• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Whoa. Apples and oranges. Pros and cons with both type of screens for gaming. Resistive has its benefits, especially with the 3DS and GamePad.

Yep. Not remotely the same thing.

This is ridiculous and indefensible.

But as someone who played DS/3DS for years and now plays mobile games on a daily basis, I'll take a resistive touch screen and stylus for gaming every time.

Apr 21, 2018
I just hope at some point in the Switch's life it gets an OS update with OS-level party chat with friends.

It can't be that hard. The PS3 managed an update with it on its 512MB of RAM IIRC.

It's doable. I don't understand this debauchery one bit.

OutOfcontrol

Oct 29, 2017
nintendo-switch-online-cords-100730493-large.jpg

igy2blgvgjbqv7q87h7d.png

An Elegant Solution™

Clix

Banned
And those are?

BTW I love my switch. I think it's great. But this is oranges to oranges - a cost, size, power compromise (unless you genuinely believe Nintendo wanted to crush the option).

How about them apples?

I love my Switch to and I love the way a capacitive touchscreen feels and in the case of the Switch, it is the right way to go since it is not built on the second screen. I agree there! In the case of the GamePad and 3DS, for example, for games that use the second screen well, like Mario Maker or Etrian Odyssey, resistive offers benefits when used with a stylus. For example, handwriting and a higher sensor resolution which is ideal for fine tuning and smaller buttons and tips, so for a game like Mario Maker, due to recognizing pressure, it can grant great control and accuracy. Same for drawing, like games like Art Academy. Of course the screen has its cons as well, as you cannot multi touch and contrast and resolution suffer, so I would not like it as a main screen. As a secondary screen for gaming? I think it is a solid choice.

So there are pros and cons.

It's quite poor and more shocking when you realise that a competitor has provided a good voice chat option 10 years ago on their system. Therefore, Nintendo could have caught up if they really wanted to but my assumption is that it's obviously not a high priority.

What's the problem with comparing fruit?

When you put it that way. Although I do dislike apples unless they are sliced and cooked with brown sugar and cinnamon and placed into a pie.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
This not the setup. It's a setup...a purposefully over exaggerated example of a setup that very few people use.

It's the required setup if you want to have a comparable chat experience to any other console (as in, game and chat audio coming from one speaker). Yes, most people will just use their phone and earbuds, but that's because the Switch has such a piss poor chat solution that most people will just use obvious work arounds.

Alcibiades

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Just use the discord app on your phone with a bluetooth headphone? That's what I do for all my games. It's very easy and intuitive.

Sucks if you want to voice chat with complete strangers, but why would you want to do that anyway?

OryoN

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
What is exaggerated about the picture?

I dont understand.

Really? You guys need to stop. The entire argument - against Nintendo voice chat - as presented in this thread is disingenuous. It purposefully and blatantly uses that ridiculous setup (and I do agree it's f**king ridiculous that it even got the OK!) as a false narative suggesting that this is the only way to use Nintendo's voice chat solution. It's not!

Yet, quite conveniently, the setup below is glossed over.

nintendo-switch-use-nintendo-switch-online-app-play-splatoon-2-with-friends.1280x600.jpg

That's all you really need. As I said earlier, it's not the native solution I desire, but it's far from the cumbersome headache the OP image depicts. It actually works fine, especially as a portable solution.

If you guys want to make a genuine argument, make it against the solution in the image above. Otherwise, you're just beating a strawman.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Really? You guys need to stop. The entire argument - against Nintendo voice chat - as presented in this thread is disingenuous. It purposefully and blatantly uses that ridiculous setup (and I do agree it's f**king ridiculous that it even got the OK!) as a false narative suggesting that this is the only way to use Nintendo's voice chat solution. It's not!

nintendo-switch-use-nintendo-switch-online-app-play-splatoon-2-with-friends.1280x600.jpg

That's all you really need. As I said earlier, it's not the native solution I desire, but it's far from the cumbersome headache the OP image depicts. It actually works fine, especially as a portable solution.

If you guys want to make a genuine argument, make it against the solution in the image above. Otherwise, you're just beating a strawman.

And have my friends hear my game through the voice chat? Who does this?

That kind of bad behavior should die with the Kinect.

Last edited:

Deleted member 26746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
hello I'm strawman.

How can you complain about a real photo of the setup nintendo is selling you to use voice chat...

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

Huh? The audio would bleed over into the voice chat or vice versa. That's the whole point. The only non-cumbersome (and I say that hesitantly) way to do both would be buds in your phone for voice chat and then headphone cans over top for the Switch audio.

And this isn't even approaching the faults of having the voice chat on a separate system from the dedicated gaming machine. So many extra steps for something that could and should have been bundled into the Switch OS.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

OK then, I'll play your game.

1. 2 devices. 2 points of failure, 2 batteries to charge, 2 sources of sounds to manage\mix\level\test, 2 devices to connect to the internet, 2 screens to look at.
2. Because the game sound and the VC sound isn't coming from the same source, you don't get auto-leveling\mixing to ensure you hear your teammates clearly. It's going to be competing levels of volume.
3. In portable mode you can't always have your sound up. Public transport, trains, etc.
4. By virtue of being off of the system, the app has to now compete with other voice chat services, which are already better than it. Discord, Hangouts, FB Messenger, Slack, etc.

The Futurist

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see them not allowing bluetooth headset support. That would be too much for the geniuses at Nintendo.

However, the fact that you can't simply plug in a standard headset to the 3.5mm jack just like you can to an Xbox or PS4 controller is infuriating and stupid to the point of no return.

I can't believe how far people will go to defend this shit. It's is my opinion that anyone who thinks Nintendo's "solution" is good is a fucking idiot.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone with less than four arms play in portable mode by using that setup? Care to show video of that?
Well, yeah you only need to hold the phone when joining a party, the mixer when adjusting volume and the joycons when playing a game. Do you also hold your TV remote in your hand the entire time you play videogames?

The "you need four arms" joke is idiotic and nonsensical. Honestly, in a thread about Nintendo implementing something really simple in an incredibly stupid and overcomplicated way the fact that so many people have went out of their way to make this joke is bizarre.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017

I've used this exact setup too (and I believe the friends I was playing with were doing the same), and it works great. I never experienced any issues with the chat picking up the game audio, either. Everything worked fine with the chat on speaker. Honestly—and I know this isn't a popular opinion—I prefer using voice chat over speaker like this, anyway. That way, everyone in the room can be a part of the chat regardless of whether they're playing the game or not. I loved Wii Speak in Animal Crossing: City Folk for the same reason. Though I've yet to try the Nintendo Switch Online voice chat with my AirPods, so that might actually be a nice setup as well. While I won't argue that this voice chat implementation isn't without issues, I do like the degree of flexibility there is compared to traditional headset setups.