• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly fair to count sequels and continuations of games with the same protags (KH3, Last of us 2, DMCV) towards a current lack of diversity.

But there could definitely stand to be some more melanin among AAA game protags. It's cool to see more lady protags headlining games though. So there's progress being made.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What was the last great Mexican/Latino character in a videogame?
James Vega? That was 7 years ago.
And say wathever you want but if you are Mexican and you hate James Vega then you hate yourself or a friend.
I say Loco even to my dog and of course i love to mix english and spanish when i'm with my friends, and i fucking love Los huevos rancheros que hace mi abuela.
I'm not the only one, i'm pretty sure of that, we all have a bit of Vega inside of us.
God i love this character, he Is the best character that we have, well, maybe Ramón Rodríguez Is better because he's been here since KOF 98 but thats up to discussion
I just wanted to say that my last name is Vega, thanks Bioware.
images
Being voiced by someone who couldn't be more of a gringo vanilla face really deflated my reception of this character.
The protagonists for Life Is Strange 2 are Latino. Great? Idk yet as I wait for the game to be complete.
Specifically, they are American of first generation Mexican descent. The game also goes all in on the relevant political baggage that comes with - which I appreciate. Also, their "totem animal" is the wolf... which is a funny coincidence for a Mexican-American with a wolf avatar.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked Watch Dogs 2 protagonist and seeing more women is encouraging.

Which really made me doubt if the people who may be angry at a female lead actually played any of the Gears of War games before. I might be remembering incorrectly, but the female representation was always a strong point in the franchise. Valera, Anya, Bernie and Myrrah, just to mention a few of them.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
More women which is good, but even with all the games others have posted, POC representation is still sorely lacking.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I really liked Watch Dogs 2 protagonist and seeing more women is encouraging.

Which really made me doubt if the people who may be angry at a female lead actually played any of the Gears of War games before. I might be remembering incorrectly, but the female representation was always a strong point in the franchise. Valera, Anya, Bernie and Myrrah, just to mention a few of them.
Yup
Cliffy B about women representation in Gears 3 (and 2) this is from 2011, he was a visionary

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
But aren't they the villains?

I know it's not technically true, but I always consider the bad guys in the Far Cry games to be the proper face of the game considering you don't see yourself. They essentially serve the same purpose (all the marketing is focused on them) as the protag in a game where the protagonist is heavily featured.

If you think about it, how could you do any better in a Far Cry game than make the villains POC? And women! On motorcycles! Can't wait.

Deleted member 47654

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Being voiced by someone who couldn't be more of a gringo vanilla face really deflated my reception of this character.
And what did you expect? the ethnicity of the voice actor doesn't matters, Freddie Prinze has a beatiful voice, one of my dreams is being voice actor, would i be wrong if i dub a white character just because i'm brown?

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And what did you expect? the ethnicity of the voice actor doesn't matters, Freddie Prinze has a beatiful voice, one of my dreams is being voice actor, would i be wrong if i dub a white character just because i'm brown?
Reversing the issue doesn't make it equal. This thread is about representation in games. It's not being considered a good thing to recognize just because. For consistency and real commitment, BW could have gone all the way with a latino VA. On a less serious level, I can't not clown this character when Freddy's yuppie grinning face is what pops in my head when he speaks.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not a much diversity of hair color. Seems mostly brown and black. Is the lady in Control a brunette or redhead? I can't tell. I'm appreciative of Nero and Dante. White isn't blond, but I'll take it.

Oh, I see. So who are these two girls we see in the trailer and art?

The main villains, I believe.

Deleted member 47654

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Reversing the issue doesn't make it equal. This thread is about representation in games. It's not being considered a good thing to recognize just because. For consistency and real commitment BW could have gone all the way with a latino VA. On a less serious level, I can't not clow this character when Freddy's yuppie grinning face is what pops in my head when he speaks.
On a serious level? wtf? why does the voice matters? why? i know Shepard's VA and when he talks i imagine myself talking, not Mark Meer, Freddie Prinze sounds latino, and his voice fits the characters, that's all that matters

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
I was going to suggest Life is Strange 2 for the two Hispanic brothers. Technically started last year but most episodes are this year.

