse".
Do you think discrimination for being part of an oppressed minority group is equal to discrimination for "personality"?

I don't see what's wrong with the picture, legitimately. What is offensive about it?
I mean, it's an ad depicting a woman with a large penis with the slogan "mix it up" and a product name that's a combination of "hormone" and a word for a mishmashed monster. From a company with a complicated history with these issues.

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
"I'm tired of straight white men"

*People lose their shit.*

As said before, it's the equivalent of a woman sighing, rolling her eyes and saying "urgh, men". Especially in the topic you're in, about what it's about and with some of the responses.

Why are y'all acting like you've had a target painted on your back and having abuse hurled at you. You're not actually offended though are you – you'd just rather have a conversation about yourselves and your plight in the thread about transphobic issues.
I think it's more the generalisation. Most folks on Era came here because they are accepting and understanding of the issues LGBTQ folks have to go through (not saying they'll ever understand them or that as white straight males we're not extremely privileged, but they are certainly more allied with our queer brothers and sisters than any hate groups or such)

Not offended, no. I just don't like the stereotype.

I've personally learned a lot today from this topic alone about why this particular image was hurtful to the trans community.

But don't go around lumping everyone in the same boat. That's not conducive to anything.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a straight white male and I've been tired of straight white males for a LONG time.

It absolutely blows my mind that most SWMs still don't understand how privileged they are.

And have the gall to sit and complain when people on the margins are mistreated, misrepresented or *shock!* given just a hint of representation in media.

Jesus Christ.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Is it not allowed to create controversial portrayals of straight white men in posts? I understood the uproar of the "Fuck straight white men" post, but in my opinion the straight white men are a bit too sensitive. Everything is sexist or racist etc. when a straight white man is not displayed as the most careful, harmonic and sensitive smh

Status
Not open for further replies.