• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Ive said this before , but if you call wellsfargo and ask a banker to put you on hold...That's the best sonic song .

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a kid I didn't give a shit about E-102, but I respect the hell out of him now.

As a kid I was all about Big. And yes, especially his terrible theme.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
This thread is sorely lacking these.

I would rewind these endlessly as a kid before the game came out and I barely knew how to use the fucking internet. First time hearing their voices! The Japanese voices sounded so damn cool!

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
This thread makes me regret that I didn't buy the Dreamcast version in a thrift-shop I saw a few months ago, man Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were such great games :(

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Fumie Kumatani and Mariko Nanba back on a soundtrack again would be a dream come true. Seeing them both gone from Sonic soundtracks post Colors was a real shame.
It's really strange how they both completely disappeared after leaving Sega post-Colors, I've never found any other credited work. Sega's sound team just hasn't been the same without them.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's a ton of good music in Sonic Adventure, but yeah that's the best one.

Oct 27, 2017
Soundtracks like the one in Sonic Adventure 1 are an example of how incredibly important sound and music in particular are in order to create a memorable game which will stay on people's minds 20 years after its original release.
Sega are one the few companies which still respect music as another integral cog in a game's machinery, seeing how most of their output over the years feature incredible soundtracks, even if the game is nothing to call home about.

I just wish they released more games these days, I want that "Sega sound" back in gaming at full force

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
While this thread has some great music already posted, how can we forget about this gem:

GENEEEEEEEEEEEEEE PASSIONNNNNNNNNN OOMPH

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
People can hate on the game all they want but the OST has always been great. SA1 was also the best 3D Sonic Game until Colours.

YES SA1 > SA2
(Fight me!)

Oct 25, 2017
It's really strange how they both completely disappeared after leaving Sega post-Colors, I've never found any other credited work. Sega's sound team just hasn't been the same without them.
They re-arranged some of Kumatani's work in PSO2, but outside of that nothing else has happened.

Really weird that they just flat out disappeared, I feel like she would have significantly improved the PSO2 soundtrack, which suffers from feeling too similar quite frequently.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
You were so close OP:

That's more like it.
But it's such an incredible ost.
I fought countless enemies who called it "j-poprock crap" back in 2000 who never listened beyond the characters themes.
20 yrs later, it's regarded as all time classic, for good reason.

Was so happy to find that SA demo for the x360 had a working sound test with all the tracks, I didn't need anything more.

OP
OP
PeakPointMatrix
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is sorely lacking these.

I would rewind these endlessly as a kid before the game came out and I barely knew how to use the fucking internet. First time hearing their voices! The Japanese voices sounded so damn cool!
Man how I wish we would get a game on this scale again. These ads are only the tip of the iceberg to the behemoth of an adventure SA1 was, I could easily imagine getting beyond hyped had I seen these as a kid.
...Or Sky Deck.

...But it's definitely up there.

That's not even the best Sky Deck track!
:P

I know people hate Sky Deck part 2 because of the camera and shifting orientation but that's exactly why I love it. The ship is shifting and changing around you, you don't know what's up or down, cranes swinging you wildly, it's utter chaos as you make your way through the final section of this floating vessel; and this song compliments that chaos perfectly. The whole stage is one of my favorites.

I love how thoroughly they tapped into the potential of the Egg Carrier in the game. Two dog fights surrounding it, an entire stage based on it, so many critical story points and crossed paths here, and the ending for the best character on the ship's deck. Not to mention the funky mechanical main theme as well as the supplemental tracks between Sky Deck/Chase, the two transformations that alter the adventure field aspect, a chao garden, and the sheer presence it gives Eggman as a villain in this game. It's one of my favorite sections in a game.

I was actually trying to think of a way to write it out in a genderless way just for such a reason, but it never occured to me to just write that sentence without the gender pronoun at all!

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
So, I just saw this "quick story explanation" for the 6 main characters in Sonic Adventure, and it was spot on (and also funny):

539x0cegz6o31.png

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Hard disagree that it's the best, but it is fantastic. Then again, so is 99% of the soundtrack.

For me it's probably this...

