• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
this_is_us_tv_series-679172651-large.jpg

p14273615_b_v8_aa.jpg

(Posters are moderately more saccharine than the show.)

Network: NBC
Airs: Tuesdays at 9 PM EST
RT: 91%
MC: 76
Official Site with Full Episodes: http://www.nbc.com/this-is-us
Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Is_Us_(TV_series) (major spoilers as soon as you click)

Milo Ventimiglia as Jack
Mandy Moore as Rebecca
Sterling K. Brown as Randall
Chrissy Metz as Kate
Justin Hartley as Kevin
Susan Kelechi Watson as Beth
Chris Sullivan as Toby
Ron Cephas Jone as William Hill

Premise: a show about a bunch of people who were born on the same day of the year.

Accolades: The series has received positive reviews since its premiere, receiving nominations for Best Television Series – Drama at the 74th Golden Globe Awards and Best Drama Series at the 7th Critics' Choice Awards, as well as being chosen as a Top Television Program by the American Film Institute. The cast has received accolades, with Mandy Moore and Chrissy Metz receiving Golden Globe nominations for Best Supporting Actress, and Sterling K. Brown receiving a SAG nomination for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series. In 2017, the series received ten Emmy nominations, including Outstanding Drama Series with Brown winning for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series.

Creator: Dan Fogelman, of Tangled, The Guilt Trip (super underappreciated flick IMO), and a bunch of other stuff. Also the creator of FOX's show Pitch, which was canceled even though it was rad.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend got me hooked on this show and now I've got some coworkers and other friends hooked too. Such an addictive show, and the characters are fantastic. Even the characters I don't like as much are characters who are pretty relatable overall.

Big Three!

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend got me hooked on this show and now I've got some coworkers and other friends hooked too. Such an addictive show, and the characters are fantastic. Even the characters I don't like as much are characters who are pretty relatable overall.

Big Three!

Big Three! Glad to hear you're digging it. It's an infectiously emotional show and I've found the same, it's definitely easy to recommend to others.
BTW, when you say characters you don't like, we're referring to someone with a four letter name starting with 'T' and ending with 'oby', right?

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Lol! I don't mind Toby, though he does seem a bit...much sometimes. There's no way I could be as understanding and patient as him. This show has definitely got my eyes dusty a few times. Jack and William are both fantastic. Honestly I'm not a huge fan of Kevin, but I can relate a lot to his struggles (I mean, not the ones involving being wealthy and famous but just on a personal level re: family interactions etc. lol).

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the first season despite its flaws but I'm catching myself not really looking forward all that much to new episodes anymore. The actors are all doing a great job and the show definitely still has its moments but I think the formula is starting to wear a little thin on me; the "mysteries" and twists feel a bit forced. Maybe ditching the flashbacks would improve things?

Not a great fourth or whatever post, I know -- sorry about that! Wish we had gotten another season of Pitch though.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I can admit being slightly underwhelmed so far into S2, but I think I may have felt the same way had I watched S1 a week at a time. Netflix has changed the way I consume content for better or worse. Weekly the mysteries feel forced and stretched out, but as a full season things move along at a good pace.

I also don't care for Rebecca that much...am I alone in that?

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Lol! I don't mind Toby, though he does seem a bit...much sometimes. There's no way I could be as understanding and patient as him. This show has definitely got my eyes dusty a few times. Jack and William are both fantastic. Honestly I'm not a huge fan of Kevin, but I can relate a lot to his struggles (I mean, not the ones involving being wealthy and famous but just on a personal level re: family interactions etc. lol).

I liked the first season despite its flaws but I'm catching myself not really looking forward all that much to new episodes anymore. The actors are all doing a great job and the show definitely still has its moments but I think the formula is starting to wear a little thin on me; the "mysteries" and twists feel a bit forced. Maybe ditching the flashbacks would improve things?

Not a great fourth or whatever post, I know -- sorry about that! Wish we had gotten another season of Pitch though.

I can admit being slightly underwhelmed so far into S2, but I think I may have felt the same way had I watched S1 a week at a time. Netflix has changed the way I consume content for better or worse. Weekly the mysteries feel forced and stretched out, but as a full season things move along at a good pace.