Triggered my memory of a real ugly thread, first time they showed off the protagonist and it was just the saddest thread I've seen on here, there were four groups of angry people; people pissed that it wasn't fronted by gay teenage girls again, be that Chloe & Max or new characters. People just pissed that it was dudes, while assuming their sexuality. People pissed that they picked characters of the wrong racial ethnicity and then people who were basically getting angry at the other groups because two Hispanic leads is still better than the norm and wasn't been appreciated.

Like I said, a shit thread.

CamDeenie

Banned
Nov 20, 2018
User Banned (1 week) Inflammatory Commentary and Piracy
I'm honestly surprised people aren't tired of looking at the same old same old by now. And, it kind of sucks that people view the increase in white girl representation as progression. They always get representation and arguably have the loudest voice in the country at the moment. Oh well, I can always download such games for free if I actually want to play them (except the playstation games, I'll have to buy those used).

NathanS

Dec 5, 2017
I've even heard it used anti-Semitically, to deny Jewish Americans their self-defined whiteness. It is a very charged word. And insofar as you don't really need to use it, don't!

Though also Jewish whiteness is not always self-defined. We can often have a far more, complicated, relationship with whiteness and how putting on us, or taking it from us can often be from outsiders with an agenda.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'm honestly surprised people aren't tired of looking at the same old same old by now. And, it kind of sucks that people view the increase in white girl representation as progression. They always get representation and arguably have the loudest voice in the country at the moment. Oh well, I can always download such games for free if I actually want to play them (except the playstation games, I'll have to buy those used).

1. I'm also surprised people aren't bored by white make protagonists.
2. Women do NOT always get representation, and in no way shape or form do they have the 'loudest' voice in the country unless you're living in some parallel dimension where Hilary won and there's free tampons and women's pants with pockets that can fit actual things in them.
3. ... are you saying you can steal any game you want besides PlayStation games?

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Only 10 games coming out this year, OP? You forgot Ada Wong and TOFU in RE2 :P

I like how you snuck TLOU pt 2 in there in hopes that it releases this year, too!

Here are some more big games slated for 2019, not including titles like Ghost of Tsushima which don't have a release date.

project-judge-sega.jpg

Judgement (slated for 2019 in the West) from Yakuza team

main.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

7-final.jpg

hpKHReCcZK8bWPBjjuiXk3.jpg

(In the Valley of the Gods by Campo Santo - creators of Firewatch)

Someone beat me to Far Cry protagonists. Thought that was cool.

Is there a main protagonist for Crackdown 3? I thought it was that hispanic dude but its really unclear. Terry Crews is in the game, though!

Much like the real world, we have a long way to go, but there is definitely some headway in the right directions.
Wow, I'm liking the increase in female protagonists. That's only one step in the right direction, though. Far Cry: New Dawn is one example of going a step further in said right direction.
Do people realize that the women on the cover are the new antagonists (vilains) and not the protagonists (MC/Hero) in this Far Cry game? :P

For me... it is just nice to see more and more women and more asian representation as protagonists. Can't wait for Sekiro and Ghost of Tsushima (even though GoTsu will likely not come this year).

greenwell

Jan 12, 2018
2. Women do NOT always get representation, and in no way shape or form do they have the 'loudest' voice in the country unless you're living in some parallel dimension where Hilary won and there's free tampons and women's pants with pockets that can fit actual things in them.
CamDeenie isn't wrong about the plethora of white women vs woc though. There are no shortage of white girls in any media, even if they aren't commonly playable (yet) in video games.

Noob Pilot

Jun 10, 2018
Looks good to me. Is this supposed to be a complaint thread or things looking up thread.

Before you bash at me. Most of you probably don't even know my race exist.

Noob Pilot

Jun 10, 2018
And say wathever you want but if you are Mexican and you hate James Vega then you hate yourself or a friend.
I say Loco even to my dog and of course i love to mix english and spanish when i'm with my friends, and i fucking love Los huevos rancheros que hace mi abuela.
I'm not the only one, i'm pretty sure of that, we all have a bit of Vega inside of us.
God i love this character, he Is the best character that we have, well, maybe Ramón Rodríguez Is better because he's been here since KOF 98 but thats up to discussion
images
Isn't Rico latin?

