• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
You know I think Cyberpunk settings are actually ripe for looking into how things like body dysmorphia might manifest if you had the ability to use scifi tech to do just about anything your imagination could want. Not sure how this game will handle it though which is sad as it could lead to some interesting conversations, figuratively and literally, and also to some more exploitation-y avenues like horror stuff. We'll see how this goes...

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I hope I don't hammered for asking (sorry, I do not possess the best knowledge when it comes to transgender folks and the ignorance is my own fault) but is that their representation of pre-op transgender person or a cross dressing person?

(and I am so sorry if I am fucking up right now but I have no idea whether guys who are considered drag queens are the same as cross dressing men or does it also tie into gender identity?)

Again, I am so sorry for causing any offense but I just to learn so that I do not accidentally fuck up.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it the ChroMANtiCURE that is drawing attention or the actual poster's visual itself? I'm somewhat lost here. If it's the former, I think the name was chosen in poor taste, that's all I really have to say on the matter.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Please, please remember--all corporations are bad and none deserve your benefit of the doubt.

This is a good point.

There's definitely a movement of trans folk who celebrate their bodies. I've seen Instagram posts that are not dissimilar to this poster. But coming from this company I can't help but be cynical.

Jun 4, 2019
MlHm0Zg.gif

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
I'm seeing some trans people in that twitter thread who genuinely like it, as well as some who like it in theory but are conflicted because of CDPR's recent ignorant (at best) comments. It would definitely help clear things up if CDPR would just make some kind of positive statement and not another "sorry you got offended" remark.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone surprised? This company continues to be trash.

Lots of people still trying to dismiss with that one employee getting fired but that didn't change shit.

DeeDubs

Oct 28, 2017
It's strangely positioned backwards isn't it? It reminds of how they glued on the statue's member in the goonies.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
You know I think Cyberpunk settings are actually ripe for looking into how things like body dysmorphia might manifest if you had the ability to use scifi tech to do just about anything your imagination could want. Not sure how this game will handle it though which is sad as it could lead to some interesting conversations, figuratively and literally, and also to some more exploitation-y avenues like horror stuff. We'll see how this goes...

Yeah, the genre and Cyberpunk 2077 specifically both deal heavily with body modification. So, I'm not quite sure how to feel about this because I don't know what CDPR were thinking with that poster. But given some of their history, I'm not going to give them a whole lot of benefit of the doubt.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WOW you mean all the evidence that CDPR was transphobic that people tried to handwave away was actually how they felt about trans folks this whole time?!?!?

Who could have seen this coming 🙄🙄🙄

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Would that person be considered trans? I imagine the problematic part is where ignorant people automatically think that's what a trans person is? As to show they aren't really a woman.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I was kinda wondering the same... I guess you couldn't start outrage if they were drag.

We're talking about a concept of a game and criticizing it. Please don't mindlessly invoke "outrage culture."

Would that person be considered trans? I imagine the problematic part is where ignorant people automatically think that's what a trans person is? As to show they aren't really a woman.

In popular media, yes. There's a general understanding, whether erroneous, of what a trans person is.

That said, a person who is okay with their penis is not necessarily not a woman.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I've read a lot of sci-fi and was unshocked. Body modification will be done on all body parts for everyone. I expected this even. I'd be more shocked if there wasn't stuff like this in here but your mileage may vary of course. What it's saying about today and today's societal ways is beyond me.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think people are getting that this shit doesn't exist in a vacuum; CDPR has a history with this sort of thing

That's what interesting. This isn't inherently bad, and if it came from a queer artist it would be empowering. But coming from CDPR it just seems like they're mocking queer people.

1000% this

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm seeing some trans people in that twitter thread who genuinely like it, as well as some who like it in theory but are conflicted because of CDPR's recent ignorant (at best) comments.

That's what interesting. This isn't inherently bad, and if it came from a queer artist it would be empowering. But coming from CDPR it just seems like they're mocking queer people.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
lol right in the dogwhistle zone where idiots can go 'uhhh aren't the people finding issue with this the REAL problematic people'

if this was from a developer with less weirdness around these issues it could be taken fine... from CDP..?

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Do we know if this is intentional? Like is it one of those interactive ads that have a product you can go out and buy, and therefore a corporation behind it and that corporation has like an agenda or something?

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Certainly not a consistent problem with the company that's for sure.

I'm weirdly glad that this is so on the nose because it's less likely that fucktards will keep defending the company.

Oh you sweet summer child.

Do we know if this is intentional? Like is it one of those interactive ads that have a product you can go out and buy, and therefore a corporation behind it and that corporation has like an agenda or something?

We don't know anything about it besides what is shown in the OP. Put into context of what's happened on Gog and CDPR, it makes it hard to give them the benefit of the doubt.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
It's so fun to see cyberpunk being co-opted by a knuckle-dragging corporation only interested in selling robo-arms and neon.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Look at the image again.
Sorry, yea. I didn't see it before. That was really well hidden. Others beside myself were wondering what everyone else was seeing. It was like Where's Waldo. They were extremely clever about this, i thought that it was merely shadowing, lighting, and coloring giving the leotard that look not the outline of a dick. Whoever noticed that has some sharp ass eyes.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
yiiikessss

I guess they could try & justify it as it being a guy in drag but given their recent history, it's just not a good look at all

Status
Not open for further replies.