I also don't care for Rebecca that much...am I alone in that?

I think Kevin can be grating at times for sure, yeah. Jack and William were two faves. I like Randall a lot and relate to his inner struggle in some ways. I think the depiction of his relationship to Kevin has been a high point for the show. I think in general bremon I feel similarly about bingewatching vs. week to week watching but for shows where I watch them weekly to begin with (like this one) I have an easier time with it. It's a double edged sword though because when nothing happens you don't get to zip to the next episode, but on the other hand if you're in good suspense over something you get to stay in suspense. I guess it depends on the show.

I think S2 started a bit rough, and didn't feel enough like a new season, new story which is my personal preference for serialized TV shows. But I've been pleased with the last couple episodes. They're moving the modern story in some new directions. The flashbacks often don't have too much new to say, though, and the twisty mysteries are often the low point of the show to me, though I liked the one at the end of the most recent episode since it promises character development more than some other twists have felt like to me.

As a side note, I feel like the show needs to keep its characters in the same city. It's most interesting to see them all interacting and Kate is still off in LA in Tobyville so she feels too separated from the other characters to me. And, they raced through a lot of plot lines last season with her that didn't go anywhere: assistant/mentor the boss's daughter, exercise camp, exercise camp guy, etc.

Very glad to see I'm not alone in feeling like Pitch got struck out too quickly. That show had a lot of potential. Funnily enough just like this show it went to the "family twist" well sometimes, which the writer also did in one of his movies, Crazy Stupid Love.

Oh, about Rebecca, I like her in the flashbacks, she hasn't been given nearly enough plot in the modern story so she tends to be a story obstacle more than anything. I wish they were a little more interested in telling her modern day story. Sometimes in the flashbacks she doesn't get a lot of character development though because she gets relegated to the role of correcting Jack.

#Paging Linkura so I won't be alone in here in my Toby annoyance, haha.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I totally agree with regards to Kate, they don't seem to know what direction they want to take the character, though maybe the aimless wandering is important to her character development.

Randall is an incredible character and his story is one of the most engaging parts of the show.

Rebecca in the present seems like a boogie man for the kids, while in the past comes across at times like a spoiled brat. I'm coming around on her now that we see less lionizing of Jack and see that he has many flaws as well (though he is still awesome).

Also, big shoutout to Pilgrim Rick. Felt great for Miguel in that episode and the pep talk Miguel gives Kevin, then Kevin supporting Randall. That hit me man .

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I totally agree with regards to Kate, they don't seem to know what direction they want to take the character, though maybe the aimless wandering is important to her character development.

Randall is an incredible character and his story is one of the most engaging parts of the show.

Rebecca in the present seems like a boogie man for the kids, while in the past comes across at times like a spoiled brat. I'm coming around on her now that we see less lionizing of Jack and see that he has many flaws as well (though he is still awesome).

Also, big shoutout to Pilgrim Rick. Felt great for Miguel in that episode and the pep talk Miguel gives Kevin, then Kevin supporting Randall. That hit me man .

Yeah, that was a highlight episode for sure. When the show is firing on all cylinders it really hits it out of the park.
Randall is my favorite character for sure. I thought the first couple eps this season had some forced fighting with Beth that seemed unrealistic to the characters, especially given the timeline of events but at least they're on board with each other now.
As to Kate, even if aimless wandering is important to character development, I have a hard time with that unless it's told super interestingly and it feels more like dropped plot lines that didn't work and less like intentional aimlessness to me but like...I guess I just don't have the patience for that style of character development unless they make the journey itself a lot more interesting than it has been.
BTW, Kate's comment to her mother a couple eps ago "you used to sing?" holy crap we gasped. That was brutal.

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
That scene was so good. Haven't seen the latest episode yet though but Kevin spiralling out is going to be rough

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
As to Kate, even if aimless wandering is important to character development, I have a hard time with that unless it's told super interestingly and it feels more like dropped plot lines that didn't work and less like intentional aimlessness to me but like...I guess I just don't have the patience for that style of character development unless they make the journey itself a lot more interesting than it has been.
BTW, Kate's comment to her mother a couple eps ago "you used to sing?" holy crap we gasped. That was brutal.
Yep, I was just thinking out loud, I'm definitely not a proponent of that sort of "plot development" and it does seem more like writers throwing things at the wall seeing what will stick.

