• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much of this problem would be resolved by legalized, controlled and socially accepted prostitution.

It would probably make it worse, to be honest. These are twisted individuals who have literally no respect for women at all. If they didn't end up killing the prostitutes for whatever batshit reason they feel justifies it, they'd probably start raping women on the basis that if they aren't given sex they'll just take it instead.

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how much of this problem would be resolved by legalized, controlled and socially accepted prostitution.
I mean not having an important person in your life would still create mental problems in the long run, but a good fuck once in a while can do wonders.
Anyway, the incel movement itself is disgusting and terrifying, but I would be lying if I wouldn't admit some of the material that comes out of it is fucking hilarious. I love to read some of their stuff, it's seriously fascinating and funny. Hard to look away from a trainwreck.

I guarantee that every single incel thinks they're 'too good' to hire a prostitute or that it somehow 'doesn't count'.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It would probably make it worse, to be honest. These are twisted individuals who have literally no respect for women at all. If they didn't end up killing the prostitutes for whatever batshit reason they feel justifies it, they'd probably start raping women on the basis that if they aren't given sex they'll just take it instead.
This

Whenever that argument arises in here, it feels like no one even really considers the fact you're putting women literally at their mercy, but it's cool because they're sex workers. And even in that hypothetical situation where prostitution was safer and legal, there'd be laws/rules in place to avoid people like incels since they're a clear danger.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
I guarantee that every single incel thinks they're 'too good' to hire a prostitute or that it somehow 'doesn't count'.

Yep, and as mentioned before, most of them also want a virgin who's never had any sexual contact. A prostitute would just be a 'disgusting roastie' to them. Also as others have mentioned sending a sexy worker to a man with a deep hatred of women is not the best of ideas

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Joking about starting a genocide, accumulated infractions.
We should open a camp to help out incels. We can call it the "Zyklon B camp for kids who can't sex good".

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
We should open a camp to help out incels. We can call it the "Zyklon B camp for kids who can't sex good".

I mean, I get the joke, A material.

But again, regardless of how much they say it, it has almost nothing to do with the fact that they can't get laid, and has everything to do with the fact that they see Women as subhuman while at the same time deifying the ideal of purity and virgin mentality.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What really annoys me about the incel community is that it enforces the idea that if you don't have sex, something is wrong with you. As an asexual, that's laughable at best. I don't have sex and somehow I turned out just fine yet the incels use this lack of sex to justify their misogynistic hatred and escalating violence against an innocent populace.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Simply that they're a symptom of something more deeply entrenched, something that society owes its citizens to try to solve.
That "something more deeply entrenched" they are a symptom of, isn't some mysterious, nebulous concept relating to loneliness and depression. That something is misogyny. It is indeed deeply entrenched and society does need its citizens to solve it.

You claim you aren't making excuses for incels, but unless you fully acknowledge that the real underlying issue of incels is misogyny, you're going to come across as doing so regardless.

Hackworth

Oct 25, 2017
What really annoys me about the incel community is that it enforces the idea that if you don't have sex, something is wrong with you. As an asexual, that's laughable at best. I don't have sex and somehow I turned out just fine yet the incels use this lack of sex to justify their misogynistic hatred and escalating violence against an innocent populace.
Yeah you're right, the problem incels have isn't that they can't get sex or they're lonely, it's that they're misogynistic radicalized shitheads who want women to only exist as slaves.

If this post reads like I'm being sarcastic, I'm not. This shit has been the world view of incels since before the Isla Vista killer took it public.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing this repeated throughout every thread about incels and more generally relationships and I can't help but feel slightly weirded out.

Unless you believe in some ridiculous Randian or equivalently fucked up ultra libertarian ideology, the notion that "you're not owed anything" is obviously bullshit. We live in arguably modern societies. We're already owed shit. Our physical integrity, our right to property. Depending on how far left you stand you could claim that we should be owed medical care, food, water and a roof. All these things belong in the material realm. I would personally argue that our societies should ensure our spiritual/mental well being as well, something that they fail miserably to do so far. We know for a fact that relationships are an extremely important factor in mental well being. This doesn't necessarily apply to everyone, but physical and emotional intimacy are evidently important to a large part of the population.

