• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
nintendo-switch-online-cords-100730493-large.jpg

igy2blgvgjbqv7q87h7d.png

Add in a phone charger if you plan to game for a few hours.
This is insane it was embarrassing when it was free, now people are going to have to pay for this if you wanted game audio and voice chat on the same headset. Craziest part is the Switch's jack supposedly supports microphones so it's not a hardware issue.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Nintendo has been ace this gen, but that shit is stupid and there's no defending it.

Oct 30, 2017
can you not just use airpods or whatever bluetooth headset you already have paired to your phone? because i can see situations where that might actually be more convenient than the alternative.

crazy for it to be the only way, of course. (also crazy that the switch doesn't just support bluetooth headsets at all in the first place.)

Prologue

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo has been ace this gen, but that shit is stupid and there's no defending it.

Good amount of people here are defending it in the other thread. How communication online is pointless because of a few bad eggs, instead of admitting their antisocial tendencies and applying it to everyone.

Online communication on the switch is a complete joke.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm not defending this setup and I don't mean to backseat mod, but do we need a thread for this? Like, "Nothing Has Changed: The Thread"? Is there some new revelation that affects your opinion, OP, or did you just want to remind us that a thing that used to suck still sucks? I'm not really sure what kind of discussion you're looking for, here.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Who greenlit this? Who looked at this and said yup it's perfect ship the console. I must know
Like I thought it was a rush job as a solution at first but a year later it's still the only way I'm baffled

Eslayer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
can you not just use airpods or whatever bluetooth headset you already have paired to your phone? because i can see situations where that might actually be more convenient than the alternative.

crazy for it to be the only way, of course.

You can and I also believe there's headsets that are wireless and can pickup game audio and bluetooth simultaneously

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
My money is that they are going to announce a Nintendo branded headset that works better than this one in some way. (maybe bluetooth?)

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not defending this setup and I don't mean to backseat mod, but do we need a thread for this? Like, "Nothing Has Changed: The Thread"? Is there some new revelation that affects you opinion, OP, or did you just want to remind us that a thing that used to suck still sucks? I'm not really sure what kind of discussion you're looking for, here.

Yah, echoed.

It sucks, has always sucked.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
As I said in the other thread, running an aux cord from my monitor's headphone port to my PC's mic port + using discord on said PC is a better solution than using Nintendo's stupid phone app. God.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Don't hold your breath

Yeah but Nintendo is also the same company that does accessories that are objectively better than the ones from third parties because they want to make more money from these things.

Look at the Switch Dock melodrama where Nintendo warned users not to use third party docks, and those companies then replied saying that this is Nintendo trying to sell more of their official docks.

It's either this (a better solution Nintendo-branded) or Nintendo still hates online gaming, as they did for the past 20-30 years and they were very clear about this. lol

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
It's crazy that nintendo still hasn't done anything about this.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

igy2blgvgjbqv7q87h7d.png

Add in a phone charger if you plan to game for a few hours.
This is insane it was embarrassing when it was free, now people are going to have to pay for this if you wanted game audio and voice chat on the same headset. Craziest part is the Switch's jack supposedly supports microphones so it's not a hardware issue.

I really hope that's a bad joke. Looks like a terrible attempt to reinvent the wheel.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo just don't know how to make basic console features, because doing thing different just for the sake of it is incredibly stupid.
Before that there was "baby steps" but now they went completely backward.

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
Oh come on OP man. after all the threads today? you know that it was still the same. you just wanted to post that pic. sorry for thread whining but come on

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh come on OP man. after all the threads today? you know that it was still the same. you just wanted to post that pic. sorry for thread whining but come on

Nintendo just gave some more details about their paid online service, something that could have maybe just maybe made the picture in the OP irrelevant. that didn't happen. so here we are. it's not like this thread was made out of the blue

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the problem? Nintendo revealed their online plans. They proceeded to not address the issues people have been complaining about for a year now. It's fair to point out that they are now going to charge for this garbage.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Reminder that Reggie said this:
Instead of having some sort of bulky gamer headset, you'll be able to do it right off your smartphone

While I think the price of the online service is good (mostly because I will share it with 7 friends which makes it 4.30 per year lol) , this is ridiculous

Last edited:

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
That would be clunky in any generation. Those big ass maginfying glasses and articulating lights we used to hang off of Gameboys were far less intrusive than this.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
The voice chat and the smartphone app were always the most insane parts of the Switch. I hoped they'd delayed Online to rethink things. Clearly not.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't do any of that, I use speaker on my phone and set phone beside me, don't even wear a headset

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Who greenlit this? Who looked at this and said yup it's perfect ship the console. I must know
Like I thought it was a rush job as a solution at first but a year later it's still the only way I'm baffled

Well, if you want something, it's obviously someone in a high position from the hardware division that approved it and people on a minor position that made.

Yeah but Nintendo is also the same company that does accessories that are objectively better than the ones from third parties because they want to make more money from these things.

Look at the Switch Dock melodrama where Nintendo warned users not to use third party docks, and those companies then replied saying that this is Nintendo trying to sell more of their official docks.

It's either this (a better solution Nintendo-branded) or Nintendo still hates online gaming, as they did for the past 20-30 years and they were very clear about this. lol

Nintendo don't hate online gaming, otherwise they wouldn't invest in games using it or anything related. If I can guess, the employees be it in the software or hardware division just can't do online in the same way as Sony and MS be it because of no previous experience. And I think that the manager of the division don't want to dismiss those people or contract someone to guide them because they think that they're doing a goob job at it. Just a theory, after all we don't have any idea what happens inside there.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly curious if someone here has tried that setup.
I'm curious if anyone at Nintendo actually tried that setup

If I can guess, the employees be it in the software or hardware division just can't do online in the same way as Sony and MS be it because of no previous experience.
LOL, this is your guess? Various teams with people of various backgrounds and industry experience and not a single person has played games on non-Nintendo consoles or has the technical know-ho to architect an online system like hundreds, if not thousands, of other games have?