• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Thank you! Someone gets what I've been trying to say! I am not against putting in new characters but I am not down with messing with established plot just to please a singular segment of society.

And yes I am in for an Uncharted with some fresh new faces, as long as it's less Pirates of The Caribbean (copy pasting character types with new faces) and more Walking Dead (building original characters in the same story-verse). Though Uncharted with young Sully would be just as awesome.

You had been putting those words in people's mouths the whole thread(then insulting their reading comprehension). No one is asking for established characters to BECOME minorities. Everyone(including me) is saying that there should be more characters CREATED as minorities, and I further stated that the majority of modern AAA games wouldn't have to change the story a bit, because it's not geared toward the protagonist being a specific race. Having Alexios/Kassandra in AC Odyssey, or Ezio be black or Thai or Indian would be terrible. Aiden Pearce or Joel or Nathan Drake would not. FROM THE START Mr./Mrs. Reading Comprehension.

Noob Pilot

Jun 10, 2018
You had been putting those words in people's mouths the whole thread(then insulting their reading comprehension). No one is asking for established characters to BECOME minorities. Everyone(including me) is saying that there should be more characters CREATED as minorities, and I further stated that the majority of modern AAA games wouldn't have to change the story a bit, because it's not geared toward the protagonist being a specific race. Having Alexios/Kassandra in AC Odyssey, or Ezio be black or Thai or Indian would be terrible. Aiden Pearce or Joel or Nathan Drake would not. FROM THE START Mr./Mrs. Reading Comprehension.
I said it twice and I will say it just for you again. I brought up the issue specifically because I came from the GOW thread where the point was brought up multiple times by a very very vocal bunch of people.

Again, your lack of comprehension is not my problem buddy.

Nuri

Jan 4, 2018
I find it weird to see the Rock, Kevin Heart, Will Smith, Michael B Jordan etc. leading the movie industry in blockbuster movies but its risky for games. Hardly any strong narrative heavy games featuring women or diverse leads (a few do exist). It would be nice to have fantasy or Scifi games staring more diverse leads. So much unexplored opportunities in the video game industry.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Huh, really? That's interesting. Was the background story with her as an aristocrat the same?
Going by the bio of Laura Cruz I'm going to say no:
Lara Cruz is a modern day adventurer and procurer of rare artifacts. Lara has PhD in Archaeology and Comparative Mythology from Oxford. She is also a mercenary. Lara's father was a Major in the Special Air Service, and taught Lara everything he knew of combat and survival skills.

Honestly wouldn't mind playing a Tomb Raider/Uncharted spin off with a Laura Cruz character, though I think they'd need to change the name.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
All we'll get are more white women (redheads) and most here will pop champaign declaring victory.

Last edited:

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Goodness sake...do you read the entirety of my posts?To answer your question, once again, yes, i have been reading a lot of people advocating forced narratives.

As I have mentioned I brought up the issue because I just came from the GOW thread I talked about. It's because you seem to gloss over the things I said in my post that makes it sound like you want to paint me out as some bad guy.

Don't do the whole "concerned" act on me friend because I have very accurately laid out my stand on various posts here in this thread.
I am not doing any "concerned" act. Kindly stop reading things that are not there.

I said it twice and I will say it just for you again. I brought up the issue specifically because I came from the GOW thread where the point was brought up multiple times by a very very vocal bunch of people.
No it doesn't. No one is asking for already established characters to suddenly become minorities in the GoW thread. Kindly stop reading things that are not there.

If you wonder why people seem to continuously not getting what you're talking about, it's because you persist in talking about things that doesn't seem to be there. Don't make vague reference about how "a lot of people are definitely talking about it in the GoW thread" then expect to people to know which people or which post are you talking about. That point doesn't magically becomes apparent no matter how many times you say it.

If you could provide a concrete example about how this worry of yours manifests in the game industry, then we could have a baseline for discussion.

Last edited:

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I've always wondered how Mafia 3 did compared to Mafia 2 and other games since it was one of the clearest examples of a very, very different lead and story. I know at one point 2k said it shipped 4.5m copies but was that to stores or users? I assume it did really well but then the franchise kinda... died... and in Feb 2018 2k announced major layoffs at Hanger 13 (the studio) so what happened?

The sales of Prey and Dishonored 2, which were both great games but sold not very well must have had an impact as well.

Mafia 3 did well, but was also very front-loaded.

The reason Hangar 13 went under is detailed by a report on Kotaku. It wasn't because of Mafia 3, but because they spend time prototyping something that 2K ultimately cancelled. Their initial Mafia 4 idea before that other prototype was meant to be Las Vegas - which makes me think it would just be yet another white dude mafia game.

marimo

Oct 25, 2017
You played San Andreas, V, Chinatown Wars and Gay Tony? Even GTA4 comes into this convo as we don't have many games with Balkan protagonists.
No I didn't. I admit I'm not a GTA superfan and lost interest in that IP years ago, but you're gonna cite some handheld games and expansion packs and say Rockstar doesn't have a narrow comfort zone as far as protagonists go? It's not a good look for a developer to consign all their diverse player characters to much lower profile titles. I will grant you San Andreas. GTA4 is like slightly outside the box.

How can a developer go 20 years without being the slightest bit interested in stories about a category of people that comprises over half the world's population though? Is a Rockstar game intrinsically about (generally white) masculinity? I guess if that's what they want, then whatever. Seems kinda stale in 2019 though.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Sekiro's protag Japanese?