...but I can think of several other strong contenders too.

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Sonic Adventure's OST was a departure from the previous Sonic games... and what a departure!
New attitude, new style, all around amazing!

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I always found it kind of interesting that so many people interpret Gamma and the bird inside of him to be two entirely separate consciousnesses, whereas I interpreted his face turn moment as a signal that he was recovering the memories of his former life and acting upon them.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Came into this thread hoping OP would've posted one of the robot themes, one of the Lost World themes or the Chasing the Egg Carrier theme
Good thread

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
The vast majority of the story elements in Adventure 1 held up terribly when replaying the game years later on XBLA, but Gamma's tale was the one surprising exception. The music certainly helps, also probably that it's less reliant on dialogue :p

Thanks to everyone posting tracks in the thread, I can still have some fun with SA1 despite its many flaws and the incredible OST is partly why.

So glad that, thanks to mods, I can basically play the PC version with the original Dreamcast visuals at higher res+frame rate. Still gets fired up occasionally as a bit of nostalgic comfort food, albeit via the stage select (and mostly the Sonic levels)

I always found it kind of interesting that so many people interpret Gamma and the bird inside of him to be two entirely separate consciousnesses, whereas I interpreted his face turn moment as a signal that he was recovering the memories of his former life and acting upon them.

Gosh, how very RoboCop :o

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So many have posted excellent Adventure tracks so far, so there's no point in repeating myself. Instead, I'll just mention a game whose soundtrack is insane and completely forgotten: Sonic Runners.

On that note, I'm sad they seemingly abandonded the more colorful aesthetic of Lost World and Runners.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
The vast majority of the story elements in Adventure 1 held up terribly when replaying the game years later on XBLA, but Gamma's tale was the one surprising exception. The music certainly helps, also probably that it's less reliant on dialogue :p

Thanks to everyone posting tracks in the thread, I can still have some fun with SA1 despite its many flaws and the incredible OST is partly why.

So glad that, thanks to mods, I can basically play the PC version with the original Dreamcast visuals at higher res+frame rate. Still gets fired up occasionally as a bit of nostalgic comfort food, albeit via the stage select (and mostly the Sonic levels)

Gosh, how very RoboCop :o
The story and voice acting were always bad. Gamma and Tikal bits being the exception. The voice acting just takes you right out the moment.

ChristopherDX

Banned
May 8, 2018
How are they story and voice acting bad it's a children's game with entertaining voices and a simple story that was engaging to kids.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think OP miss Red Mountain act 1 for some reason 🤔

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And unlike Shadow's story, they didn't fuck it up by bringing him right back and explaining how he survived in incidental in-game dialogue two sequels later that you only hear if you're bad at the game!
Sonic Adventure 2's narrative was pretty damn fantastic when approached from the perspective that it looked to be the last Sonic game they would get to ever make. It makes the rampup of the stakes after the midway point, the way certain characters are written, the buildup to the finale, and the melancholy ending all the more poignant. One of those things that kinda gets undone completely by the time Sonic Heroes rolled around and felt almost like a soft reboot. A bit unfortunate to be honest.

Man, I kinda miss the way Adventure told their stories.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Truly one of the greats. I wish we could agree that the soundtrack all has so much greatness in it, nostalgia or not.

Only thing Nanba has done since leaving was work with another fantastic former SEGA composer - Saori Kobayashi on the Panzer Dragoon Saga Anniversary OST (which had new arrangements). Fumie has just disappeared totally. Such a shame, so many amazing SEGA Sound Team composers just disappear without a trace.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Gamma's story was the first time I cried at a video game.

Adventure's soundtrack is one of the best OSTs of all time and the best Sonic soundtrack.

SAME FOR ME, i was like 7 playing it and i broke into tears when he blew up

beta theme is bomb but this is probably my favorite now looking back, the whole soundtrack is amazing.

