• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I had a idea for app. A app that turn you phone in a bluetooth sound reciever. So, here's the plan: You buy one of those p2 bluetooth transmitters. Then, you plug it in your switch. Next, you starting trnamitting to your phone with the app open. Them, you open the nintendo switch app, and plug your headphone on it. Finally, my app and the nintendo switch app transmit both the sound of the game and the voice chat for only one headset. and there you go, problem solved. Now anyone just need to make the app.

And before anyone judge me: even as stupid as its sound, its still better than the official one, lol.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, there are other, less cumbersome options.

SteelSeries-Switch-Bluetooth-Audio-Phone-Headset-1024x683.jpeg

Headphones can receive audio from 3.5 and bluetooth simultaneously?

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot believe both Nintendo and DeNa worked on that app, that is something you and a bunch of friends could do in a week of work. It's that bad.

This is true for everything Nintendo in general, but i don't think japanese players are happy about this solution for voice chat.

Just one example

Well, they clearly did.

Also, about your second point, this is clearly someone born outside of japan that now lives there by the english in the video/title, style of channel and other points...

Oct 31, 2017
A) don't like voice chat
B) when I do, with friends, we all use Discord

I completely understand everyone's problem with this and don't blame them. I've just been lucky, as an individual, to not be bothered by this.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
A) don't like voice chat
B) when I do, with friends, we all use Discord

I completely understand everyone's problem with this and don't blame them. I've just been lucky, as an individual, to not be bothered by this.

you still need the phone for making a party or inviting people to games afaik, so I dont see how using discord makes this any easier

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have anything snarky to say. However, given the world that we live in with respect to convenience and technology, this blows my mind.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, that is an officially licensed product.

Oops.

...Um, but while I'll readily admit I'm moving my goalposts a bit here, "officially licensed" is not the same thing as "Nintendo's solution". It's not a Nintendo product, a la the (equally abominable) circle pad pro. A third party company came up with this and is responsible for selling it.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Reggie is playing a joke on us

good taste in that avatar

By far the worst thing they do. I understand why it exists but this was really not the place to try and "innovate".
This is such a funny picture, its just utterly amazing especially from a company that knows simple but great design so well
Sometimes Nintendo tries too hard to "innovate" or "simplify" and this is the shit you get for it. They just need to follow trends sometimes, they can't always be the innovator. I hope the new president gets that.

Well, Nintendo isn't trying to innovate. This is made by hori. Nintendo approved it to be licensed but they didn't work on it.

I hope this blows up big on Nintendo's face haaard. There's absolutely no reason for this to be the only option for voice chat.
Saying that Nintendo is stuck in 1999 is a fucking INSULT to everyone who's worked hard to create a stress free and easy VOIP solution back in the day.

If this didn't happened when it was revealead one year ago, I don't believe it will happen now.

You know, I'd love for someone in the gaming press to bring all this to a place where Reggie is and have him hook it up and put it together and make him say what a fine solution it is. jschreier How feasible is this?
Gaming outlets still want access to preview copies / events so this will never happen.

Eh, no one would ever do that. This is completely unreasonable for a journalist to do.
It's more easy to ask why this happened but even if they asked, probably no one in the western subsidiaries know anything about what happened inside the division in japan for the good or bad things, which is true for so many companies.

Dec 23, 2017
Yep that's Nintendo trying to be TOO innovative and outside the box. You have to know when to follow what has already been set as the standard. This is amazingly bad and as you said embarrassing. I hope their stocks drop and shareholder tell them to get this shit together.

Oct 27, 2017
Reason why Nintendo is pushing for smartphone voice chat is because of this:

77% of the Japanese userbase prefers mobile/smartphone chat over console-based chat.

http://www.soumu.go.jp/iicp/chousak...lecom/2016/02_160825mediariyou_houkokusho.pdf

So, the solution you're seeing (the Splatoon headphones solution) has to do with that ^.

I'm assuming they prefer to talk on their phones than through consoles, which still doesn't justify anything, because they're using a janky Nintendo app not the ones they're use to

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is bad for people who like voice chat. I personally don't care about it in the slightest, but not a smart decision nonetheless...

it's importance in the grand scheme of the industry I think has been overstated. This is not going to deter very many sales. Pokemon and Smash are going to blow up and millions of subscribers will jump on this $20 online.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I guess they don't have a USB on the Switch so they can't plug anything directly in there? The phone is like a weird intermediary. What they really need is bluetooth, that seems like the solution here.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Well, they clearly did.

Also, about your second point, this is clearly someone born outside of japan that now lives there by the english in the video/title, style of channel and other points...

I've theories on the missing features and the app solution for voice chat.

1) they didn't want to include a text-based version cause you can't moderate chats, they saw how terrorists uses PS4 among other services to communicate, and other crap you can find on the internet... and Nintendo's goal is to keep their platforms safe, the easy way to do it is to not give you all these features.

