• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not addressing the OP because people are rightly slamming CDPR enough, but I wonder where you draw the line between indies and corporations. Toby Fox started out on Kickstarter but the sales of Undertale allowed him to pay a company to translate Undertale and Deltarune to Japanese. Is he starting to become a corporation?

The simplest, most distilled version I can give you: the only "good" corporations are worker-owned and controlled. Nevertheless, legally speaking, every corporation has is legally bound to do one thing above all else: create a profit for its owners. That comes at very real human cost of labor.

This will go way beyond the scope of this thread, though lol.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to go look up these terms, I am admittedly fairly new to these words
chromosomes are parts of your genes that make up who you are. Your X/Y chromosomes will determine your sex based on what combination you are born with.
Manticore is a mythological beast known for being a combination of several different beasts like a scorpion tail, human head and lion body.
I think chromosome might be a stretch when it could be just chrome which fits the cyberpunk theme.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling in a Sensitive Thread; Prior Infractions for Trolling
Would there be less outrage if it was a small dick?

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the twitter post starting "outrage culture"? You literally have no idea if this character is dressed in drag or someone who cross dresses.

And there it is. This is some tired shit. Funny how the word outrage always comes from people trying to shut down these conversations.

Protip: if you can't bring yourself to even read the thread and understand the conversation this outrage schtick never sticks. No one is fooled.

Oct 25, 2017
The game proper could handle this web of topics expertly but nothing we've seen of the company would indicate the empathy or tact to do so.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wish all the folks jumping though hoops to defend CDPR would put some of that energy into helping defend trans people.

But we're not making a video game so i guess we're not worth it.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Also not a fan of the cyberpunk genre using queer people to seem more edgy and dystopian. I think a real dystopia would be more like the Handmaid's Tale, where gender is enforced by the state.

It's really a tired trope. Urban diversity of all sorts is often used in the lowest forms of cyberpunk media to signify social disorder and it's so lazy and insulting.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
CDPR why.

I get that cyberpunk is supposed to be at least slightly dystopian, and that means that shitty things are normal, but of all things, why pick this?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
chromosome is parts of your genes that make up who you are. X/Y chromosomes will determine your sex based on what combination
Manticore is a mythological beast known for being a combination of several different beasts like a scorpion tail, human head and lion body.
I think chromosome might be a stretch when it could be just chrome which fits the cyberpunk theme.
it's not a stretch to with that imagery and tagline

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Took me a second to spot it in the image.

D8sGihhU0AADZgQ.png%3Alarge

This is spot on, but "Tired understanding of cyberpunk" is a fucking laughable complaint. They understand it just find. It's certainly not innovative but then neithers the literary genre itself these days. Their understanding is fine, Cyberpunk 2020 is pruposefully "old school" cyberpunk. "Tired implementation" would make more sense.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Drag is just performance art. it has nothing to do with your gender identity or transitioning in any way.
Yeah, but who is saying the person depicted in the screenshot is trans and not in drag? I get that it must be offensive for people if it was the former, but how do you, or anyone really, know that's the case? And no I'm not ignoring CDProjekts history with this issue, but in this case it's still jumping to conclusions, imo.

paradox96

Oct 31, 2017
I think we have to figure out intent. Is it representative of trans? Is it representative of a cross dressing? Clarity from CDR would go along way.

I agree. Although I do not condone any negative representations of trans done by CDPR in the past, this image itself does not tell me much.

If it's a trans, there's many ppl who experience their transition differently, not just a normative gender switch.
If it's a man who likes to "switch-it" up, well okay then.

The idea to aggressively want to portray a trans to gender normative would alienate all the ppl in between and those who don't even like to be labeled by any gender.

again, intent here is needed for clarification.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can see a world where this is supposed to be a 'corporations are terrible' bit of environmental storytelling, but CDPR does not deserve the benefit of the doubt. And even then, just....why? There are ten thousand different ways to get that message across.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given the company's history, the burden of proof shouldn't be on us, it's on them.

I have a suspicion that any response from them will not be well received or believed, to be quite honest. I'm already getting the "GOTCHA" vibes from some of the responses.

And in end I completely agree that they are responsible for their own work and depictions and yeah, given their history should provide a response or explanation.

But again, I don't think it'll be believed or accepted.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
CDPR why.

I get that cyberpunk is supposed to be at least slightly dystopian, and that means that shitty things are normal, but of all things, why pick this?

It's also about body modification to the point that no one even thinks about it as strange though. So I don't look at that poster within the context of the cyberpunk genre and automatically think "negative representation". The problem comes with the fact that this is CDPR and a question of intent.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Took me a second to spot it in the image.

