• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
So Ken penders is a former artistof the sonic Archie comic, and today this has happened

D3qqX-NWkAAvHDq

D3qqX-NW4AEwN3I

Yes these are real sex questions he anwsered about his run of the Archie sonic comics

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
So he's finally completely lost it huh. Wonder what he thinks of Tails in a Bench.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
this is why the only canon i stick to is sonic underground
none of this weird shit there

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
He really was never the same after he caught that bad fever. That tweet though. Definitely shows the editorial staff wasn't completely asleep at the wheel, I guess

Oct 25, 2017
I had great hesitation entering a Ken Penders thread, and even with that mental bracing I still leave appalled.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Can't wait for him to reveal that Sonic and co. just poop so fast that you can't see it

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Just when I started forgetting why I should ignore anything Sonic outside of the games...

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I'd heard a ton of bad things about Penders that made him seem pretty terrible, but this is by far the worst without a doubt.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well

at least that wouldn't be the most disturbing thing I've seen for the sonic series

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
I like this Ken Penders better. [Slight Warning: If you've never seen Games Repainted then the audacity of this video may not make sense]

I really enjoyed reading Sonic comics when I was younger, started at around Issue 110. Strange plots though, and I admit that I kind of liked the romance stuff.

I don't count these tweets as romance.

Oh... wow. I wish I could rewind about five minutes to the point before I clicked on this thread to read that.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Oh... wow. I wish I could rewind about five minutes to the point before I clicked on this thread to read that.

Dude is really trying to justify that crap, eh?

iJhvNWX.gif

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Please don't judges the comics by the ramblings of a mad man.
I mean, I get the point but I already have a hard time with Sonic more than colorful fandom and I can't help but blame that on the shitty tvshows and the comics that for some reason give the same vibes (then again if there 6874546 ways to make a Sonic cartoon?)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of all the Ken Penders moments in the world, this was the Ken Pendest.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
I don't even follow anything Archie ever did but I still feel like it was kinda shitty on Sega to not allow proper closure on that line of comics.
Proper closure? It was a mess. You cant close a mess. What happens? Sonic defeats Eggman lol

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I always think i've seen the worst of penders each and every time i open a news about him.
And then i open another one and this cycle of insanity continues.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I...I have no words.

I only have myself to blame for entering the thread and ignoring the hundreds of red alarm bells that were going off in my head.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Who expects better from Sonic people?

I get what y'all are saying but for the longest time (esp. in the back half of the 90s) he was basically the only source for any sort of story content and thus setting the tone for the whole series, and so it's little wonder that a lot of folks wound up drawing inspiration from it all. Patient zero for off-kilter storylines derived from the series. At least for me as a kid I found his comics writing less condescending than the corny dialogue of Mike Gallagher's stuff. Of course these days it's easy to see it's of a piece derived from the various shows Ronald D. Moore was working on (DS9, Battlestar) but with focus on rather strange narrative details in the same way we look at, say, Rowling with her wizard shitting lore.

Ah, yeah, managed to find the explanation of that. From user Erinaceus at Sonic Retro, because I sure don't have any copies of the comic anywhere to cross-reference any more:

I remember the comic era in which that "connect the dots" had been published, it was just after 9-11, and a few issues before, Ken Penders had just explained in a previous editorial that he had been seriously ill for a protracted period (explaining the reason why the Jim Valentino "Guardians of the Galaxy" spoof from Sonics #103-104 was published).

Like the time between issue #100 was some of the worst output for the series, and definitely felt like the time period in which Penders started to lose whatever touch he had (like, even if, again, it's very obviously inspired by some of that stuff on DS9 his echidna society backstory stuff wasn't awful). While the comic eventually got better I feel like Penders' output never properly recovered. I mean, I always felt in the earlier days like his art was pretty stiff but he tended to have much cleaner linework than what he got after that point. Some of that might come down to the inking talent, but I genuinely think his art has gotten worse with time and that was the inflection point.

For the uninitiated, this is the connect-the-dots thing I'm referring to, obviously done hastily due to time constraints, likely even worse than the usual problems for comics production:
aiaTM3p.jpg

It's supposed to be an image of Robotnik in profile:
Z4oGSJf.png

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Proper closure? It was a mess. You cant close a mess. What happens? Sonic defeats Eggman lol
It may have been a mess but I believe some people followed the characters and all that, the artists could have been given proper time to make a closing arc and give proper closure to people who cared.
Nah I belive Archie was the one who decided to cancel all comic ip they didn't fully own
Well I did say I don't follow anything Archie.
It's still kinda shitty to just drop a long running comic like it's spoiled meat.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
This is one of those threads where it's clearly signposted that clicking this thread is a bad idea and you should not do so for any reason.

And yet here we are. Because we were curious to see how bad it would be. It was, in fact, that bad.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Man, I can't believe this guy. I remember wasting time on his forum back in the early 2000s as a teenager. Gross and a total waste of time.