I think it's important to clarify that I'm not defending or advocating for incels, but I don't believe people turn to hateful ideologies out of thin air. The initial malaise that set them on their path is real. Loneliness can and will fuck you up. In that sense, it is society's duty to keep people from falling in the same trap, which is obviously a lot harder to do than giving food to someone hungry or shelter to homeless people, because you can't just "give" relationships. You can only give people the tools to let them help themselves. And I'm not sure "tough shit, you're on your own, learn to be happy alone" is particularly useful in that regard.

Food, water, medical care, shelter, etc... are all things society as a whole can provide you... that is not true for sex and intimacy and relationships... So yes when it comes to that "you are not owed" is absolutely acceptable.

You say you aren't defending but then you basically tie in sex and relationships with medical care, food, water, shelter so you kinda are.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
And again, I was not strictly talking about incels.

Then talk about it somewhere else.

Legit if you don't want to sound like you're defending them, don't start talking about things that don't apply to them

I thought that stating "I'm not defending or advocating for incels" was clear enough. My whole point was that saying "the world doesn't owe you shit" because incels are a terrorist-sympathizing hate group is bullshit, because the reason they started turning that way is still valid : there is a malaise when it comes to loneliness in our society that afflicts more than just incels, and we don't give people the self-care tools to let them come to term and escape this state.

And hey, maybe it can help with the whole incel issue as well.
You're not defending them, you're just saying you're just saying it's bullshit to tell them the world doesn't owe them sex and a relationship...

Stop associating incels with average lonely people.

Also you realize saying "I'm not defending them" isn't a get out of jail free card for everything that comes before or after that phrase right?

Simply that they're a symptom of something more deeply entrenched, something that society owes its citizens to try to solve.

No, they are an aggro expression of misogyny, shit like this is why you're coming off as defending them

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I thought that stating "I'm not defending or advocating for incels" was clear enough. My whole point was that saying "the world doesn't owe you shit" because incels are a terrorist-sympathizing hate group is bullshit, because the reason they started turning that way is still valid : there is a malaise when it comes to loneliness in our society that afflicts more than just incels, and we don't give people the self-care tools to let them come to term and escape this state.

I didn't talk about "irreparable" illness, but otherwise I agree with all of this? I don't think I've ever said that incels should be cajoled or anything of the sort. Simply that they're a symptom of something more deeply entrenched, something that society owes its citizens to try to solve.
When there are members of society that deal with loneliness for decades, like the elderly, I'm not convinced that the laser-focus of the Incel movement on young men and their entitlement to a pretty sex slave can be traced back to it. Incels are obsessed with sex, not companionship. It's not systemic loneliness that is the issue, it's young men having those critical first rejections that most people take as a lesson in life not always going your way twisted and nurtured into mysogeny (if they weren't single due to it already) by a hate group while they are picking up the shreds of their ego. Support groups for loneliness have existed for decades due to it being a very old social problem, they focus on companionship, camraderie, group activities, increasing the chances of meeting someone special. Incels are a result of poisonous misogynists having access through the internet to twisting the minds of the young and the confused, offering a philosophy based in hating women, other men and themselves in that order while alienating everything and everyone else.

It's closer to a cult than a symptom of endemic loneliness, and the social tools for keeping vulnerable young people out of their clutches are different to offering tools for dealing with long periods of loneliness. The former has a malign influence that can be confronted, and it's focus on relatively young men and women makes it a different issue too. When you've got young adolescents describing themselves as 'incel' before even legally allowed to have sex or having any idea what being single for the long-term is, they aren't signing up out of loneliness, it's a mix of jealousy, insecurity, mysogeny and entitlement, perceiving their young peers as 'doing better' than they are at the idea of what they mistakenly think being a man and maintaining a healthy relationship is. Somehow it's much easier on the internet to have some twisted older fuckers tell them that they lost a genetic lottery and women aren't human than to have a moment of self-reflection and comfort from friends and family. The link between a lack of that and cults is isolation, not being single long-term.