This is spot on, but "Tired understanding of cyberpunk" is a fucking laughable complaint. They understand it just find. It's not innovative but then neithers the literary genre itself these days. Their understanding is fine. "Tired implementation" would make more sense.

picture isn't mine and I guess we'll see when it actually comes out; I do agree that "tired implementation" is more apt though.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The level of obscenity makes it clear the point is to disgust, depicting gender non conforming people as sexually aggressive is one of the oldest tropes in the book. The window for that kind of imagery to be viewed as a positive form of expression is very narrow and given CDPR's history it doesn't seem like it's something that they have the position to present.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
A non-binary person with sexual body modifications being used as a sort of fetishized marketing tool fits a cyberpunk world pretty well honestly.

I understand that CDPR's history on this stuff is terrible, but I don't know.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I mean. It's a cyberpunk universe. The person could be a trans woman with a penis, could be a man in drag, could be man who wants to dress effeminate. Like seriously, without any context within the game- how can you tell. For all we know, they're just a woman with some kind of insane body modification that puts the goddamn robot claw in their pelvis. I dunno- it's dystopian future, and showing off what could be a non-binary person up front and in an ad seems cool and more body positive than anything? It's not in a mocking tone, it's not using insulting language, and the in game advertisement is front and center in universe.

Or I could be totally wrong. But without any context behind the in-universe explanation of what I'm being shown, I can't say for sure.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
One of those cases of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

It could have been better, but there's still time to improve.

This is true, I have a trans friend whom I learn a good bit from, she likes to wear a variety of clothing styles, and indeed some of them are fairly revealing, to put it delicately. She is happy with her particular choices, no surgery but hormones and support groups. I'm lucky to have her to learn from, things that might otherwise confuse me like dead naming, TERFs, etc. I'll ask her what she thinks of this deal, but I won't assume anything presumptive.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the topic of gender and presentation in this kind of setting is actually really interesting, but I'm not so interested in what a dodgy corporation has to say about it.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
We don't even know if the person in that picture is trans.

A non-binary person with sexual body modifications being used as a sort of fetishized marketing tool fits a cyberpunk world pretty well honestly.

I understand that CDPR's history on this stuff is terrible, but I don't know.

This too

Ste

Banned
Jun 8, 2018
England
User Banned (Two weeks): Dismissing concerns of representation and transphobia
That is not supposed to be what some of you are saying it is. Give over! It's just artwork and fashion.

I'm sick to death of reading the constant theories of how people ate actively attacking particular groups of people.

blazinglazers

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Genuinely curious how this is transphobic.

Is the model in the ad trans? What's wrong with them having a dick?

Advertising has always used problematic & heavily sexualized imagery to crassly sell shit. In the capitalism run amok, body-mod h+ world of Cyberpunk 20whatever, doesn't this ad fit right in? Isn't this a form of equal opportunity representation / exploitation? Like, isn't this a believable extrapolation of our current fetishistic advertising's trends?

I'm admittedly coming at this as a cishet dude though, I'm not trying to tell anyone how to feel.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I hope I don't hammered for asking (sorry, I do not possess the best knowledge when it comes to transgender folks and the ignorance is my own fault) but is that their representation of pre-op transgender person or a cross dressing person?

(and I am so sorry if I am fucking up right now but I have no idea whether guys who are considered drag queens are the same as cross dressing men or does it also tie into gender identity?)

Again, I am so sorry for causing any offense but I just to learn so that I do not accidentally fuck up.

Pardon my ignorance but what makes this person trans and not drag?

Cross-Dresser is currently the preferred choice of word because "drag" has the negative image of middle-aged men with beards standing on corner streets that the media in the 80's and 90's hammered into the people.

Would that person be considered trans? I imagine the problematic part is where ignorant people automatically think that's what a trans person is? As to show they aren't really a woman.

If a person considers themselves Trans or Cross-Dresser, regardless if they just change clothes, is their choice. No-one should label them with what they don't consider themselves to be. Not straight people and not fringe trans/gay groups.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a suspicion that any response from them will not be well received or believed, to be quite honest. I'm already getting the "GOTCHA" vibes from some of the responses.

And in end I completely agree that they are responsible for their own work and depictions and yeah, given their history should provide a response or explanation.

But again, I don't think it'll be believed or accepted.
That's what happens when you have history of being transphobic.

PatPat

May 19, 2018
Is it commentary on the commercialization of the LGBT community and the emphasis of identity is something you purchase or is it just a really bad joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.