If SA1 got a remake with rewritten dialogue and better lipsyncing/cutscene direction, i think people would really consider its story quite good. Its leaps and bounds beyond other sonic games and with better presentation i think it could really reach a lot more people. Also a remake would be a good opportunity to fix a lot of the strange collision detection in this one, other than that and making big's story optional I honestly think the game would be considered really good, even by the tough crowds sonic has gotten in recent years

OP
OP
PeakPointMatrix
Oct 25, 2017
I have a soft spot for Tail's narrative. While clunky, he had an actual arc reflecting on how much he relies on Sonic for everything. Even the stage gimmick of beating and keeping up with Sonic plays into his character story. Then when suddenly faced with saving Station Square from Eggman, he actually musters up the courage to confront him on his own.

The last shot of Tails reuniting with Sonic in the Mystic Ruins as he excitedly tells him of his victory is pretty touching.

It pains me to see every characterization of Tails since then slowly reduce him to the nerdy scaredy cat.

Last edited:

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Sonic Adventure 1 was flawed but also so damn good and left me super excited for the direction of the series in 3D. I was such a fool...

There's too much amazing music in this thread for me to pick a best track, I adore it all.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a soft spot for Tail's narrative. While clunky, he had an actual arc reflecting on how much he relies on Sonic for everything. Even the stage gimmick of beating and keeping up with Sonic plays into his character story. Then when suddenly faced with saving Station Square from Eggman, he actually musters up the courage to confront him on his own.

The last shot of Tails reuniting with Sonic in the Mystic Ruins as he excitedly tells him of his victory is pretty touching.

It pains me to see every characterization of Tails since then slowly reduce him to the nerdy scaredy cat.
At least there's the IDW comics.
e4ho0lzq1w631.jpg

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Adventure 2 followed up on Tails' arc pretty nicely. He really earned himself some autonomy while also being able to accomplish something Sonic couldn't do at the time (beat Eggman). He still operated mostly alongside Sonic, but they made a point in the first act to show him having to save Sonic instead, and unlike Adventure, they made a bigger effort to depict him as the group's "tactician".

For what it's worth, I think Colors was probably the best post-Adventure era depiction of Tails, they really sold him as a character who truly felt like Sonic's "friend" at that point, since he didn't buy into Sonic's hot shit attitude as much anymore and had no problem poking fun at his cocksure attitude. I also think it was cool how Lost World attempted to give him a bit more of a backbone but the execution of that was lacking overall given the rest of the story.

Forces was just, man, I dunno what happened there. It's like they forgot how to write him - or maybe it's a consequence of the game predominantly being written by two new Japanese writers with the western ones taking a bit of a backseat.

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
I was actually going to go with the OP's pick, fantastic choice.

Fumie Kumatani and Mariko Nanba back on a soundtrack again would be a dream come true. Seeing them both gone from Sonic soundtracks post Colors was a real shame.
I really love Sonic the Hedgehog soundtracks, but this is the first I'm learning about these women and their presence on Sonic's history! The iTunes releases of the OST only credits Jun Senoue and SEGA as the artists. Looking at their discographies, they're absolutely amazing!

Oct 25, 2017
I really love Sonic the Hedgehog soundtracks, but this is the first I'm learning about these women and their presence on Sonic's history! The iTunes releases of the OST only credits Jun Senoue and SEGA as the artists. Looking at their discographies, they're absolutely amazing!
That's really weird, considering that the Spotify releases credit the individual artists.

EDIT: nevermind, Adventure really does only credit Senoue. That's really odd.

Last edited:

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
How are they story and voice acting bad it's a children's game with entertaining voices and a simple story that was engaging to kids.
Cop out. If you are gonna put that much dialogue in a game it better be good. I thought most of SA2 voice acting was good so they improved but it still has the fatal flaw of being written/directed by people who didn't speak English natively. (And voice syncing)

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Expected some nonsense other than Crazy Robo and got... Crazy Robo. Good shit, OP.

Adventure 2 followed up on Tails' arc pretty nicely. He really earned himself some autonomy while also being able to accomplish something Sonic couldn't do at the time (beat Eggman). He still operated mostly alongside Sonic, but they made a point in the first act to show him having to save Sonic instead, and unlike Adventure, they made a bigger effort to depict him as the group's "tactician".
As much shit as I give Adventure 2, there's some seriously great character moments in it. Probably the best Eggman in particular's been written.