• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The last midnight release I attended was for Smash Wii U + Pokémon ORAS. Store smelled like someone smeared their sweaty underarms over sauerkraut and felt like they were cooking it.

I don't miss them at all, but I do remember the days of Halo launching being an event. Madden and Halo tournaments were held quite often, so that part is missed. Still, I prefer the preload and no odor.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
The last one I went to was for God of War 3. They had cool merchandise to give away, some cosplay, and I got to meet people face to face that I had only known through forums and internet. You imagine how people would look like based on their forum name and DP, and in reality they (obviously) look completely different. It was pretty cool.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i was first in line at the Red Dead Redemption launch

i was buying Alan Wake

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
They were fun when I was 18-23ish but now they're just... ehh, but that's just an age thing and with digital it's almost pointless to even have them. The last one I went to was for Smash 3DS, and honestly it was pretty terrible, and before that was maybe for Pokemon Y? Hell if I remember.

Some were super fun though, most notably Gears of War 2, Halo 3 and Smash Bros Brawl were some of the best gaming related memories I have with my friends in line, making new friends and such.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I went to a midnight event here in Costa Rica to play smash. There was another one for pokemon just a few days ago. I bet midnight events are more of a Nintendo/Console launch date thing now.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Last time I stood in line for a game at midnight was Halo 2. Now, I can just digitally buy it, avoid lines, and play it even before midnight.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For me outside a small selection of titles at pretty much GameStop only. They've been dead for years.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Now you just show up at 12:00 pm, pick up the game/console and leave 10 minutes later.

To be fair, I went to a number of midnight releases and that is always how it went for me. Some had certain sponsored swag and launch frills. Halo 3 and I think WoW Cataclysm are two I recall that had a bit of extra fluff and some added gifts at my local shops. But it didn't change the fact that the moment the doors opened you grabbed your game and left pretty quick.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The first and only one I've done was at a Gamestop with the release of Resident Evil 5 in 2009. It was cold and a little depressing, very low energy. I should have picked it up during the day.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
It was a stupid idea that exploited the hype the industry itself created to basically just mess up everyone's sleep patterns.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Saw this before seeing this thread. How fitting. We don't have those in my country but I have always been fascinated by them.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes unexpectedly free goodie bags..

RDR2's central London
JDxOYjb.jpg

6WiXqXS.jpg

9FVMS2M.jpg

vsNWICk.jpg

KHIII - east london
APB6XCB.jpg

uu8xSk8.jpg

Dec 13, 2018
I remember one time I just happen to be up near midnight and decided to go to a release near my house. that night, the foul stench of unwashed and soiled human beings filled the air so thick we ended up leaving empty handed. The smell was pure putrid venom, never smelt anything like it since.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
It's a social event, I still enjoy them. You get to meet like minded people. I went to one for Ace Combat 7.
(Well, not really, it was for some other game, but AC7 came out the same night.)

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I think I only did this once or twice for games. Miss them like hell for movies though.

Deleted member 25448

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Agreed. They suck. People stink, literally. What's the point when everything is online nowadays? You can get it delivered. You can stream. You can download. Why bother going and waiting in-line is beyond me.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Idk why people are like good riddance. It's not like you needed to go. I enjoyed every single one I went to.