• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Also, and I'm sorry if someone finds this offensive, but I would LOVE to see more dark-skinned female leads in ALOT of things...

I can't stand it when content creators opt to go with literally the most racially ambiguous black woman they can think up just so they can "check the block" on black women leads, as if there's some kind of safety range on melanin...

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
I'm a bit unsure at times what we as gamers want.

I never look at things like why is this a boy or a girl or it's a different color of the rainbow.

Are we complaining, because we have not much to do or are we complaining because we have internet access so our voices can be heard by anyone?

In the beginning days we where complaining about the fact that characters had no faces. Then we discussed why there where not much female protagonist in games.
Now we're complaining about the lack of diversity in characters.
After that will we discuss why the character can't have multiple sex changes and have multiple weddings, divorces and so on.

I think this discussion will never end, because when one subject is done another subject will come.

We should be happy that things are changing in the movie and gaming world. You can't get something immediately when it's not done or is taking some time to make. So relax everybody.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Let's turn this around - can you guys name a well-known German outside of Adolf Hitler, maybe Angela Merkel and Heidi Klum? (many Germans would love to see her associated with another country tho).
Ah, a challenge. Ok, off the top of my head: Michael Fassbender, Christoph Waltz, Sebastian Vettel, Michael Schumacher, Hans Zimmer.

I could name more if they don't need to be, you know, still alive: Handel, Liszt, Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Strauss, Wagner, Schumann, Mendelsohn, Einstein, Planck, Gutenberg, Kant, Heisenberg, Marx, Martin Luther, Von Bismarck, Wilhelm II. I may or may not be into classical music.

Also, wasn't Hitler Austrian?

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Reason why I think diversity matters is because games have the ability of putting you in the shoes of someone you aren't in real life, and seeing how they view the world and how it views them.

Many games explored the worlds of white men, but I'd love to see more of the worlds of others.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
After that will we discuss why the character can't have multiple sex changes and have multiple weddings, divorces and so on.

I think this discussion will never end, because when one subject is done another subject will come.

We should be happy that things are changing in the movie and gaming world. You can't get something immediately when it's not done or is taking some time to make. So relax everybody.
So if we're dissatisfied with something, shut up, because this thing that clearly isn't important to you personally could possibly just be due to us having too much time on our hands and an internet connection? Also, we should be grateful that we got the LITTLE that we DID get?...

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
So if we're dissatisfied with something, shut up, because this thing that clearly isn't important to you personally could possibly just be due to us having too much time on our hands and an internet connection? Also, we should be grateful that we got the LITTLE that we DID get?...

If thats what you make out of my post then keep thinking like that.

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, a challenge. Ok, off the top of my head: Michael Fassbender, Christoph Waltz, Sebastian Vettel, Michael Schumacher, Hans Zimmer.

I could name more if they don't need to be, you know, still alive: Handel, Liszt, Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Strauss, Wagner, Schumann, Mendelsohn, Einstein, Planck, Gutenberg, Kant, Heisenberg, Marx, Martin Luther, Von Bismarck, Wilhelm II. I may or may not be into classical music.

Also, wasn't Hitler Austrian?

Good job, but Michael Fassbender is actually Irish as far as I know and Christoph Waltz is definitely Austrian. Einstein didn't have a clear nationality, he spent more time in other countries than in Germany and I don't think that a Jewish person escaping from NAZI-Germany would consider himself a German. Liszt was Hungarian.

Hitler was born in Austria, yes, but he obtained a German passport, spent most of his life-time in Germany and he's deeply connected to German history. I mean Austria can claim him if they want...but I'm not sure why they would do this. Austria gave us Hitler and Moneyboy...it's time to pay them back.

Last edited:

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I never really like these threads that seem to put select high budget games on a pedestal as if they're the only games that exist or matter, it'd be interesting to do some sort of analysis on the two or three hundred games that receive votes on era's game of the year for some sort of broader conclusion on diversity in protagonists as I think it's much more important to support and highlight games which are currently embracing diversity rather than allowing the ones that aren't to define gaming simply because of budgets.
Like I'm looking forwards to a game coming out this year called "Get In The Car, Loser" and it definitely embraces having a diverse cast.

DjIDRKcUcAALXSy-1.jpg

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is, mate. It's frankly insulting that developers or writers (thinking about tv shows or movies) just paste a latinamerican or black face over an old character that was created as a white representation.
It's like saying: "look guys! Remember The Flash? You could be like him! Imagine that? You could be as good as this white male character!"
Why not create a completely new one?

This take stinks.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
If thats what you make out of my post then keep thinking like that.
You literally asked if we're just complaining because we're bored and then went on to say we should just be happy things are changing at all...

And then told us to relax...

Please explain to me the correct thing to "get" out of that post...

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Good job, but Michael Fassbender is actually Irish as far as I know and Christoph Waltz is definitely Austrian. Einstein didn't have a clear nationality, he spent more time in other countries than in Germany and I don't think that a Jewish person escaping from NAZI-Germany would consider himself a German. Liszt was Hungarian.