Last edited:

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
When there are members of society that deal with loneliness for decades, like the elderly, I'm not convinced that the laser-focus of the Incel movement on young men and their entitlement to a pretty sex slave can be traced back to it. Incels are obsessed with sex, not companionship. It's not systemic loneliness that is the issue, it's young men having those critical first rejections that most people take as a lesson in life not always going your way twisted and nurtured into mysogeny (if they weren't single due to it already) by a hate group while they are picking up the shreds of their ego. Support groups for loneliness have existed for decades due to it being a very old social problem, they focus on companionship, camradie, group activities, increasing the chances of meeting someone special. Incels are a result of poisonous misogynists having access through the internet to twisting the minds of the young and the confused, offering a philosophy based in hating women, other men and themselves in that order while alienating everything and everyone else. It's closer to a cult than a symptom of endemic loneliness, and the social tools for keeping vulnerable young people out of their clutches are different to offering tools for dealing with long periods of loneliness. The former has a malign influence that can be confronted, and it's focus on relatively young men and women makes it a different issue too.

Interesting insight. In your opinion, what intangible qualities are present in the chronically lonely who have been able to avoid falling into the trap? Is it people who are already well equipped to detect and avoid these tendencies, or for others do they happen to navigate around these traps without either realizing it or putting the effort into it? It seems to me that you really have to go out of the way to justify antisocial behavior like stalking and mass murder. There is lots of loneliness in the world, and yet the majority seem to be able to maintain a level head, dignity even, in spite of their isolation.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Interesting insight. In your opinion, what intangible qualities are present in the chronically lonely who have been able to avoid falling into the trap? Is it people who are already well equipped to detect and avoid these tendencies, or for others do they happen to navigate around these traps without either realizing it or putting the effort into it? It seems to me that you really have to go out of the way to justify antisocial behavior like stalking and mass murder. There is lots of loneliness in the world, and yet the majority seem to be able to maintain a level head, dignity even, in spite of their isolation.
I expanded on that in an edit above, I hope you don't mind me pasting it in again below! In short, I think it's isolation (in the sense of being cut off from a healthy support structure rather than lack of relationships ) rather than loneliness, which is also how cults recruit and retain members while reinforcing a fucked-up worldview. If you've got a healthy network of family and friends ready to help put things in perspective, nudge you back on the right track and help you improve yourself when it seems like you can't catch a break you're much less vulnerable. Also a healthy support network is far more likely to call you out if you start turning into a creepy misogynist rather than a group of internet weirdos cheering you on. This is why Incels are quick to cast everyone else as blind to reality, only themselves as having seen the truth (blackpilled?) and use 'normie' as a pejorative, it means they can write their creepy manifestos and discount any advice from actually sane people.

When you've got young adolescents describing themselves as 'incel' before even legally allowed to have sex or having any idea what being single for the long-term is, they aren't signing up out of loneliness, it's a mix of jealousy, insecurity, mysogeny and entitlement, perceiving their young peers as 'doing better' than they are at the idea of what they mistakenly think being a man and maintaining a healthy relationship is. Somehow it's much easier on the internet to have some twisted older fuckers tell them that they lost a genetic lottery and women aren't human than to have a moment of self-reflection and comfort from friends and family. The link between a lack of that and cults is isolation, not being single long-term.

Last edited:

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco

I didn't talk about "irreparable" illness, but otherwise I agree with all of this? I don't think I've ever said that incels should be cajoled or anything of the sort. Simply that they're a symptom of something more deeply entrenched, something that society owes its citizens to try to solve.
Here's the thing, dude:

Yes, focusing on the systemic issue in society is important.

