• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Firstly half of these are definitely faked. I have no doubt.

Anwyay. There's a fine line beteen kids and parents respecting each other.

To be the sort of parent who just randomly switches the TV off is to be a shit parent though. You're pointlessly punishing the child merely to show your dominance. Nothing comes out of it except only to make the child more defensive and in tur. aggressive about it in future.
Honestly most if not all these parents seem to do it in a playful manner and not in a go to your room kind of way. They even laugh and almost apologize for it. I don't see any shit parenting or punishment. It's a joke. Some of the kids even start laughing about the bizarre situation as well.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Firstly half of these are definitely faked. I have no doubt.

Anwyay. There's a fine line beteen kids and parents respecting each other.

To be the sort of parent who just randomly switches the TV off is to be a shit parent though. You're pointlessly punishing the child merely to show your dominance. Nothing comes out of it except only to make the child more defensive and in tur. aggressive about it in future.

Parents have been pulling harmless pranks on their kids since the dawn of time. It's really not that big a deal.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
To those saying the kids should do the same to their parents when they're watching a movie, seems there's an inherent lack of respect there for your parents. They raised you, blood, sweat and tears. If they turn your shit off once for kicks for a silly prank, be it April fools or for Jimmy Kinmel, you simply take it on the chin and laugh it off. You don't get to beligerantly 'get back' at your parents. That's not how a child parent relationship works.

Hell my parents used to routinely turn my shit off any time I was late to come down for dinner, or to do my chores or homework. There isn't some authorative equivalence between children and their parents, that's not how this works.

Seems like a funny video and outside of the children who got a bit aggressive, the reactions seemed perfectly normal and fine. It's not like pranks between parent and child and vice versa, haven't been a thing since forever.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wow at all these kids swearing in front of their parents. And some of them are pushing them around and hitting the phone out of their hands. The amount of disrespect is crazy. My mom would turn off the tv when I got in trouble when I was a kid, it didn't matter if I was watching tv or playing a game, you don't do that shit to your parents. The only good response was from the black kid.

Last edited:

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Couple of layers to this, I think:
  • As a child, you don't have a right to the TV. Your parents can stop you for any reason, asshole reason or not.
  • Kids screaming and convulsing in their tantrum is some overly dramatic shit. Get your shit together kids.
  • Kids "hitting" their parents here are mostly swatting the phone away. They know they're being recorded and they live in a world where any video could possibly go viral and ruin their social life. Don't embarrass your child, film it, then send it to Jimmy Kimmel.

borat

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
Seems like thats why the kids are like that these days, physically violent towards the parent and screaming like at toddler when at pre-pubescent age is acceptable? Not funny either.

Lol. Yeah all kids these days are like this. Not like the good old days. Parents can get arrested for shouting at kids these days, it beggars belief, I'll tell you that. If we even looked at our parents without permission we'd be given the whip, that was back in the 90's though. A different world, oh how things have changed!

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
To those saying the kids should do the same to their parents when they're watching a movie, seems there's an inherent lack of respect there for your parents. They raised you, blood, sweat and tears. If they turn your shit off once for kicks for a silly prank, be it April fools or for Jimmy Kinmel, you simply take it on the chin and laugh it off. You don't get to beligerantly 'get back' at your parents. That's not how a child parent relationship works.

Hell my parents used to routinely turn my shit off any time I was late to come down for dinner, or to do my chores or homework. There isn't some authorative equivalence between children and their parents, that's not how this works.

Seems like a funny video and outside of the children who got a bit aggressive, the reactions seemed perfectly normal and fine.
Exactly. Maybe it's because I'm older, but when I was a kid parents and children were not equals. "My house my rules" type situation. There were many times my parents just walked in the room and shut off the video games. If they decided it was time to mow the lawn, take out the trash, do laundry, etc. Then it was time and the games were going off now. If I dared act like those kids in the video or swear at them that game console would be in the garbage in minutes.

I'm not as strict with my kids (I have three), but I do give them warnings about 5-10 minutes before it's time to turn off the TV. If they acted up like that they'd be lucky if they even saw a video game in less than a month.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Parents have been pulling harmless pranks on their kids since the dawn of time. It's really not that big a deal.

The individual situation, no.

The attitude, both perpetuated by Kinmel and in this thread of "parents can do what they want to kids and kids have to just take it." however is different.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well he's only going to show the ones that are bad isn't he, a good well behaved child that asks their parent why they did that isn't going to be entertaining for Murica. It's also obvious that in some clips the parents keep turning it off just to be annoying until they get the reaction they want.

borat

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
hey guys, maybe of all the hundreds /thousands of videos sent in to the show these were the most extreme/entertaining and is not representative of children as a whole.

/s

this is what kids are like these days; feral, vicious creatures. unable to be tamed lest the law get involved and you get the death sentence for spanking your child. welcome to the new age.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The individual situation, no.

The attitude, both perpetuated by Kinmel and in this thread of "parents can do what they want to kids and kids have to just take it." however is different.

Except its not like that at all. It isn't like the parent is physically assaulting or berating their child or anything like that, they're literally just turning off a fucking video game that the child has probably already played hundreds of rounds of in the past, for a solo prank. That's it. It isn't a big deal. Certainly not one that anyone should be advocating some sort of revenge for. That's not how parent child relationships work.