2) They didn't include voice chats into your Switch because:

--> Tegra X1 could struggle dealing with bluetooth headsets + intense activities like gaming. Remember that this is a mobile phone, none of the apps you have on your phone are more stressful than running a game like Breath of the Wild.

--> bluetooth + gaming can drain the battery of your switch very quickly. I believe this is the true reason.

Oct 26, 2017
I'd really like to understand the rationale behind this.
It can't be about conserving processing power on switch...
It must be an ideological decision to not have the device capable of voice chat on its own. Is it to protect children? In that case you could provide the option to disable it for certain users or lock it behind a password..

What's the major benefit here? Even the Wii supported voice chat.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
This solution is a fucking joke, and Nintendo wants to charge you for this, lol

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Can people please stop with the disingenuous "this is hori's solution" argument. It's Hori's solution to a problem caused 100% by Nintendo. Nintendo also doesn't have a solution to it and probably never will, the recent online announcements show their plans are to try and sweeten everything around the trash heap that is their voice chat/matchmaking/invite solution to get people to buy their subscription anyway.

That's the real reason for the delay, they realised people wouldn't pay for that useless app and so delayed the Service to add cloud saves and additional NES games.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This still feels like a practical joke gone too far.

Like someone tried to get the dumbest shit ever greenlit and when it went through, it was too late to admit that they weren't serious.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
If i ever play online with a friend, i am 100% using Facetime audio, that looks like utter trash. Or Skype, basically anything else.

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
They want to force pedophiles to use a phone so their console is not the only one involved in the PR crisis when shit happens. Also for a pedo is more easy to just use a switch, but if a phone is involved they have to know What they are doing to evade the ccop. For me its not a technological problem is an anti pedo and abuse measure

Risq

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
love how its paired up with the lightning adapter for headphones just to get extra pretentious

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
So the ideal way with friends would a headset with discord right?

it's importance in the grand scheme of the industry I think has been overstated. This is not going to deter very many sales. Pokemon and Smash are going to blow up and millions of subscribers will jump on this $20 online.
Of course it's not, that's why they are still going with that solution, that doesn't make it any better for us though. This is generally the problem with Nintendo, they fix stuff that affects their business, they ignore stuff that piss the players because in the end most of us will still buy and play MK8, Splatoon2, Smash as they are damn good games.

Last edited:

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I've theories on the missing features and the app solution for voice chat.

1) they didn't want to include a text-based version cause you can't moderate chats, they saw how terrorists uses PS4 among other services to communicate, and other crap you can find on the internet... and Nintendo's goal is to keep their platforms safe, the easy way to do it is to not give you all these features.

2) They didn't include voice chats into your Switch because:

--> Tegra X1 could struggle dealing with bluetooth headsets + intense activities like gaming. Remember that this is a mobile phone, none of the apps you have on your phone are more stressful than running a game like Breath of the Wild.

--> bluetooth + gaming can drain the battery of your switch very quickly. I believe this is the true reason.
the controllers are Bluetooth already, so battery life can't be the reason

Azoor

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
My guess is that they did what they did because of Hardware limitations, because I honestly don't see how they would inconvenience that consumers like this without any valid reason.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure on some planet Nintendo's voice chat solution is viable, but the problem is: this is Earth.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
the controllers are Bluetooth already, so battery life can't be the reason

Yeah but imagine bluetooth for controllers, and the headset... i don't know it might be Tegra X1 struggling with all of this, considering how bad previous Tegra chipsets were for smartphones i wouldn't be that surprised

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
I'm not defending this setup and I don't mean to backseat mod, but do we need a thread for this? Like, "Nothing Has Changed: The Thread"? Is there some new revelation that affects your opinion, OP, or did you just want to remind us that a thing that used to suck still sucks? I'm not really sure what kind of discussion you're looking for, here.

Well yes, the Nintendo Switch online has been revealed and they've confirmed we're still using this setup. Nothing has changed and that's the point.

This should be bitched and moaned about until they fix it.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Yeah but imagine bluetooth for controllers, and the headset... i don't know it might be Tegra X1 struggling with all of this, considering how bad previous Tegra chipsets were for smartphones i wouldn't be that surprised
well imagine connecting 8 controllers to the switch via Bluetooth

you can already do that, so I doubt 1 controller + a bluetolth headset is a big deal

the vita can deal with bluetooth headsets ffs

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
Can someone explain to me very carefully whether bluetooth headsets are possible on the Switch?

If not, wtf Nintendo. It would have been so easy.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know if this has been asked, but does the Switch itself support Mic?

I mean, does the 3,5mm Jack support both Headphones and Mic?

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Should have been the number one priority when delaying the paid service.

Nintendo gonna Nintendo with some of their backwards thinking.