But systemic toxic culture alone is not the sole cause of hate.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys,

this'll be an embaressing bump/high-jack, (and most maybe don't care) but I just wanna say sorry for my "healing incels thread".

I wish I worded the thread title better, but I genuinely wanted to discuss/explore causes and roots of what socially can lead to phenomenon like incels. Justifying or defending incels couldn't be further than what I wanted to do.

As a feminist, I'd hate for a member on here to feel like they can't be buds with me or engage with me based on gender/background/etc.

Anyway, hope I didn't make too big of an ass of myself.

/highjack

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
Hey guys,

this'll be an embaressing bump/high-jack, (and most maybe don't care) but I just wanna say sorry for my "healing incels thread".

I wish I worded the thread title better, but I genuinely wanted to discuss/explore causes and roots of what socially can lead to phenomenon like incels. Justifying or defending incels couldn't be further than what I wanted to do.

As a feminist, I'd hate for a member on here to feel like they can't be buds with me or engage with me based on gender/background/etc.

Anyway, hope I didn't make too big of an ass of myself.

/highjack

Unfortunately, I think that inquiring the root cause of any hate group leads to the same conclusion. People, especially the most advantaged, will look down on "the other" to elevate themselves. You will always have a sub section of people that buy into the path of least resistance and self reflection. The only solution is to stamp it out, and to make those who would partake in that too weary to admit to their views because of the societal backlash.

There is nothing new or interesting about these people.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fucking stop calling them involuntary celibates when they're the ones cockblocking themselves

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure, I think the disrespect spiral gets out of control because of a feeling of impotence and inexperience which prostitution could offset

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure, I think the disrespect spiral gets out of control because of a feeling of impotence and inexperience which prostitution could offset
Can't believe over a month and still again we're putting forwards the idea of just getting a bunch of sex workers and letting incels sleep with them, and acting as if it isn't a horrific idea?

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe over a month and still again we're putting forwards the idea of just getting a bunch of sex workers and letting incels sleep with them, and acting as if it isn't a horrific idea?
Uh. Not proposing it like some kind of forced service or prescription. Which is a horrific idea. Obviously other solutions are way more worth pursuing.

I'm saying that more relaxed culture and laws around it might, in some instances, help people who are dejected.

Maybe someone has some stats or something about, for example, the Netherlands which has very healthy, relaxed prostitution laws and a very healthy cultural relationship with sex.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
It is not the job of women to fix what is broken in these men with offers of sex. Women should not be put forward as an olive branch to sexist, extremist men. Women are human beings, not tools or medicine for the sick. However your comment does remind me of a chain of stories about men working in the tech industry, who secretly participate in a prostitution network, and spew sexist, hateful stuff online. Sex doesn't cure their hate for women, especially not sex they pay for.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
Uh. Not proposing it like some kind of forced service or prescription. Which is a horrific idea. Obviously other solutions are way more worth pursuing.

I'm saying that more relaxed culture and laws around it might, in some instances, help people who are dejected.

Maybe someone has some stats or something about, for example, the Netherlands which has very healthy, relaxed prostitution laws and a very healthy cultural relationship with sex.

You seriously think that having sex with a prostitute, that they would have to pay for, would end their misogyny?

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The safety and laws surrounding prostitution are an entirely different topic to be had, and, as I've mentioned earlier in this thread; hypothetically speaking if better safeguarding was in place for sex workers, I'd wager denying clients like those identifying as these incels would fall well within their rights on grounds these people are a known dangerous individual.

Genuinely curious, have you seen the kind of shit incel communities have spewed to one another? Whether one would argue they are all talk, exposing any person to them in a vulnerable sexual manner is grounds to put them at serious risk.

They don't value prostitutes as people, several don't value women as a collective as people. There is severe overlap with paedophilia fantasises and tendencies, one account claimed he liked the thrill of stalking a teenage girl, not to do anything to them, but to scare them once they discovered he was following.