Hitler was born in Austria, yes, but he obtained a German passport, spent most of his life-time in Germany and he's deeply connected to German history. I mean Austria can claim him if they want...but I'm not sure why they would do this. Austria gave us Hitler and Moneyboy...it's time to pay them back.
Drat, mistakes were made. Tho I'm pretty sure Fassbender's father was German and he was born in Germany too. The rest, fair enough.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Might as well give my two cents. Personally I want to see some more black representation from companies other than Nintendo. I think both western and eastern devs can include black protagonists here and there, oh and give me some Turkish representation while they are at it.

Wait what? You're going to have to receipt that.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Things change because people wish and strive for it. Producers change their contents because consumers make their voice heard, among other things. That's basically what all of these are.

In the beginning days we where complaining about the fact that characters had no faces. Then we discussed why there where not much female protagonist in games.

People will continuously want things to be better. I don't think that's weird in any way. I do, however, find your framing of wishes for better representation as "what crazy things will they think up next?" pretty weird.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Also looking more closely at the background for these characters.

Resident Evil 2: Both US
Metro Exodus: Russian
Sekiro: Japanese
Gears of War: Presumably Hispanic American, voiced by US white woman.
Days Gone: US
Devil May Cry: Kamiya has stated Dante being "british man" to be a key point of the design. As Nero is related to Dante, he's also assumedly Brit. Both voiced by Americans. Somebody more familiar with the franchise and characters can correct me on this though, I'm no expert. And I don't know about V either.
Kingdom Hearts: I don't know if the game references real world at all, but I would assume Sora being Japanese if so. Or their nationality is fictional, again someone who is familiar with the games can clarify this.
The Last of Us: US
Wolfenstein: Their parents are Polish and Jewish-Polish-American.
Control: Presumably US, as she's also voiced by American. And holy shit, had no idea the actor is from the soap opera Bold & Beautiful, got a chuckle out of that.
Ghost of Tsushima: Japanese

So yeah, also in this sense more diversity would be welcomed. A lot of AAA gaming specifically revolves around the US. World is bigger than the US.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Drat, mistakes were made. Tho I'm pretty sure Fassbender's father was German and he was born in Germany too. The rest, fair enough.
That's correct, but he has grown up and lived in Ireland most of his life and I would bet that he thinks in "Irish", which are stronger arguments for his nationality imo. If family background/ genes or being born in Germany makes someone German, Germany could claim half of Hollywood and I wouldn't even count as a German.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
I'm a bit unsure at times what we as gamers want.

I never look at things like why is this a boy or a girl or it's a different color of the rainbow.

Are we complaining, because we have not much to do or are we complaining because we have internet access so our voices can be heard by anyone?

Out of curiosity, what issues in video games do you consider worth discussing? If we applied your concerns to all video game issues it would mean we shouldn't discuss anything at all.

Diversity in games is one of many important topics and we should talk about it and push for progress just like we do with the others.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

I agree that there should be a wide variety of cultures in games OP. But you're selection of 2019 AAA games is piss poor. When you talk about AAA games, but you "forget" about games like Crackdown 3 and Far Cry: New Dawn you kinda miss the mark.
Neither Crackdown 3 not Far Cry have a defined protagonist - it's just a player avatar you choose from many different appearances when you start the game.

Noob Pilot

Jun 10, 2018
What's got you so defensive?
I'm not....and I'm not the only one who is wondering what the OP is implying.

Plus why would I be defensive? I'm Malay, and no I'm not from Malaysia, so I know way better than most people in this forum what it's like to be a minority among minorities.

Diversity is a good thing as long as it isn't shoehorned to fit an agenda or to please the ones who are actually easily offended.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
What? They have so many. Look at Smash.

I get choice paralysis when having to pick between the various options.
I'm still not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. But Nintendo doesn't have a whole lot of black protagonists. They do have some black characters sure, but this thread is specifically about protagonists.
I never really like these threads that seem to put select high budget games on a pedestal as if they're the only games that exist or matter, it'd be interesting to do some sort of analysis on the two or three hundred games that receive votes on era's game of the year for some sort of broader conclusion on diversity in protagonists as I think it's much more important to support and highlight games which are currently embracing diversity rather than allowing the ones that aren't to define gaming simply because of budgets.
Yeah absolutely agreed with this one. There's more to gaming than AAA. Smaller games deserve acknowledgmenet, especially if they are doing right by diversity and representation. More people should be aware of these games and give them a chance. Let's not be dismissive of them.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Devil May Cry: Kamiya has stated Dante being "british man" to be a key point of the design. As Nero is related to Dante, he's also assumedly Brit. Both voiced by Americans. Somebody more familiar with the franchise and characters can correct me on this though, I'm no expert. And I don't know about V either.

Dante and Nero are "European". That's about all we know. V is a mystery, but he's probably the same.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great to see more women appearing as lead characters. But the lack of dark skin tones is striking (not just this year but in basically the entire history of games). I am guessing it's due to some execs saying it won't sell as many copies, but someone has to be the first to take a chance and do it.