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
i feel like limiting only to AAA (and not even presenting all of them) is kinda bleh plenty of indie and AA games that have a variety of characters from white, black asian, latino etc

plus its january...shouldnt the thread maybe be about 2018 games? since those are all known?

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
images

I normally don't care about the race issues in games but man, if only we could get more Latin American/Hispanic men and women in games, that aren't waking stereotypes. Largest minority population in the US where most games are made and woefully underrepresented positively.

Also, game devs, there are more places in Latin America than Mexico/Puerto Rico/Cuba and more last names than Reyes/Rodriguez.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly fair to count sequels and continuations of games with the same protags (KH3, Last of us 2, DMCV) towards a current lack of diversity.

But there could definitely stand to be some more melanin among AAA game protags. It's cool to see more lady protags headlining games though. So there's progress being made.

Why not? Gears of War, Far Cry and Fire Emblem all seem to have added diversity despite being old franchises.

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Friendly reminder that if you're looking for a racially and ethnically diverse cast in a game coming out this year, look no further than Indivisible.
Though it's in a fictional world, the parallels are clear. There's like all of two, maybe three (I'm not sure if Vasco is meant to be Latino or a Spaniard) white people. The rest are all PoC.

8a7.jpg

Main character, Ajna, is a brown girl herself.
latest

(Special shoutout to last second addition Ren, the lack of feminine guys in games feels sad to me so always glad to see more!)

It's really a shame no one is really talking about it. I feel like part of it might be that it's from Lab Zero Games, and I feel like the Skullgirls and Indivisible audiences might not overlap so neatly.

I came to mention just this! I decided to go on media/information blackout when it came to this game after they revealed a few redesigns. If I remember correctly, Vasco was supposed to be redesigned, but there was a backlash from the fans and instead of throwing away the design, they made Vasco a important background character to the now new character, Latigo (the intended redesign) who seems to have Spanish background:

I few more of the other characters got redesigned as well, receiving mixed reactions from fans, I remember being sad about the Nuna redesign, but I get why they did it to avoid controversy. In turn, I liked the cool new Baozhai look, most people hated it.

One of my most anticipated games this year. in the end I know that ill love it.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Im 100% for more diversity in video games, but a lot of those characters are old as hell, can't expect Leon to be a person of color suddenly, though i would be 100% fine with RE8 having a POC protag, in fact it's about time really, RE7 might have been a good opportunity for that since it took place in a pretty diverse state.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
images
My favorite videogame character, Sombra (Olivia Colomar) from Overwatch. 💜

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Could be better. How about having more non straight character? I dare you name a single AAA with a gay man set protagonist, cause I can only think of AC odyssey

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
Probably one of the reason I'm so disinterested in Days Gone. It's a new Sony IP and they still went with a very generic white male that somehow looks even more generic than the typical white bald marine male.

White man with a bandana is the least inspiring character ever, it's one of the few protagonists that makes me just slide a game all the way to the bottom of my list.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm diggin the makeup of BGaE2's cast. Reminds me of the New Mecca citizens from Chronicles of Riddick.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Could be better. How about having more non straight character? I dare you name a single AAA with a gay man set protagonist, cause I can only think of AC odyssey
Can't really think of any outside of games that give you a blank slate like Mass Effect, New Vegas and Dragon Age.

Jacob from AC Syndicate is allegedly bisexual and there's a lot of subtext to support it.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
The lack of diversity is a problem. This clearly shows the videogames industry is far behind the cinema or the music industry.

When you look at the list of AAA in the OP, it's just disappointing to see such lack of diversity.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I don't quite see the point of this post.

That's a limited selection of games. There are more AAA games coming out too.

Also I think a lot of Anime characters in fictional worlds don't really have a "race" but just light/dark skin tones.

Agreed. I think it'll be better to examine the protagonists of 2018 rather than talk about the ones to that may or may not come out in 2019.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Things are better than they were 10 years ago. Remember when every game protagonist was a comventionally attractive 20-something white dude with dark hair? The dearth of black and brown protagonists is still a bummer though.