Exposure to even the most safely regulated form of prostitution is, on the grounds of their own words and views, a recipe for disaster.

Ponn

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I can see a Trump EO creating a voucher system for incels.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018

These folks dont need sex workers nor government assigned girlfriends or any other of their demented demands to cure their so called 'inceldom' what they need is full on therapy period to rid themselves of this vile and toxic mindset.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Inflicting a group of self-identified misogynists on sex workers is a really bad idea. Just because someone works as a prostitute doesn't mean they should have to take the risk of being alone with members of hate groups that hate them in particular to 'take one for the societal team'. Incel ideology has zero regard for sex work as the answer to 'inceldom', as a) they think they are entitled to/should be supplied with someone who is a virgin and b) any women with an active sex life is of ever-decreasing-value in their fucked-up theories that view sex as an exchange that lessens women to give something to men. It's utterly twisted, lack of an initial sexual encounter isn't what is holding them back, and the 'solutions' they pitch themselves read like something out of a dystopian horror story. Any such plan to deal with 'inceldom' by getting them laid completely ignores the risk to the women involved.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017

Them not getting sex is not the problem.

Them being massive pieces of shit that even a sex worker would turn away because all money ain't good money, is the real issue.

It's not loneliness, it's a mixture of white supremacy and male entitlement, the same mixture that dominates the GOP and has generally held back progress in this country since its inception.

Retromelon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory trolling in a sensitive topic. Warning increased to a ban upon further review.
That good old liberal compassion

Ponn

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Inflicting a group of self-identified misogynists on sex workers is a really bad idea.

Nyah, I'm sure it would be fi....
IX9LPaa.jpg

Whoopsie daisy.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
If the point was that wider acceptance of sex work might alleviate things because some of these guys would just pay for sex before they go down the path of doubling down on these beliefs and become actively dangerous, maaaaaybe? But just having sex isn't really what they want, not really; they want to feel desired (and beyond that, submitted to, etc.). I'm sure some would just feel pushed further by it, if the sex they had wasn't as fulfilling as they needed it to be and they become bitter over it.

And if we're talking society being different in a way that'd specifically help this, might as well go with better handling of mental health and masculinity, too.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.

Dozens of threads on the topic and we still come back to basic ass throw pussy at em. That'll fix it! Let's keep ignoring that the creep factor isn't about sex, it's about power over another individual, and most times violence. I wouldn't put my neighbors dog in the same room with one of these nutjobs, why subject another human being to that fucked up situation? You better pay that sex worker 500% and arm them to the teeth. If the shithead still wants to get some, then so be it.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Listening to most incels, I think it's really intimate companionship including sex they want and not just sex. They want somebody that actually likes them and wants to have sex with them.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
If the point was that wider acceptance of sex work might alleviate things because some of these guys would just pay for sex before they go down the path of doubling down on these beliefs and become actively dangerous, maaaaaybe? But just having sex isn't really what they want, not really; they want to feel desired (and beyond that, submitted to, etc.). I'm sure some would just feel pushed further by it, if the sex they had wasn't as fulfilling as they needed it to be and they become bitter over it.

And if we're talking society being different in a way that'd specifically help this, might as well go with better handling of mental health and masculinity, too.
I suspect the incel line on the prospect of seeing a sex worker, both before and after, would be something like 'why do I have to pay for sex and feel like even more of a loser for giving her money when HyperChad is banging ten Stacies a night for free and they always turn me down'. As you say, it's about more than just sex. It's a warped mix of toxic masculinity, entitlement, misogyny, jealousy and spite, in the context of an online group that believes it's failure to succeed is written in genetics rather than anything that they could actually address or achieve.

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right, I'm not even going to respond to everyone here, because the quotes would take up half the page space, but i don't mean legalising prostitution would fix this or is the solution.

I was curious about how doing so might affect the culture and thus might affect incels.

Clearly the 'incel' problem is one of structural sexism and problematic gender norms above all else and anything to do with prostitution would be a drop in the ocean against that in general.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.