Deleted member 412

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone was worried this episode wasn't going to be a tearjerker like every single other episode, you can rest easy knowing this episode will, yes indeed, bring out those tears.

No, but really. Best episode so far this season.

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I binged the first season and really enjoyed it. Rebecca is not my favorite but I like her character for what it is. I feel like they made Jack overly perfect (it almost got kind of obnoxious to me before they started rolling back on it) compared to Rebecca who feels a lot more realistic in comparison.The only character that really bothers me is Toby. His character just...rubs me the wrong way overall and nothing about him feels genuine when it comes to his relationship with Kate.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
The deification of Jack makes complete sense though when that's a common thing for people to do when loved ones die. People pass away and all of their positive traits tend to be magnified and flaws minimized in hindsight through rose tinted glasses.

Young Randall's costume had me in stitches. His hair completed the look.

Also, of note, is that despite Kevin being a self-centred jackass, we get to see that he's apparently moving in the right direction because in his 20s he was a trash tier friend. Good to know.

Also, having an episode seemingly focused on Rebecca reeeeally went a long way with me to making her likeable and relatable. Plus seeing that her making contact with Miguel is a relatively recent development makes me like them as a couple a bit more.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
stenbumling bremon
You were both right, that was a highlight episode for sure. I would be really interested to follow the characters in this time period again. Kevin, you cad. Oy. It was great to see an older Rebecca subplot and we were both very surprised Miguel getting together with her was so recent. We''d always assumed he swooped in soon after Jack's death. If that sounds crass that's because we had an impression of him as crass, haha. He was crass back in the day so we assumed that had continued. So it's an interesting development for sure. As you said, Kevin is moving in the right direction. I'm wondering where the painkiller subplot with him will go. And all the Halloween stuff was excellent.

yunbuns Glad to have you at the anti-Toby party.

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The deification of Jack makes complete sense though when that's a common thing for people to do when loved ones die. People pass away and all of their positive traits tend to be magnified and flaws minimized in hindsight through rose tinted glasses.

I'm not talking about Jack post-death though. In all of the flashback scenes, outside the drinking subplot, he's always portrayed as Mr. Perfect while the writers seem to go out of their way to make Rebecca seem as flawed as possible in comparison. It happened in the Halloween episode too and at this point I find it annoying.

yunbuns Glad to have you at the anti-Toby party.

Yeah, he always seems to...expect something in return just for being nice to Kate which is just weird.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, he always seems to...expect something in return just for being nice to Kate which is just weird.

Yep! Our thoughts exactly. He's always pushy or doing the opposite of what she asks, too. I guess one okay-ish moment with him was when he went with Rebecca to Kate's show but that's all that's coming to mind at the moment....

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
stenbumling bremon
As you said, Kevin is moving in the right direction. I'm wondering where the painkiller subplot with him will go.
I expect further parallels to be drawn between Jack's addiction issues, Kevin's budding addiction issues, and his girlfriend whose name escapes me to stand by him like Rebecca apparently did for Jack, and for Rebecca to bond further with Kevin over those issues potentially. Either way, Kevin pushing himself like he is superman is supremely stupid, typical Manny behaviour lol.

I'm not talking about Jack post-death though. In all of the flashback scenes, outside the drinking subplot, he's always portrayed as Mr. Perfect while the writers seem to go out of their way to make Rebecca seem as flawed as possible in comparison. It happened in the Halloween episode too and at this point I find it annoying.

Both of your points are true, but I think we will see the layers of the onion peel back in flashbacks with regards to Jack.

Regarding Toby...there is a definite sense of "I'm nice to you so you should worship me" that emanates from him but I could be reading him wrong. I liked him initially but that's waning quickly.

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man that was rough to watch... I'm glad he didn't do anything illegal at least, they teased that angle so many times. Goddamn though... Hope he catches some kind of break emotionally during the season.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
That episode being so Kevin-centric was a turnoff for me. The guy needs a therapist, plain and simple, and there's no shame in going to one. Kevin makes stupid decisions, seemingly realizes he's making them as he makes them, and continues down that path anyway. He's self-centred and mopey despite money, fame, and opportunity, which makes the damaged goods aspect of his character more difficult to empathize with. Maybe I just need to think on the episode more but those are my initial impressions.

