• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
EI08baGVAAAUOq9

This was captured by a passenger on a commercial flight over the North East Coast of New South Wales Australia, which is currently burning across thousands of hectares of dry, arid bushland in 100 degree Fahrenheit heat. There has been little to no sustained rainfall in the region for months.

350 Koalas (an endangered species) are believed to have perished when a nationally significant Sanctuary went up in smoke:

Green New Deal now.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It's been said on the news here that some of these fires have possible been purposely lit as well which just makes me even more fucking angry.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yeah, it's fucked up. Woke up today with plans to go to the beach, opened the window and I was like "the fuck, weather forecast said it would be sunny". Hours later, the thick fog persisted. Turns out it was (and still is) smoke. Queenslander here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's fucked up. Woke up today with plans to go to the beach, opened the window and I was like "the fuck, weather forecast said it would be sunny". Hours later, the thick fog persisted. Turns out it was (and still is) smoke. Queenslander here.
Wait, it took you hours to figure out that the fog outside was smoke after you opened the window? That's nuts. We have fires up and down SoCal and I can tell that something's on fire long before the smoke is even visible from here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I realize it sounds stupid but the Media should be running footage of koalas since it might actually make some boomers give a shit. Eventually NASA is going to capture more than two of these scale events in a visible shot from space and it's going to be an important visual moment in history.

and we knew for decades and just let corporations and governments do nothing.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I can already imagine the discussion on whether it's really unethical or not to deny the climate refugees dying on our doorstep.
This is what terrifies me the most about climate change.
We've proven we'll turn people away at the door for conflicts we're directly or indirectly responsible for. Does anyone think we won't just because areas of the world become uninhabitable for humans?

OP
OP
Umbrella Carp

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
This is what terrifies me the most about climate change.
We've proven we'll turn people away at the door for conflicts we're directly or indirectly responsible for. Does anyone think we won't just because areas of the world become uninhabitable for humans?

It's going to happen, and it's going to be essentially genocidal.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
The climate refugee turning away stuff is already kind of happening. Scott Morrison and the Pacific Forum from earlier in the year is a fairly good example of Australian leaders just really, openly not giving a shit.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Same. I'm in a highrise near the beach on the GC in QLD and it's smoky as fuck.

Nov 14, 2017
Wait, it took you hours to figure out that the fog outside was smoke after you opened the window? That's nuts. We have fires up and down SoCal and I can tell that something's on fire long before the smoke is even visible from here.
Not in the same state as that poster, but a couple of weeks ago we had a situation where wind direction and geography distributed persistent smoke haze all along the coast, up to hundreds of kilometres from any actual fires. Looked very similar to sea mist or fog (at least for those of us who aren't meteorologists), no real smoke scent, occuring in the same places that mist/fog would etc...
I realize it sounds stupid but the Media should be running footage of koalas since it might actually make some boomers give a shit. Eventually NASA is going to capture more than two of these scale events in a visible shot from space and it's going to be an important visual moment in history.

and we knew for decades and just let corporations and governments do nothing.

I'd imagine this and the fires in California would both be visible atm.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd imagine this and the fires in California would both be visible atm.

CA is calm and non-incendiary at the moment. Give us a couple weeks and we'll see what happens.

All things considered they did a bang up job in Southern California this year. Hit the fires hard and fast.. Kept the borrowed Canuck planes in the air whenever possible.. It was about as much a non event as it could be I think. Hopefully they keep that level of vigilance going forward.

Nov 14, 2017
CA is calm and non-incendiary at the moment. Give us a couple weeks and we'll see what happens.

All things considered they did a bang up job in Southern California this year. Hit the fires hard and fast.. Kept the borrowed Canuck planes in the air whenever possible.. It was about as much a non event as it could be I think. Hopefully they keep that level of vigilance going forward.
Good to hear. Shows what I know! There are a lot of agitations coming from within the Australian firefighting community for more investment in aerial capability; the government has ruled out any conversion of military craft like is being done in the US.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good to hear. Shows what I know! There are a lot of agitations coming from within the Australian firefighting community for more investment in aerial capability; the government has ruled out any conversion of military craft like is being done in the US.

Yeah I saw at least 2 CH-47 Chinook conversions flying around this last time. There is also a C-130 conversion flying around here somewhere.

The big "Super Scoopers" are on loan from Canada. Not sure why CA doesn't buy their own at this point. There are also a number of airline jet conversions that drop the fire retardant. They did a really good job this time slowing the fires progress.

For CA it's the timing really. If the fire gets going before the planes/etc can get airborne, it can get out of control fast. But CA is so big you can't cover the whole state 'just in case' so it's tough. Also a lot of the airborne assets can't fly at night, so that's usually when the fires spread the worst.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
There have been signs for ages, unfortunately it'll probably take more to convince people it's an actual crisis.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
I'm delighted and satisfied by the prominent place the climate crisis is taking in the UK general election discussion. World leaders over here.