Hell if my child took it upon themselves to enact in some sort of fragility and anger based revenge over such a prank, I'd consider limiting their play time full stop. No game should be that addicting or important that you can't take a single prank or momentary break in play.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I can't watch the vid at the moment, but if a kid flips his/her shit after a fairly harmless prank like described, it means they probably have an unhealthy attachment to their videogame, or temper issues. Or maybe been playing too long.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Let's have someone turn off the TV when the parents are watching something they're engrossed in, or doing something on their computer/phones they are invested in but is ultimately a hobby. Let's see how nicely they take it.
As a leveled headed adult i wouldn't freak out like a child, for one. If my kid had the reactions like some of these i would make them seriously cut back on what they are playing. It's a video game.

Kind of adults you hanging out with.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Parents do something to piss off their kids. Kids get pissed off. Where's the story here? I like Kimmel but this shit is just terrible.

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the behaviour in that video is pretty bad, the yelling and hitting the camera. The best reaction was the kid who ended up telling his dad to go cook.

Also the first couple of replies to this thread, lol smh.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
hey guys, maybe of all the hundreds /thousands of videos sent in to the show these were the most extreme/entertaining and is not representative of children as a whole.

/s

this is what kids are like these days; feral, vicious creatures. unable to be tamed lest the law get involved and you get the death sentence for spanking your child. welcome to the new age.
Good, people spanking their kids are worthless lowlifes.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Except its not like that at all. It isn't like the parent is physically assaulting or berating their child or anything like that, they're literally just turning off a fucking video game that the child has probably already played hundreds of rounds of in the past, for a solo prank. That's it. It isn't a big deal. Certainly not one that anyone should be advocating some sort of revenge for. That's not how parent child relationships work.

Hell if my child took it upon themselves to enact in some sort of fragility and anger based revenge over such a prank, I'd consider limiting their play time full stop. No game should be that addicting or important that you can't take a single prank or momentary break in play.

Right so you don't think Kimmel is making a video like this for any reason? It's very obviously intending to make out that this generations kids are disrespectful and in need of harsher parenting.

My mother genuinely used to physically assault me, and she always watched and still watches these sort of videos. Compilations of children going on tantrums and screaming, so that she could tell us how she was better than their parents for not letting us act like that.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely nothing like most of the kids in that video. Are you honestly defending that type of behaviour?

Kids and teens are going to act like kids and teens. This isn't shocking or new. On the other hand, it's shitty as fuck to to humiliate your kids on national television. A lot of those reactions were mostly just cute or funny. The ones that were really outrageous, well, their parents are willing to record and exploit them at any opportunity so it doesn't surprise me that much? Shitty parents often create shitty kids.

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's the guy who thought it'd be funny to upset kids about taking away their candy. Whether it's for a gag or not - it's upsetting children for the purpose of entertainment.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
lol at all the people here defending the kids. I think part of the point of this exercise was to show how incredibly obsessed kids are with Fortnite and how prone they are to throwing tantrums over it. The reactions are scary to be honest.

Kimmel pulls this shit all the time like blatantly televising illiterate or dumb people on live TV. This is par for the course.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Definitely nothing like most of the kids in that video. Are you honestly defending that type of behaviour?
Are you honestly defending parents' behavior? They pissed off their kids on purpose. Sure you will see kids' shitty side when provoked. It really depends how bad these kids typically are not this one situation where they reacted badly when provoked.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As a leveled headed adult i wouldn't freak out like a child, for one. If my kid had the reactions like some of these i would make them seriously cut back on what they are playing. It's a video game.

Kind of adults you hanging out with.
Based on the mindset of adults who would do this for TV, I'm guessing that reactions would vary as much as the kids' in this video.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
That seemed ok to me, most kids were laughing with the parents, no disrespect except from the parents here

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
What would your reaction be as an adult if I turned your tv off?
Lol, are you saying that you, a grown adult human, would scream or hit someone if they turned your TV off? I'd hope the natural reaction for everyone here is along the lines of "Umm, why'd you turn off my TV?"

The amount of people equating this and the halloween thing to psychological abuse is absolutely insane, and is a testament to how coddling parents have become. Kids are resilient, folks, they'll be fine. Certainly you don't want to be cruel to your kids (which I don't think either example here falls under), but teaching them to chill out and take a joke will only prepare them for the life ahead. Some of the reactions here, let alone justifications for the little shithead kids' reactions (which kind of show me these kids aren't used to strict parenting at all, the kids feel in control), are crazy.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
lol at all the people here defending the kids. I think part of the point of this exercise was to show how incredibly obsessed kids are with Fortnite and how prone they are to throwing tantrums.
I don't think Fortnite has anything to do with it. If anyone turned off TV when I was playing game that I couldn't pause I would be pissed too.

Dracoonian

Dec 6, 2017
While it's certainly an asshole thing to do I can't ignore the stupidity of screaming and attacking your parent because of it. Interesting generation ... is all I can say about it without getting sucked into that whole wormhole.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Lol, are you saying that you, a grown adult human, would scream or hit someone if they turned your TV off? I'd hope the natural reaction for everyone here is along the lines of "Umm, why'd you turn off my TV?"

The amount of people equating this and the halloween thing to psychological abuse is absolutely insane, and is a testament to how coddling parents have become. Kids are resilient, folks, they'll be fine. Certainly you don't want to be cruel to your kids (which I don't think either example here falls under), but teaching them to chill out and take a joke will only prepare them for the life ahead. Some of the reactions here, let alone justifications for the little shithead kids' reactions (which kind of show me these kids aren't used to strict parenting at all, the kids feel in control), are crazy.
As you grow up you learn to deal with anger better. Not sure why it's so confusing to you.