Edit: also, sorry, to stay on-topic: i agree mostly with this point:

Getting old franchises with new characters that makes no other sense than to shoehorn cultural or even feminine representation is imo even worse than no representation at all. We need new IPs that represent different cultures from the very beginning.
This is always such a dumb argument. White straight men don't need to justify their inclusion, why do any other demographics? So long as the representation isn't racist, misogynistic or otherwise bigoted or disrespectful of some culture, bring on as many people of colour, women, LGBTQ+ etc people into games as possible. No representation is far worse than having a diverse cast for "no reason".

Nightside

Oct 28, 2017
"Straight white people are well represented. No one is asking for quotas or shoehorned in diversity. People want stories that represent more cultures and traits respectfully. There can't be great diverse stories if you don't go out there and write them, encourage them, and experience them."

For that you need different people working in the studios and the studios themselves to be in different countries, A bunch of americans in San Francisco telling a story about my culture doesn't make me excited for example .

They could always study, make research or, even better, ask for help from someone who actually knows.
It would be cool to see more games inspired and based on legend or hystory from less represented cultures of the world. You want to make a game with a black main character ? Good. But why don't make an African MC? why don't make a game set in Africa and base on an African legend? You don't know much about Africa and it's hystory? I'm pretty sure there are lots of African scholars who would gladly educate about their heritage.

Oh. Am I?

(oh, there are black Italians but that really pisses of a bunch of people here)

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't this thread have been about AAA games from 2018? I mean, we know these aren't all the protagonists from 2019 games, because 2019 hasn't happened yet. There's a decent chance, for example, that Metroid Prime 4 will come out this year, and of course there are completely unannounced titles that will get released. And there are other big games we know are coming out this year that the OP didn't list, like Shenmue 3 and Kingdom Hearts 3; it's hard to list every big game that's going to come out, easier to list ones that have already come out.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
Exact
This is always such a dumb argument. White straight men don't need to justify their inclusion, why do any other demographics? So long as the representation isn't racist, misogynistic or otherwise bigoted or disrespectful of some culture, bring on as many people of colour, women, LGBTQ+ etc people into games as possible. No representation is far worse than having a diverse cast for "no reason".

Exactly, no one says "I'd rather have no white characters in games that have developers make characters white for no reason".

Asmar

Oct 27, 2017
She is Greek, and Greeks are Mediterranean just like the people of the Levant, Berbers, Iberians, Southern Italians and Sicilians, Turks, and Egyptians.

Grouping the people who live around the mediterranean sea as one racial group is one of the weirdest things ever.

They literally have nothing in common, not ethnically, linguistically, culturally or even politically.

Oct 26, 2018
No I didn't. I admit I'm not a GTA superfan and lost interest in that IP years ago, but you're gonna cite some handheld games and expansion packs and say Rockstar doesn't have a narrow comfort zone as far as protagonists go? It's not a good look for a developer to consign all their diverse player characters to much lower profile titles. I will grant you San Andreas. GTA4 is like slightly outside the box.

How can a developer go 20 years without being the slightest bit interested in stories about a category of people that comprises over half the world's population though? Is a Rockstar game intrinsically about (generally white) masculinity? I guess if that's what they want, then whatever. Seems kinda stale in 2019 though.
But GTA5 had a black protagonist, who was an important part of the story

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
I am not doing any "concerned" act. Kindly stop reading things that are not there.

No it doesn't. No one is asking for already established characters to suddenly become minorities in the GoW thread. Kindly stop reading things that are not there.

If you wonder why people seem to continuously not getting what you're talking about, it's because you persist in talking about things that doesn't seem to be there. Don't make vague reference about how "a lot of people are definitely talking about it in the GoW thread" then expect to people to know which people or which post are you talking about. That point doesn't magically becomes apparent no matter how many times you say it.

If you could provide a concrete example about how this worry of yours manifests in the game industry, then we could have a baseline for discussion.

Not worth it. This will be the first time I have ever used ignore. I went back and forth for a whole day with him/her and the strawman that they are using as a foundation to insult others. That person literally doesn't want to have a real discussion on the topic, just fight some opinion that posters in another thread supposedly had by attacking members in this one.

Oct 25, 2017
They could always study, make research or, even better, ask for help from someone who actually knows.
It would be cool to see more games inspired and based on legend or hystory from less represented cultures of the world. You want to make a game with a black main character ? Good. But why don't make an African MC? why don't make a game set in Africa and base on an African legend? You don't know much about Africa and it's hystory? I'm pretty sure there are lots of African scholars who would gladly educate about their heritage.

That almost never happens, you end up with stories that are so paternalistic that it would've be better if they have never been made . It has to be studios in the same countries with people from said country making those stories

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Exact

Exactly, no one says "I'd rather have no white characters in games that have developers make characters white for no reason".

This is one of the most distressing things. It can't be said enough that representation DOESN'T NEED TO BE JUSTIFIED. That's basically saying that it's unrealistic that anyone but a white person could live these average lives or go through whatever other situation and is exclusionary as fuck(and borderline racist).

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is one of the most distressing things. It can't be said enough that representation DOESN'T NEED TO BE JUSTIFIED. That's basically saying that it's unrealistic that anyone but a white person could live these average lives or go through whatever other situation and is exclusionary as fuck(and borderline racist).
I'll never forget how weird it was seeing people say they couldn't justify a black protagonist in The Order's fantastical alternate reality but the werewolves were fine.