• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Wouldn't a thread like this be much easier to do looking back at the past year since we already know what all games actually released in 2018?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I love DMC but damn if that DMCV cover isn't priceless: three playable characters, and not only are all three white men, but two of them have white hair. Whitest cover ever, tied with DMC4 that had two white men with white hair. :D

Oct 26, 2018
Can we get some love for the best black protagonist ever to be created ?
Carl "CJ" Johnson
gta-sa-cj-7319-hd-wallpapers.jpg

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like these devs make characters that look like themselves? There should be more diversity in game developers for a start.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love DMC but damn if that DMCV cover isn't priceless: three playable characters, and not only are all three white men, but two of them have white hair. Whitest cover ever, tied with DMC4 that had two white men with white hair. :D
and the other guy's super move is his hair turns white (supremacy) and he becomes BIG powerful

Gotta wonder what kind of message that sends 🤔

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
What was the last great Mexican/Latino character in a videogame?
James Vega? That was 7 years ago.
And say wathever you want but if you are Mexican and you hate James Vega then you hate yourself or a friend.
I say Loco even to my dog and of course i love to mix english and spanish when i'm with my friends, and i fucking love Los huevos rancheros que hace mi abuela.
I'm not the only one, i'm pretty sure of that, we all have a bit of Vega inside of us.
God i love this character, he Is the best character that we have, well, maybe Ramón Rodríguez Is better because he's been here since KOF 98 but thats up to discussion
I just wanted to say that my last name is Vega, thanks Bioware.
images
Miles in Spiderman is half :P

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Let's be real, Japanese people representation has never been a problem in gaming. It's as common as white.

What we need is other Asian representations, like Chinese (they're more common than others), Indian, Arabian, Malayan, etc. They're even more rare than black and Spanish representation.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of people seem to be thinking that OP is trying to make "a point" with the pictures. It looks to me like he's just noting what's out there and leaving it open for discussion. He's not saying any of it is "good" or "bad," but just saying "here it all is in case you wanted to see it." And I appreciate that.

Deleted member 50949

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
I feel fighting games never have this problem nowadays barring anime fighters. They're pretty diverse with a lot of cool characters.

Friendly reminder that if you're looking for a racially and ethnically diverse cast in a game coming out this year, look no further than Indivisible.
Though it's in a fictional world, the parallels are clear. There's like all of two, maybe three (I'm not sure if Vasco is meant to be Latino or a Spaniard) white people. The rest are all PoC.

8a7.jpg

Main character, Ajna, is a brown girl herself.
latest

(Special shoutout to last second addition Ren, the lack of feminine guys in games feels sad to me so always glad to see more!)

It's really a shame no one is really talking about it. I feel like part of it might be that it's from Lab Zero Games, and I feel like the Skullgirls and Indivisible audiences might not overlap so neatly.
I feel people are waiting for the release date since it's been some time when the demo got released. Indivisible has a lot of representation and that was the main intent by Peter I think, so it's great to see that studios like Labzero already moving forward.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I really like what I see here, just totally from a standpoint of games actually looking diverse. Like, each image here tells a different story. 5 years ago every single thing was some white gruff looking dude with a gun walking towards the camera in some style of military gear.

Seven4sses

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
What was the last great Mexican/Latino character in a videogame?
James Vega? That was 7 years ago.
And say wathever you want but if you are Mexican and you hate James Vega then you hate yourself or a friend.
I say Loco even to my dog and of course i love to mix english and spanish when i'm with my friends, and i fucking love Los huevos rancheros que hace mi abuela.
I'm not the only one, i'm pretty sure of that, we all have a bit of Vega inside of us.
God i love this character, he Is the best character that we have, well, maybe Ramón Rodríguez Is better because he's been here since KOF 98 but thats up to discussion
I just wanted to say that my last name is Vega, thanks Bioware.
images

First thing that came to mind was Dominic "Dom" Santiago from Gears of War 1-3. I would say he is good in my books since he wanted to be with his wife and family, even when he made the ultimate sacrifice.

cog_dom_universe_540x540-8d370d84db1c4205a4f8246802632745.jpg

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
It certainly seems as though games have taken a step in the right direction when it comes to diversity. That is the discussion has shifted from getting any diversity ('Women, POC, LBGTQ, anything other than white men') to now poking holes in that diversity ('Wow, so many women protagonists, why not more POC women?). Still much progress to be made but considering the long development times associated with modern games there was always going to be a lengthy lag between demand change and realising it.

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
I'm glad Metro exists. There's really very few Eastern European/Russian protagonists in games so it's good to see the representation there. Russians are often painfully underrepresented, usually appearing only as antagonists, often enemy spies or enemy armies (which definitely doesn't help with the pervasive Russophobic attitudes prevalent in many areas of the press and society at large). Only other "recent" example of a Russian protagonist is Dimitri in CoD:WaW, and that was 11 years ago

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It looks like for the next few years, the industry will be more white female positive for protagonists. Non whites will still be eating scraps off the table for a while to come insofar as western development is concerned.

Overall it is a net positive and I think there is a flexibility of portraying a white characters in whatever light and circumstance that POC characters, due to issues ranging from developer lack of knowledge to social media reception to accidentally stepping on toes, may not be, limiting their scope of being featured.

My favorite cover of 2019 so far:

fcb_keyart-logo-1080_340965.jpg

Nope. Does not qualify. AFAIK neither one is the protagonist.

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
Friendly reminder that if you're looking for a racially and ethnically diverse cast in a game coming out this year, look no further than Indivisible.
Though it's in a fictional world, the parallels are clear. There's like all of two, maybe three (I'm not sure if Vasco is meant to be Latino or a Spaniard) white people. The rest are all PoC.

8a7.jpg

Main character, Ajna, is a brown girl herself.
latest

(Special shoutout to last second addition Ren, the lack of feminine guys in games feels sad to me so always glad to see more!)

It's really a shame no one is really talking about it. I feel like part of it might be that it's from Lab Zero Games, and I feel like the Skullgirls and Indivisible audiences might not overlap so neatly.

First time seeing this game in a while. Loved Skullgirls great fighting game. I love RPG's so this look dope as fuck. The art style is sexy as hell.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
It looks like for the next few years, the industry will be more white female positive for protagonists. Non whites will still be eating scraps off the table for a while to come insofar as western development is concerned.

Overall it is a net positive and I think there is a flexibility of portraying a white characters in whatever light and circumstance that POC characters, due to issues ranging from developer lack of knowledge to social media reception to accidentally stepping on toes, may not be, limiting their scope of being featured.

Nope. Does not qualify. AFAIK neither one is the protagonist.
Dammit, it's still a pleasing cover to see.