(S, for reference)

Guddha

Sep 5, 2019
Mankind's legacy will not be weighed in what we've created but in what we've erased from the world.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
Until people start to lose their lives in developed countries, nothing meaningful will happen. Things burning is just a "meh" to most people.

I think what people don't quite appreciate is that even if we focus on this problem we are likely not to make anything better. We are merely just aiming to not make it worse. So waiting for people to lose lives in developed countries is way too late.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Super frustrating how we'd taken the first steps and passed Carbon Pricing and made significant moves to go to a renewables economy and then one election in 2013 results in it all being undone and then everything taken backwards by further support for coal and a war on renewables. Then no matter how awful and incompetent they are, they simply keep getting elected.

At least Americans can somewhat blame their shithouse electoral system; ours is very good, it's just our voters are utter crap.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
'The caravan' scare was a dry run for that

Yeah, people really need to connect the dots on this one. The "intellectual" end of white nationalists have been all in on ecofascism for many years now. It's just about standard in Europe. Steve Bannon was literally working with the Trump administration at one point and clearly still has ties.

There are fully-formed, extremely horrifying answers on the right for climate change. Similar to how the right has its own critiques of capitalism that are coming through on Tucker Carlson's show every night, the left doesn't necessarily have a monopoly on topics that many people think of as "leftist worries".

It isn't just going to be talk radio goofballs denying the existence of rising global temps anymore. The state department has projections for where mass migrations are likely to be triggered by climate disasters. You think right wingers in government aren't seeing that stuff? There's a reason they pivoted hard from boosting unfettered neoliberalism and global trade to suddenly fretting over throwing out as many brown people as possible. There's a reason they've spent the last several years rapidly expanding networks of concentration camps and mass deportation methods.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Exactly. A child seeing nothing but destruction on the horizon on a once beautiful landscape.
A portent of what's to come.

'The caravan' scare was a dry run for that

More than a dry run I would say. The refugees at the border are essentially already climate refugees. This was like a beta run ahead of the launch party once the 30s roll around (maybe within the next decade honestly).
Migration to the United States from Honduras and its neighboring "northern triangle" countries — El Salvador and Guatemala — has climbed in recent years. The reasons are complex, including poverty, unemployment and violence. But the increase in migration also coincides with the drought, which began in 2014, and those living in Central America's so-called dry corridor, which is adjacent to El Rosario, say lack of food is the primary reason people leave, according to a United Nations report.

Last summer, the Honduran government declared an emergency because of food shortages, joining governments in El Salvador and Guatemala, which issued similar alerts. Almost 100,000 families in Honduras and 2 million people across the region lacked adequate food. Making matters worse, a pathogen that scientists believe is worsened by climate change has ravaged the country's coffee plantations, which means that migrant farm laborers who count on the coffee harvest for income can't find work.

Researchers and international aid workers say that for Honduran family farmers, like those in El Rosario, to survive, they need support to adjust to the climate's rapid changes, including instruction in planting drought-resistant crops and help conserving water.
Like many poor, developing countries, Honduras has contributed relatively little to the greenhouse gas emissions heating the planet. Yet it is one of the places most vulnerable to climate change's effects, according to the U.S. Agency for International Development.

From 1998 to 2017, Honduras was among the three most weather-battered countries in the world, largely because of the devastation wrought by Hurricane Mitch in 1998.

The "dry corridor," which stretches from southern Mexico to Panama and includes about half of Honduras, has seen some years with up to 40 percent less rain than normal, interspersed with years of heavy rainfall that washes out crops. Western Honduras is predicted to become a climate "hot spot," or an area that sees relatively more intense effects of climate change, with greater temperature increases than the rest of Central America. These shifts could challenge the Honduran agriculture industry, which employs almost one-third of the population.
Climate change, when layered onto a mix of economic instability, violence and weak governance, can become fuel — a threat multiplier that could aggravate Honduras' vulnerabilities, leaving people little choice but to flee. Already, immigration analysts note that roughly half the adults apprehended at the U.S. border work in agriculture, underscoring the precarious nature of their lives at home. The World Bank projects that almost 4 million people from Central America and Mexico could become climate migrants by 2050.

And it will of course continue to get worse. Many people still view climate change as this 2100 problem and that we have plenty of time to course correct and even if we don't, it's truly not a "real big" problem because scientists tend to overhype. And it's not just uneducated deplorables saying this nor fossil fuel industry execs who claim this - I see the same sentiment on this very board in a majority of climate change related topics, at least the ones that go beyond 2 pages.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Until people start to lose their lives in developed countries, nothing meaningful will happen. Things burning is just a "meh" to most people.

That's already happening. Remember the European Heat Waves, Mexico Gulf Hurricanes, and California Fires?

Even here people deny the extant of the problem and naively believe they can continue living as if nothing's happening. A lot of people believe government or scientists will come up with a magic solution to the problem so nobody has to make any sacrifices or changes.

We have as a society decided our own personal greed is more important that the coming impeding doom of humanity. Thankfully we are slowly seeing a see change in attitudes away from that me, me, me attitude. But by the point a majority is willing to make huge changes Climate Change will have already done a shit ton of damage. It already has.