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah some of his pain comes off somewhat...manufactured? He's shown to be somewhat of an asshole even when he was younger so it's hard to feel sorry for him. It also feels like the first season was Randall's 'season' and now they're making this season more Kevin centric to me (Justin aiming for that Emmy I guess).

Also I'm sure Kate losing the baby was supposed to be this heartbreaking moment...but I didn't really care.

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
I have to admit it didn't do much for me either but I think losing a baby is a very personal thing and it makes it really difficult to relate if one hasn't had the experience themselves or from someone in their close circle. Considering the amount of women who watches the show, I'm guessing it probably hit a chord for them.

I'm glad they resolved their difficulties in one episode though. What Kate said to Toby was a real dick move and I'm glad the writers made the character realize that quickly.

Deleted member 412

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last couple of episodes have been really strong. Definitely looking forward to the Randall (easily the best character and actor) episode.

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I really don't think I would like this show as much as I do without Randall and Sterling's acting.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
The baby thing at the end of last week's episode was a well deserved slap in the face for Kevin though; it's like "Hey asshole; wake up. Life isn't all about you. Everyone has problems. Be a better person."

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
You could relate with Kevin at first but the way he's spiraling is just depressing. I think they've made the characters seems abit stupid because the way he is, you should know something is up. I know it's not cool to push and it's better for the person to open up to you but still damn. It's their brother for gods sake!

Randall's story was just great. His scenes with Jack really hit the spot.

After this series of events, hard to believe, Kate is actually the one that's in the best place right now

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
oh love the new episode , but I think the show is really missing randall's birth dad
love the new kid already , he's adorable

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
bump bump
more people should try this show

2nd season is a little meandering , it's missing randall's dad a bit

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
bump bump
more people should try this show

2nd season is a little meandering , it's missing randall's dad a bit
Yeah, this season is all right.

My wife had a good question after last night's episode, though:

What was the point of the whole "I want to restart Big Three Homes" if they never got it off the ground and Jack just died? My wife thinks maybe Rebecca tries to start it on her own afterwards? I don't know but it was a weird tangent if Jack just dies now.

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this season is all right.

My wife had a good question after last night's episode, though:

What was the point of the whole "I want to restart Big Three Homes" if they never got it off the ground and Jack just died? My wife thinks maybe Rebecca tries to start it on her own afterwards? I don't know but it was a weird tangent if Jack just dies now.
I think it could be Kevin's next calling.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
New episode tomorrow night after the Superbowl. And another two days later on the 6th.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
How did I not find this OT before? I swear I searched, but maybe didn't limit it to titles. I made my own thread about how great it is.

This is probably my favourite show on TV right now, and the same was true last year.

I didn't know it was airing after the Super Bowl until I saw a commercial during Dateline, so I'm glad I found out. I had Tuesday's episode saving (it's awesome there'll be two 'this week'), and set Sunday's to as well. Since the game will probably go late, I have This is Us set to record from 10:15pm EST to 1:15am.

Can't wait

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
TheBeardedOne I saw your thread was very glad to see the appreciation for this show. I think I posted the OT link in there but it must have gotten lost in the shuffle. Glad you're looking forward to the upcoming eps. (BTW, it's surprisingly difficult to find this thread. I searched here and on Google and because of the generic words in the title I couldn't find it. Ultimately had to go into my profile and search my previous threads.)

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Just a bump to remind there's a new episode after the Super Bowl tonight.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Man, that episode. Moore was great. I didn't cry, but maybe could've -- just kind of sat there stunned. Jack's such a great character, and Milo killed it in that episode too.

That bait and switch at the end, too...

Vargas

Oct 27, 2017
I love my dog, but I can't say I would go back for him even if my daughter wanted me to.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I think I'd go back for my cat, but I don't have much regard for myself anyways and he's one of the only things that gives my life meaning.

Obviously that was the wrong move by Jack, but his worst fear is disappointing his kids.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So... many... emotions! ;_;

Love this show. It has so much heart and is so heavy with sentimentality yet it somehow never feels forced.