Crackdown 3 does feature a black man in marketing but I'm not sure if that's an actual character or a create-a-character.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Great to see more women appearing as lead characters. But the lack of dark skin tones is striking (not just this year but in basically the entire history of games). I am guessing it's due to some execs saying it won't sell as many copies, but someone has to be the first to take a chance and do it.

Crackdown 3 does feature a black man in marketing but I'm not sure if that's an actual character or a create-a-character.
For games that have character creation, framing your marketing around any minorities definitely counts for something too. It's not like there hasn't been lack of diversity also in advertisement. And giving the player options to create a character they can identify with, isn't a strike against the game. The character creator can be lacking though, like has happened many times with low selection of different skin tones and especially black hairstyles.
You cant play as the women in farcry? The trailer was confusing but i thought it was some sort of anti hero plot or something
Tried to find info about it, I also think the women in the trailer are supposed to be the antagonists. Was bit surprised that when trying to look info about this, the first link was a complaint of Far Cry 5 having too much black people in it. I get the criticism for lack of Native Americans. But honestly didn't expect "too much black people" to be a problem. https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/paxwzg/wait-why-are-there-so-many-black-people-in-far-cry-5

Last edited:

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not....and I'm not the only one who is wondering what the OP is implying.

Plus why would I be defensive? I'm Malay, and no I'm not from Malaysia, so I know way better than most people in this forum what it's like to be a minority among minorities.

Diversity is a good thing as long as it isn't shoehorned to fit an agenda or to please the ones who are actually easily offended.

Why is it a bad thing when it's "shoehorned to fit an agenda" or "please the ones who are easily offended"?

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem

I assume you're Dutch bread. So name me please one Dutch character who is the main character in a Triple A game.

You literally asked if we're just complaining because we're bored and then went on to say we should just be happy things are changing at all...

I'm 30 and have never seen a Azerbaycani protagonist in games.
Why do I not hear you talk about the fact that
Out of curiosity, what issues in video games do you consider worth discussing? If we applied your concerns to all video game issues it would mean we shouldn't discuss anything at all.

Diversity in games is one of many important topics and we should talk about it and push for progress just like we do with the others.

Because some people like me are in minority we never discuss for example. (I'm Turkish and Dutch)

Why do aliens in games never attack Turkey?
Why is there no Turkish main protagonist in Triple A game?
Why are Turks mostly the bad guys in games.
Why is there no Triple A game with a Turkish city (Please don't come up with Driv3r)
Why do we have no Turkish anti-terrorist squad in Rainbow?

Everybody here has their opinion and want to discuss stuff. I could make a thread about these subjects, but the chance that it might bother someone is not that big I think as we don't have much Turkish people on here.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For games that have character creation, framing your marketing around any minorities definitely counts for something too. It's not like there hasn't been lack of diversity also in advertisement. And giving the player options to create a character they can identify with, isn't a strike against the game. The character creator can be lacking though, like has happened many times with low selection of different skin tones and especially black hairstyles.
Oh for sure, it's definitely a nice thing to see. I think it's not to the same level as a committed character though. I'd like for more AAA games to feature a black "real" character that audiences have to commit to for a full story.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
I'm still not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. But Nintendo doesn't have a whole lot of black protagonists. They do have some black characters sure, but this thread is specifically about protagonists.

Has Nintendo ever had a game where you have to play as a black protagonist? I can't think of one.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah absolutely agreed with this one. There's more to gaming than AAA. Smaller games deserve acknowledgmenet, especially if they are doing right by diversity and representation. More people should be aware of these games and give them a chance. Let's not be dismissive of them.

Definitely being sarcastic.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of people missing the forest for the trees with "these are established franchises, what'd you expect from them" should be more disappointing to me than it is.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
Because some people like me are in minority we never discuss for example. (I'm Turkish and Dutch)

Why is there no Triple A game with a Turkish city (Please don't come up with Driv3r)

Everybody here has their opinion and want to discuss stuff. I could make a thread about these subjects, but the chance that it might bother someone is not that big I think as we don't have much Turkish people on here.[/QUOTE]

I think those are points worth discussing and you are more than welcome to do so.

I certainly don't think that people would only ask those questions if they had nothing better to do or it would that in the future they are going to demand games where Dutch and Turkish people get married and divorced.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
I'm going back to Quiet Man. Success with the discussions.

Why don't you make a thread about why are 99,8% of all terrorists in games muslims and 85% of them come from the middle east.

You won't make one, because it's not your cup of tea.

Well.. there's Dutch.. ;)

I can't think of anyone right now. Why?

Because we don't have any thats why so what I mean the whole time we can discuss about anything.

Also Dutch is not the main character SugarBread.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017

Everybody here has their opinion and want to discuss stuff. I could make a thread about these subjects, but the chance that it might bother someone is not that big I think as we don't have much Turkish people on here.

I think those are points worth discussing and you are more than welcome to do so.

I certainly don't think that people would only ask those questions if they had nothing better to do or it would that in the future they are going to demand games where Dutch and Turkish people get married and divorced.